Fourtitude.com - Digifant with Plasma ignition. (D.I.Y.)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member Hellenic Vanagon's Avatar
      03-26-2018 05:48 AM #1
      Here it is:

Last edited by Hellenic Vanagon; 03-26-2018 at 05:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      1991 Jetta Gli & 1990 Jetta Coupe
      10-30-2018 08:28 AM #2
      Any driving experience driving with it yet? Looks and sounds to be quite beneficial I'm terms of upgraded ignition systems...

4. Junior Member Hellenic Vanagon's Avatar
      10-30-2018 11:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Union Forge View Post
      Any driving experience driving with it yet? Looks and sounds to be quite beneficial I'm terms of upgraded ignition systems...

Thank you for your interest about my project.

Here are some impressions:

In my case the plasma ignition operation is restricted by the Digifant engine management. As a consequence, for the moment, I cannot take advantage of the potential of this type of ignition, fully.

What it is achieved up to know used rather as a supportive system for the special naval/aviation spark plugs I use, (NGK BUE):

Economy:

#1 The spark plugs are not flooded any more with gasoline, (a characteristic of these spark plugs when used with low/normal wattage ignitions), because the arc is so strong.

#2 The fuel economy touches the limit of a 10%, 6-7% being of the spark plugs, (officially by a lot of white papers), the rest is due to the plasma operation.

#3 These spark plugs are immune to detonation/preignition, so I can use the 18% cheaper regular fuel of 95° of octane, (European specs), than the 100°, Ι used to use, (Shell V Power).

#4 So I have an economy of ~ 30%.

Drive:

#1 My plasma seems that works up to 3000 rpm. So the benefits are up to the low/medium rpms. The difference in torque is tremendous. Having a manual 5 speed gearbox, I can now start with the second gear instead of the first. I can walk throughout the town with the third gear without touching the gas pedal at all, even at slight slopes.

#2 The acceleration is much better than previously.

#3 The plasma module, (an old type electronic ignition combined with diodes according to mr. Murakami), works without problems.

Perspective:

With a much stronger plasma module, the kinked arc spark plugs may be used, (Syncrovention), for an even better fuel economy.

More you can find here:

http://www.vwsyncro.eu/p/blog-page_34.html

Thank you for your time.

The Syncro Heresy
      The Syncro Heresy