VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Hot Wheels

383K views 4K replies 191 participants last post by  Activ8 
#1 · (Edited)
No, not pics of cars on fire.
Nothing stolen.

Yes I know we have a die-cast forum, but there’s more traffic on a Pyongyang toll road.

Mattel has been introducing some interesting stuff. From 60/70s muscle to 80/90s tuners. Now samplings from VAG, Magnus Walker, etc. I can’t leave a Target with at least $10 in Hot Wheels (usually buying duplicates for my son.)

When I was in OH last week, the local Wally World had a bin full of these Lamborghini specific ones, $.97 each. I picked up three lots of them and I see them on eBay for $25 a lot.

But it’s a shame really because they end up here. Yes all those boxes/totes are filled. I have a disease.

See less See more
#78 ·
Dayum, i need to find a way to display them without my kid getting in the way... between me and the wife had over 100 she started giving some away, every time we went grocery shopping i would get one or two at least. need to get back on that habit.

#82 ·
That is a nice case and collection you have. Very jealous you were able to find some many in Race colours.

You guys have inspired me to make a run to the local Walmart and Toys R Us to see if I can find the Audi Quattro and the VW GTi.
I buy them and my 3 year old and I race them on her track. I started with my 10 year old and its been passed down to the 3 year old now.
We have a pretty good collection going.I grabbed a few of the old Ferrari 5 packs they sold so we have a pretty good collection of Ferrari's.

#85 ·
I used to collect when i was a kid and still do collect some as an adult. Have box from 1991-1994 that are all unopenned. just picked up a gopro hotwheels for future use when my son is old enough to start playing. Already have a gopro session so it was a no brainer.

#87 ·
Every time we go to Pomona swap meet my son gets about $20 worth. Not to mention what he gets at auto zone. The hit wheels expenditures are f'ing larger then my 401K

#89 ·
One thing I have to say is kind of cool is to have a Matchbox of your car precise in the
details.

1979 Matchbox Targa 911 SC in Guards red with cork interior:

1979 Targa 911 SC in guards red with cork interior, my seats are new:

But never buy Matchboxes of say vintage Rolls Royce’s or Maseratis and try this.

#94 ·
Scored some that were on sale .88 at Walmart

VAG Products:
71' Porsche 911 (Polizei - White / Green)
Porsche 917 LH (Blue)
VW SP2 (Cream w/Black - Orange Stripe)
VW Custom Beetle
VW Golf GTI (Red)
VW Kafer Racer (Yellow)

Non - VAG:
Pagani Huayra (Red)
16' Mercedes-AMG GT3 (Yellow)
Corvette Grand Sport Roadster (Yellow)
16' Cadillac ATS-V R (White)

#97 ·
Ive bought many of these on this page myself over the last couple months. Building quite a selection for my son's B-day and first major Hotwheels racing track in September. Between now and then I'll probably find another 20 or so. :laugh:

Headsup - Just picked up a Spider Mobile dune buggy, ala the 70's Spiderman comics.

#104 ·
Living The Dream

On the commute home yesterday I saw a Dodge Challenger, a deep sparkly blue, it was super shiny. It had huge blingtastic chrome wheels. It looked like a cool Hot Wheels car.

It was sitting on the side of the highway (ha!) and it reminded me of how, when we get older, we build our toys of the past. Same thing with Bro Dozers, they're over the top impractical, but in the end represent the fun that got us hooked on autos.

#106 ·
Back when my old Saab was still running, I had wedged an old Hot Wheels car underneath the inoperable tripmeter reset --- it was a '69 Silver Shadow which was once spectraflame blue, but I had played with it so much when I was little that almost all the paint was gone, as was the hood that was unhinged and missing. LOL
Man, I really loved that thing!

https://hotwheels.fandom.com/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Silver_Shadow

Old Hot Wheels that you grew up with are sorta special,
even if they are thrashed out beyond belief.

#108 ·
I took inventory today and I’m down to about 18 unopened packs with only two doubles. I’ve been very generous with my son as rewards as well gifts for other kids. It feels good but it also feels weird, the little man still likes them but he is mostly about saving up for Legos and Nerf. All of the money lessons are paying off in the long run, it we buy far less cars. /sad dad