Fourtitude.com - My Coastal Range Rally story, or: Roadkill is more fun to watch than live.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      02-27-2018 09:14 PM #1
      TLDR: I went on a drive with almost 100 other cars in central CA, it broke, we fixed it with parts, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Some of you may have heard of the Coastal Range Rally put on by the guys of Driving While Awesome. Here is my experience:

I had a great running Rabbit Pickup with a turbo ABA swapped in.

Decided it was a great idea to sign up for a 1000 mile road rally, and swap that turbo motor into a rabbit that has been sitting for roughly five years. Also couldn't start on the motor swap 5 weeks before the Rally, and only working weekends and nights. Also decided that we needed to completely redo the engine harness and intercooler setup. Turned out not be an issue. Engine bay looks pretty awesome, and a lot cleaner than what was in the truck.

(Note this picture is mid swap, and not completely representative of what it really looks like)

The plan was to shake down the car the weekend before the CRR, but disaster stuck on Saturday night. As we were dialing in the boost control, the clutch started slipping when the boost came in. (The new intercooler and exhaust setup was a huge upgrade, apparently. Boost comes in earlier and much harder) Do to the holiday, was not able to get a clutch until Tuesday, 3 days before the start of the rally. Not only that, I was not able to get an better clutch than the one was slipping. So, instead of shakedown miles, I was stuck waiting for parts. And maybe even worse, I had to turn down the boost. Also, of note: We did attempt to clean out the fuel tank as much as possible during our down time, as there was an o ring dropped into the clean side of the in-tank filter. (This will become important later)

Last Tuesday night looked like this:

Day 1 of the rally: Roads were epic, fellow cars on the rally were amazing, and the people were even better. After the last stage of the day, met up with a couple other participants just outside of town. Tossed the keys to Brendan (Sold Over Sticker), to get his feedback on the car. Catastrophe strikes. On startup, the car sounds like a Subaru with giant cam. Brendan broke it, must have turned the key wrong or something. Unable to fix it on on the side of the road, or nurse it down the road, I admit defeat and call a tow truck, and have it dropped of at the hotel, where all the tools are.

My co-driver (and co-builder for the Rabbit) and I start pulling apart the fuel system, as the wideband O2 is showing extremely lean. Cleaning out the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump did not change anything, but there were signs of black rubber from that troublesome o-ring in the gas tank. With no other options, we pull the intake manifold off and fuel rail with injectors. The injector filters were also black. A short and cold walk to Autozone, we grab some carb cleaner and other supplies. Doing our best Roadkill impression, we clean out the injectors as best we can in the hotel sink. Leaving them to soak overnight, we attempt to enjoy dinner. You may ask where is the fuel filter. Not on the car. Managed not to install one during the motor swap. Not many corners were cut during the swap, but this is the one that got us.

Day 2: Morning comes, we slapped the clean-ish injectors in. The rabbit starts up and idles! And we are only an hour late to meet up for the rally. Once we hit the road, itís obvious that the injectors are still clogged/damaged with the engine misfiring and and no power. We nurse it to the Autozone parking lot to plan our next steps. The upgraded injectors I used for the turbo setup are stock equipment on F150 lightings. Calling all the local parts stores and the Ford dealerships, no one can get injectors until next week. Sweet talking at the autozone got us behind the counter to check what injectors they did have in stock. Only injectors they had more than 3 of were 19lb injectors for a Jeep 4.0. A little small compared to the 44lb injectors that were currently installed. Same story at Napa. Called a megasquirt expert for his opinion. He recommended adding more fuel to the tune, and see how it changes. Added 20% more fuel. The little rabbit drives better, but still very lean. Add another 20% on top of that. Now the engine is happy enough to cruise.

At this point, we feel we can drive it home, but it was not going to survive the rally or even low boost. Started searching on the used market for a proper set of injectors. Found three options, all over an hour east in the greater bakersfield area. Set 1: Sold. Set 2: 80lb injectors, and the closest. Set 3: 48lb injectors, but a different style, and farthest away. The seller for set 2 was the most responsive, so we start heading out to make the deal. In the haste to make the deal, I did not look up the spec sheet. About 20 minutes away, I pull up the datasheet. Disaster. They will not work. In fact, they will most likely burn up the ecu. Canceling that deal, we start heading to injector option 3. Finally able to make good contact with the seller, and he is available. Could not find any info on the injectors being incompatible. Decided it was worth the risk. Made the deal, drove to a local autozone to install the injectors in the parking lot. Fired up tunerstudio and set the GPS to the meetup point at the end of day 2 of the rally.

Did some road tuning on the grapevine, and now the rabbit is fixed. No longer lean, and able to go into boost with a healthy and rich AFR. Ended up showing up right around all the other rally participants were pulling in. During dinner, I won the award for most epic repair, and also won the raffle grand prize, which was a set of Michelin tires. Even though I missed probably the best day of the rally, it wasn't all bad.

Day 3 of the rally: the rabbit drove great, and had no other issues. There was a crazy downhill section filled with tight switchbacks and no one in front of me. The rabbit came all together for me at that point. The difference in the wheelbase and rear suspension from the truck was super apparent. I could use all the tropes about go kart/rails/telepathic, but those don't really explain the experience, and truthfully aren't what this car is. It does have limits, and you can feel them through the steering wheel, brake pedal and weight transfer. After that section, all I could say that the Rabbit is sooo good. And it is.

I have not mentioned the other cars, or drivers. Not enough could be said about how great everyone was, and the awesome the mix of cars. It was like the best cars and coffee, with great roads mixed in for a whole weekend. HushyPushy was on the rally and took pictures, and I am sure there will a thread in the coming week or so. Sold Over Sticker was also on the rally as a traveling co-driver, and I am sure he will add in his thoughts here or in another thread. So I am unapologetic for only having pictures of my broken car, as such better people will handle that.

Oh, and here is one picture of the car fixed and covered in CRR dirt:
      Last edited by monoaural; 02-28-2018 at 09:42 AM.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      02-27-2018 09:21 PM #2
      Good stuff, OP! You are very adventurous or talented finding replacement injectors like that.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      02-27-2018 09:29 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Good stuff, OP! You are very adventurous or talented finding replacement injectors like that.
      I think it was mostly lucky. Old injectors were EV1, new ones are EV14. There is a big difference, as I got almost 30% better fuel mileage on the way home than I ever got in the truck with the same AFRs.
      Last edited by monoaural; 02-27-2018 at 09:38 PM.
      -Jon

5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-27-2018 10:30 PM #4
      While this rally doesnít actually get awarded a winner, Jon won the rally. Let me preface this.

Last year I was going to bring my E9 for a 1,000 mike adventure through California. I sold my E9 (stupid) so I brought my SS. This year? Didnít bring my SS. Why? I didnít have an adventure. I had three days of driving a modern car.

Jon? Jon had an adventure. Sadly his adventure started after I invited him to join us at a vineyard to do some post rally wine tasting. Iím fancy.

Get in his Rabbit, and nope nope nope. DOA. We were supposed to head to Firestone Walker for some barrel aged imperial stouts, but the Rabbit was being pissy. In anti Top Gear fashion I didnít ditch him, and we got towed.

I was texting Jon for updates on day two since nobody wanted him to drop, plus my bud from Speed Hunters wanted to do something with Jon and his car. I was ****ing elated when Jon rolled up to dinner on day two.

I was standing with my buds from DWA when they were chatting about who wins what, and before I could even say that Jon deserved an award, they cut me off to discuss which award of many he should get. He was a contender for who put in the most effort to get there, and the most effort to continue. Here I was hoping for a caught most sideways award and Jon is up for multiple ones, but then the rally organizers said they need to spread the love and only give him one so someone else can get something. Guy that won the other did a lot of work to a 70ís Ferrari as I recall.

Imagine my surprise when Jon not only got the award I heard my friends discuss, but also the Michelin prize. Last year I won a set of Fifteen52 beer coasters and I was thrilled.

So while he didnít get to bomb on some epic roads on day two, Jon won the rally, and everyone there, including er Mah gerd Jason Camissa was rooting for him and stoked that all of his hard work paid off.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      02-27-2018 10:37 PM #5
      sounds like fun! Although I really like how your pick up looks.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      02-27-2018 11:07 PM #6
      Thanks for sharing! People say they had an "adventure" but you definitely lived through one.

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      02-28-2018 01:15 AM #7
      +1 point for using the word 'tropes'.

02-28-2018 08:23 AM #8
      At first I thought you were crazy. But despite your self-inflicted hardships, I must say it all turned out better than I expected when I first started reading your story. Bravo. Also, you people in CA have it so easy with your dry climate and minimal rust issues. All you really have to worry about is mechanical stuff!

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      02-28-2018 09:40 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      At first I thought you were crazy. But despite your self-inflicted hardships, I must say it all turned out better than I expected when I first started reading your story. Bravo. Also, you people in CA have it so easy with your dry climate and minimal rust issues. All you really have to worry about is mechanical stuff!
      Very true. The pictures donít really show it, but this is a ďpatinaĒ car. Rain rails are rusty, paint is blasted on the roof, that kind of stuff. But underneath, it looks brand new.

Between the weather, roads and landscapes itís hard to want to leave California.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      03-03-2018 11:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      So while he didnít get to bomb on some epic roads on day two, Jon won the rally, and everyone there, including er Mah gerd Jason Camissa was rooting for him and stoked that all of his hard work paid off.
      Thanks for the kind words. You still broke it.
      -Jon

12. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-07-2018 03:35 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by monoaural View Post
      Thanks for the kind words. You still broke it.
      I sure did! I twisted the key far too hard and caught the fuel pump by surprise.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-17-2020 08:55 PM #12
      Iíve realized I donít really have a build thread for the rabbit, and this thread is the genesis of the crazy thing. To start, some pictures:

Pictures from the BAT application, when my buddy owned it:

CRR2018, hushyshot style(Sorry, my captions go on top Matt

Some pictures of the evolution

CRR north, or that time the turbo and cylinder 3 failed creating a bond like smoke screen

That time I was in a Radwood ad.

Radwood SF 2
      Last edited by Bad Rabbit Habit; 08-17-2020 at 09:27 PM.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-17-2020 09:00 PM #13
      Rally to Radwood LA 2. Smallest tire, biggest turbo

Photo credit to Kiznarsh

The command center:

CRR Rewind, 2019

The wettest Radwood, Sonoma.

New wheels!
      Last edited by Bad Rabbit Habit; 08-17-2020 at 09:31 PM.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-17-2020 09:21 PM #14
      Third Radwood SF

CRR Sierra

A couple of Hushyshots on Sierra:

The mopars didn't know what was coming. Best so far is a 14.02 @100. Mopars are safe.

Out of order, but a cool comparsion

And where we are now.
      Last edited by Bad Rabbit Habit; 08-17-2020 at 09:37 PM.
      -Jon

16. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      08-17-2020 09:43 PM #15
      Great to see the evolution of this beastly VW.

It's amazing how a change of wheels and tires make the fender flares stand out. It's kinda like Milana Veyntrub's boobs: they were always there, but it takes the right setup to really appreciate them.

How much does this car weigh currently? 1800 lb? 1900?

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-17-2020 10:31 PM #16
      Wow, image sizes all over the place. Hopefully most people are on tapatalk.

To get it out of the way, here is the current build. Hold on tight, its kinda ridiculous

ABA 2.0 8v
      GT28RS
      Megasquirt
      TT 268 Turbo cam
      JE 9.6:1 Forged Pistons
      Arp rod bolts and head studs
      O2A TDI transmission
      Wavtrac LSD
      Fastbunnywerks Hydro clutch conversion
      CK2W Rod shifter conversion

ST Coilovers
      Fastbunnywerks raised strut mounts
      USRT roll center and bump steer correction (formerly SCCH)
      Strut and lower bars
      Factory GTI rear sway, no front
      Quaife quick steer rack

Corrado seats
      Speedhut cluster replacing the factory mono gauge
      Empi shifter
      Super stealth BT stereo hidden in factory stereo

The car is basically the RS version of a rabbit. Or extremely base, if it isnít a Porsche. Fixed back seats, including rear. Yes, a hatchback with a rear seat that doesnít fold. No rear wiper or defroster, no cigarette lighter, no color matched interior, no parcel shelf or speaker trays, no trip odometer.

With all my junk added on (subwoofer!) and a half tank of gas, it crosses the scales just under 2000lbs.

So, the last picture shows it on a tow truck. Here is some backstory:

Motor 1, 200k mile long block, 10k boosted, wore out ring on cylinder 3 during a DWA rally. Made awesome smoke rings. Burning a quart of oil every 100 miles

Motor 2, motor from a wrecker. No history, cam lobs were rusted from sitting. 7k miles until bearings failed, started knocking.

Motor 3, 80k mile motor from a fellow vw guy. Switched over from distributor to a waste spark coil pack. Made some timing mistakes, lasted 60 miles until I pinged it to death. Doh.

Motor 4, is currently being installed. This one has proper ring gaps for boost, and forged pistons.

It wouldnít be a badrabbithabit thing if I wasnít on a mad crunch for an event. This time, itís VW night at local drag strip on the 25th, a track day for 88 and back cars on the 29th. So, two more weekend days to finish swapping in the motor, plus 3 days to break it in. Right now, the new short block is attached to the trans, head is at the machine shop. Waiting on a oil cooler gasket and crank pully/bolt.

Before you think I am completely crazy, I am planning on running ďonlyĒ 6 psi for both events, not the normal 14.7 I run.
      -Jon

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-17-2020 10:49 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Great to see the evolution of this beastly VW.

It's amazing how a change of wheels and tires make the fender flares stand out. It's kinda like Milana Veyntrub's boobs: they were always there, but it takes the right setup to really appreciate them.

How much does this car weigh currently? 1800 lb? 1900?
      1980lbs with a half tank of gas was the last time I weighed it. That was with the 020 trans, so itís probably just over 2k now. I am planning on some recaros to drop weight from the corrado seats, those things are heavy. I wish I weighed it before everything. The stock seats didnít weigh anything, nor did the tiny peashooter exhaust. The 2.5in exhaust probably adds 30 lbs, and the seats something similar. The turbo, cast manifold, 19mm of cast block height, and extra gear in the trans, subwoofer and amp all add up pretty quick. I wonder if it was sub 1800 stock. People throw around 1850 for mk1s, but a base 80 is an odd ball.
      -Jon

Cars
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      08-18-2020 07:24 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      The command center:
      Dude great car and story, it's a bummer that the fuel system let you down. I can't get over how cool this tacho/speedo combo looks. I just noticed the gauges in the center stack too, Innovative or someone else should really do a wideband that matches the gauge layout of those VDOs.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-18-2020 07:34 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoron View Post
      Dude great car and story, it's a bummer that the fuel system let you down. I can't get over how cool this tacho/speedo combo looks. I just noticed the gauges in the center stack too, Innovative or someone else should really do a wideband that matches the gauge layout of those VDOs.
      AEM makes an analog wideband that close enough. Next time the Innovate kills a sensor, I will probably pull the trigger

And this is why you let off if you think you hear pinging:

And here is what it looked like halfway through last sunday
      Last edited by Bad Rabbit Habit; 08-18-2020 at 07:37 AM.
      -Jon

Cars
      mk4 GTI, F350, RD1 CRV
      08-18-2020 08:13 AM #20
      killer car and thread

sub'd
      @saugster_pnw

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      08-18-2020 12:04 PM #21
      1980lbs with a half tank of gas was the last time I weighed it. That was with the 020 trans, so itís probably just over 2k now. I am planning on some recaros to drop weight from the corrado seats, those things are heavy. I wish I weighed it before everything. The stock seats didnít weigh anything, nor did the tiny peashooter exhaust. The 2.5in exhaust probably adds 30 lbs, and the seats something similar. The turbo, cast manifold, 19mm of cast block height, and extra gear in the trans, subwoofer and amp all add up pretty quick. I wonder if it was sub 1800 stock. People throw around 1850 for mk1s, but a base 80 is an odd ball.
      At this point might as well shave your beard, put in contacts, and go commando to further reduce weight.

Plus a custom built titanium exhaust.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-18-2020 08:44 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      At this point might as well shave your beard, put in contacts, and go commando to further reduce weight.

Plus a custom built titanium exhaust.
      Probably take off the turbo too.
      -Jon

24. Member
      08-18-2020 10:20 PM #23
      a track day for 88 and back cars on the 29th
      Got deets? Space still available? I want to come play.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      08-18-2020 10:23 PM #24
      And FCP euro has failed me.

Ordered Sunday night, got tracking Monday at 7 pst, package picked up Tuesday evening.

I need to go through my parts hoard, as that order has a new crank pulley and bolt. I believe I have an extra new crank bolt. I may have double ordered a pulley too. Everything else in that order wonít stop me from getting the car running.
      -Jon

26. Member
      08-19-2020 10:36 AM #25
      A couple of Hushyshots on Sierra:
      Nice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast