Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. 02-18-2019 06:44 PM #76
      looks like a blast! any updates?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      02-19-2019 08:23 AM #77
      Sadly this winter hasn't presented many driving opportunities and I have gotten distracted with 2 Subaru rebuild projects. I picked up a $700 Tribeca and immediately threw a bunch of money and a JDM engine at it, which is now driving pretty well and dealing with this constant snow and ice attack much better than the Locost.

So, the car has sat forlorn in the garage all winter and I haven't even worked on it. Here's what I got done in a week or two of tinkering last fall before having to put it away:

Some basic road-tuning with the Megasquirt setup. The throttle response with the ITBs is a little....weird. I have very little "throw" in the throttle pedal, the spring is kinda weak, and the part-throttle response started as a bit...violent. It was actually really difficult to just cruise at 35 mph on city streets. A tiny bump would jostle you because the thing was SO stiff, your foot would move just a fraction of an inch, the car would lurch forward and add 6 mph, you'd back off, get thrown forward again, and it all starts over. Using the live autotuning in tuner studio and some manual fiddling, I was able to smooth this out quite a bit. Fueling is better throughout the range, and I backed off a lot of timing.

It's a very conservative map now, with very little timing that leaves a lot on the table, but it doesn't ping and it responds slowly enough that it doesn't immediately break the tires loose with even small throttle inputs at 40mph like it did previously. I'm running a 6k rpm limit for now but will probably go to 8k with these cams once I feel more confident in the tune. I also don't have an airbox yet, just pod filters, and my "P"CV catch can setup doesn't have a vacuum line to help evacuate the crankcase yet.

I also dropped the rear spring rate. I forget the exact rates now, but I had something like 150-175 lb springs in the back, and after doing some math (275lbs of unsprung weight on the rear of my 1500lb car!) I went for a much softer rear spring. I think I ended up with 90 or 100 lbs. The ride quality improved IMMENSELY, and the car also hooks up much better from a roll. It went from "this thing really wants to kill me" to "I have the option of controlling this".

My winter project list that will probably become my spring list:
      • Build an airbox
      • Make some kind of vacuum connection to the PCV
      • Re-work the fuel system - I'm going to put flex-fuel sensor so I can run E85 and switch to a Corvette-style integrated filter/regulator.
      • Resolve the oil pan issues - I think I might start by trying to make baffles in the stock FWD Escape pan, since that is workable ground-clearance wise. If that doesn't pan out I need to determine which oil pump I have so that I can get the right Caterham-style option from the UK.
      • Get it on a dyno and get a real tune on it

I'm optimistic that this engine/intake/exhaust/cam combo could make 220-240HP. It's gotta be way down from that number right now, and it's already pretty terrifying to drive
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

4. Member
      Cars
      02-19-2019 05:32 PM #78
      Proof of forelorn-ness. Nothing says "good decisions" like living in a place with terrible winters and having 3 RWD cars on summer-only tires that get put up for 5 months every year.
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      02-22-2019 04:48 PM #79
      Did I miss an update?
      DCIVW
      CE.

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      02-22-2019 05:14 PM #80
      awesome progress

if you need any help with ms/tuning things lemme know

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-22-2019 09:23 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      Proof of forelorn-ness. Nothing says "good decisions" like living in a place with terrible winters and having 3 RWD cars on summer-only tires that get put up for 5 months every year.
      Just put snows on the Corvair. It’ll handle winter better than a FWD car will. Of course the salt will eat it, there’s no ABS, and it doesn’t crash well, so there’s that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

8. Member
      Cars
      02-23-2019 11:07 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Just put snows on the Corvair. It’ll handle winter better than a FWD car will. Of course the salt will eat it, there’s no ABS, and it doesn’t crash well, so there’s that.
      I drove Corvairs though several winters as a 16-19 year old. You forgot about the heater being a bit... modest, lol.

They actually do really well otherwise, and the other issue I had was the front wheel wells eventually packing solid with snow to the point that I couldn't steer with the steering wheel. That was a simple problem solved by steering with the throttle!

9. Member
      Cars
      02-23-2019 11:11 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      awesome progress

if you need any help with ms/tuning things lemme know
      Thanks, might do that! So far it runs surprisingly well for a very rough and limited tune on an odd combination of parts

10. Member
      Cars
      05-29-2020 03:31 PM #84
      So, before the whole pandemic thing this year, I decided to splash a little money at the Locost project to help get it more solidly on the road this year. Remember that ground clearance problem? I went with a flat wet sump pan from Raceline that solved it brilliantly.
      https://www.raceline.co.uk/products/...0&SectionID=22

However, now that the oil pan is the most expensive part of the car (yes, it was more expensive than the engine), I decided that gaining 3" of ground clearance and making the transmission bell housing the lowest part of the car wasn't safe enough. I decided to get some 3/16 plate steel and make a skid plate, complete with some "speed holes" for "lightness" and also to make oil changes easy.

Yeah, OK, so mostly it was a good excuse to buy a cheap plasma cutter.

Then I decided that rather than spending the house fabricating some kind of airbox or filter housing, I'd just solve that problem with money as well - and bought a really nice Pipercross setup with a custom baseplate and velocity stacks from DanST engineering in the UK. I was really supporting the cottage sports car industry in the UK this year For the record, both were good, but DanST Engineering was GREAT to work with from across the pond with minimal hassle.

https://danstengineering.co.uk/Parts...-Weber-Delorto

I, uh, didn't take a picture of it, apparently. But I also cut the windshield frame down by 1.5", then had the windshield cut to match. I'm sure this offset the weight gained by the skid plate, right? Also in the name of weight savings, I had to put a nice speed hole in the hood to "fit" the intake.

I also added an oil cooler up front, a charcoal canister on the fuel system, upgraded the fuel pump to a 450lph E85-friendly unit, added flex-fuel sensor and a Corvette filter with FPR and return line to simplify the fuel system. No pictures of that stuff either, because...

The car is currently at a dyno shop, where it's been sitting and getting stored for free for the last month or so, waiting for a professional tune. Hopefully in the next few days it'll get tuned, and should be set up for E85, and 91 octane, and anything in between. I'm hoping to get it on the track this year, and it sounds like there will be a semi-local event in June if I can get the car sorted out and splash enough cash on safety equipment.

11. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      05-29-2020 04:23 PM #85
      That looks awesome! I can’t wait to hear it when you get it tuned.

12. Member
      Cars
      05-29-2020 04:32 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Thanks, I'm excited too. Hoping for well north of 200hp, but frankly it's less about the number than just getting a tune on it that will let me safely beat on it at 7500-ish RPM. It's MUCH quieter now than it used to be with the 2.3 and the 4" exhaust, but it's still quite intense.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-29-2020 04:49 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      I drove Corvairs though several winters as a 16-19 year old. You forgot about the heater being a bit... modest, lol.

They actually do really well otherwise, and the other issue I had was the front wheel wells eventually packing solid with snow to the point that I couldn't steer with the steering wheel. That was a simple problem solved by steering with the throttle!
      I missed this last year, but I agree completely!

Now that you've bought a plasma cutter wouldn't that be the most expensive part of the project or was the pan more expensive than that, too?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      05-29-2020 05:00 PM #88
      This. Loving the Pipercross filter sticking out from the hood .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

15. Member
      Cars
      05-29-2020 05:13 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I missed this last year, but I agree completely!

Now that you've bought a plasma cutter wouldn't that be the most expensive part of the project or was the pan more expensive than that, too?
      Oh, no, it's a cheap Lotos 50 amp cutter, so it's far less than the oil pan.

Plus the plasma cutter also gets allocated to the wagon project

16. Member
      Cars
      06-02-2020 09:42 PM #90
      The results are in for the Locost dyno tune! 191 WHP at 7150 RPM, 169 ft/lb of torque at about 5800.

This is on about E70 corn juice, take 10-12 HP off on 91.

This is also on a "heartbreaker" Mustang dyno, so the absolute numbers are lower than I'd hoped, but I'm very happy with the power delivery. It's much more tractable and still absolutely psychotic with the hammer down. It's definitely making more power up top than with my very rough street tune, and much smoother in the mid-range.
      Other than some wiring cleanup, this wraps up the engine swap phase of the project - I've gone from 88 FWHP to at least 225, and lost over 100 lbs. So long, 2.3 Lima, and hello 2.5 Duratec!

For reference, 225HP and 1500lbs wet means that this car has a power to weight ratio of about 6.67 lbs/HP. Let's put that in context:

C6 Z06 Corvette: 6.2
      Hellcat Challenger: 6.57
      Locost 7: 6.67
      Mercedes AMG C63: 7.59
      Lotus Evora 400: 7.88
      My old Chevy SS: 9.63

Obviously it's not a fair comparison, but it gives a sense of proportion here. Let's just say that it is fast, and with 205mm tires, it has a serious traction problem.

Locost-7-Dyno-Sheet by Armen Badeer, on Flickr
      IMG_20200602_201345082 by Armen Badeer, on Flickr

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-08-2020 10:53 AM #91
      Fantastic progress.
      DCIVW
      CE.

18. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      06-08-2020 11:25 AM #92
      Holy cats, man! Yeah. That’s more than plenty... Very well done. Who knew the Duratec 2.5 was an animal waiting to be unleashed like that? I’ll never look at a base Fusion the same again.

Can you put more tire out back?

How about the whoa—are the brakes up to reeling in that kind of speed?

19. Member
      Cars
      06-08-2020 01:02 PM #93
      Holy cats, man! Yeah. That’s more than plenty... Very well done. Who knew the Duratec 2.5 was an animal waiting to be unleashed like that? I’ll never look at a base Fusion the same again.

Can you put more tire out back?

How about the whoa—are the brakes up to reeling in that kind of speed?
      On tires, the short answer is not with these wheels and fenders. I went ahead and bought new tires in the same size that should be a big traction upgrade (the Falkens on there were from....uh....2006. ). Longer term I'll seriously evaluate bigger fenders and different wheels and tires that would allow me to run 8 or 9 inch wide wheels with wider tires. I'm trying to get prepped for a track day with my local PCA region on the 27th of this month, so I did some work this weekend - got the new tires mounted and balanced (Toyo R888R):

IMG_20200606_141038625 by Armen Badeer, on Flickr

And also added fill and drain plugs on the Ford 7.5 rear diff cover so that I can change the axle fluid more easily. I had a couple of extra O2 bungs and plugs laying around from another project, so they made good drain and fill plugs. I realize the fill plug is not at the factory fill line, per se - I wanted to be able to run a bit more fluid if I felt like it.

IMG_20200606_141018926 by Armen Badeer, on Flickr

On the brakes, it has Pinto front disc brakes and the stock rear drums on the 7.5 Fox body axle. This sounds like nowhere near enough brakes for the level of acceleration, but you have to remember that it only weighs 1500 pounds wet. So far, it's always been able to lock up the tires, and I've never felt any fade, but the race track will be the real test. With Pinto and Fox body parts, upgrades are endless, so I certainly can if needed.

20. Member
      Cars
      06-29-2020 12:39 PM #94
      Did my first track day in the Locost!

IMG_20200627_151956413_HDR by Armen Badeer, on Flickr

Some initial impressions - I'll write up a bit more when I have time, and should have a couple of short video clips for amusement.

This thing is absolutely SAVAGE on the track. "Intense" does not begin to describe it. It's loud, and hot, and you feel everything except for a couple of things that actually you'd like to feel a little more of. Especially above 100mph on a really bad track surface, everything is vibrating to the extent that your vision blurs and you can't tell if it's wheels, suspension, driveline, or some kind of aneurysm.

Despite adding 2" of rear ride height, I was constantly bottoming out the rear suspension with a passenger, and by myself it would still bottom out a few times per lap. "Bottom out" in this case means that the differential pumpkin smacks into the frame, so it's pretty spine-crushing and it's also pretty fun to get infinite rear spring rate while at the adhesion limit in a 70mph corner.

The brakes are NOT enough. They get hot and start to fade after about 5 laps, and it doesn't feel like enough stopping power, frankly. I didn't have much trouble with it locking up the tires at just one end of the car, so apparently my random guess for front-rear brake bias was pretty close, but the car just doesn't slow down from 120+ in a way that gives much confidence. Especially after they get hot and you start to really smell them. I'm having trouble finding better pads for a Ford Pinto caliper (who knew, right?) so it's going to be a decision about how far to go - do I stay 4-lug Ford pattern and upgrade, or just swap everything over to a 5-lug setup and get different wheels?

With about 1/8" toe-in, it doesn't really turn in very well, especially at speed. It's vague and uncommunicative, and tends to understeer a bit, at least until you try to get some weight on the front tires by lifting or trail-braking. Then it immediately oversteers like my rear-engine cars always have - but it's much easier to catch. Dropping the rear tire pressure helped some, it tamed the oversteer a bit. But overall I need to get it to turn in better and be more evenly balanced.

I'm hard-wired for slow-in-fast-out after years of tracking rear-engined air-cooled cars, but this thing HOOKS UP from the apex out and you can just hammer the power down - it just rockets out of the corner up until 100+ mph when the aero takes over and it really slows down. I did a few laps with a really well-driven GT350 and he was faster into the corner, and at the end of the straight, but I flat out ran away from him at corner exits.

It ran cool and strong all day, but was cutting out a bit when below half of a tank, and then at the end of the day something died in the fuel system and it just wouldn't run. Haven't torn into it yet, but I'm currently guessing that the brand-new fuel pump picked up some gunk in the tank and is clogged up.

21. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-29-2020 12:52 PM #95
      Very cool it's been on the track!

Crazy that rear suspension jounce travel is limited by the differential housing. I assume the shocks or axle have jounce bumpers - are they just not set up yet?

22. Member
      Cars
      06-29-2020 01:09 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Very cool it's been on the track!

Crazy that rear suspension jounce travel is limited by the differential housing. I assume the shocks or axle have jounce bumpers - are they just not set up yet?
      There are actually no bump stops currently, and they would have to be really long, there is still probably 3" of shock travel remaining when it hits. I think Bob's idea when he built the chassis must have relied on a really high rear spring rate. I found it to be almost undrivable with the rear end super stiff. Softening the rear springs helps it hook up much better, and makes the ride quality almost bearable, but it exposed this issue.

As Colin Chapman said - "any suspension will work if you don't let it". I've let it move and now will have to deal with that.

23. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      06-29-2020 01:22 PM #97
      Not sure how I missed this but I just got caught up.

Wow to all of it, and I love that you're tracking the car.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

24. Member
      Cars
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      06-29-2020 01:53 PM #98
      That thing is wild. Sub 200hp doesnt seem like much until you look at power to weight. Dang. I'm sure Chad had a blast tuning that thing.

I think at this point you're committed to doing whatever is necessary to improve your brake situation. Its not like you can just go an add some cooling ducts...

25. Member
      Cars
      06-29-2020 10:07 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6JH View Post
      Dang. I'm sure Chad had a blast tuning that thing.

Direct quote from Chad: "That is the funnest 200hp car I've ever driven!"

26. Member
      06-30-2020 11:06 AM #100
      I've always loved these things but I'm not at the point in my life where I'd have the time to work on such a toy (nor do I have the skills). Maybe someday. I'd love to have something along the lines of an Ariel Atom or this but would never spend the 80K on something that is at the end of the day maybe 5K in tubing at best and a 10K drivetrain. There seems to be such a large price range on these things between the 10K homebuilt special, 30K for something like a Slingshot or Vanderhall, and then 50K plus for something like a factory 5 kit car, atom, I feel like there was also a mid engine one that used the Ford turbo engines that I'm forgetting too.

Then when you throw used miata's and 3rd Gen MR2 spyders in the mix there are so many choices for light fun cars for <5K. Did I miss any options?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast