VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

RS3 issues thread

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  phospher5 
#1 · (Edited)
As the title states.

Post up your issues.

My RS came with the exhaust rattle issue that a few other have had- It has been fixed by way of replacement of the muffler. It was bad on cold startups but also loose sounding while driving around in anything other than sport mode at times.

I also had a CEL- This lead to a PCV valve replacement.

Car has 5500k on it and there's another CEL....... who knows what it is this time. No loss of power or rough idle so I'm not overly worried. Update when I get one.

Edit: The CEL went away... I did a few good launches and opened it up harder than I had in a while and it simply went away. I expect when I go for service they will let me know what the light was for but it was on for about 4 days and has been off for about 4 now as well.

#2 ·
Two CEL lights so far. The first one was a few months after I got the car. Dealer said the code was for running lean. Dealer erased the code but did nothing otherwise, said it wasn't unusual for a new car.

Second CEL light just happened this week. I still don't know what it is given the dealer is 45 minutes away. I'm planning on buying on OBDII reader this weekend to see what the code is before I make an appointment.

#3 ·
My RS also came with the exhaust rattle issue. Could hear it on the very first day as they pulled the car in the delivery room. I was like "what the....!" But as other experienced, in full Dynamic/Sport Mode it went away as the rattle originated from the driver's side flapper. Issue was checked early in August and the cat-back muffler ordered from Germany and replaced at the end of September. Cold start-ups are still crappy for a few seconds but I can at least now drive it in Comfort mode without shame (not that it happens often;)).

Panoramic sunroof was also adjusted since it was noisy when cracked open. Still is and from what I heard; this is a lost cause on this platform. When the car has been in the sun for hours at outside temperature above 86F, the sunroof makes horrible noises when opening and closing. Soon as the car cools off, it's gone. Pathetic :facepalm:

Got a Tire Pressure warning on my winter tire set after driving a few hundred miles on them. Check pressure; all fine although a bit lower than suggested. Did a reset through the MMI and running fine so far.

Other than that, no CEL but the car only has 3,800 some miles on it yet. Can't wait for summer to be back to put more miles on it !

#5 ·
My RS also came with the exhaust rattle issue. Could hear it on the very first day as they pulled the car in the delivery room. I was like "what the....!" But as other experienced, in full Dynamic/Sport Mode it went away as the rattle originated from the driver's side flapper. Issue was checked early in August and the cat-back muffler ordered from Germany and replaced at the end of September. Cold start-ups are still crappy for a few seconds but I can at least now drive it in Comfort mode without shame (not that it happens often;)).
Well....my exhaust started to make the rattling noise again as I drive in Regular/Comfort mode :mad:. It is also super noisy on start-ups. Has anyone started to manufacture aftermarket exhausts for the RS3? The blackout tips are also starting to flake. :thumbdown:

#7 ·
I'm not overly worried. I had issues with all my VWs and Audis but none of them were insurmountable. I even had a clutch replaced in a gti at around 12 k because the dealer noticed an issue from the factory related to a vibration dampening plate.

This thread is really meant to help some of us share info for problem solving purposes. Gotta pay to play right.

#18 ·
I added oil around 8000 kms, so a little sooner than yours. Some of it may be to crevices being filled fully for the first time as the engine works in, but I suspect these engines will use a little. maybe the equivalent to an extra litre between scheduled changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.