Fourtitude.com - Ford releases the first all-new 2020 Bronco teaser ? It's gonna have two (or four) doors... Seriously!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
      01-13-2020 01:47 PM #301
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Quote from last year:

It doesn't seem like Ford intends to directly compete with the Wrangler.
      They are gunning for 4Runner more than Wrangler.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-13-2020 02:55 PM #302
      The people complaining about IFS need not apply. It'll sell fine without them buying it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Go to hell, Cabin Richguy.

4. 01-13-2020 03:43 PM #303
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      The Ford F150 Raptor has independent front suspension. That one seems to work pretty well off road. (So, for that matter, does the Ranger Raptor available elsewhere in the world.)

Lifting a wheel off the ground doesn't matter much if you can get past the obstacle anyhow, especially if it has some way of transferring torque to the other side, whether by locked diff or selectively applied brakes (which is generally how this situation is handled nowadays).

It will be fine ...

Want to know how I know you don't wheel?

5. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      01-13-2020 06:26 PM #304
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      Want to know how I know you don't wheel?
      Thought air lockers meant you could get traction from the air?

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-13-2020 06:38 PM #305
      There is exactly 1 new SUV sold with an SFA and that's the Wrangler (I don't count the 6-figure Gclass, ain't nobody wheeling those.

Land Rover, Toyota, and nearly every pickup even are IFS. IFS will do for 95% fo the wheeling that an already minuscule number of new SUV buyers will do.

SFA is great offroad if you are seriously rock crawling and getting very gnarly. If you are really wheeling gnarly, you are probably building your own truck, starting with something used, anyway. Or you are buying a Wrangler.

Ford, like Toyota, knows they can satisfy the offroad wants/needs of the vast majority of new 4x4 buyers with IFS while not compromising the on-road characteristics that 100% of those same new 4x4 buyers will utilize most of the time.

7. 01-13-2020 06:44 PM #306
      I TOTALLY grant that I am not an off-roader.

A locking diff means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground while the one that's in the air doesn't do anything.

The common-nowadays strategy of using the traction control to apply a brake to a spinning wheel, means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground.

And I UNDERSTAND that if you are seriously rock crawling and need 2 feet of suspension travel and lifted a foot higher than stock, the independent suspension is not going to work for you. (Heck, the stock axle locating linkage on a Wrangler is not going to work for you.) For those people, they will keep buying Wranglers. I am quite sure that Ford has done the math, and established that the IFS design is good enough for most people, (actually better for most people due to better on-road manners), and they are better off sacrificing the very small number of sales to the serious rock-crawler crowd in order to get more sales to the average person who might just go on a normal gravel road or pathway from time to time.

IFS works fine for Raptor, 4Runner, all of the half-ton pickups, etc. It will be fine here.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-13-2020 07:08 PM #307
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      I TOTALLY grant that I am not an off-roader.

A locking diff means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground while the one that's in the air doesn't do anything.

The common-nowadays strategy of using the traction control to apply a brake to a spinning wheel, means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground.

And I UNDERSTAND that if you are seriously rock crawling and need 2 feet of suspension travel and lifted a foot higher than stock, the independent suspension is not going to work for you. (Heck, the stock axle locating linkage on a Wrangler is not going to work for you.) For those people, they will keep buying Wranglers. I am quite sure that Ford has done the math, and established that the IFS design is good enough for most people, (actually better for most people due to better on-road manners), and they are better off sacrificing the very small number of sales to the serious rock-crawler crowd in order to get more sales to the average person who might just go on a normal gravel road or pathway from time to time.

IFS works fine for Raptor, 4Runner, all of the half-ton pickups, etc. It will be fine here.
      It's not just traction, and speaking of that, brake force "limited" slip is nothing near a true locking diff for when it's needed. The ability of a solid axle is that it will have more articulation than an independent will, in which case it will provide for much better stability in off-road situations. In the picture with the wheel up, perhaps the terrain isn't too tough. But imagine if it's a more hazardous obstacle, having a wheel lifted will make the vehicle much less table, and tipping or rolling can easily result. A better articulating system helps curtail that.

Then there's the general robustness of a solid axle that can't be easily duplicated with an IFS.

For desert running, and IFS is great and desirable, as you're doing higher speeds anyhow.

Nevertheless, I don't think an IFS is a bad idea from Ford's perspective. It will make the vehicle much more appealing to many, especially those who love the rugged looks of the Wrangler but don't use it anywhere near it's true off-road ability.

But I equally understand the frustration of those who wish there could have been a true competitor for the Wrangler, complete with a solid front.

9. 01-13-2020 08:04 PM #308
      Ford has dragged this model introduction out so long most everyone that wants one is bored with the idea and has been for years now.

That's what you get for hiring a low rent furniture salesman as CEO.

10. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      01-13-2020 09:40 PM #309
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      There is exactly 1 new SUV sold with an SFA and that's the Wrangler (I don't count the 6-figure Gclass, ain't nobody wheeling those.
      The G-Wagen went IFS in 2018.

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      01-14-2020 05:08 PM #310
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

12. Member
      Cars
      2016 Chevy Tahoe LT
      01-14-2020 05:11 PM #311
      People get too emotional about renderings. Teaser shows round wheel wells, render squares then off... teaser shows more vertical windshield, render shows more angled. It’s for clicks and people get their panties in a wad over them

13. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      01-14-2020 05:18 PM #312
      The camo makes it look like they're hiding a factory Ursa Minor Vehicles style top.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213