VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser ? It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!

262K views 3K replies 272 participants last post by  Mr.Veedubya 
#1 · (Edited)
Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser — It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!

So, all that stuff about the Bronco just being a refreshed Everest?... Nevermind! :laugh:

From a big press release about all of Ford's future plans: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...nd-EVs-five-vehicle-architectures&p=110613353

Press Release said:
Ford also plans to drive growth with two all-new off-road models: the new Bronco and a yet-to-be-named off-road small utility – both designed to win a growing number of people who love getting away and spending time outdoors with their families and friends.

“Ford helped start the off-road phenomenon and has majored in off-road capability for decades – from the Bronco to the Raptor,” said Jim Farley, Ford president, Global Markets. “Now, we’re ready to reclaim our rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader.”

Next-Gen Hybrid Electrics: Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

Ford’s new hybrids will offer customers more space than today’s hybrids. On the F-150 Hybrid, Ford will lean in to capability, such as the low-end torque for extra pulling power and the fact it can serve as a mobile generator. Mustang Hybrid will be all about delivering V8-like performance with more low-end torque.

“Hybrids for years have been mostly niche products but are now on the cusp of a mainstream breakout,” Farley said. “The valuable capability they offer – plus fuel efficiency – is why we’re going to offer hybrid variants of our most popular and high-volume vehicles, allowing our loyal, passionate customers to become advocates for the technology.”

Ford’s new hybrid system is designed to be more efficient and less expensive than previous generations. These lower costs – achieved through supply base relationships, using common cell and component design and by manufacturing motors, transmissions and battery packs – with the intention of lowering cost of ownership for customers.

See less See more
#125 ·
Also, it's confusing, the entire automotive community has mixed this up over and over, me included. To the point where I think Ford probably screwed up by calling both of these upcoming vehicles "Broncos." (imo)

#139 ·

#141 ·
The blogs really need to stop using those “concept” photos.

#146 ·
Corvette

The question we should ask is... does Ford offer a 7-speed manual in anything?

#151 ·
The 7 speed rumor won't die probably because it is true... Ford is supposedly working with Getrag on adding a gear to the 6 speed but it is probably intended for use in diesel engines - to get more out of its new 2.0 EcoBlue diesel family. But I seriously doubt it will be coming to anything with a spark plug.

#161 ·
Bronco is delayed about 18 months because Ford wanted to fit the V6 in there which means they have to wait for the next gen Ranger platform to be available. Originally, Ford thought they could get it all done with the existing T6 Ranger but once the engineers got going, they decided it was going to cost too much to make the existing platform take the V6.

So as it stands now, Bronco will be the first vehicle to use the next gen Ranger platform. But the delay also has benefit... it allowed Getrag enough time to finish working on the 7 speed manual transmission which should debut with the Bronco rather than being a mid cycle addition.

#167 ·
Is this the 2020 Ford Bronco?

Ranger-based, short wheelbase, even shorter rear overhang ... sure looks like it.

When spy photographers catch prototype vehicles, they usually look weird, with various mismatched body panels, coverings and camouflage. This one, however, is really bizarre and it's a little hard to tell what it is. New Ranger with Hummer H2 SUT-style micro bed? No, we're pretty sure it's the 2020 Ford Bronco.

Our first tip-off is that this is definitely Ranger-based, since it has a full Ranger cab. It also has full truck ride height. We're confident the new Bronco will be Ranger-based, and it will be off-road oriented, hence the need for ground clearance. And since the Baby Bronco is going to be based on the Focus platform, we can rule that out, too.

Then there's the wheelbase and the shape of the back half. The wheels have been moved way forward, which wouldn't benefit a truck, but it sure would improve breakover angle for off-roading. The back half is also filled all the way to the top like an SUV, not a truck. Plus, it's short and ends pretty much right at the rear wheels, which would provide a great departure angle for off-roading.

So there you have it, folks, your first look at the 2020 Ford Bronco. The prototype's body is pretty ugly, but it's really what's under the skin that counts. The final design should be boxy and tough. Also, if it's going to be closely based on the Ranger, we expect it will probably take advantage of the same turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four found in the U.S.-market Ranger. In that truck, the engine makes 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque coupled to a 10-speed automatic. That's less power than a Wrangler, but more torque.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/28/2020-ford-bronco-spy-photos/

#170 ·
I'm gonna call it ugly.

#181 · (Edited)
My plan is to hold out another year before replacing my 2008 Outback. I was originally planning on going with a Wrangler Sport or even a WK2 GC, but I might have to hold out for this instead... or at least wait until official photo/specs are released. I wonder what it will be priced like as well.

edit - If they plan on releasing a model with a partial soft top, Ford will have my business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.