Fourtitude.com - Slow forum load times due to depracated php object being called
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Cars
      2015 Equinox
      06-12-2019 11:03 AM #51
      Checking in again, we acknowledge that some of our users are having issues with slow loading times on VWV, however we are unable to replicate the issue which makes it very difficult to work on a solution.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Equinox
      06-12-2019 11:04 AM #52
      As you may see by other users in this thread, this isn't happening to everyone, it is very sporadic. All we can ask is that if you are experiencing unusually slow load times that you post up what OS and browser you use (plus any plug-ins), as well as which forum URL you are using to come here. (ie: mwerks, vwvortex, fourtitude etc)

4. Not your buddy, guy... AG-Admin's Avatar
      06-13-2019 09:35 AM #53
      If anyone is able to reliably recreate the slowness on site, I'd like your assistance in capturing a HAR file during that slowdown.

Best guide I know for how to capture one: https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...roubleshooting

Basically it will give us the information on all site loading plugins and how long each are taking, with more detail and search ability then the screenshot in post #1.

If I recreate the slowness on my end, I'll try and grab the file myself

Kevin
      All you stance.... are belong to us.....

5. 08-09-2019 04:29 PM #54
      30+ seconds to load every page.

Cars
      86 Jetta GL, 94 Jetta 2.0, 00 GTI 1.8T, 02 Passat 1.8t, 05 TT 225, 02 M3
      10-08-2019 07:19 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by AG-Admin View Post
      If anyone is able to reliably recreate the slowness on site, I'd like your assistance in capturing a HAR file during that slowdown.

Best guide I know for how to capture one: https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...roubleshooting

Basically it will give us the information on all site loading plugins and how long each are taking, with more detail and search ability then the screenshot in post #1.

If I recreate the slowness on my end, I'll try and grab the file myself

Kevin
      Here's the HAR capture: click me. You'll see a 20+ second timeout for the call to https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php.

I can reproduce this issue every time, so let me know if you need anything to help fix this.

Cars
      10-08-2019 07:50 PM #56
      For those still having this issue, here's another fix I've come up with which I've now been forced to use as well. I recently upgraded my router and for some odd reason, setting my DNS server's to 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 no longer work for me. I'm back to seeing over 20 second load times for every page in vwvortex.

So scope of this (better) fix is to modify your hosts file and add an entry for static.ak.connect.facebook.com pointed to your own computer (using 127.0.0.1 (which is the local loopback address)).

The hosts file is protected so you need to change permissions on it and give your account full control:

1. right click on hosts located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc then select Properties.
      2. click on the security tab
      3. click EDIT
      4. scroll down to your account, select it, then click Full Control, then click Apply

Now you should be able to edit the hosts file and add this line, then save and close it.

127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com

To make sure it's working as expected, ping static.ak.connect.facebook.com and you should see it respond with 127.0.0.1 like this:

C:>ping static.ak.connect.facebook.com

Pinging static.ak.connect.facebook.com [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

What this does is force the browser to attempt to load the object at https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php from your own computer. Since your computer doesn't have this file (nor does it even have a web server), it responds immediateley and allows the vwvortex page to load normally instead of taking over 20 seconds to timeout on that one object that doesn't exist, before moving onto the rest of the objects.

Hope this helps!

8. Member
      Cars
      DD 73 square/T4 swap and `squirted,99 TDi, 86 Cabriolet
      10-12-2019 04:29 AM #57
      Nice hack, fabric8.
      Went fron >30 second loads/refresh to 3-4 second, which is ok.

The issue still exists from early 2018, would be nice if admin could determine what's calling the junk script and kill it.

Cars
      1987 VW GTI, 1987 VW Golf GL, 1980 BMW 528i, 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000
      02-01-2020 03:19 PM #58
      Hi, I haven't been on the forums in years. I decided to come back and be part of the community again... only to find out that we have dial up speeds for page loads?!?

Is this really a thing its been going on for years without a fix???
      My email is: [email protected]

10. 02-15-2020 10:32 AM #59
      I have a saved HAR file for you but unsure how to get it to you?

11. 02-15-2020 09:25 PM #60
      After EDIT I wasn't sure what is considered my account s0 I highlighted what I thought it might be and tried to click FULL CONTROL but it wasn't highlighted. I'm using chrome, windows 10.

Cars
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      02-21-2020 10:01 AM #61
      The forum slowness is getting worse. I have no issues using my work laptop, but my home PC has issues. I use Chrome and here are some of the issues:

First bring up forums without being logged in.

Once loaded, some of the issues encountered

Errors
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

Cars
      02-21-2020 02:08 PM #62
      Yes, there are a number of remote calls to objects or pages or scipts that fail to load as you can see, but they're negligible in terms of time. You can see they timeout within milliseconds.

The big problem remains with the call to FeatureLoader.js.php as you can see on you screen shot. The path it's being called from is "https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php". That is obsolete. Facebook got rid of it a long time ago. And you can see that your browser tries for 21.21 seconds before it times out. That's a long time to wait for a timeout before other objects can load and is the cause of the delay with the forum loading.

This information has been provided repeatedly but unfortunateley, the forum developers still have not modified the forum code to exclude https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php from being called.

Until they fix the forum, the best workaround I've found is to add this to your hosts file:

This will work on Windows, Mac, and *nix

Cars
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      02-21-2020 03:55 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
      Yes, there are a number of remote calls to objects or pages or scipts that fail to load as you can see, but they're negligible in terms of time. You can see they timeout within milliseconds.

The big problem remains with the call to FeatureLoader.js.php as you can see on you screen shot. The path it's being called from is "https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php". That is obsolete. Facebook got rid of it a long time ago. And you can see that your browser tries for 21.21 seconds before it times out. That's a long time to wait for a timeout before other objects can load and is the cause of the delay with the forum loading.

This information has been provided repeatedly but unfortunateley, the forum developers still have not modified the forum code to exclude https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php from being called.

Until they fix the forum, the best workaround I've found is to add this to your hosts file:

This will work on Windows, Mac, and *nix
      Perfect, that helped the load time!
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

15. 02-22-2020 05:25 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
      For those still having this issue, here's another fix I've come up with which I've now been forced to use as well. I recently upgraded my router and for some odd reason, setting my DNS server's to 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 no longer work for me. I'm back to seeing over 20 second load times for every page in vwvortex.

So scope of this (better) fix is to modify your hosts file and add an entry for static.ak.connect.facebook.com pointed to your own computer (using 127.0.0.1 (which is the local loopback address)).

The hosts file is protected so you need to change permissions on it and give your account full control:

1. right click on hosts located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc then select Properties.
      2. click on the security tab
      3. click EDIT
      4. scroll down to your account, select it, then click Full Control, then click Apply

Now you should be able to edit the hosts file and add this line, then save and close it.

To make sure it's working as expected, ping static.ak.connect.facebook.com and you should see it respond with 127.0.0.1 like this:

C:>ping static.ak.connect.facebook.com

Pinging static.ak.connect.facebook.com [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

What this does is force the browser to attempt to load the object at https://static.ak.connect.facebook.c...eLoader.js.php from your own computer. Since your computer doesn't have this file (nor does it even have a web server), it responds immediateley and allows the vwvortex page to load normally instead of taking over 20 seconds to timeout on that one object that doesn't exist, before moving onto the rest of the objects.

Hope this helps!
      Thanks for providing this. This site has been super slow to load and use. I ended up going another direction which works as well and also speeds things back to normal. I added the offending URL to an entry in Content Filtering on my router to block it. Seems to work well. UPDATE: Added your solution as well since the above seemed to still make the call to the link. I wonder if/when Vortex will move to v5 of this forum software...probably one of the issues.
      Last edited by Sprocket; 02-22-2020 at 06:24 PM.

16. Member
      Cars
      2019 Alltrack SEL 6sp, 2010 JSW 2.5 S 6sp, 2010 Passat Wagon DSG (6sp swap coming soon)
      03-23-2020 06:21 PM #65
      The slow-load issue has been affecting me for a while and, as a result, I have been staying off the forums. I sent a message to VerticalScope tech support. Let's see what happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123