VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

It?s VR time!

58K views 445 replies 30 participants last post by  benforseter_21 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got the itch again, now I’m in a 3.2 Quattro! I was playing with a B5 S4, great car and we had a lot of fun. However It was sold when my daughter was born. I have been waiting for the right car ever since, and I have found it. I always missed my old A3 so I’m very exited about this car.

It’s a completely stock, quite neglected 06 with 124k. I have big plans for this car. This will be it’s story, let’s do a build thread!

Update, 5/23/18, modification list so far!

Engine...
Factory rotating assembly.
Fluidampr.
Arp head studs.
034 oil filter housing adapter.
034 head spacer.
Super tech valves, stainless intake, inconel exhaust.
Super tech dual spring, titanium retainers.

Turbo set up...
Precision 6262, ball bearing, t4 flange, 63ar.
Tial MVR 44 wastegate.
034 Intercooler pipping.
Garret fmic, high density 600hp core.
034 billet diverter valve.
034 billet slot maf housing.

Fuel system...
034 billet fuel rail.
Bosch 850 ev14’s.
Aeromotive adjustable regulator.
Detach DW65 In tank pump.
All 6an fittings and fuel line.

Exhaust...
CTS ceramic coated exhaust manifold.
CTS 3in down pipe.
CTS 3in mid pipe.

Mounts...
034 Billet engine and trans mounts.
034 Billet Spherical dog bone.
034 Torque mounts.

Suspension...
ST XTA coilovers.
ST Camber plates.
PowerFlex black front arm bushings.
034 Billet sway bar end links, front/rear.
034 rear sway bar.
034 Billet rear upper control arms.
034 Billet rear toe links.
034 Front subframe locking collars.
034 Billet rear subframe mount Inserts.

Brakes...
Front Brembo 17Z
Rear Brembo 4 Piston calipers, with CreationsMotorsports brackets and MK5 R32 310mm rotors.
42Draft Designs wheel studs.

Wheels...
BBS CH 028, 18-8 ET 43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#367 ·
i don't want to sound like an a$$hole but, cutting your impact bar in half was a terrible idea. Even cutting into it the first time was bad. Think of an impact bar like crumble zones in a hood. It is made to take the impact of a collision. With it cut in half like that you run the risk of destroying your motor or even worse causing harm to you and your passengers in the event of a collision. I would immediately try and source a new/used one and then find another way to mount the intercooler.

#377 ·
Honestly not much has changed. It’s running, but still not tuned. Since the beginning of this thread I have spent so much money on this car, finances are just required elsewhere at the moment.

Should be some updates in the next couple of weeks.

Check out audia3vrt on Instagram for some sound clips.

#376 ·
He has been intoxicated by the sound and can no longer function.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#393 ·
Well, things are moving along again. I decided to use a stand alone ECU. I went with the EMU Black, it has all of the features that you could ever want. Things like boost by gear, and rolling anti lag, just to list a few.

I will be tuning it myself, I would rather take the time and learn versus paying someone. However if need be this ECU opens up many more options for tuners. Many of the guys in Europe are using this same set up on R30’s, lots of willingly given expertise. The mechatronic will be tuned by UM.

So long story short, it’s back on track!

https://ecumasterusa.com/products/ecumaster-emu-black-standalone-ecu

#394 ·
This is awesome! I don't see a plug and play harness for our car? Definitely a more pricey route than 034 and much more time consuming, but the end results could be awesome. I feel like if I went anything beyond what I have now I would have to go stand alone as well. Excited!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#395 ·
I ordered the plug and play harness for the MK4 R32. From guys that have done it, all that is required is a few pins being moved.

This was my order, the price is damn close lol.
Also you remove hundreds of dollars worth of gauges from the equation With the Bluetooth module.

#399 ·
Excited to see where this goes, and am pretty impressed that you'll be tuning your own ECU. Does the EMU Black have any built in safety features to avoid you accidentally doing something harmful to your engine during the tuning and testing process? Not that I predict you doing that - more so just for my own curiosity.

#402 ·
The Black is surprisingly feature packed for the price. Every data stream that should, has safe guards. For example, if fuel pressure drops below a specified safe point, I have a number of strategies. From pulling boost, to limiting RPM, and even a complete shut down.

#406 ·
I need to retract part of my previous statement, it is not plug and play. It’s close, but I don’t want people reading this in the future and thinking it’s easy.

The MK4 R32 uses Bosch 4.2 wideband, the MK5 R32 based 8P uses the newer 4.9. The PNP kit EMU offers is for the MK4. Both sensors have 6 pins, but are wired differently. All that’s needed is moving some pins around.

Also, the MK4 uses a fan control module. The MK5 does not, it is ECU controlled. Very easily wired and controlled by the Black, but not PNP.

So please don’t think this is a plug and go type deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.