Fourtitude.com - The casings bucket... CSBs, musings, gear Qs...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      05-16-2018 10:34 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Saw on TTAG a review for RIA's "Baby Rock." Compact carry 1911 chambered in .380. $460 MSRP. Positive review on TTAG.

Why I'm interested in a compact .380? The barrel is 3.75", a bit longer than the competition (P238, Mustang, etc.).
      I don't get the mini 1911 thing. I've shot the Remington one. It's a cool item, but one that doesn't seem to do anything well. As a range toy, It's more expensive to shoot than the millions of compact 9s. As a defense gun, if I'm going to carry a single stack 380 and live with the negatives such as reduced capacity and power, it's because I want it as concealable and light as possible (and flat. Flat is important to me because I'm skinny). Mini 1911 isn't nearly as concealable as an lcp, bodyguard, etc.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      05-16-2018 12:19 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      I don't get the mini 1911 thing. I've shot the Remington one. It's a cool item, but one that doesn't seem to do anything well. As a range toy, It's more expensive to shoot than the millions of compact 9s. As a defense gun, if I'm going to carry a single stack 380 and live with the negatives such as reduced capacity and power, it's because I want it as concealable and light as possible (and flat. Flat is important to me because I'm skinny). Mini 1911 isn't nearly as concealable as an lcp, bodyguard, etc.
      It wouldn't be for me, but for my wife.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

4. Junior Member
      Cars
      2017 Jetta 1.8T Sport
      07-13-2018 03:57 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      My co-owned 92. Well, not anymore. My buddy announced that he wants to get this ceracoated because the slide was painted over the original finish at some point (it is pretty poorly done but I'd just leave it alone). Since I don't agree he handed me my $ back. I'm ordering my own but I have to make sure I'm going to get one with a blued slide. This one ate every round we fed it without a single issue the other night. Hell of a gun for $300 all in.
      Couldn't pass this up. Got one of the surplus 92s for $285. Very nice shooting gun. The grip is large for my hands, but I can get used to it. And the short, black sights, well, they suck. But a little nail polish and they're much better.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Mazda3, LS400
      08-21-2018 10:46 AM #54
      Has anybody used a CMMG .22 conversion kit for an AR? I have been thinking about picking one up for plinking and would like to hear more thoughts or first-hand experience opinions. The reviews I have read online seem generally positive

7. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      09-10-2018 03:34 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by dk58 View Post
      Has anybody used a CMMG .22 conversion kit for an AR? I have been thinking about picking one up for plinking and would like to hear more thoughts or first-hand experience opinions. The reviews I have read online seem generally positive
      I haven't, but I do build 22lr ARs with CMMG parts. The difference between a conversion kit and a dedicated BCG is a single part.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to address them. There is a video by a fellow, 22Plinkster, who exhibits fair accuracy with a conversion kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNT-5OnT0w
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Cars
      Mazda3, LS400
      09-10-2018 04:11 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      I haven't, but I do build 22lr ARs with CMMG parts. The difference between a conversion kit and a dedicated BCG is a single part.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to address them. There is a video by a fellow, 22Plinkster, who exhibits fair accuracy with a conversion kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNT-5OnT0w
      Thanks! I will shoot you a PM if I have any questions in the future.

I ended up just buying a 10/22 that I might change the stock on. The price on the conversion kit was hard to swallow when I could just buy a 10/22 for the same price.

9. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      09-10-2018 04:50 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by dk58 View Post
      Thanks! I will shoot you a PM if I have any questions in the future.

I ended up just buying a 10/22 that I might change the stock on. The price on the conversion kit was hard to swallow when I could just buy a 10/22 for the same price.
      I've noodled around with 10/22s for a long time, but I've been getting rid of my spare parts.

The downsides of the 10/22 I see are:

-they can't be cleaned with a rod from the breach without modification
      -the receiver that connects optics to barrel is a weak point
      -though there are excellent triggers available in the aftermarket, they are very expensive

The downsides of the AR in 22lr are:
      -insufficient bolt weight
      -firing pins that don't stand up to some hammers well
      -not all bolt systems work with all last round bolt hold open arrangements.

Unless you enjoy tinkering, the 10/22 is a better choice imo.
      Last edited by zukiphile; 09-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      11-12-2018 11:18 PM #58
      This thread is a great idea! Thanks, OP!

I am right handed. I've been rehabilitating from left thumb ligament reconstruction after a work related injury and just finished OT. I'm fealing confident enough to go shooting again and will try to do so in the next coupla weeks. Looking forward to it!
      Gone and missed: '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

11. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      11-15-2018 12:51 PM #59
      Ugh. More inept legislation, but this will be horrible.
      https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...5%22%5D%7D&r=1

HB 7115 is aimed at banning 3D guns and 80% lowers. They want to prohibit the sale and manufacture of all things 3D and 80% lowers, and related items.

Meaning parts kits.

The law is loosely written, and it's horrible. If this ever gets passed and signed into law, parts kits will be illegal to sell and/or buy. So for the millions of AR-15s, AR-10s, etc., owners, if you want a new trigger, or fix a broken piece, or change your buffer spring, you're SOL. There will be no parts. No grandfather clause. No exception for gunsmiths.

If your gun breaks, there will be no parts available. Because "parts kit" is broad and unspecific.

I'm pretty sure the law would be challenged and successfully overthrown by the court because it's a really wide brush/big blanket.

(2) the term “assault weapon parts kit” means any part or combination of parts designed and intended to enable a consumer who possesses all such necessary parts to assemble a semiautomatic assault weapon;
      So make sure you contact the committee heads to tell them to f off (politely).

It also creates a registry owned by the AG.
      “(2) INFORMATION ON COMPLIANCE WITH, AND ENFORCEMENT OF, THIS SECTION.—The Attorney General shall maintain, and make available on request, information on—“(A) the number of serial numbers and identifying marks issued under this section; and
      “(B) the number of arrests for violations of this section.”.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

Cars
      17' Golf Alltrack
      11-15-2018 01:07 PM #60
      Is it constructive intent if I have a lathe with aluminium and steel stock?

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      12-02-2018 03:25 AM #61
      Evenin' all.

I need a bipod for rifles. Recommendations? Swivel and foldable would be optimal.

Thanks in advance!
      Gone and missed: '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

14. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      12-04-2018 03:14 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by flygliii View Post
      Evenin' all.

I need a bipod for rifles. Recommendations? Swivel and foldable would be optimal.

Thanks in advance!
      I cannot help you.

WA I-1639 goes partly in effect Jan 1. Semi-automatic rifles are going to be a PITA to buy soon.

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      12-28-2018 02:32 PM #63
      I need a bipod for rifles. Recommendations?
      I found a relatively cheap one to try before investing in something more hardcore.

Recommendations still welcome.

16. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      02-26-2019 03:49 PM #64
      I get texts from Moms Demand Action. Just got one that said "WA state doesn't require testing to carry a gun."

WA also doesn't require testing to vote. To speak. To dress.

I mean, really. How stupid are these people? So lame.

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      02-26-2019 04:46 PM #65
      What do you expect from a bunch of useful idiots?

18. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      02-26-2019 06:10 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      What do you expect from a bunch of useful idiots?
      Who says they're useful?

I was talking to a coworker about how the process works- permits, background checks, etc. He asked if you needed to take a hunter safety course before you get a permit. I said I don't know, they don't have permits for what I hunt- Humans. lol.

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      02-26-2019 09:28 PM #67
      It’s not a literal term. IIRC it can be attributed to Lenin describing communist propagandists in the West.

20. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      02-27-2019 03:16 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      It’s not a literal term. IIRC it can be attributed to Lenin describing communist propagandists in the West.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      03-04-2019 12:01 PM #69
      I found a relatively cheap one to try before investing in something more hardcore.

Recommendations still welcome.
      And now the adapter plate for it...

22. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      03-04-2019 12:07 PM #70
      My drive home Friday I got a text from my sister. Short story- her husband bought a 12 gauge and wants to keep it under the bed. I told her why not, I sleep with mine under my pillow.

She wants to get a handgun, for self defense. For a variety of reasons that delve into family s**t, suffice it to say a Glock or mechanically similar firearm will be mishandled. She won't buy a 1911 because money and because ignorance.

For simplicity sake, I told her she needs to get a Springfield XD Mod2. Great capacity, solid reliablity, rail for light, grip safety, etc. I told her don't get a small compact pistol. She thanks me for helping out. They're going Saturday to pick one out.

I get a text Saturday.

Taurus G2c.

F**k. Next time I'll just tell her to get a 4-shot Derringer.

23. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      03-04-2019 01:00 PM #71

F**k. Next time I'll just tell her to get a 4-shot Derringer.
      The MrGunsnGear fellow likes those. Is it any worse than a Keltec, or the Ruger copies of the Keltec?

I'm assuming they don't have children at home. Storing a shotgun under a bed would mean that it is quickly discovered.
      Last edited by zukiphile; 03-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.

24. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      03-04-2019 01:43 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      The MrGunsnGear fellow likes those. Is it any worse than a Keltec, or the Ruger copies of the Keltec?

I'm assuming they don't have children at home. Storing a shotgun under a bed would mean that it is quickly discovered.
      Ugh. If my sister had kids I'd weep for the future.

25. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      03-25-2019 01:22 PM #73
      Good news coming out of Chiraq and the state of Lincoln. A few court decisions in favor of 2A. No final determination made yet, as the IL AG is continually wasting taxpayer monies, BUT so far the courts have ruled FOID as unconstitutional. The judgement of the court does leave it open for the state to rewrite the law to allow them, but basically the logic is:

1. FOID is a monetary burden
      2. FOID have to be on the person whenever they are around or possess a firearm and/or ammo
      3. Untenable situation to require FOID to be on your person 24/7, as the law is written

Other news...

An acquaintance who has access to a 3-d printer just took $750 from our state taxpayers through the $150,000 buy-back program for bump-stocks*. And in the other Washington, a few court cases have been in favor of bump-stocks. Unfortunately, the decisions only affect the parties of the lawsuit, not all citizens of DC or USA. But overall, it looks like the horrific twisting of the law regarding bump-stocks might come to an end.

*I've never wanted a bump-stock, and don't really have any desire to have a weapon equipped with one. But if someone else wants one, who am I to dissuade them? Secondly, it's a part. It is not the firearm. Therefore, a bump-stock cannot be considered a machine gun. That's like saying putting a racing crate engine in a street car makes your street car a race car and illegal to drive on the road.

Bought some more parts for the AR. At this pace, I might have it finished by the 2024 election cycle.

26. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      04-07-2019 09:20 PM #74
      M&P M2.0 9mm 5" FDE for $419 online. Very, very tempting. With transfer and tax, it'd still be less than what I can find locally.

27. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      04-08-2019 07:53 AM #75
      M&P M2.0 9mm 5" FDE for $419 online. Very, very tempting. With transfer and tax, it'd still be less than what I can find locally.
      I like everything about that but the hinged trigger dingus. Have you handled the SIG equivalent?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast