Fourtitude.com - Locost 7 Build Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    1. Member
      Cars
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      06-30-2020 11:14 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      I've always loved these things but I'm not at the point in my life where I'd have the time to work on such a toy (nor do I have the skills). Maybe someday. I'd love to have something along the lines of an Ariel Atom or this but would never spend the 80K on something that is at the end of the day maybe 5K in tubing at best and a 10K drivetrain. There seems to be such a large price range on these things between the 10K homebuilt special, 30K for something like a Slingshot or Vanderhall, and then 50K plus for something like a factory 5 kit car, atom, I feel like there was also a mid engine one that used the Ford turbo engines that I'm forgetting too.

Then when you throw used miata's and 3rd Gen MR2 spyders in the mix there are so many choices for light fun cars for <5K. Did I miss any options?
      The Exocet is a popular Miata-based tube frame car in the $10k-20k range for a DIY build http://exomotive.com/exocet/

There's also the Goblin with a Ecotec-based setup: https://dfkitcar.com/specs.php

Honestly, though, I would not put a Locost or an Exocet in the same category as a Miata or MR2 Spyder. I can just hop in a cheap miata and run errands, get groceries, whatever, and I don't really have to think about anything. Driving the Locost is a lot like a motorcycle: There's a checklist before I get in it - What's the weather going to be like? What do I need to carry? Am I feeling alert and on top of my game? Are there any speed bumps or steep driveways or gravel roads on the route? And if we're talking about more than 10 minutes at highway speed, there's the full-face helmet requirement, just so I don't go deaf or blind from the abusive wind buffeting.

Admittedly, you could build one with, like, bushings in the suspension instead of heim joints, and maybe some ground clearance, and that would help a lot. But it's a really limited-use toy even compared to something like a Miata, at least for me in a midwestern state.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2000 VW Cabrio, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      06-30-2020 11:16 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      I've always loved these things but I'm not at the point in my life where I'd have the time to work on such a toy (nor do I have the skills). Maybe someday. I'd love to have something along the lines of an Ariel Atom or this but would never spend the 80K on something that is at the end of the day maybe 5K in tubing at best and a 10K drivetrain. There seems to be such a large price range on these things between the 10K homebuilt special, 30K for something like a Slingshot or Vanderhall, and then 50K plus for something like a factory 5 kit car, atom, I feel like there was also a mid engine one that used the Ford turbo engines that I'm forgetting too.

Then when you throw used miata's and 3rd Gen MR2 spyders in the mix there are so many choices for light fun cars for <5K. Did I miss any options?
      Goblin! --> https://dfkitcar.com/

Uses a Chevy Cobalt donar bits for that Locost Ariel Atom feel:

https://dfkitcar.com/img/gallery/lar...brick-wall.jpg
      Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-30-2020 11:30 AM #103
      The Pinto was heavily used in SCCA racing back in the day, but I'm guessing that most of the pad compounds from back then would be out of date or not available anymore. Is there an AP racing setup for Pinto/Mustang II calipers?
      DCIVW
      CE.

5. Member
      Cars
      06-30-2020 11:35 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      The Pinto was heavily used in SCCA racing back in the day, but I'm guessing that most of the pad compounds from back then would be out of date or not available anymore. Is there an AP racing setup for Pinto/Mustang II calipers?
      Thankfully with some research last night, I did find that EBC is still making race compound pads for the Pinto/Mustang II. I had forgotten they were the same, and EBC doesn't list them for the Pinto, so searching for the Mustang II was the key. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ebc-dp5016ndx

There are definitely a ton of upgrade options that can get me larger rotors, better calipers, etc, but virtually all of them would be switching to 5-lug. I love the wheels I have, and I just put tires on them, so I'd like to hold off on a 5-lug upgrade for a few years. Still debating, but right now I'm leaning toward fresh rotors and EBC race pads and hoping that is enough of an upgrade to make it workable on track.
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-30-2020 11:46 AM #105
      Also, try Porterfield and Hawk.
      DCIVW
      CE.

7. Member
      Cars
      06-30-2020 11:50 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Also, try Porterfield and Hawk.
      Hawk did not list anything in their application guide, but I forgot about Porterfield, thanks

Cars
      '90 300ZX TT, '99 Spec Miata
      06-30-2020 12:22 PM #107
      Give Mike Puskar at Carbotech Brakes a call. Great company and service, we've used their brakes on our spec miata's for years and never had an issue. Looks like their website lists Pinto's as an option.
      -Dan

9. Member
      Cars
      06-30-2020 01:16 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Slider300z View Post
      Give Mike Puskar at Carbotech Brakes a call. Great company and service, we've used their brakes on our spec miata's for years and never had an issue. Looks like their website lists Pinto's as an option.
      Great recommendation, thanks. I called and talked to Mike Junior and he understood immediately what I needed and recommended the XP8 compound. Also apparently there are different backing plate setups on Pinto calipers so I'll be working with him to make sure I get the right stuff.

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      06-30-2020 03:30 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by DerBaldGuy View Post
      Goblin! --> https://dfkitcar.com/

Uses a Chevy Cobalt donar bits for that Locost Ariel Atom feel:

https://dfkitcar.com/img/gallery/lar...brick-wall.jpg
      I was looking into these for a while. I owned a Cobalt SS/SC in 2006 and loved the powertrain. This seems like a better option than an Exocet but be prepared to spend $20k on a build.
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

11. Member
      Cars
      07-01-2020 09:16 AM #110
      Ordered the Carbotech XP8 pads this morning, they'll actually have to make them and ship them, so it will be a few days. I'm hoping that an improved compound and maybe more front bias will significantly improve the overall braking.

I'm scheduled for another private track day on 8/12, I'll decide when I get closer if I'm taking the Locost or the Corvair to that day - I have a track event in September for the Corvair and it would make a good test & tune day for that car as well - decisions, decisions!

I haven't had time to pull the fuel pump and see what died in the fuel system in the Locost yet, still hoping that it's just clogged with gunk.

Cars
      '90 300ZX TT, '99 Spec Miata
      07-01-2020 10:18 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      Ordered the Carbotech XP8 pads this morning, they'll actually have to make them and ship them, so it will be a few days. I'm hoping that an improved compound and maybe more front bias will significantly improve the overall braking.
      Glad to hear it! Like I said, they're awesome guys. We usually run XP10's or 12's on the front with 8's in the rear. We're not able to adjust bias though. Take a good look at the rest of your system as well, recent fluid flush, stainless lines?

One other aspect it could be is pad knockback. See this all the time from hopping apex curbs and other bumps. The pads get pushed back from the vibrations and your first stab at the pedal afterwards is much longer, less effective, and downright scary depending on the corner. After any sections with hard bumps and especially before the end of the straightaway i'm always taking my left foot and lightly tapping the brakes to push the pads back into place and make sure the pressure is there. Just a few lights taps on the pedal, not hard enough to actually slow the car. It's why you'll see the brake lights flash on a lot of race cars at places you wouldn't expect them to be on the brakes.
      -Dan

13. Member
      Cars
      07-01-2020 12:58 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Slider300z View Post
      Glad to hear it! Like I said, they're awesome guys. We usually run XP10's or 12's on the front with 8's in the rear. We're not able to adjust bias though. Take a good look at the rest of your system as well, recent fluid flush, stainless lines?

One other aspect it could be is pad knockback. See this all the time from hopping apex curbs and other bumps. The pads get pushed back from the vibrations and your first stab at the pedal afterwards is much longer, less effective, and downright scary depending on the corner. After any sections with hard bumps and especially before the end of the straightaway i'm always taking my left foot and lightly tapping the brakes to push the pads back into place and make sure the pressure is there. Just a few lights taps on the pedal, not hard enough to actually slow the car. It's why you'll see the brake lights flash on a lot of race cars at places you wouldn't expect them to be on the brakes.
      Yep, everything else has gotten recent attention - I replaced the pedal assembly with a new Wilwood unit a couple of months ago because the old one had a bunch of slop in the balance bar assemble that wasn't repairable. Knockback is not the issue in my case, it's a nice short firm pedal all the time, it just doesn't slow the car down super-well on the track, and after about 5 laps it starts to fade pretty good - the pedal stays high and firm, but the effectiveness gets worse - and with an open car I can really smell it

Hilariously the existing pads (no idea what they are) show no wear at all after the track day, and the rotors don't show any heat spots. I assume the reason for the XP8 recommendation is similar - the car just doesn't weigh enough to generate a lot of heat in the brakes - but apparently it was enough to fade the existing pads.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345