Fourtitude.com - Batteries - Educate Me (Electronic Forum is Dead)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 01-01-2018 04:59 PM #1
      The wife got me an Evo Pro 3 Gimbal for a GoPro Hero5. Unit comes with rechargeable batteries (IMR 18650 2000mAh 3.7V) with a charger of questionable quality.

Their website indicates that these are: ICR or IMR high drain batteries rated equivalent to 10A minimum current draw. Essentially, I was wondering if I can use longer lasting batteries (i.e., 3000mah vs. 2000mah) that are also 3.7V, but have a higher amperage (such as 30A vs. their reported 10A "minimum current draw"). Both batteries would also be labelled as "IMR." My experience thus far is that the batteries received with the unit drain extremely fast, within 30-40 minutes of gimbal use.

Not an electronics guy, and could really use some advise. Don't want to buy a pair of rechargeable batteries only to ruin this X-mas gift.

An example of same battery parameters, except for the amperage draw.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      01-02-2018 02:07 AM #2
      Short answer. Yes

Just expect to get an additional 15 minutes of use with your Gimbal using the 3000mAh vs 2000mAh battery.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      01-02-2018 07:09 AM #3
      If I'm reading it correctly, the 10A "minimum" means this cell can output a minimum of 10A (meaning, At Least 10A) without causing physical damage to the cell.
      The gimbal is dictating the current draw. If a 10A capable cell can power it, one rated to output 30A will be able to power it.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

01-02-2018 02:20 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      If I'm reading it correctly, the 10A "minimum" means this cell can output a minimum of 10A (meaning, At Least 10A) without causing physical damage to the cell.
      The gimbal is dictating the current draw. If a 10A capable cell can power it, one rated to output 30A will be able to power it.
      Yeah batteries have voltage drop the higher the amperage is. So let's say the battery sits at 3.7V with no draw on it. It might pull down to 3.68v with a 1A draw or 3.5v with a 10A draw. Try to pull 20A from it and it might pull down to 3.0v or something that causes the undervoltage protection of the battery or electronic device to cut it off. A battery that is rated for up to 30A draw would be one that has a lower voltage drop at each point on the amperage curve.

Think of it like saying you need to have at least 10 horsepower. A 30hp motor will get the job done too, and with a lot more headroom to keep working when it's old and has been used a whole lot. Batteries generally perform worse the more times they have been charged, so the battery that used to have a certain voltage drop at 10A might drop too much at 10A after it's been charged X number of times. A battery with a 30A draw rating should in theory be able to go through a lot more usage & charge cycles before 10A takes it out of spec.