VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser ? It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!

262K views 3K replies 272 participants last post by  Mr.Veedubya 
#1 · (Edited)
Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser — It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!

So, all that stuff about the Bronco just being a refreshed Everest?... Nevermind! :laugh:

From a big press release about all of Ford's future plans: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...nd-EVs-five-vehicle-architectures&p=110613353

Press Release said:
Ford also plans to drive growth with two all-new off-road models: the new Bronco and a yet-to-be-named off-road small utility – both designed to win a growing number of people who love getting away and spending time outdoors with their families and friends.

“Ford helped start the off-road phenomenon and has majored in off-road capability for decades – from the Bronco to the Raptor,” said Jim Farley, Ford president, Global Markets. “Now, we’re ready to reclaim our rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader.”

Next-Gen Hybrid Electrics: Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

Ford’s new hybrids will offer customers more space than today’s hybrids. On the F-150 Hybrid, Ford will lean in to capability, such as the low-end torque for extra pulling power and the fact it can serve as a mobile generator. Mustang Hybrid will be all about delivering V8-like performance with more low-end torque.

“Hybrids for years have been mostly niche products but are now on the cusp of a mainstream breakout,” Farley said. “The valuable capability they offer – plus fuel efficiency – is why we’re going to offer hybrid variants of our most popular and high-volume vehicles, allowing our loyal, passionate customers to become advocates for the technology.”

Ford’s new hybrid system is designed to be more efficient and less expensive than previous generations. These lower costs – achieved through supply base relationships, using common cell and component design and by manufacturing motors, transmissions and battery packs – with the intention of lowering cost of ownership for customers.

See less See more
#257 ·
A few more details have leaked out. Ford looks to be serious about the add on options for the new Bronco. This data is from a dealer tour Ford is doing for the new Bronco models.

There will be 250+ accessories to customize the Bronco thru the dealer. Not sure if its Ford/Ford Performance branded but this is after delivery.

They will also be certifying dealerships to sell and work on Broncos

Bronco Sport(baby) will be out next fall
4 door Broncos will be hitting lots in 18 months
Pickup version coming 2nd year of run

#261 ·
Ford's own teasers show the Bronco will be very much like the Wrangler, in profile.
Removable doors, will likely require Wrangler-like external hinges on both the front and rear doors.
These renderings just look like the ROW Ranger, with a cap over the truck bed and a modified face.
Ford, hopefully, will be much more ambitious than these renderings.

#265 · (Edited)
That's actually the front grill for the smaller Bronco Scout or whatever it will be called.

This guys here figured it out: https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68372-bronco-grill-insert/

The grill piece is curved, which lines up with Bronco Scout prototype and not Bronco (which has a straight front).

It's also too early to see production molds for Bronco which is a year away but timing is more right for Bronco Scout, which is only about 6 months away.

#266 ·
2021 Ford Bronco: Get the Inside Story Before the Official Reveal
The new Bronco, with its body-on-frame construction, retro looks, and removable doors and roof, is shaping up to be exactly what you're hoping for.

Who has the harder job: a Disney producer assigned to the Star Wars franchise or a Ford engineer tasked with creating the new Bronco? Successfully modernizing a timeless classic means running a razor-thin line between blasphemy and anachronism. Basking in the warm, rosy glow of nostalgia, legions of die-hards with opinions cemented over decades stand ready to crucify the final product if anything is amiss. ...

#267 ·
Curious how accurate that is.

#274 ·
It'll be a four door SUV, it's the only chance it has at survival. I think it looks good, they could have done much worse.

#271 ·
I'm getting strong FJ Cruiser vibes thanks to this particular color scheme and the round headlights.

#275 ·
I'll be curious how the overall length and wheelbase compares to the Gladiator. The Bronco looks like it will have very good approach and departure angles at least.

Overall, I like it. :thumbup:

#281 ·
There is a real chance a Bronco will be the first truck I buy, especially if there is a 2dr 4WD manual setup, it looks great hauling ass over all that terrain. I really hope you can mix and match options and powertrains instead of having like 4 option packages, with no car payments right now its nice but I'll be looking within a couple of years...

#287 ·
I don't get the angst over independent front suspension. In this size class, they ALL have independent front suspension except the Wrangler, and the Wrangler has awful ride and handling on pavement. And yes, Bronco used twin-I-beam IFS from the second generation onward. Bronco II used twin-I-beam (actually "twin traction beam" but essentially the same thing). Twin-I-Beam doesn't have desirable ride and handling characteristics ...

It will be fine. It will ride and handle better because of the independent front suspension. If you really really insist on solid front axle, a Wrangler has your name on it.

Bronco = (almost) next generation Ranger underneath ... and those are going to have independent front suspension, just like EVERY modern pickup truck below the one-ton class nowadays.

#289 ·
I don't get the angst over independent front suspension.
Ford has stated several times they want to take on the Wrangler head on. If that is true the new Bronco must have solid axles front and rear.

In this size class, they ALL have independent front suspension except the Wrangler, and the Wrangler has awful ride and handling on pavement. And yes, Bronco used twin-I-beam IFS from the second generation onward. Bronco II used twin-I-beam (actually "twin traction beam" but essentially the same thing). Twin-I-Beam doesn't have desirable ride and handling characteristics ...
Ist (1966-1977) and 2nd (1978-1979) generation Broncos were solid axle. From 1980-1996 they used twin traction beam.

It will be fine. It will ride and handle better because of the independent front suspension.
It will but it won't be as good off road as the Wrangler.

With a solid axle the passenger front tire in this image would have remained on the ground.

#293 ·
This is very intriguing, if Ford sticks to that they'll sell a bundle. IFS front is fine, plenty of capable off roaders that use it.

#297 ·
The Ford F150 Raptor has independent front suspension. That one seems to work pretty well off road. (So, for that matter, does the Ranger Raptor available elsewhere in the world.)

Lifting a wheel off the ground doesn't matter much if you can get past the obstacle anyhow, especially if it has some way of transferring torque to the other side, whether by locked diff or selectively applied brakes (which is generally how this situation is handled nowadays).

It will be fine ...

#303 ·
The Ford F150 Raptor has independent front suspension. That one seems to work pretty well off road. (So, for that matter, does the Ranger Raptor available elsewhere in the world.)

Lifting a wheel off the ground doesn't matter much if you can get past the obstacle anyhow, especially if it has some way of transferring torque to the other side, whether by locked diff or selectively applied brakes (which is generally how this situation is handled nowadays).

It will be fine ...

Want to know how I know you don't wheel?

#313 ·
I'm sure the new Bronco will have center mounted A arms and will be mid engine because they won't have enough room to mount the engine between the suspension arms. :screwy: KOH race winners have nothing to do with the factory suspension components. It will be the same crappy SLA front suspension everyone else uses.

The Blue Oval is planning to hold the worldwide premier of the 2021 Ford Bronco in April 2020 at the 2020 New York International Auto Show.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/2021-ford-bronco-to-debut-in-april-2020-exclusive/

#302 ·
The people complaining about IFS need not apply. It'll sell fine without them buying it.

#305 ·
There is exactly 1 new SUV sold with an SFA and that's the Wrangler (I don't count the 6-figure Gclass, ain't nobody wheeling those.

Land Rover, Toyota, and nearly every pickup even are IFS. IFS will do for 95% fo the wheeling that an already minuscule number of new SUV buyers will do.

SFA is great offroad if you are seriously rock crawling and getting very gnarly. If you are really wheeling gnarly, you are probably building your own truck, starting with something used, anyway. Or you are buying a Wrangler.

Ford, like Toyota, knows they can satisfy the offroad wants/needs of the vast majority of new 4x4 buyers with IFS while not compromising the on-road characteristics that 100% of those same new 4x4 buyers will utilize most of the time.

#306 ·
I TOTALLY grant that I am not an off-roader.

A locking diff means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground while the one that's in the air doesn't do anything.

The common-nowadays strategy of using the traction control to apply a brake to a spinning wheel, means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground.

And I UNDERSTAND that if you are seriously rock crawling and need 2 feet of suspension travel and lifted a foot higher than stock, the independent suspension is not going to work for you. (Heck, the stock axle locating linkage on a Wrangler is not going to work for you.) For those people, they will keep buying Wranglers. I am quite sure that Ford has done the math, and established that the IFS design is good enough for most people, (actually better for most people due to better on-road manners), and they are better off sacrificing the very small number of sales to the serious rock-crawler crowd in order to get more sales to the average person who might just go on a normal gravel road or pathway from time to time.

IFS works fine for Raptor, 4Runner, all of the half-ton pickups, etc. It will be fine here.

#307 ·
It's not just traction, and speaking of that, brake force "limited" slip is nothing near a true locking diff for when it's needed. The ability of a solid axle is that it will have more articulation than an independent will, in which case it will provide for much better stability in off-road situations. In the picture with the wheel up, perhaps the terrain isn't too tough. But imagine if it's a more hazardous obstacle, having a wheel lifted will make the vehicle much less table, and tipping or rolling can easily result. A better articulating system helps curtail that.

Then there's the general robustness of a solid axle that can't be easily duplicated with an IFS.

For desert running, and IFS is great and desirable, as you're doing higher speeds anyhow.

Nevertheless, I don't think an IFS is a bad idea from Ford's perspective. It will make the vehicle much more appealing to many, especially those who love the rugged looks of the Wrangler but don't use it anywhere near it's true off-road ability.

But I equally understand the frustration of those who wish there could have been a true competitor for the Wrangler, complete with a solid front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.