VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

'17 R & STH Class

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Silver_arrow12! 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been autocrossing for many years now but only recently started racing in Canada where we're following SCCA classing rules.
Last year i ran STU class & this year I'm making further improvements on my car to sufficiently meet ST classing requirements.

Then, I found late last year that SCCA was reintroducing STH class which allowed for boost changes. I've read many reasons for this one of which being cars in ST class were allowed a tune but factory turbo cars ie Focus, Golf R etc are unable to get an aftermarket tune without a boost change.
That said, I now see STH is included in the SCCA schedule so I guess STH is a GO for 2018
https://www.scca.com/articles/2008984-2018-tire-rack-solo-nationals-run-days-announced

I also see there is further notes in the 2018 Rules which excludes '15+ GolfR from STH.

This is where im a bit confused.
I was under the impression Bstreet is where Golf R naturally fell in bone stock form, then as you decided to do some suspension and/or other mods, you'd fall into ST category & depending on the levels of modifications, you could land in STU, STX etc.
Is this not the case?

Ultimately, I'm looking to be competitive on the track but still want to enjoy my car as a daily & I dont want to have to constantly install/Remove my JB4 for race day.

Am I intepretting the rules incorrectly here?
Anybody have any advice on how I should proceed?

See less See more
#4 ·
It's my understanding that the restrictions on tuning forced induction cars are now done away with in ALL ST classes.
Hence the decision to make a new STH class which will allow for lots of the former turbo cars from STS, STX, STF, to compete amongst themselves.
As you've noted, the 15+ MK7 Golf R was and is still classed in STU, not STH. But with the ability to tune it for increased boost, it should have a chance of being more competitive in STU. (The MK6 Golf R was in STX and now STH).

#5 ·
I'm about to give up on STH for my 19 GTI. My original goal was to not add much NVH, because I DD it, run STH, and be competent on the track. I'm using Eurosports camber kit, APR springs, 26mm RSB, Macan calipers, 345mm mk6 R rotors, an EQT stg 1 tune, RSe16's with 245/40 17 RE71R's, LiPo battery. Locally, I run STH, but technically not legal due to the OBD11 changes I've made, we're pretty lax locally. I could also run Tire class with SMF multiplier and nationally, I'd could run SMF or XS, but car wouldn't be close to competitive. I'm thinking of ditching STH and going XS with an IS38, DP, IC, Tune and add another degree of negative camber up front. Still won't be competitive nationally in XS, but it'll be a blast for track days and I should still be able to do Tire with SMF multiplier locally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.