VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

FS: C5 A6 with 6MT S6 swap (MN)

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Ginstermobile 
#1 ·
If you're on Facebook and run in any of the familiar circles, you've already probably seen me post this, but here it is again...

In order to purchase another "dream" car of mine I am forced to sell my current daily driver.

To start; This is a 2001 A6 4.2 chassis. I bought the car with the 6-speed swap already done by the previous owner using all C5 2.7T 01E supplies. It had the Allroad door blades on it already, and a few other trim bits.

Since I have owned it; The front seat heating grids failed, so I searched long and far for sport black seats with heaters, alas no luck, so I threw in the best non-heated sport seats I could find. The full front control arm set was replaced along with the front wheel bearings.

In the last year I have put a lot of effort into trying to keep this car within the realm of being a capable daily driver. The cam chain tensioner pads unfortunately failed in the stock 4.2 as usual. Luckily, a local had a C5 S6 that the engine was coming out of for his 2.7T swap, so it all lined up pretty well. AT the time the engine swap was performed the transmission and engine mounts were all replaced, the clutch with flywheel and pressure plate were replaced with a single-mass unit. The flywheel isn't super light which is nice, so there isn't a whole lot of the usual chatter associated with that. The ECU was coded accordingly, however I get an occasional CEL for the deleted secondary air pump assembly. I will hopefully have the ECM worked on again before the sale to try to correct this condition. The front brakes were replaced about 7k miles ago with the Porsche 18Z setup by using the aluminum mounting brackets, ML55 Rotors bored out to fit, and Brembo factory pads. The rear brakes were replaced along with the parking brake cables so they actually work and return correctly. The current wheel and tire combo consists of the Sport Edition 5-spoke AMG knock-offs with new snows. All four corners have the longer ECS wheel studs and wheel spacers with the late model center bore on the outside so there is no need for the pesky hubcentric rings to run the newer bore size wheels. The car has been lowered on some standard H&Rs and Bilsteins, ride isn't Bentley-quality, but not terrible either.

Before the sale; I will band-aid the exhaust. The PO did a number on the system, and it works, but could use a full system at some time. I will re-weld a current section that is starting to corrode so that it will be ready to drive with no immediate lurking problems, but just have this on your radar. I will also be swapping out the left tie-rod, maybe both. I noticed on the last shake down that the left front tie rod was starting to make some noise, so I will do that and an alignment to compliment the repair.

The body needs some general loving. I noticed over the last year the corrosion on the doors just above the lower trim has been getting worse on the left side. I don't like the idea of selling it like that, so I have tracked down two "better" condition doors off of another local part-out. They aren't new, but the paint is in comparable shape, and they aren't rusting. I will also be replacing the left front fender as is was at some point pulled up a little (likely someone trying to 'lift' the body enough to get hoist arms underneath it, being at a shop I surprisingly see this enough). Again, I will be installing a used one, but should blend with the rest of the regular wear on the other body panels. The right front window is also slow sometimes, and will likely need future attention. If I can get to it before sale, I will. The headlights have the usual C5 random moisture infiltration, the auto leveling usually isn't working, and the HID ballasts always take a few tries to turn on when the temperature dips below 10-degrees.

I have enjoyed this car as my quality DD for about 4-years and I am reluctant to sell it, but at the same time I am a man of opportunity and recognize this opens the door for me to get something else I really want!

The odometer reading on the S6 cluster, which is basically moot at this point since none of the original drive-train is left, reads about 118k miles. I don't believe this to be an accurate representation of the chassis's mileage, but the PO provided no other documentation. Take that as you will, but IMHO it isn't very relevant anymore.

Please email me with any questions or concerns. If you would like to chat about the vehicle more include your phone number and I am more than happy to discuss over the phone.

Derrik
PWBmotorsport@gmail.com

Pictures tag in the Motorgeek thread.
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=212801

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.