Fourtitude.com - Tequila Connoisseurs?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 01-12-2018 07:16 PM #1
      And or mezcal/bacanora/sotol?

I am quite fond of the Mexican spirits and was curious if anyone else here enjoys them. Or maybe you have been wanting to try some and would like to gather some knowledge or get recommendations. This is the place.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      01-14-2018 12:38 PM #2
      Been a tequila lover for about 10 years now and would consider myself somewhat of an expert at this point. My home bar has around 10-12 different brands at any given time, primarily tequila as I am not a mezcal fan and most people that I offer it to never like it. We went to a resort in Mexico last year that had a tequila and mezcal bar in it and I took a half day class on the processing of tequila and mezcal which was very educational and taught me quite a bit about the subtle differences in tastes between brands.

I will add that for an everyday sipper that has every bit of the quality tequilas that are 2-3x the price is Espolon and surprisingly, Costco Kirkland silver. Both have a slightly fruity, sweet start with no bitterness and ends clean. For even those that aren't huge fans and don't care for any smokiness, these are great for the price point and easy to drink.

4. 01-15-2018 12:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Been a tequila lover for about 10 years now and would consider myself somewhat of an expert at this point. My home bar has around 10-12 different brands at any given time, primarily tequila as I am not a mezcal fan and most people that I offer it to never like it. We went to a resort in Mexico last year that had a tequila and mezcal bar in it and I took a half day class on the processing of tequila and mezcal which was very educational and taught me quite a bit about the subtle differences in tastes between brands.

I will add that for an everyday sipper that has every bit of the quality tequilas that are 2-3x the price is Espolon and surprisingly, Costco Kirkland silver. Both have a slightly fruity, sweet start with no bitterness and ends clean. For even those that aren't huge fans and don't care for any smokiness, these are great for the price point and easy to drink.
      Alright, finally we have one!!

Yes, I'm pretty well-versed on the product and process myself. I currently have about 50 bottles between tequila, mexcal, and sotol. No bacanora at the moment. The vast majority of those- 40-45~- are tequila. I enjoy and own all expressions, but blanco is really my favorite, and I have the most of.

Espolon is a really solid budget tequila with lots of flavor. I've always picked up coconut notes on the tongue with espolon, and rather peppery finish that is nice, though a bit unrefined. But it's a great mixer, and can be definitely sipped in a pinch. My go to blancos are Maracame and Pasote. Both are truly outstanding. I can sometime find the Maracame on sale for $30, and at that price, it's a phenomenal value. Pasote is harder to find and usually runs about $40. Imo, the best cheap value blancos are Olmeca Altos, Cimarron, Azteca Azul, and Calle 23. They're all 20-22 bucks, and in the case of the Altos, easily found. The Azteca Azul is somewhat rare, but I've bought it for $18.99 for a liter, and it's criminally underpriced at that.

For mezcal, you should try out a brand called Xicala. It's got tons of flavor, but the smokiness isn't overwhelming. A very refined, and smooth mezcal. Getting pretty easy to find, and only about $35-37.

Back on the topic of tequilas, I have recently started aging my own. It is a fun and illuminating experience.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-15-2018 08:39 PM #4
      Kah (of all varieties)

Mezcal Enmascarado

* My contributions are not representative of American Honda

7. 01-16-2018 10:21 AM #5
      I've only had Kah's reposado and blanco, but didn't really care for them. Never had that mezcal, though. I'm a fan of Xicala, Vago, Nuestra Soledad, and Bozal's mezcals.

8. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      01-16-2018 10:22 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
      I've only had Kah's reposado and blanco, but didn't really care for them. Never had that mezcal, though. I'm a fan of Xicala, Vago, Nuestra Soledad, and Bozal's mezcals.
      I usually only drink Don Julio Blanco, but the Kah stuff was interesting. All the best mezcals I've had were IN Mexico, and the ones I've had here are good, but are lacking something. Maybe it's mental...?
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

9. 01-16-2018 01:14 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I usually only drink Don Julio Blanco, but the Kah stuff was interesting. All the best mezcals I've had were IN Mexico, and the ones I've had here are good, but are lacking something. Maybe it's mental...?
      I've great and terrible ones both here and there. Tequila and mezcal are such a burgeoning market that it is becoming very easy to get some truly fantastic product here in the States, and for very reasonable prices. The quality of tequila and mezcal you can buy for around $40 is staggering. Try the mezcal brands I mentioned earlier, you won't be disappointed. Xicala is pretty commonly found and for $35-38, it's outstanding.

Cars
      '04 R32 DBP
      06-28-2018 05:14 PM #8
      We stumbled upon Altos recently and its incredible, but inexpensive. When the store almost ran out, I asked about it and they guy told me it was rated numerous times better than Patron, but much less expensive. Very smooth.

11. 05-20-2020 12:40 PM #9
      BUMP

Any posters here enjoy tequila and/or mezcal (or other Mexican/agave spirits) and want to share their experiences and feedback?

Cars
      2017 Explorer
      05-20-2020 10:28 PM #10
      Well I can't stomach it even since I was 18, but my wife fell in love with Herradura when we were in Costa Rica.
      °.lllllll.° - Gone but not forgotten

Cars
      B7 TDI
      06-20-2020 12:43 AM #11
      Dunno where Cazadores fits on the scale of good to bad, etc., but I like it. Great price, easy to find, and it is smooth.
      Gone and missed: '03 Mk4 1.8T 5M GL wagon, '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.