Fourtitude.com - ALL-NEW 2019 Volkswagen Arteon Makes its Debut at the Chicago Auto Show
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      02-13-2018 02:43 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      I'm curious why all of a sudden everyone who never wanted a CC when they first came out suddenly wants an Arteon?
      There's two main reasons this model is better than the CC: rear seat headroom and trunk space. Six-foot-plus people can fit in the back seat, and IIRC, the Arteon has more trunk space than the current Passat (need to verify). This model is also wider and can much more easily fit three people in the back seat. Driving dynamics should be a huge improvement over the CC as well.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-13-2018 04:53 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I have a feeling they are going to have this thing start in the mid-30s. Figure maybe 4 trims with the most expensive one at $50k.

Keep in mind the Atlas ranges from $30k to $48k across all of the trims, $32k to $48k just for the V6 models. So if the Arteon is their "flagship" there is no reason to doubt that it won't start high and get expensive quickly.

I would love to be wrong though, because I would absolutely consider this for my next car.
      Prices might be high initially with the Arteon but total sales of it will mimic the current CC and be very low in volume and so deals can be had if you time it right when they blow them out. VW knows this won't be a volume seller and in fact the main reason it was brought over was to help leverage the total cost of the program:

"It was a lot of money," admits Elmar-Marius Licharz, head of VW's mid and large car programs. He freely admits that such investment would not have been worth it solely for a relatively slow-selling coupe, and those costs will be amortized across global models such as a massive Multi-Purpose Vehicle planned for China and a sedan to replace the Phaeton.

Arteon will sell to mostly male, middle-aged, married men and the prices will be largely unchanged from the CC's starting point at about $38,000. So why bother to change at all? Licharz admits that if it were just the Americas, there'd be no point in making the Arteon. "In the US, it wouldn't have been necessary," he says. It was European markets that he felt weren't being given the style, space and performance necessary to compete.

In fact, dynamically Arteon is built for comfort rather than speed. You probably wouldn't start making a sports car with a transverse front engine, which has a high center of gravity and the mass pushed forward in chassis. (And this is why Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz don't.) There's not much steering feel, just a variable weight that alters with the chassis setting and while it turns in well at moderate speed, when pushed hard all Arteon wants to do is carry straight on. That said, there's confidence-inspiring grip in long corners and the brakes are lovely, with a progressive and powerful pedal, which refuses to fade.

There's a lot riding on Arteon, and while it's certainly refined, and practical, I'm not convinced it's sufficiently different, up-market and dynamically accomplished to thrive in the premium market. In the end Arteon comes across as something that's trying rather too hard to be something it patently isn't.

4. 02-13-2018 05:01 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      There's two main reasons this model is better than the CC: rear seat headroom and trunk space. Six-foot-plus people can fit in the back seat, and IIRC, the Arteon has more trunk space than the current Passat (need to verify). This model is also wider and can much more easily fit three people in the back seat. Driving dynamics should be a huge improvement over the CC as well.
      It's changed some but much is the same:

Erm, nothing much has changed. This is a CC replacement, with 5.2 inches added to its wheelbase to make a total of 111.9 and 2.4 inches to the overall length to make a total of 191.4. Front and rear overhangs are consequently lessened and the track is pulled out 1.4 inches at the front and 0.8 inches at the back. The trunk is a hulking 19.9 cu ft and if you fold the seats down you'll get 55 cubic feet in there and loads up to 83 inches long.

At the front the cabin is a definite step up from the CC. There are striated wood inserts, fancy-looking plastics and the latest flat-screen VW infotainment system for the center console, which has great graphics, but sadly has dispensed with the volume and map-zoom rotary dials. Seats are comfortable and large, and in the back there are acres of leg room, although the heavily sloping roof line means the tallest passengers might suffer from a lack of head room. There's a distinct impression that quality falls off as you travel down the length of the car. So while the rear bench is adequate for the class, the trunk trim is perfunctory.

5. 02-13-2018 05:05 PM #54
      If they have any hope of selling at least some of these, they should be marketing these as a viable alternative to the Maximas, Avalons, Impalas and 300s of the world. Not trying to take down Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Remember when VW tried that game accross their whole lineup? It didn't work out so well. And after seeing the standard content, it looks like they've learned nothing from the past. Adaptive suspension standard? That should be reserved for the top sporty trims. If it should be put on a mass-marker car at all. Maybe they'll learn. Before it's too late.

6. 02-13-2018 05:48 PM #55
      Volkswagen Arteon next to upperclass competitors...

Volkswagen Arteon next to a Volvo S90:

BMW 430d Gran Coupé xDrive vs Volkswagen Arteon 2.0 TDI 4Motion:

VW Arteon TDI vs Audi A7 Sportback TDI vs Jaguar XF 25d:

VW Arteon 2.0 TSI 4Motion vs Audi A6 2.0 TFSI quattro vs BMW 530i xDrive:

The R-Line...

7. Junior Member
      Cars
      2014 VW CC R-line
      02-13-2018 06:42 PM #56
      God, I hate that it's a hatchback.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-13-2018 06:56 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by chris89topher View Post

you signed up 10 years ago and decided this was going to be your first post?

9. 02-13-2018 07:12 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      If only more had such constraint.

10. Junior Member
      Cars
      2014 VW CC R-line
      02-13-2018 07:30 PM #59
      I know. I thought about that right after posting. After I signed up I made a detour to the GTO boards, then Audi. I've always had VWs in the garage beside those cars though and silently followed this place, lol. So I've been here in spirit!

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      02-13-2018 07:31 PM #60
      He waited the 10 years probation period.

Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      02-13-2018 10:33 PM #61

13. 02-13-2018 10:42 PM #62
      I have nothing constructive to add to this thread. I was withholding judgement until I saw it in the flesh. I just saw it at the Chicago auto show and I think that front end is HIDEOUS! The interior is super nice though.

The Kia Stinger was better....much better, IMO. Of course I could be wrong

14. Member
      Cars
      B6 S4 Avant
      02-14-2018 09:50 AM #63

Your opinion is wrong, and you should feel bad. The fact that it's a hatchback is the Arteon's most redeeming quality.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      02-14-2018 11:17 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      I'm curious why all of a sudden everyone who never wanted a CC when they first came out suddenly wants an Arteon?
      You mean besides that the CC was ugly and this looks awesome?
      iain

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      02-14-2018 11:20 AM #65

It's not a batchback, it's a liftback.

And liftbacks are much more akin to a sedan trunk due to the shape of the rear end.
      iain

17. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      02-14-2018 11:27 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      It's not a batchback, it's a liftback.

And liftbacks are much more akin to a sedan trunk due to the shape of the rear end.

But that front end...
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      02-15-2018 10:11 AM #67
      So, VW Canada announced today that the Arteon will start at "just under $48K". Jikes! That's the same as the base Audi A5 Sportback. I can only assume that we will be getting the 4motion models only. The Kia Stinger V6 starts at $46K in Canada.
      Last edited by Hajduk; 02-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Cars
      Arteon SEL-P
      02-15-2018 10:36 AM #68
      Unless they bring the vr6-t (and I doubt they will given the pricing) this thing will suck. The 2.0t just isn't enough to compete with cars like the stinger who will offer a v6-t for the same price as a loaded 2.0t arteon. This coupled with the inevitable digital cockpit issues (vw bought my atlas back over it) should create yet another one of vws day late dollar short strategy products for the market!

Cars
      2018 GTI
      02-15-2018 10:56 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by sp_wh View Post

The R-Line...

This looks the business.

21. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-15-2018 11:12 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Unless they bring the vr6-t (and I doubt they will given the pricing) this thing will suck. The 2.0t just isn't enough to compete with cars like the stinger who will offer a v6-t for the same price as a loaded 2.0t arteon. This coupled with the inevitable digital cockpit issues (vw bought my atlas back over it) should create yet another one of vws day late dollar short strategy products for the market!
      This car doesn't need to be quicker than it's ~5.5 second 0-60 time. The world at large will be satisfied with the refinement and power of the Arteon.

Kia has to offer "Look at Me" Power or nobody would give a ****. If they came out with only the 2.0T (a worse 2.0T than BMW, Audi and VW), they would not have enjoyed all of the hoopla over the Stinger release. They would just have a cheaper fastback with worse interior, refinement and performance. It would make sense because it's a Kia.

Also, why would the Arteon have "inevitable digital cockpit issues" because your Atlas did?

22. 02-15-2018 12:03 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      So, VW Canada announced today that the Arteon will start at "just under $48K". Jikes! That's the same as the base Audi A5 Sportback. I can only assume that we will be getting the 4motion models only. The Kia Stinger V6 starts at $46K in Canada.
      Well they just lost me. At that price i will take the Audi.

Cars
      Arteon SEL-P
      02-15-2018 04:26 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Also, why would the Arteon have "inevitable digital cockpit issues" because your Atlas did?
      Because their supplier is admittedly having issues and their support staff is not trained to service/replace it. No worries.

Cars
      Arteon SEL-P
      02-15-2018 04:27 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by redbluevette View Post
      Well they just lost me. At that price i will take the Audi.
      Yeah I mean a 45k+ 2.0t just seems stupid. At least at that price on the cc you got the VR6. The CC was so much better. The only thing I wished at the time was that I could have gotten a better equipped manual. I was only able to get the sport manual with lighting package. That was the nicest manual- still not a bad car. Especially with racks.

25. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-15-2018 04:45 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Yeah I mean a 45k+ 2.0t just seems stupid. At least at that price on the cc you got the VR6. The CC was so much better. The only thing I wished at the time was that I could have gotten a better equipped manual. I was only able to get the sport manual with lighting package. That was the nicest manual- still not a bad car. Especially with racks.
      So.... the Arteon 2.0T is more spacious, faster, more efficient, nicer, and has better tech than the CC VR6, and will start under $40k in the US. How is the CC "so much better"?

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      02-15-2018 04:51 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      So.... the Arteon 2.0T is more spacious, faster, more efficient, nicer, and has better tech than the CC VR6, and will start under $40k in the US. How is the CC "so much better"?
      Because of VR6? I can understand the point. It certainly gives some soul compared to those dull 2.0T.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast