VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

It?s VR time!

58K views 445 replies 30 participants last post by  benforseter_21 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got the itch again, now I’m in a 3.2 Quattro! I was playing with a B5 S4, great car and we had a lot of fun. However It was sold when my daughter was born. I have been waiting for the right car ever since, and I have found it. I always missed my old A3 so I’m very exited about this car.

It’s a completely stock, quite neglected 06 with 124k. I have big plans for this car. This will be it’s story, let’s do a build thread!

Update, 5/23/18, modification list so far!

Engine...
Factory rotating assembly.
Fluidampr.
Arp head studs.
034 oil filter housing adapter.
034 head spacer.
Super tech valves, stainless intake, inconel exhaust.
Super tech dual spring, titanium retainers.

Turbo set up...
Precision 6262, ball bearing, t4 flange, 63ar.
Tial MVR 44 wastegate.
034 Intercooler pipping.
Garret fmic, high density 600hp core.
034 billet diverter valve.
034 billet slot maf housing.

Fuel system...
034 billet fuel rail.
Bosch 850 ev14’s.
Aeromotive adjustable regulator.
Detach DW65 In tank pump.
All 6an fittings and fuel line.

Exhaust...
CTS ceramic coated exhaust manifold.
CTS 3in down pipe.
CTS 3in mid pipe.

Mounts...
034 Billet engine and trans mounts.
034 Billet Spherical dog bone.
034 Torque mounts.

Suspension...
ST XTA coilovers.
ST Camber plates.
PowerFlex black front arm bushings.
034 Billet sway bar end links, front/rear.
034 rear sway bar.
034 Billet rear upper control arms.
034 Billet rear toe links.
034 Front subframe locking collars.
034 Billet rear subframe mount Inserts.

Brakes...
Front Brembo 17Z
Rear Brembo 4 Piston calipers, with CreationsMotorsports brackets and MK5 R32 310mm rotors.
42Draft Designs wheel studs.

Wheels...
BBS CH 028, 18-8 ET 43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats on the VR! Mine served me very well, just sold it to a friend with 145k miles on it.

#12 ·
always love to hear of another 3.2 going through upgrades. i love mine and though i’m less about going faster these days, i do like for it to look like it’s fast. [emoji23] just this past weekend, i had the resonator delete done. will probably get an intake, and in the very VERY near future, i’m buying an s3 bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Today after work I installed the oil separator diaphragm, valve cover gasket, intake gasket and spark plugs. It actually runs good now!

Reinstalling the junk front bumper literally pained me haha. I need to find a good used one.

The oil looked like ****, almost like the guy was doing 15k Intervals. So tomorrow I’m doing all the fluids and a belt. Then haldex and DSG services. The list goes on and on. I can’t start the fun part until it’s back in fighting shape. Lots of maintenance junk still to do.

#17 ·
Nice progress already!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I have this beautiful perfect condition 1 except it's red

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Definitely, 12 hard years spent in Los Angeles. I purchased it from the original owner, It was just transportation In his eyes.

It’s like a dog, I always get mine from the shelter. All my cars come to me beat up, It’s part of the appeal. The more parts that require replacement, the more reason I have for upgrades!

#29 ·
Your not doing the solid rubber subframe mount are you? [emoji51] .... Have you read up on it? .... The other 034 mounts are great .... But I've installed a solid mount in my dsg quattro before and it was absolute hell .... Changed it back to stock with BFI stg1 insert after 2 months of teeth chattering ....

Congrats on the awesome car.

Hyped to see what's to come for this [emoji5] ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I definitely have big plans for this car. I am aware of the complaints about the mounts. In all my past builds I have used solid motorsport mounts, at least in those cases it never bothered me.

If I hate it I’ll change them. Definitely appreciate your experience though.

#32 ·
I installed the engine mounts, and the bottom dog bone mount. I decided to wait on the upper, after the first test drive I am not experiencing any significant nvh. For me this is the way it should feel, just solid. It feels so good I might just leave it as is.

Next things on the list, front control arm bushing’s, axles and Brakes. Once I’m satisfied with it mechanically then I can start on the cosmetic stuff.

#33 ·
That's cool [emoji106]

.... So the you just pressed in the bottom solid subframe mount? And left the upper puck stock?

That definitely seems to be a good compromise between the soft OEM and full on solid mount .... Because then there's still some play but vastly reduced .... And it's all rubber mounts so it isn't gonna be causing weird wear issues

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.