Fourtitude.com - Locost 7 Build Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      09-25-2018 01:35 PM #51
      One of the fun things about the 4 months of title paperwork is that my car has its own VIN, assigned by the state. It's an "Assembled vehicle" but as such I had to prove ownership of basically every part on the car. My paperwork stack is nearly 2" thick. You do have to have the title for a "major component" to start with, and in this case the title matches the T5 transmission from the Mustang. I can't change that transmission now without triggering a bunch more paperwork, even though I don't use the Mustang VIN any longer.

So, here's a bellhousing that adapts the duratec to the T5 transmission.

The bellhousing is great, but it doesn't have provision for the hydraulic slave clyinder. Had to make some holes.

A custom duratec-to-t5 hydraulic slave conversion kit from the UK. Oh, and some custom brackets for the lines.

I swear I didn't spray paint the pressure plate, it's just a coincidence that the ebay pressure plate matches the junkyard's spray paint on the block. The pressure plate and flywheel are for a duratec Ranger, but the clutch disk is from the '88 Mustang that donated the transmission, because the T5 input shaft needs to match the disk. Also I hope you're enjoying the PCV system running to the ebay catch can, I really sweated the details on that part. Oh, and look, another custom bracket for the catch can.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-25-2018 02:31 PM #52
      This thread rules, I've been wanting to build one of these forever. Keep us updated!

4. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      09-25-2018 06:17 PM #53
      This thread took an EXCELLENT turn.

Those are great motors, and I'm sure the 2.5 will be very healthy in that chassis once the ITB's are properly setup and mapped.

5. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      09-25-2018 06:56 PM #54
      im thinking this should make some glorious noises when those ITBs are at WOT
      are you able to repurpose the factory ECU to make the ITBs work? or is there standalone plans?

do you need some different cams in that thing now that youre not targeting minimum emissions? or do guys run them as-is typically?

6. Member
      Cars
      09-26-2018 07:53 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      This thread took an EXCELLENT turn.

Those are great motors, and I'm sure the 2.5 will be very healthy in that chassis once the ITB's are properly setup and mapped.
      I'm a long way from having it tuned well, but so far I think the word rather than "healthy" is "terrifying".

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      im thinking this should make some glorious noises when those ITBs are at WOT
      are you able to repurpose the factory ECU to make the ITBs work? or is there standalone plans?

do you need some different cams in that thing now that youre not targeting minimum emissions? or do guys run them as-is typically?
      The stock cams not only have a crazy profile for the VVT and Atkinson cycle, and they also have a multi-prong pickup for the stock cam sensor. So yes, you do have to change the cams and the ECU. I was able to use a set from Crower that have a single-prong pickup. I've gone standalone and have radically simplified the whole thing compared to the stock setup - I'm running batch fire and wasted spark, so I don't even use the cam sensor.
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

7. Member
      Cars
      09-26-2018 01:03 PM #56
      And just FYI, the kids love it so far. It's their favorite piece of garage furniture, LOL.

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-26-2018 01:29 PM #57
      I approve. The kids seem to be having a great time. Just wait 'til they get to go for a ride!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

9. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-26-2018 01:34 PM #58
      ^ world record set for highest number of Locost occupants.

10. Member
      Cars
      09-27-2018 07:45 AM #59
      In some of the older outside shots, you can see a bit of the old exhaust system. It was really just a header with a 90 degree outlet and then a straight pipe with a side exit. Somehow, the 4" straight pipe actually sounded really good on that Pinto engine, but it was loud. Like "even I won't drive it around the block without hearing protection" loud.

I had to start from scratch with the exhaust anyway for the duratec, so I started with buying a used OEM S2000 header for $60, cut it apart, and welded it to the duratec exhaust flange. Then a 90 degree turn with a couple of slip joints, a collector, a tiny high-flow catalytic converter, a stainless Magnaflow muffler, and a 90 degree outlet. There's also a wideband O2 sensor hiding just out of sight before the cat.

I was pretty excited that I could even use the stock S2000 heat shields! After remaking the brackets, of course.

Overall I'm very happy with this setup. It's not exactly quiet, but you can carry on a conversation with a passenger at residential speeds without shouting. When you step on it, it gets loud, but it's not obnoxious or painful the way the old one was.

11. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-27-2018 07:52 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      Beautiful mandrel bent tubular header looks great. Amazing engineering contrast to that copper pipe.

12. Member
      Cars
      09-27-2018 08:02 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Beautiful mandrel bent tubular header looks great. Amazing engineering contrast to that copper pipe.
      What can I say, the PCV system doesn't really make any power and is much easier to re-do later.

Honda deserves credit for a nice header - I had to hack it up pretty good to make it fit, but it's a really nice piece. I can see why some S2000 guys actually have found that they lose power when switching to an aftermarket header.

13. 09-27-2018 09:02 AM #62
      Nice work. Although, I do wonder if the cat might be mounted too far downstream to light off properly.

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-27-2018 09:24 AM #63
      I hope you have one of those big gnarly heat shields to go over that exhaust/cat. That's hot stuff!

Cars
      2017 A5
      09-27-2018 09:46 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

09-27-2018 10:11 AM #65
      Great project! Good luck! As someone who has spent their entire life around vintage racing, weird European cars and reading lots of British car magazines, a Locost is right up my alley. Maybe one day I'll build one when I get done collecting all the motorcycles I want. I do have a TIG welder, a band saw and many other tools. Realistically I just need a tubing bender.

I don't know that I'd want them in a more normal street car. The GSXR ITBs have no provision for ECU control of the idle - just a screw to hold the throttle plates open. You're stuck with the same idle speed whether cold/hot/AC on, etc.
      I have the same issue with my TWM throttles on my Miata. But since the car is a weekend toy I haven't yet bothered to purchase the IAC valve, fabricate the custom IAC valve block and mounting bracket, wire up power/ ground/ signal wires and tune the ECU to control it. One day I'll get there. For now, I just give the cold engine 2 minutes to warm up in the driveway before setting off on a journey and I turn off the AC when coming to a stop so it doesn't stall.

The nice part with the Duratec setup is that the injector bungs are cast into the head, not the intake, so you can use the stock fuel rail and bigger injectors with the ITB setup easily. I just plugged the injector holes in the ITBs with some freeze plugs and sealant.
      The injector bungs are cast and machined into the head on my motor also. I ended up plugging them with precision machined press fit plugs and using the fuel injector ports cast into my ITB runners. I can't remember whether I used Permatex High Temperature Sleeve Retainer or Loctite 620. Either one should work.

Down the road if/when you want to get real fancy you could use both sets of fuel injectors in a two-stage fashion like F1 cars.

17. Member
      Cars
      09-27-2018 10:19 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Nice work. Although, I do wonder if the cat might be mounted too far downstream to light off properly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I hope you have one of those big gnarly heat shields to go over that exhaust/cat. That's hot stuff!
      Soo... I got from this that it's either too hot or not hot enough. What if it's just right?

For the record, as an assembled vehicle I'm emissions-exempt in my state, so I don't have a smog test. I won't really know if the cat is operating at peak efficiency. I did it as a 'why not' - it was inexpensive and I figured I could improve the smell and be a little nicer to the air.

I am worried about the heat shielding for passengers getting in and out of the car especially. I haven't come up with a solution yet - I'd like to find some sort of expanded metal or sheetmetal with holes that I could form up around the muffler and cat and weld up with an air gap, but most of the options I've found are either incredibly expensive or ugly. If anyone has suggestions I'd love them!

18. Member
      Cars
      09-27-2018 10:40 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Great project! Good luck! As someone who has spent their entire life around vintage racing, weird European cars and reading lots of British car magazines, a Locost is right up my alley. Maybe one day I'll build one when I get done collecting all the motorcycles I want. I do have a TIG welder, a band saw and many other tools. Realistically I just need a tubing bender.
      I didn't build the chassis on my car, but you've already got more tools than Bob and I. I just have a MIG welder, as did he, and there are literally 3 bent tubes on the whole car - 1 for the rollbar and 2 for the back "trunk" of the car. Everything else is straight square tube. I just bought the roll bar pre-bent to my specs for a ridiculously cheap price, and I think he had the rear bars bent by a local race shop.

If I was starting from scratch I'd be tempted to try something like the Car9 plans https://www.locostusa.com/forums/vie...3810&start=270 or a mid-engine build, just to get more weight on the drive wheels. Even at my current untuned power level, traction is a huge but fun problem.

19. Senior Member
      09-27-2018 10:48 AM #68
      Soo... I got from this that it's either too hot or not hot enough. What if it's just right?

!
      Oh it will be just right.

As in that tmep range that it won't get the cat hot enough to work and not hot enough to make you notice the heat from a few feet away but still too hot to touch.

I'll second the cat seems a little far back, being put in the open won't help. A heat shield and or wrap can help both issues.

20. Member
      Cars
      10-06-2018 04:11 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Oh it will be just right.

As in that tmep range that it won't get the cat hot enough to work and not hot enough to make you notice the heat from a few feet away but still too hot to touch.
      Well, the cat is running at about 500 degrees at idle with a 20-30 degree temperature rise between inlet and exit. So I think it's "working" enough for my purposes. We'll see how it holds up.

I didn't detail this before, but I decided to go standalone. I've built an MS2 ECU before for a previous project. Obviously this project spent a lot of time not getting worked on, and my son grew a little in the meantime:

Overall it's a pretty simple setup. I'm using Ford EDIS4 ignition with the stock 36-1 trigger wheel, the GSXR 1000 ITBs, 550cc injectors, and the stock fuel rail.

I had to cut a new hole in the fuel tank for the Chevy Silverado tank//filter/line assembly. The GM setup basically has the equivalent of a swirl tank built-in, which made it cheap and easy. I then ran new plastic fuel lines with an inline filter and an adjustable FPR with the return line. I still need to make a charcoal canister for the vent line.

As usual, I made several stupid errors including wiring the injectors backwards - thinking that the ECU switched the power line rather than the ground line. Eventually I figured this out and was getting a nice fuel flow when cranking. That left several more stupid errors to fix on the ignition side, but eventually I sorted it out and was able to do some test drives and tuning!

After about 4 miles of test drives, I discovered a limitation. When I first set up the engine mounts and set the height of the drivetrain, I put the engine about as high as I could - the dipstick tube and the pod filters on the ITB already prevent the hood from fitting. But when I did this, I still had the Ford Escape oil pan on the engine, and I changed it to a Ranger oil pan with the corresponding oil pickup tube. I did this because the Escape pickup and pan are really unsuited to a RWD configuration, I think any serious accel/decel would starve the pickup pretty much immediately, and the Ranger setup at least makes for a compact deep sump with the pickup well-positioned.

The disadvantage is that it also cuts ground clearance down to about...1.5". I thought I could get away with it if I avoided speed bumps and such for test drives at least, but I was wrong. A tiny pavement flaw in the middle of the lane broke the oil pan.

A brand new pan for $60 and a dramatic increase in ride height "fixed" the problem for now, until I come up with a better option.

Of course, this was just in time for the weather to turn from mid-90-degree temps to mid-50-degree temps with rain, but I still managed to get some miles and some use in so that I could get some tuning done.

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-06-2018 05:42 PM #70
      It doesn’t have to be hot enough to burn off hydrocarbons to sear your calf, dude!

22. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-06-2018 05:52 PM #71
      Can you cut the damaged oil pan to reduce the depth about 2” and shorten the pickup tube a similar amount? If you can cut and fit the pan, you could get someone to heli-arc it back together even if you can’t or don’t know anyone who can.

If there’s some aftermarket fix that’s a bolt-on it’d be even better.

23. Member
      Cars
      10-06-2018 06:02 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Can you cut the damaged oil pan to reduce the depth about 2” and shorten the pickup tube a similar amount? If you can cut and fit the pan, you could get someone to heli-arc it back together even if you can’t or don’t know anyone who can.

If there’s some aftermarket fix that’s a bolt-on it’d be even better.
      You can see that unfortunately it's cast aluminum, which presents serious welding challenges, and it's also a shape that would make sectioning it really difficult. Plus the loss of capacity doesn't excite me.

Thankfully the Caterham cars in the UK have a similar problem since many of them run a Duratec-family engine. I'm working with some UK suppliers to see if I can go with a budget wet sump setup, but there's also an integrated dry sump setup that is pretty trick: http://www.burtonpower.com/raceline-...2-5-fd202.html

24. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-06-2018 06:08 PM #73
      You can see that unfortunately it's cast aluminum, which presents serious welding challenges, and it's also a shape that would make sectioning it really difficult. Plus the loss of capacity doesn't excite me.

Thankfully the Caterham cars in the UK have a similar problem since many of them run a Duratec-family engine. I'm working with some UK suppliers to see if I can go with a budget wet sump setup, but there's also an integrated dry sump setup that is pretty trick: http://www.burtonpower.com/raceline-...2-5-fd202.html
      Oh, I know it’s tricky, but I know some guys who can do it. 🙂

I’d hate to lose a quart of capacity, but it’d be tough to stomach that dry sump’s price tag! It’s the best solution if you can swing it. Of course!

Cars
      '20 Volvo V60 T5 R-Design Polestar
      10-07-2018 01:41 PM #74
      Not sure how I missed this thread. Amazing project!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      10-09-2018 11:57 AM #75
      Yeah, Burton, Caterham suppliers, and people like maybe Rally Power. Brits do love themselves a Duratec swap into many things.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast