Fourtitude.com - My Coastal Range Rally story, or: Roadkill is more fun to watch than live.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-23-2020 02:31 PM #26
      Motors in. But I made a mistake:

Apparently ABAs are interference, no matter what the internet tells you.

Currently waiting for a spring compressor to be dropped off. Good thing I went with arp headstuds, and have another head gasket, plus a parts head. Hoping to have it running today still. Everything else is together.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-24-2020 12:11 AM #27
      And she is back together and running! Drove it half the distance the last motor went. Going to quadruple it tomorrow driving it to work.

To recap these last two days:
      Installed head
      Installed longblock and trans in car
      Thought timing jumped when the motor fell a bit.
      Redid timing off of wrong mark
      Bent valve(s)
      Next day, boroscoped cylinders, found signs of valve contact.
      Pulled head
      Swapped valves from parts head
      Lapped valves for the first time
      Reinstalled valves
      Found valves weren’t sealing
      Lapped valves for the second time
      Reinstalled valves
      Reinstalled head
      Made bracket for coilpack
      Runs!
      -Jon

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      08-24-2020 12:13 AM #28
      ...and you didn't think to film any of this?!

You had all this extra time!

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-24-2020 07:23 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      ...and you didn't think to film any of this?!

You had all this extra time!
      More and more it seems that the rabbit is just a string of roadkill episodes. Come be my film crew.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-24-2020 10:16 PM #30

Is Dad’s rabbit fixed?

Yes, yes it is.
      -Jon

Cars
      '84 Mk1 Jetta GLI ABA S/C, '89 Vanagon Carat Whitestar, '17 Golf Alltrack, '16 GTI PP
      08-25-2020 01:00 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Apparently ABAs are interference, no matter what the internet tells you.
      Yes they are. I sheared a crank keyway during high-rpm "testing" and you could see the faint marks on the pistons from the valves. Just barely, but enough. Was a stock, but mongrel early OBD1 head/OBD2 block combo. Whoops.
      Party time, excellent.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-25-2020 10:28 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle019 View Post
      ...Just barely, but enough. ...
      All 4 intake valves made marks on the pistons, so I replaced all of them. Only one was visibly bent.

Drag race is tomorrow. Set boost to wastegate, which is ~6 psi. Set shift light to 4750. Changed oil from break in oil to Motul Xcess. I will have about 300 miles on the rebuild. I expect to be “slow”, but it is VW night, so it will be fun to hang out with vws, and bracket race with them.

Didn’t get the alignment or Direzza ZIII mounted. So Pilot Sport 3 and a terrible alignment followed by a steering rack swap. Not that my alignment helps at all with drag racing. Or do most dragsters run -2 camber on their drive wheels?
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-27-2020 12:18 AM #33
      Drag night was a success! Way slower than previous runs, but only half the boost and granny shifting (like I should).

No rod bits left on the track either. Got knocked out of the bracket by a 4 cylinder Altima driven by a septuagenarian lady. Was tempted to spin the motor all the way out, but was a good boy.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-30-2020 10:40 AM #34
      Trackday!

First time driving the Rabbit hard in 6 months, and I do it with a bunch of hotrodded Porsche’s on a track with a lot of walls. Man, this thing is a handful. Torque steer and lift off oversteer were the name of the game. Super happy with the feel of the Direzza ZIII on the track. Super communicative, not too noisy. Definitely slick when cold. I am curious how the Continental ExtremeContact’s with the e30 would feel in this situation. Street driving, the e30 feels unflappable. I am sure the lack of power is the key there.

Buuuuuuttttt.... the title of this thread is roadkill, and I got roadkilled

Coming out of the carousel, I lose drive. Thought it popped out gear. Try to grab third again, nothing. Go for second, nothing. Pull off of to a safe spot and wait for my tow of shame.

As I get towed through 3/4s of the track, I start the mental troubleshooting process. It feels like it goes into gear, no real terrible noises. Mentally preparing for a clutch job by the time I get to the paddock. Once I get dropped off, I pop the hood and find:

For those not used to VWs, or have no idea what you are looking at: That is the axle half shaft bolted to the axle cup that comes out of the transmission. When you replace an axle, you unbolt the six perimeter bolts, and remove it that way. It is not like a Japanese car where a snap ring hold the spline in, and that part get replaced. Though right now, it certainly looks like it does. There is one allen bolt in the center of the cup that holds it on, which appears to have backed out. I tried to fix it in the pits, but did not have the proper 12 point triple square with me. I had the one for the stock head bolts, but not the axle size.

So I used up my 200 mile tow to get me home. Going to wrench on it today. Baring any surprises, should have a driving car today.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-01-2020 01:52 PM #35
      Even though it feels like talking to myself at this point, I have to share these pictures:

I obviously need to learn to use the whole track. I’m miles away from the curbing.
      -Jon

12. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      09-01-2020 01:56 PM #36
      I obviously need to learn to use the whole track. I’m miles away from the curbing.
      I'm telling track day Marcelo on you.

Shot of your car in the carousel is money.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

13. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      09-01-2020 02:50 PM #37
      I'd say that's a success if that's all you broke after doing both a drag day and a track day.

If I'd done that? See other thread where RS3 catches fire because of a brake line...except in my case it'd somehow be the coolant.

14. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-01-2020 02:58 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I'd say that's a success if that's all you broke after doing both a drag day and a track day.

If I'd done that? See other thread where RS3 catches fire because of a brake line...except in my case it'd somehow be the coolant.
      This Rabbit's got a quick disconnect transmission! Easily converts from track to street.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-01-2020 07:21 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I'm telling track day Marcelo on you.

Shot of your car in the carousel is money.
      Oof, he may have a stroke watching my gopro footage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

The ‘vette would eat all this up with no issue. I mean, it took Brenden 60,000 miles to kill his LS.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      This Rabbit's got a quick disconnect transmission! Easily converts from track to street.
      Well, quick isn’t what I would call it. It took several thousand miles from the differential install for it to disconnect. . And reconnecting is not what I would call quick.

Decided to replace both axles, since I have has a vibration above 75mph with whatever wheels are on it. They showed up at the parts store today. Might pull them today, got a few hours of daylight left.

Concerned about the differential, since I should have been able to drive with the Wavtrac. The whole idea is that it will still transfer some torque even if a wheel is completely unloaded. Which it didn’t.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-02-2020 09:18 PM #40
      Side effect of a honda oiling the track while I was staging at the drag strip. Impromptu photo shoot!

Got the rabbit back together tonight. Appears to be no lasting damage. Ended up warranting both axles, as I had a vibration above 70 mph. Hopefully this takes care of that.
      -Jon

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      09-03-2020 10:13 AM #41
      Trackday!
      First time driving the Rabbit hard in 6 months, and I do it with a bunch of hotrodded Porsche’s on a track with a lot of walls. Man, this thing is a handful. Torque steer and lift off oversteer were the name of the game. Super happy with the feel of the Direzza ZIII on the track. Super communicative, not too noisy. Definitely slick when cold. I am curious how the Continental ExtremeContact’s with the e30 would feel in this situation. Street driving, the e30 feels unflappable. I am sure the lack of power is the key there.

Buuuuuuttttt.... the title of this thread is roadkill, and I got roadkilled
      Coming out of the carousel, I lose drive. Thought it popped out gear. Try to grab third again, nothing. Go for second, nothing. Pull off of to a safe spot and wait for my tow of shame.
      As I get towed through 3/4s of the track, I start the mental troubleshooting process. It feels like it goes into gear, no real terrible noises. Mentally preparing for a clutch job by the time I get to the paddock. Once I get dropped off, I pop the hood and find:

For those not used to VWs, or have no idea what you are looking at: That is the axle half shaft bolted to the axle cup that comes out of the transmission. When you replace an axle, you unbolt the six perimeter bolts, and remove it that way. It is not like a Japanese car where a snap ring hold the spline in, and that part get replaced. Though right now, it certainly looks like it does. There is one allen bolt in the center of the cup that holds it on, which appears to have backed out. I tried to fix it in the pits, but did not have the proper 12 point triple square with me. I had the one for the stock head bolts, but not the axle size.

So I used up my 200 mile tow to get me home. Going to wrench on it today. Baring any surprises, should have a driving car today.
      I had to go back and look because you said that the flange bolted in with an allen bolt, which sounded odd. And sure enough, you're using an 02A from a TDI. I figured out the hard way that the TDI 02A was the only 02A that used an 02J differential. By buying an 02A LSD and figuring out once the transmission was apart that it didn't have any provisions to be able to bolt the flanges in place. Oops.

Even though it feels like talking to myself at this point
      I'm still following along!

Cars
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      09-03-2020 11:32 AM #42
      As a rabbit owner in the pnw

This is one of my favorite threads of all time.

Just please tell me you put a fuel filter on
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-03-2020 07:13 PM #43
      Yep, TDI 02a. Thankfully the guy who installed my diff got the right one the first time. Too bad he didn’t torque down the bolt.

And yes, I have a fuel filter. Installed one on the original rally.

Here is the difference between track day and commuting on the rear tires. Did 120 miles today, 40 of which were on fun roads at 4/10ths. Didn’t use a 1/10th of the tire.

-Jon

Cars
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      09-04-2020 12:48 AM #44
      That’s gnarly.

I drive like a grandma my tires are 11 years old.

Gotta love Nokians.

Full time on winter tires.

What kind of power levels do you think you have?

Do you have power steering?
      How is your torque steer?
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-04-2020 07:44 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by fastinradford View Post
      That’s gnarly.

I drive like a grandma my tires are 11 years old.

Gotta love Nokians.

Full time on winter tires.

What kind of power levels do you think you have?

Do you have power steering?
      How is your torque steer?
      11 years old? I would be terrified. I have a set of similar vintage on the fox right now as rollers. Thing is undrivable. Tried to take a roundabout at slighty higher than normal speed, had scary amounts of understeer. Parked it after that.

One of the best things is Rabbit tires are so cheap. I go through about a set a year. I am hoping these 200 tread wear “street” tires last me six months.

As for power at 1 bar(14.7 psi), I am making ~200 whp. As I breaking it in, I am only running 6 psi and 5k rpm, which is ~140 whp according to the 1/4 mile calculator. I am hoping to dyno it soon, and bring it up to 17 psi, and get to ~250. Because, someone needs to embarrass the modern mopars.

I do not have power steering. The opposite, in fact. I have a quaife quick steer rack. 3.1 turns instead of 4.0 turns lock to lock. Parking sucks, backroads are awesome. Hardly take my hands off the wheel. Torque steer is a real problem, and the quick steer doesn’t help that at all. It amplifies it, due to the reduction of mechanical advantage.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-06-2020 01:15 AM #46
      Broke 1000 miles on the rebuilt motor today! A couple of datsun guys started a free half day rally. I would guess over 70 cars. Keen safari 911, 205 gti, muira, ae86, kei fire truck, typhoon were some notables. Really good mix of cars.

Had a great time, first half of the route, was stuck in the tail end of the group, and had a nice cruise behind a vintage alfa, and a triumph. Every one pulled off for the mid point stop. I didn’t. Best call of the day, had the funnest road all to myself. Super tight switch backs up the mountain. Definitely a black diamond: barely two lanes, decreasing radius turns, minimal guard rails. Ran the car to past 6k a couple of times. Even at 6 psi, it’s faster than a rabbit should be. Backroad driving almost never requires full throttle. It was not all sunshine and rainbows, a Z4 decided to check his ground clearance by understeering into a ditch.
      I wasn’t around for this, but apparently he was driving super sketchy, and was complaining about how slow everyone was.
      -Jon

23. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Cars
      GTI Sport 6M
      09-06-2020 01:50 AM #47
      Broke 1000 miles on the rebuilt motor today! A couple of datsun guys started a free half day rally. I would guess over 70 cars. Keen safari 911, 205 gti, muira, ae86, kei fire truck, typhoon were some notables. Really good mix of cars.

Had a great time, first half of the route, was stuck in the tail end of the group, and had a nice cruise behind a vintage alfa, and a triumph. Every one pulled off for the mid point stop. I didn’t. Best call of the day, had the funnest road all to myself. Super tight switch backs up the mountain. Definitely a black diamond: barely two lanes, decreasing radius turns, minimal guard rails. Ran the car to past 6k a couple of times. Even at 6 psi, it’s faster than a rabbit should be. Backroad driving almost never requires full throttle. It was not all sunshine and rainbows, a Z4 decided to check his ground clearance by understeering into a ditch.
      I wasn’t around for this, but apparently he was driving super sketchy, and was complaining about how slow everyone was.
      My moto is slow in, fast out. So far it's worked well since I have owned FWD cars since 1995. The one near miss was with my 1999 Civic Si when I managed to make it do a 360 on an on ramp. No off road adventure or body damage but I learned my lesson.

I knew that on ramp well but decided to try 12/10ths. After five or so minutes on the shoulder I continued driving home.

24. Member
      09-06-2020 05:04 AM #48
      Jon, any idea where the upcoming DWA rally is going to run? Will you be taking this car or the E30 or other?

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-06-2020 10:01 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Jon, any idea where the upcoming DWA rally is going to run? Will you be taking this car or the E30 or other?
      Registration opened up yesterday:
      http://www.drivingwhileawesome.com/rallyfromhome

They are doing two one day rallies, one north bay, one central coast. The rabbit is going on at least one of them. Might be trying to do a cheap car challenge for one. Not that I have room for another car.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-12-2020 10:48 PM #50
      Passed 1200 miles. Raised the shift light to 6250.

Also, installed a knock sensor, and knocksenseMS. It has a pot to adjust the sensitivity. The instructions say to adjust it at idle, turn it until it detects knock, then back it off 10 degrees. Did it that way, but it triggered almost instantly under load. It took going back about 45 degrees for it not to trigger. Seems like a lot, when the whole range of adjustment is 270 degrees. Going to have to play with it more.
      -Jon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast