Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Wheels

Cars
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      11-05-2017 07:36 PM #1
      No, not pics of cars on fire.
      Nothing stolen.

Yes I know we have a die-cast forum, but there’s more traffic on a Pyongyang toll road.

Mattel has been introducing some interesting stuff. From 60/70s muscle to 80/90s tuners. Now samplings from VAG, Magnus Walker, etc. I can’t leave a Target with at least $10 in Hot Wheels (usually buying duplicates for my son.)

When I was in OH last week, the local Wally World had a bin full of these Lamborghini specific ones, $.97 each. I picked up three lots of them and I see them on eBay for $25 a lot.

But it’s a shame really because they end up here. Yes all those boxes/totes are filled. I have a disease.

Last edited by GolfTango; 11-05-2017 at 09:56 PM.
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-05-2017 07:40 PM #2
      I love buying hot wheels but alas they have fallen more or less out of favor because my son has moved on to the expensive money pit of legos.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

4. 11-05-2017 07:41 PM #3
      Good to see they're making cool stuff again, I feel like they were making a bunch of lame cars for a while there.

I collected with my dad throughout my childhood, I had 2500+ NIP cars up until about three years ago. After moving with them twice I was over it, especially since all they did was sit in totes like you've got. I sold as much as I could but got tired of trying to list/ship cars on eBay and eventually gave them all away. I kept exactly 100 cars and as much as I'd love to buy more when I see cool stuff like that 356, I just hate having the clutter now.

5. Member
      Cars
      Fahrvergnügen
      11-05-2017 07:57 PM #4
      I just picked these up for my son:

Metal body, metal base, and even rubber on the wheels.

6. Member
      Cars
      Mazda 2
      11-05-2017 08:21 PM #5
      I buy the ones I like, but eventually I cut them open with a razor and file the card away for the artwork, and then put the actual die cast into this shot glass holder turned 90 degrees: https://www.michaels.com/10147365.html
      I used to keep them all packaged, but when I realized that standard cycle cars aren't, and never will be, worth anything special, I put them on display where they can be seen and handled better. I'm also sorta tempted to mod the frame/case with LEDs to put some little spotlights on the cars. Maybe someday.

Cars
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      11-05-2017 08:27 PM #6
      Don't feel bad, I have a ton of Hot Wheels and larger models too. I had to make the decision to quit buying them, as I've ran out of room to store them. I had to quit buying car mags too!
      Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

Cars
      BRZ
      11-06-2017 12:22 AM #7
      Hot Wheels are great, I feel like Jay Leno for a tiny fraction of the cost

Their realistic stuff is super cool, but I've always appreciated the fantasy cars as well.

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/12]

9. Member
      11-06-2017 12:30 AM #8
      Sorry no pics, but I do the same for my sons. There are probably 3-40 cars at this point, with several more tucked away for future gifts, etc. Got some really good ones as well. Mattel has really cranked out some interesting ones over the last couple of years. Latest pickup was a JDM 240Z and a Ducati. Can't wait to give them to the boys for Xmas.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Cars
      10-speed bike
      11-06-2017 07:15 AM #9
      yep, looks like what I've been buying too. I inherited a small collection from my dad, but started actively collecting when Jada released all those high quality VW models. since then, I'd been picking up anything interesting, whenever I see them. I don't go actively shopping. I have over 50 of the most rare/valuable/favorite on display at home, in individual jewel cases; another 45-ish at work as discussion pieces, and easily that many still in packaging in storage, for when I have time to build a display for them. most are 1/50 or 1/64 scale matchbox size, some are larger, some smaller.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

Cars
      11-10-2017 12:37 PM #10
      But Matchbox has great detail too!

Instagram!
      My flickr

12. Member
      Cars
      Fahrvergnügen
      11-10-2017 02:03 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by N2OInferno View Post
      I buy the ones I like, but eventually I cut them open with a razor and file the card away for the artwork, and then put the actual die cast into this shot glass holder turned 90 degrees: https://www.michaels.com/10147365.html
      I used to keep them all packaged, but when I realized that standard cycle cars aren't, and never will be, worth anything special, I put them on display where they can be seen and handled better. I'm also sorta tempted to mod the frame/case with LEDs to put some little spotlights on the cars. Maybe someday.
      This is a great idea. I think I'm going to do this in my office at work.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-10-2017 02:05 PM #12
      It's been a while since I looked at Target or Walmart for cars. Need to go again based on some of the stuff posted.

Cars
      Neverlose & Exhaust Ticking LS
      11-10-2017 02:29 PM #13
      Started getting back into Hot Wheels recently. I usually stick to buying the ones I am interested in. Mostly Euro cars. I am looking for the Mercedes Cosworth 190E, that thing is tits. I have most of the Race Day cars despite being ~$3 per car.

For some reason the wife rolls her eyes and scoffs each time I dart towards the Hot Wheels aisle. I mean, there are worse addictions more expense addictions out there. These are only $1 and reusable for future generations. I mean, she doesn't even know how many guns and how much ammunition I have anymore.

I didn't know until a few months ago that there are Treasure Hunts for these. Special ones Mattel makes in super small quantities that do become worth money. I noticed this after I stumbled across r/HotWheels. Oh, and not to mention the modding people do to them. Wheel swaps, painting, etc.

Also, I saw Wal-Mart on Black Friday is selling a 50 pack of Hot Wheels for $25.

Happy Collecting!
      Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHamster View Post
      Imagine the B4 Passat as the guinea pig/red headed step child that everyone hates.

Cars
      2011 128i
      11-10-2017 02:37 PM #14
      there's a hot wheels exhibit in a museum here and I've been trying to find someone to go with me lol

http://www.historymuseum.ca/hotwheels/
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-10-2017 03:26 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tCrayon View Post

Also, I saw Wal-Mart on Black Friday is selling a 50 pack of Hot Wheels for $25.

Happy Collecting!
      This might be worth changing out of the Thanksgiving sweatsedo for.

Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      11-10-2017 03:37 PM #16
      if im at the store, and i see one that catches my eye ill pick it up.... how my cubicle wall looks currently... have ran out of room to keep them singles.... so some are doubled up (same model,different colorways, etc...) all pretty much sorted by manufacturer...

/| OMGHAI |\

Cars
      11-10-2017 04:28 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tCrayon View Post
      Started getting back into Hot Wheels recently. I usually stick to buying the ones I am interested in. Mostly Euro cars. I am looking for the Mercedes Cosworth 190E, that thing is tits. I have most of the Race Day cars despite being ~$3 per car.

For some reason the wife rolls her eyes and scoffs each time I dart towards the Hot Wheels aisle. I mean, there are worse addictions more expense addictions out there. These are only $1 and reusable for future generations. I mean, she doesn't even know how many guns and how much ammunition I have anymore.

I didn't know until a few months ago that there are Treasure Hunts for these. Special ones Mattel makes in super small quantities that do become worth money. I noticed this after I stumbled across r/HotWheels. Oh, and not to mention the modding people do to them. Wheel swaps, painting, etc.

Happy Collecting!
      Of all my years of browsing, I've only found one Treasure Hunt. I believe it's a 1998, or 99 series.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      This might be worth changing out of the Thanksgiving sweatsedo for.
      Yes indeed!
      Instagram!
      My flickr

19. Member
      11-10-2017 04:36 PM #18
      Just added these:

And this one that opens in the back...

Xmas will be a good one this year.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

20. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      11-10-2017 07:05 PM #19
      Been collecting for over 15 years, but have always played with Hot Wheels and Matchbox...HW has been on a JDM hype as of late. Good stuff coming out if you like that and Euro.

I'm sure a lot of guys here are in the know but for those that are new, best way to keep up with the latest releases, these sites are my go to ones:

http://t-hunted.blogspot.com/
      https://lamleygroup.com/

Cars
      2015 GTI SE,2008 3.2 TT(sold) ,1992 16V GTI(sold),2010 A3 TDI(sold)
      11-11-2017 07:59 AM #20
      I'm old....so that being said I still have all my hot wheels and matchboxes from when I was a kid.I have them displayed in a shadow box I made. My oldest hot wheel is a 67 firebird convertible......from 1967. My matchboxes pre date that. I think including the two or three corgi mini coopers I have its @ 80 cars. All mint or near mint.You see I was a dorky kid who collected the cars instead of playing with them. Sadly no boxes. but I have a few of the badges that came with the hot wheels. My favorite is my all chrome mustang I got from the hot wheels club @ 1969.

Related subject. I buy up all the classic mini cooper hot wheels and matchboxes that I see when I'm out shopping. I give them to little kids when at shows or vintage races while driving the 1:1 classic minis I have. I always figure I became a car guy because of those tiny cars and maybe I can do the same for some little boy or girl. I was at a show once and a dad of one of my kids came over and said his boy brought the cars I gave him to the show "because they are show cars too" I took a look and they were on the dash of his dad's car.

22. Member
      Cars
      Fahrvergnügen
      11-11-2017 10:15 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      ... And this one that opens in the back...

Baja Hauler

Xmas will be a good one this year.
      Must. Find. This. Truck.

Cars
      '96 LX450
      11-11-2017 11:10 AM #22
      My gf collects, trades, and sells these. I had a small collection back in the day, but ultimately donated them to Toys for Tots.

She goes out several times a week to track down Treasure Hunts and Super Treasure Hunts. Here's a few pics of what is in the immediate vicinity of the computer.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      11-11-2017 12:08 PM #23
      I used to have a Corgi selection that went back some 30 to 50 years...they stayed in Europe with a family member. This thread is making me want to ship them over.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 08 Yukon XL
      11-11-2017 12:15 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I used to have a Corgi selection that went back some 30 to 50 years...they stayed in Europe with a family member. This thread is making me want to ship them over.
      Corgi's were awesome. I has a bunch of them.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

Cars
      3 VW's and an old skateboard
      11-11-2017 12:30 PM #25
      Saw my member name in the title and had to post!

I'm a Hot Wheels fan, here's a small sample of some stuff, no $.99 cars here..

I also like 1:32 slot cars, although I never race em.

#vegasstrong
      #goknights

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast