Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      06-21-2018 03:05 AM #26
      ^ Yet, more notes taken. Thanks!
      Gone and missed: '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      06-21-2018 10:50 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by flygliii View Post
      ^ Yet, more notes taken. Thanks!
      You are more than welcome! We've been working on bagging national and large state parks and monuments for years. We've done Acadia a couple times, Shenandoah is within 2 hours from home so we get there at least once per year, Redwoods, Point Reyes, and Glacier. Hit Outer Banks several years back in the winter and did the Jockey's Ridge/Wright Bros Monument and Hatteras. Came over oregon inlet in a whiteout snow storm hauling a mostly empty 12ft uhaul box trailer. Not a fun drive.

I think next on the list is the Dry Tortugas and Everglades. If finances allowed it, i'd buy an RV, throw her and the dogs in it, and criss cross the country.
      Last edited by DeeJoker; 06-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

4. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      06-21-2018 12:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post

Rising Sun/St Mary's recently had burned when we there in September 2015. We never stopped, just passed through on the road. All parking lots were blocked. I'm assuming you're referring to the restored tour buses? Wanted to ride them but never got around to it.

Water sources = critters.

Two quick ones:

We were hiking in Two Medicine and heading up a waterfall. Had two juvenile Mule deer follow us all the way up, I think they'd never seen people before.

When we did the Highline, I came out of the pit toilets at Granite Park Chalet and next thing you know, my phone beeps a text message alert. Having been in the park for almost a week and not having any reception just about anywhere, I was shocked. Come to find out, Granite Park has a cell antenna, and it covers about 100 yards around the property! Middle of nowhere and I had reception!
      Rising Sun and St. Mary were untouched by the fire. It got close to Rising Sun, but I'm pretty sure nothing in the camp burned. We were at the Chalet in 2015, and then camped in St. Mary in 2016. Driving by the burned area a year later you could still smell the fire. It was weird.

The antenna is a solar-powered array mounted on the NW corner of the chalet.

After reading the book The Night of The Grizzlies, I learned that there is a campground by the Chalet, if one wanted to do a backcountry overnighter. However, staying in a place where bears are *known* to hang out is not my idea of fun. The valley near the Chalet is called Bear Valley. At least in the Chalet you have protection.

The GP shuttles are the van buses, like airport shuttles. They are free. The old-style buses (Red Jammers, iirc) are paid tour buses. [starship troopers voice]Would you like to know more? https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm

My b-i-l and his daughter went up to Sperry last summer, a week or two before the big fire that destroyed a lot of the structures.

In 2015 my buddy and I went out at midnight to take pics of the milky way. The forest fires made it a bit hazy. But in the darkness down in the trees we heard a big rustling. I hear the sound of a Glock coming out of plastic and then saw a bright light. We spotted a buck. We went back to taking pictures. I went to bed sometime after 1, he stayed up. And got some selfies. He then woke up his kids to see the buck.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

5. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      06-21-2018 02:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Rising Sun and St. Mary were untouched by the fire. It got close to Rising Sun, but I'm pretty sure nothing in the camp burned. We were at the Chalet in 2015, and then camped in St. Mary in 2016. Driving by the burned area a year later you could still smell the fire. It was weird.
      Yep. We were touch and go leading up to our trip, possibly considering doing Yellowstone instead. The guy we rented the Westy from was ready to make an exception for us. Due to the fires, the Rising Sun and St Mary's areas were all blocked out at the parking lots and work was being done on the GTTSR all along the eastern part. We had planned on camping in St. Mary's but had to divert to Many Glacier that day. Worked out well- we stayed in the lodge that night since the campground was full and the difference between the motor lodge cabins and hotel was minimal.

You're right about smelling the fire, it was jarring. The landscape was eerie, too. Charred tree trunks and reddish brown rocks but splashes of green from where the forest was coming back. Pic below.

The antenna is a solar-powered array mounted on the NW corner of the chalet.
      Totally makes sense. Ms Joker said "Was that your phone?" and dammit if it was! I was switching between the phone and the big camera the entire hike.

After reading the book The Night of The Grizzlies, I learned that there is a campground by the Chalet, if one wanted to do a backcountry overnighter. However, staying in a place where bears are *known* to hang out is not my idea of fun. The valley near the Chalet is called Bear Valley. At least in the Chalet you have protection.
      We chatted with some thru-hikers along the Highline, they told us about that. Since we were there in the first week of September, the chalet was closed/closing for the season. Same with Two Medicine Camp Store. I'll have to check that book out, thanks!

On the way back down (Loop trail?) to the GTTSR, the area had burned about 10+ years prior. Growth was 12-15ft for the bigger trees with sun bleached "skeletons" of the burned trees interspersed.

The GP shuttles are the van buses, like airport shuttles. They are free. The old-style buses (Red Jammers, iirc) are paid tour buses. [starship troopers voice]Would you like to know more? https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm
      Ah, I recall those, too. I was thinking the Jammers. Still want to go back and catch a ride on one.

My b-i-l and his daughter went up to Sperry last summer, a week or two before the big fire that destroyed a lot of the structures.

In 2015 my buddy and I went out at midnight to take pics of the milky way. The forest fires made it a bit hazy. But in the darkness down in the trees we heard a big rustling. I hear the sound of a Glock coming out of plastic and then saw a bright light. We spotted a buck. We went back to taking pictures. I went to bed sometime after 1, he stayed up. And got some selfies. He then woke up his kids to see the buck.
      Awesome pic!

Highline Goat

Griz on Grinnell

GTTSR near St Mary's

Griz near Akapuni in the Many Glacier area (this is the one I mentioned that was chasing a black bear across the slide)

Doo Doo Doo looking out my back door (quite literally the view from our room at the lodge in Many Glacier.)

Pika at Akapuni Falls

Granite Park Chalet:

Nice Marmot, man!

Big Horn off Highline

Annie looking out over Haystack Pass from the Highline Trail

Akapuni Falls

Chilling it down at Grinnell Glacier

Flathead Lake from Big Arm at Sunset

And since this is a car enthusiast forum... Our noble steed, the "No Brainer."
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      06-21-2018 03:55 PM #30
      Thanks for the fotos, they are amazing!
      Gone and missed: '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      08-21-2018 09:07 PM #31
      4,300 miles .... drove through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Iowa.
      First stop was Theodore Roosevelt National Park where it reached temps of 109, damn hot, at least there was a slight breeze.
      Ran into a little snafu at Glacier National Park, 2 days before we arrived there was a severe thunderstorm with lightning which happened to start 3 wildfires on the western side of the park. So The Going To The Sun Road was only open for approximately 17 miles (East Entrance to Logan Pass); the western half of the park was closed. We ended up visiting what we could and that included the Two Medicine area where I was fortunate enough to get a photo of a Black Bear crossing the river near Running Eagle Falls. We decided to make a quick run down to Yellowstone, then to Devil's Tower, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Wall Drug and Corn Palace and then home.

Here is a link to some of the photos from the trip. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmr9vJvk

I'll need to edit and produce some video's from the GoPro's while Driving The Going to the Sun Road, Needles Hwy and Iron Mt. Road.

Last edited by CruznMalibu; 08-21-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Cars
      a Mk4 and a B7.
      08-21-2018 10:16 PM #32
      Great fotos! Thanks for the link, will check it out later.

9. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      08-24-2018 11:26 AM #33
      Great pics!

Q: How do you get that blurred/dissolved effect on the waterfalls?

10. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      08-24-2018 12:07 PM #34
      Great pics!

iPhone X has a setting. some other phone photo apps probably have a setting as well.

other option is a camera with an ND filter, highest f-stop, 1/10th or slower shutter speed, and a tripod.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      08-24-2018 01:41 PM #35
      Great pics!

I used a tripod, DSLR (Nikon D800), 8 stop Variable ND filter with Shutter speeds in the 1.5 - 2 second range.
      Hiking would be so much easier if I just used my iPhone. I lost 10 pounds last week lugging this stuff around. It's all good.

12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      08-24-2018 01:57 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      I used a tripod, DSLR (Nikon D800), 8 stop Variable ND filter with Shutter speeds in the 1.5 - 2 second range.
      Hiking would be so much easier if I just used my iPhone. I lost 10 pounds last week lugging this stuff around. It's all good.
      I'm usually lugging around my DSLR & Tripod, too. When we stayed at the Chalet, I lugged an additional 100-400mm lens with me. What's another ~7lbs when you're already at 45lbs? My pack was nearly 55lbs. 7.5mi on the Highline Trail.

13. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      08-25-2018 11:00 AM #37
      Thanks, I'll have to play with my X to see if I can get a similar effect. I lugged my DLSR bodied Coolpix 510 with me through Glacier and Redwoods because it was so much better than my old 7.

Now, I'm not as sure since I have the X and the Nikon is a PITA to carry if I'm trying to hike light.

14. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      08-25-2018 02:34 PM #38
      Thanks, I'll have to play with my X to see if I can get a similar effect. I lugged my DLSR bodied Coolpix 510 with me through Glacier and Redwoods because it was so much better than my old 7.

Now, I'm not as sure since I have the X and the Nikon is a PITA to carry if I'm trying to hike light.
      Take a picture of water. Then view the picture. Slide the picture up, and there will be options to edit the photo. Scroll to the right to "Long Exposure" and done. I believe it's only on the X, I have the iPhone 6S and do not have that feature. The 8 may.

15. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      08-25-2018 03:35 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Take a picture of water. Then view the picture. Slide the picture up, and there will be options to edit the photo. Scroll to the right to "Long Exposure" and done. I believe it's only on the X, I have the iPhone 6S and do not have that feature. The 8 may.
      I'll have to go take a hike to the river and test this. Thanks!

16. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      08-26-2018 12:47 PM #40
      I'll have to go take a hike to the river and test this. Thanks!
      or, a kitchen sink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12