VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A3 8p compound turbo K04/GT45 build

30K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  Brycbenn24 
#1 ·
In the past 5 years I have learned a lot from various forums and use that information to modify my car with the intention to have a better road car with good sport performance and occasional 1/4 mile race. Here is a graphic story of my Cars evolution from stock K03 to whatever it evolved into, English is not my language so I will not put much detail in the descriptions but if someone have a question fell free to ask and I will try to share whatever experience I gained.

#59 ·
I'm impressed. Also, a little curious. What kind of power do you expect to make? Is there a reason to have the larger turbo feed the smaller one? It seems like it should be the opposite, but from a packaging standpoint it makes sense.

One last question, if you don't mind. When you drilled the hole for the bolt to hold in the check valve on the cam bridge, how did you do it? Did you measure at the top with calipers and then go to the bottom with a punch? Also, were you able to just use a cordless drill or do you have a drill press that can clear into that area? What size tap / bolt did you use?

Sorry for all the questions. It really is great work.

#60 ·
I would like to get 500whp, the turbo arrangement is a compound setup that is quite common on diesel aplications and is getting its way into gas engines, in simple terms is like puting a turbo on a turbo engine. The main reason for me is to have as little lag as possible, it drives like a stock k04 with the extra power on top.

For the cam bridge I used calipers to meassure a punch on the outer part and a drill press, tap is m4 and I used red lock tite to hold the bolt.

Sent from my SM-A305G using Tapatalk

#62 ·
I succesfully managed to operate the AVS on my engine, it required an ECU swap from a TT engine cide CETA. Now I need to tune it but it sims that this cpu is not very comon and Eurodyne does not orovide support for it, any one now of an alternative?

#63 · (Edited)
I think you need to go larger on the secondary turbo, as a rule of thumb it should be able to flow twice as much as the primary at a low pressure ratio, in terms of Hp K04=330 Gt?=660.
Another way of sizing the large turbo is to concider that a 2.0 l engine at 1 bar (15 psi) flows the same as a 4.0 l na engine, thats what the big turbo will be getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.