Fourtitude.com - ALL-NEW 2019 Volkswagen Arteon Makes its Debut at the Chicago Auto Show
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-15-2018 05:03 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Because of VR6? I can understand the point. It certainly gives some soul compared to those dull 2.0T.
      So slower, worse fuel economy and more weight up front = Soul... I didn't realize, my bad

Carry on

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      02-15-2018 05:09 PM #77
      FWIW, here’s some add’l pics.

Cars
      Hopes and Dreams
      02-16-2018 06:31 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by sp_wh View Post
      Volkswagen Arteon next to upperclass competitors...

Volkswagen Arteon next to a Volvo S90:

BMW 430d Gran Coupé xDrive vs Volkswagen Arteon 2.0 TDI 4Motion:

VW Arteon TDI vs Audi A7 Sportback TDI vs Jaguar XF 25d:

VW Arteon 2.0 TSI 4Motion vs Audi A6 2.0 TFSI quattro vs BMW 530i xDrive:

The R-Line...

Funny how it looks better and more refined next to those other cars. The Jag, Beamer and Volvo look good sitting by themselves but not next to the VW.

5. 02-19-2018 08:59 AM #79
      I may be jumping the gun but They are saying “8 speed automatic transmission”. Does that mean no DSG?

VWoA always screws up limiting well equipped models the rest of the VW world has. They did it with the Golf-taking 20+ years to get AWD, they did it with the Touareg-No TDI, still waiting for a Scirroco, now potentially not having a DSG, one of the best gearboxes to be placed in a consumer vehicle in the world.

For me, no DSG/AWD/2.0T means you have to goto the Audi A5 Sportback.
      Last edited by hotsk1llet98; 02-19-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      02-19-2018 09:19 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by hotsk1llet98 View Post
      I may be jumping the gun but They are saying “8 speed automatic transmission”. Does that mean no DSG?

VWoA always screws up limiting well equipped models the rest of the VW world has. They did it with the Golf-taking 20+ years to get AWD, they did it with the Touareg-No TDI, still waiting for a Scirroco, now potentially not having a DSG, one of the best gearboxes to be placed in a consumer vehicle in the world.

Most of the large Audi sports focused sedans are using a ZF automatic. Arteon has more in common with these executive sedans than it does with track attack vehicles. The smooth operation of the ZF-8 is more important than shift speed bonuses in the DSG.

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-19-2018 09:34 AM #81

There's a lot of funny stuff in here, but "still waiting for a Scirocco" is tops!

There are reasons there won't be a DSG transmission in this car and objectively they're good ones. Those reasons include smoothness (this isn't a race car by any stretch), reliability, cost, and the fact that most people simply don't give a damn how it operates internally. They do care how it drives on the slog back-and-forth to work and modern conventional automatics are just about perfect for the job.

Also, the Toureg had TDI engines, in fact it had two different TDIs, the V6 and the V10.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      02-19-2018 09:54 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Most of the large Audi sports focused sedans are using a ZF automatic. Arteon has more in common with these executive sedans than it does with track attack vehicles. The smooth operation of the ZF-8 is more important than shift speed bonuses in the DSG.
      Is the Arteon getting the ZF8? I thought it was an Aisin 8 speed.

Cars
      02-19-2018 09:57 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Is the Arteon getting the ZF8? I thought it was an Aisin 8 speed.
      Looking up original release specs I found this. Might be wrong?

Lurking beneath the Arteon's hood sits a 2.0-liter TSI turbocharged four-cylinder engine—a common sight in modern VWs—as the sole available motivator. Tuned for the Arteon, however, the 2.0T chucks out 268 horsepower—33 more than the identically sized mill found in the much-larger Atlas and scarily similar to the power produced by the previous-generation Golf R. Unfortunately, that power gain doesn't come with an associated boost in torque, which remains the same as the Atlas 2.0T at 258 lb-ft. Handling cog swapping duties is an eight-speed automatic transmission supplied by ZF, which can send power to the front or all four wheels via Volkswagen's 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.
      Wait nope, C&D plus other sources report an Aisin unit.

I take back my statement then. The Arteon is clearly going to be a huge flop because it lacks a DSG. The automatic will literally kill any pleasure from driving the car. Might as well buy a V6 Camry!

Cars
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      02-19-2018 03:39 PM #84
      The 8-speed is most likely a version of the 09P 8-speed that's in the Atlas, which is an evolution of the 09G/09M 6-speed auto and co-developed with Aisin. VAG's other 8-speeds (the ZF 0BK and 0BL and the Aisin 0C8) are all for longitudinal setups.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

11. 02-19-2018 07:49 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      There's a lot of funny stuff in here, but "still waiting for a Scirocco" is tops!
      There wasn’t any comedy in the valid statement. VWoA excludes several models and options that the rest of the VW world has. Scirocco being just one that’s being demanded by U.S base VW consumers. Now TDI, and 2 door Golf’s extinct on U.S showroom floors are few other examples.
      There are reasons there won't be a DSG transmission in this car and objectively they're good ones. Those reasons include smoothness (this isn't a race car by any stretch), reliability, cost, and the fact that most people simply don't give a damn how it operates internally. They do care how it drives on the slog back-and-forth to work and modern conventional automatics are just about perfect for the job.
      I never said there wasn’t a DSG in the Arteon, and as 19 February 2018, you don’t either. My reply was about VWoA not having the options that the rest of the VW world has. This is not a DSG debate. Having some sort of sport in a business luxury class is shown by sister company Audi. They must have it wrong by putting the unsmooth, unreliable DSG in the business luxury classes. How dare they put a DSG in the A/S5 6’s and 7’s.

Having purchased more VW’s than years you’ve been on the planet, owning in Germany, Japan, U.K, and U.S, I’m extremely familiar with the company. Thanks for asking.

I’ve refrained myself from posting comments in Vortex for over 10 years due to trolls who slam peoples options, hopes, and ideas. I see nothing has changed...

Segway back ON TOPIC... I can’t wait to see what options are available on the new Arteon. 19” alloys would be awesome.
      Last edited by hotsk1llet98; 02-20-2018 at 08:54 PM.

12. 02-19-2018 08:02 PM #86
      There wasn’t any comedy in the valid statement. VWoA excludes several models and options that the rest of the VW world has. Scirocco being just one that’s being demanded by U.S base VW consumers. Now TDI, and 2 door’s extinct on U.S showroom floors are few other examples.

I never said there wasn’t a DSG in the Arteon, and as 19 February 2018, you don’t either. My reply was about VWoA not having the options that the rest of the VW world has. This is not a DSG debate. Having some sort of sport in a business luxury class is shown by sister company Audi. They must have it wrong by putting the unsmooth, unreliable DSG in the business luxury classes. How dare they put a DSG in the A/S5 6’s and 7’s.

Having purchased more VW’s than years you’ve been on the planet, owning in Germany, Japan, U.K, and U.S, I’m extremely familiar with the company. Thanks for asking.

I’ve refrained myself from posting comments in Vortex for over 10 years due to trolls who slam peoples options, hopes, and ideas. I see nothing has changed...

Segway back ON TOPIC... I can’ wait to see what options are available on the new Arteon. 15” alloys would be awesome.
      I dare any VW fanboy to just try and reach this level as above. I dare you.

If you knew VW as well as you stated above you would be aware one, that the Arteon is coming here to amortize cost as the model is more for Europe than the US market, VW knows volume for it will be low here and two, you would know too that the Scirocco wouldn't have sold in the numbers VW needs, they already have too many low volume models in the US market, the Scirocco would just be another lot weed.

VW is doing some things right, with the Tig and Atlas and the Arteon will make quite a few happy as it will have some neat features and they will be discounted too at some point.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-19-2018 09:01 PM #87
      There wasn’t any comedy in the valid statement. VWoA excludes several models and options that the rest of the VW world has. Scirocco being just one that’s being demanded by U.S base VW consumers. Now TDI, and 2 door Golf’s extinct on U.S showroom floors are few other examples.

Segway back ON TOPIC... I can’t wait to see what options are available on the new Arteon. 15” alloys would be awesome.
      Oh, there’s comedy there all right. The Scirocco was never coming here. It was built solely in Germany, the exchange rates were bad and most of the customers who would have bought them went ahead and bought a GTI. There was ZERO business case to bring it here.

It’s far from trolling, the Scirocco argument has been beaten to death and objective people knew it was never coming. The good news for Scirocco fans? If there’s a fourth gen car it will be built on MQB architecture (and labor contracts may not dictate it to be built in Germany), so it’s possible it would be built on our hemisphere and since there’s no 2-door GTI to cannibalize its sales there’s a chance we’d get it.

It’s no secret that Americans generally want a smoother driveline and less maintenance.

It’s also amazing that you’ve had more than 52 Volkswagens. I think I’ve only had about 20.

14. Member
      Cars
      2006 Slow Honda Insight
      02-19-2018 09:52 PM #88
      I was disappointed there was no Arteon in Dallas

I was told "It is in Chicago"

There is only one??
      2006 Slow Honda Insight runabout
      2005 Lava Orange MazdaSpeed Miata Ours
      2013 Prius V Hers
      2007 Jeep GC CDI Ours
      2002 Ram Cummins Ours

15. 02-19-2018 11:46 PM #89
      ...It’s far from trolling,...It’s also amazing that you’ve had more than 52 Volkswagens. I think I’ve only had about 20.
      Oh it’s trolling. Any 52 year old who has nearly 37 THOUSAND VWVortex posts over the last 13+ years, averaging 7 and half disrupting comments per day on other people’s topics defines an Internet troll.

Starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the trolls amusement. It’s like a 52 year old showing up at a college frat party and starts a debate about xeriscape being more efficient than Tifway Bermuda grass. Go follow and troll someone else.

BACK ON TOPIC....I really hope they offer 19 inch wheels on the new Arteon. So excited.
      Last edited by hotsk1llet98; 02-20-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      02-19-2018 11:49 PM #90
      still waiting for a Scirroco,

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

17. 02-19-2018 11:50 PM #91
      Oh it’s trolling. Any 52 year old who has nearly 37 THOUSAND VWVortex posts over the last 13+ years, averaging 7 and half disrupting comments per day on other people’s topics defines an Internet troll.

Starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the trolls amusement. It’s like a 52 year old showing up at a college frat party and starts a debate about xeriscape being more efficient than Tifway Bermuda grass. Go follow and troll someone else.

BACK ON TOPIC....I really hope they offer 15 inch wheels on the new Arteon. So excited.
      And it ends with the hope of 15 inch wheels!

Cars
      2019 Arteon SE 4 Motion, 2012 CC R Line, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      02-19-2018 11:56 PM #92
      Very excited as I have been waiting for it for awhile. Was waiting for a suitable replacement for our 2012 CC, and will probably pull the trigger as soon as they go on sale.

The wife will get the Arteon while I take over the CC; just need my 2007 Passat Wagon to keep going for another 6 months or so

Cars
      02-20-2018 07:45 AM #93

BACK ON TOPIC....I really hope they offer 15 inch wheels on the new Arteon. So excited.

20. Member
      Cars
      2016 A6 (me), 2016 MDX (wife), 2009 CRV (kid), 2014 C350 4matic (kid), 2017 Jetta SEL (kid)
      02-20-2018 07:54 AM #94
      Lift back AND a Dynaudio audio system?

Doing it right.

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-20-2018 09:23 AM #95

I see. So it turns out you're a troll.

G'bye!

*uses 'ignore' function yet again

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      02-20-2018 03:07 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post

One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Cars
      Hopes and Dreams
      02-20-2018 06:25 PM #97

Remember when the polo was supposedly showing up too?

24. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 A4 Titanium, '17 TT Alum Ford, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      02-20-2018 06:37 PM #98
      .I really hope they offer 15-inch wheels on the new Arteon. So excited.
      From the press release:

Standard features include: 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels

Personally, I don't think that they are going to offer a -3" wheel option, and if I were a betting man, the brakes on this vehicle will probably equal to the size offered on the 2012+ NMS Passat, which are 12.3" brakes. No wheel less than about 16" will fit on those cars.

25. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      02-20-2018 07:08 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      From the press release:

Standard features include: 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels

Personally, I don't think that they are going to offer a -3" wheel option, and if I were a betting man, the brakes on this vehicle will probably equal to the size offered on the 2012+ NMS Passat, which are 12.3" brakes. No wheel less than about 16" will fit on those cars.
      I could make it work with a few inches of spacers on each wheel.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

26. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      02-21-2018 01:54 PM #100

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast