Fourtitude.com - Turning an old 1920's Ford Garage into a DIY Garage
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 496
    1. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,872
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-20-2017 07:23 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Sounds like someone is volunteering if I provide the beer and paint


      Actually that’d be fun. I wish I could, as I’ve never been up your way before.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      12-21-2017 02:06 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post


      Actually that’d be fun. I wish I could, as I’ve never been up your way before.


      Summer/Fall is best, winter is pretty sucky....damn snow for 4 more months
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    4. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,872
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-21-2017 02:20 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post


      Summer/Fall is best, winter is pretty sucky....damn snow for 4 more months
      Bummer...

      We have about 2 snowfalls per year on average and usually only a few inches. There are some winters when we have practically no snowfall and occasionally we have 12" or more, but those are the outliers. All in all it's not too bad, but I still greatly prefer spring!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    5. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      12-21-2017 03:23 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Bummer...

      We have about 2 snowfalls per year on average and usually only a few inches. There are some winters when we have practically no snowfall and occasionally we have 12" or more, but those are the outliers. All in all it's not too bad, but I still greatly prefer spring!
      Cannot wait for the snow to be over! Spring is really nice provided you do not mind avoiding the pot holes from the plow crews ripping up all the patched spots. Sounds like you have really nice and mild winters!
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    6. Member Fastvolks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2003
      Location
      Somewhere Bananas
      Posts
      5,560
      Cars
      MK7.5 GTI • Audi B7 S4
      12-21-2017 03:59 PM #105
      Nice job man keep up the good work! Maybe you said already but where exactly is this I live in Sterling, MA? Or PM me?
      Last edited by Fastvolks; 12-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.

    7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,872
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-21-2017 04:06 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Cannot wait for the snow to be over! Spring is really nice provided you do not mind avoiding the pot holes from the plow crews ripping up all the patched spots. Sounds like you have really nice and mild winters!
      Our winters aren't bad at all in that regard. It's nothing like New England, that's for sure!

      On the other extreme back in the late '60s my brother was pulled over in Oklahoma. There was 1/4" of snow and they stopped him because (get this) they had shut down the highway! The best part? The cops had snow chains!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2016
      Posts
      3,306
      Cars
      81 Rabbit, 85 Gti, 94 Jetta, 87 Gti16V, and 01 Gti.
      01-03-2018 05:55 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Fixed. I hate brake fluid on clean floors so much!
      So I was instantly reminded of our little conversation here about different crappy fluids on a good floor recently. I had the pleasure of doing both rear hard brake-lines on my sister's Subi a couple weeks back(16 hours of labor). That's a job that no matter what you do brake fluid will end up on your floor. In my little garage I wasn't too worried, it's just unpainted concrete.
      -Noah how's your new shop coming?

      Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

    9. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-03-2018 06:59 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by dviking mk2 View Post
      So I was instantly reminded of our little conversation here about different crappy fluids on a good floor recently. I had the pleasure of doing both rear hard brake-lines on my sister's Subi a couple weeks back(16 hours of labor). That's a job that no matter what you do brake fluid will end up on your floor. In my little garage I wasn't too worried, it's just unpainted concrete.
      -Noah how's your new shop coming?

      Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

      Ah yes brake fluid on the garage floor, such fun!!! Even worse rusty brake lines


      Progress has been slow with the cold and being super busy at work so only was able to tackle a few things over Christmas/New Years in between running around, and being without heat in the living area upstairs for the past week. So this past week of living out of a suit case at the girlfriends has limited the late nights in the garage after work. Hopefully heat will be restored tomorrow, depending on the weather

      In other projects getting the year end wrap up, was able to finish up putting the differential into that 02A transmission, which after looking around for all the tools and fixtures I had made many years ago had seemed to get lost in the move somehow.

      Milling the rivets on the 02A differential makes quick works to allow to press them out of the ring gear/diff and free up the gear to install onto the LSD.




      Decided to make up a little fixture to hold the indicator to measure the backlash to properly shim the differential. After measuring the gap of .0224" then adding the pre-load of .0235" for a total shim of .0450", I made up a shim and installed it in.




      Cleaned up housing with bearing races pressed in


      Using the old race to press in the new race a easy trick




      Last picture prior to installing the 5th gear and cover.


      Once the transmission was wrapped up and needing a break after last weeks snow, New Years Eve was able to get the welders into place and some of the wall art up into the offices.

      At one point one of the bays of the building was uses as a repair facility for lawn mowers/tractors, found this old sign up in the attic being used as a fill board. Fits this wall nicely!



      Then came moving the welders to the main work area close to the lift, having a good tig and mig welder makes life of keeping old cars/track cars in operation a much easier experience. Oh and having a plasma cutter also helps! The welding table needs some cleaning and perhaps a paint in the near future, perhaps when A&W comes up to paint the lifts green


      Then came the long waited moment of beginning some work on the Corrado....well sort of work, more like some good relaxing drinking of some hard cider and cleaning up the fenders to go back onto the car. With the incoming snow storms it looks like being trapped inside for a the weekend will mean some much needed work on the Corrado will happen.

      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    10. Member G60ING's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2000
      Location
      Annapolis Area MD
      Posts
      15,644
      Cars
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      01-03-2018 07:38 PM #109
      I wish I was closer, I’d treat that transmission to a serious cleaning on the outside. I know it doesn’t matter to performance but it just deserves to be clean.

    11. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-03-2018 08:02 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      I wish I was closer, I’d treat that transmission to a serious cleaning on the outside. I know it doesn’t matter to performance but it just deserves to be clean.
      Even after hot tanking it did not clean up and called it for this one. Perhaps sand blasting with some walnut shells would do the trick to brighten the outside up.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    12. Member VWmk3GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2013
      Posts
      1,293
      Cars
      1998 Golf GTI, 1968 Beetle,2003 Passat GLX,Some mini bikes
      01-03-2018 10:41 PM #111
      in
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I’m not judgmental, so when I see a person push the wrong pedal, I never assume what gender she is.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

    13. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      2,851
      Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      01-03-2018 11:40 PM #112
      Awesome work on the 02A! Looks slightly more professional than my setup for tearing down the blown 020 I just pulled out of my Mk2

      Keep up the good work!

    14. 01-04-2018 12:50 PM #113
      Excuse my primitive Arizona mind, but why was the heater not working?

      BTW, it's been an average of 75 degrees here this winter.

    15. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-04-2018 01:09 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Awesome work on the 02A! Looks slightly more professional than my setup for tearing down the blown 020 I just pulled out of my Mk2

      Keep up the good work!



      Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteAZ View Post
      Excuse my primitive Arizona mind, but why was the heater not working?

      BTW, it's been an average of 75 degrees here this winter.
      The main blower motor had shorted across the windings which resulted in it no longer providing air to be pushed through the ducting. Just got the motor in this morning and the heater tech swapped it in just in time for this snow storm.

      75°F sounds really nice right about now! This cold snap up here in the North East has been brutal between lots of broken pipes for people and heater systems running extensively $$$.
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    16. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-15-2018 11:14 AM #115
      This past weekend ended up being more along the lines of cleaning and organizing with a little catch up on car maintenance.

      So for the past couple months I have noticed the PS has been overflowing on my Saab 9-3 which is a sign of the seal going to the camshaft needing replacement. So this weekend I had a chance to dig into it along with some other projects.



      Leaking down the front of the bell housing


      Takes about 30 minutes to do the job. First part is to pull the battery to gain access to the two 13mm bolts holding the pump in.



      Then remove banjo bolt


      Then remove return line and use some pliers to prevent leaking everywhere.


      Remove two 13mm bolts and slide pump off. This helps if you have some rags under it on the transmission to not make a mess.





      Remove old seal, I used a couple screw drivers to pry it out with good success.



      Tap in new seal after lubricating shaft seal area to prevent ripping


      Reinstall


      Next up was to tackle the front brakes which the rotors were in rough shape. All went well until discovering the pad were for the 314mm rotor cars not the 280mm ones that I needed. After a little thought I remembered the old trick of decking the pads which were about 80% on the car. This process is to use a belt sander or a flat sanding table with some 120 grit sand paper.



      Old rotors were in rough shape from a couple years of use. While the Bosch pads were in good shape.



      Correct pad top and wrong pad lower. Ordered from FCP who sent me a message Saturday on a quick reply saying they would sort everything out on Monday. Rare is it to have a company that really does care about its customers in this day and age!


      Next up was to tackle some new spark plugs. With 213k miles the good old girl always likes some loving, I normally find the good change out level to maintain good fuel economy is every 10k miles. This also seems to prevent coil packs from burning up with fouled out plugs creating more heat.

      A nice warm cup of coffee helped on such a cold Saturday afternoon.



      After finishing up on the Saab, the one thing I noticed was that some more light over the engine bay area would be nice. So up went another T5 fixture.


      Sundays projects were getting the DSC Spot module into the 997tt and moving the cars around to get the 996tt onto the lift to begin the Widowmaker Project of completing the GT2 build.

      New

      Installed in passenger foot well


      Old


      And a beer as a reward



      Uncovered the 996 and moved it onto the lift. Took a little effort due to wheel base and positioning the arms with such a low car.




      And the list....
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    17. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      2,851
      Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      01-15-2018 11:35 AM #116
      Wait, 10k change interval for spark plugs?? Is that a typo or is there something particular about that motor that requires such a short interval?

    18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      41,872
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-15-2018 11:41 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Wait, 10k change interval for spark plugs?? Is that a typo or is there something particular about that motor that requires such a short interval?
      It's gotta be either a typo or the Saab Trionic system where the spark jumps from the plug to the piston, though I wouldn't think that would accelerate wear on the plug, just that piston!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    19. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-15-2018 11:47 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Wait, 10k change interval for spark plugs?? Is that a typo or is there something particular about that motor that requires such a short interval?
      No typo, found this originally with 1.8t's. Coils last 150k miles easily, the Saab is on original coils/turbo/cat ect. On hot running bolt on 1.8t's found that every 3k was the ticket with the copper plugs as fuel economy would go down roughly 3mpgs between 3k and 6k miles. A little insane

      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It's gotta be either a typo or the Saab Trionic system where the spark jumps from the plug to the piston, though I wouldn't think that would accelerate wear on the plug, just that piston!
      Like the Viggens that ate pistons when the MAF's/cassettes started to act up...
      Last edited by TheDeckMan; 01-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    20. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      2,851
      Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      01-15-2018 11:49 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      No typo, found this originally with 1.8t's. Coils last 150k miles easily, the Saab is on original coils/turbo/cat ect. On hot running bolt on 1.8t's found that every 3k was the ticket with the copper plugs as fuel economy would go down roughly 3mpgs between 3k and 6k miles.
      Holy balls I guess with FCP's lifetime guarantee you can afford to swap them out that often

    21. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-15-2018 11:50 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Holy balls I guess with FCP's lifetime guarantee you can afford to swap them out that often
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    22. Member theprf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2007
      Location
      Central MA
      Posts
      2,146
      Cars
      Down to 3x VR Corrado, '78 S30 280Z, '03 911 Turbo
      01-15-2018 12:57 PM #121
      Wish I wasn't so far away or I'd be down to help out too. Looks spectacular, the work you've put in since August!

      PS, I'm going to need to weld the pipes on my 6TT - when's the lift going to be available ?

    23. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-15-2018 01:05 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by theprf View Post
      Wish I wasn't so far away or I'd be down to help out too. Looks spectacular, the work you've put in since August!

      PS, I'm going to need to weld the pipes on my 6TT - when's the lift going to be available ?
      Aaron,

      Thanks! Yeah looking back at some of the pictures is crazy!

      Right now shooting for February for the engine drop on the 6tt, once I get that one done and I have a good method we can figure something out to drop and weld up your coolant fittings, might be a couple weekends depending on what else you want to do while in there

      Guess I need to get the Corrado together over the coming weeks
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    24. Member theprf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2007
      Location
      Central MA
      Posts
      2,146
      Cars
      Down to 3x VR Corrado, '78 S30 280Z, '03 911 Turbo
      01-15-2018 02:31 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Right now shooting for February for the engine drop on the 6tt, once I get that one done and I have a good method we can figure something out to drop and weld up your coolant fittings, might be a couple weekends depending on what else you want to do while in there

      Guess I need to get the Corrado together over the coming weeks
      Aren't Corrados supposed to be a continuous work in progress ?

      For the 6TT I've got a spare oil cooler mount plate & a spare coolant elbow that I'm going to weld up to make the swap faster. Still need the PS pump cradle (cheap) and the water pump housing (EXPENSIVE) to have a complete set for a lightnin' quick swap.

    25. Member G60ING's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2000
      Location
      Annapolis Area MD
      Posts
      15,644
      Cars
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      01-15-2018 03:01 PM #124
      I found replacing copper plugs for my G60 was the ticket to good running with no misses.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    26. Member TheDeckMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      18,826
      Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      01-15-2018 03:03 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by theprf View Post
      Aren't Corrados supposed to be a continuous work in progress ?

      For the 6TT I've got a spare oil cooler mount plate & a spare coolant elbow that I'm going to weld up to make the swap faster. Still need the PS pump cradle (cheap) and the water pump housing (EXPENSIVE) to have a complete set for a lightnin' quick swap.
      That should make it a weekend job or close too it!
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

    Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •