Fourtitude.com - Smart Watches...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      01-05-2018 06:59 PM #1
      So, back when these were the hot new gadget (2013) I was gifted one of the Samsung Galaxy Gear watches.

It was interesting but never made it into my rotation and I thought it was sold or given away years ago. While digging around I found it again, and now I have no earthly idea what to do with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Gear

Thoughts? Ideas?
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-05-2018 08:11 PM #2
      Retuned mine immediately. Phablet is my watch and I always seem to know what time it is

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Cars
      2006 A4 Avant
      01-08-2018 04:11 PM #3
      Assuming it still works and you have no use for it (sounds like you don't), I would just list it for sale on Swappa and make a little money.

I debated picking up a smart watch a few weeks ago, but as much as I like to have gadgets and such, I can't bring myself to justify the price for one. My wife has a Garmin (actually on her 2nd) and uses it a lot, but for me even with the fitness tracking aspect, which is what I would likely use the most, it just seems to frivolous an expense.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      01-09-2018 03:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Assuming it still works and you have no use for it (sounds like you don't), I would just list it for sale on Swappa and make a little money.

I debated picking up a smart watch a few weeks ago, but as much as I like to have gadgets and such, I can't bring myself to justify the price for one. My wife has a Garmin (actually on her 2nd) and uses it a lot, but for me even with the fitness tracking aspect, which is what I would likely use the most, it just seems to frivolous an expense.
      The newer ones are becoming more and more intriguing.
      The new Samsung Gear S3 is basically a phone on your wrist. Like LTE cellular full phone. Add in the ability to control IOT devices through Samsung SmartThings and the price is not that bad when you find them on sale.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

7. Member
      Cars
      2006 A4 Avant
      01-09-2018 04:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      The newer ones are becoming more and more intriguing.
      The new Samsung Gear S3 is basically a phone on your wrist. Like LTE cellular full phone. Add in the ability to control IOT devices through Samsung SmartThings and the price is not that bad when you find them on sale.
      The Gear S3 is the one I had been looking at, specifically the Gear S3 Frontier. Just before Christmas it was on sale for $280, but the price is back up again currently. I was looking at the Garmin 645 a couple days ago, being able to store music on the watch is a pretty cool feature, out here there is no cell signal, so streaming via the watch is not an option. Being able to store some music on the watch itself is a cool bonus. But, $450.

My biggest issue at the moment, in addition to pricing for me, is that I suspect a new batch are just around the corner. The LG Sport Watch was released last February, the Galaxy Gear S3 back in November 2016. I would be surprised if LG and Samsung are not releasing new watches this year, while i don't need the latest and greatest, I would hate to pick up one of those watches and then a month later see them on clearance as a new model has been announced.

8. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      01-09-2018 05:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      I would hate to pick up one of those watches and then a month later see them on clearance as a new model has been announced.
      That is the same boat my wife and I are in currently. I figure by March we should have an idea what is going to be released this year.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

9. Member
      Cars
      2006 A4 Avant
      01-09-2018 08:39 PM #7
      March would make sense, Samsung typically announce the latest Galaxy phone in March, a new watch would make sense to be announced around the same time. LG may announce something in February, and some manufacturers may even reveal something at CES.

Huawei held a press conference today that was supposed to include watches, but I have not seen anything. The Skagen Falster looks interesting, as does the Suunto 3 fitness (although I hate the gold rim and not keen on a white watch).

10. Member
      Cars
      2006 A4 Avant
      01-15-2018 11:14 AM #8
      So, I gave in and picked up a Galaxy S3 Frontier.... had to get some things from Costco over the weekend and they had them for $269 (from Samsung direct they are currently $349). Figured that with used values going for average $210-$220, that even if Samsung or another manufacturer releases something in the next few months and I want to upgrade, I will only be out a minimal amount.

As to the watch itself, it's pretty dang useful really. Fitness tracking works well, notifications from pretty much any app on my phone are pushed to it, the weather is nice to have right there, replying to text messages is fairly simple, albeit a little awkward to write anything more than a short message. You can use either the keyboard or write on the screen with your finger. The biggest hassle for me was getting my work email and meeting schedule to show on the watch. The Outlook calendar won't sync across and for some reason, I also was not getting Outlook email notifications despite being enabled. After a bit of research an email app called Nine sounded like the best solution. It is not the cheapest app at $14.99 (2 week free trial) but set up with both work and personal email was incredibly simple, all my calendar notifications are now on the watch with the same level of reminders I would get on my phone. I can also reply to work emails if I wanted to do so, although as with text messages, sending anything other than a really brief reply would be difficult. I have not paid for the app yet, but unless I can find another solution most likely will do. I know Outlook is available on Android Wear, so it would be nice if they can also port it to the Tizen OS that Samsung are using.

The size of the watch is not bad either, I don't have huge wrists but am using the large strap and the watch face does not look absurdly large. Will update in a few weeks after some more use.