Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
      Cars
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      10-21-2019 12:44 PM #476
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Yeah he passed away this summer, his son and the entourage tend to bring up a good group of cars to each event.
      Last weekend was the Murcielago, couple new 911's, the F430 Manual and the 360.
      Ah that's a shame. Glad the kids are carrying on the tradition though. Wonder what will become of the family compound.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      10-21-2019 02:37 PM #477
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      That coolant issue is a huge PITA. It’s little things like that which drive me crazy. Head gaskets disabling a vehicle? Absolutely plausible. Some coolant fittings seemingly giving up ghost because....

Well it doesn’t matter why.

Yeah it sucks, these fittings should have been pressed in with a slight knurl and loctite and they never would have had the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Ah that's a shame. Glad the kids are carrying on the tradition though. Wonder what will become of the family compound.
      Think Mik is keeping the collection and things going along, not a bad gig to watch over the collection
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Cars
      10-21-2019 02:54 PM #478
      Think Mik is keeping the collection and things going along, not a bad gig to watch over the collection
      Haha, yeah not bad at all. I was able to visit the compound once but didn't get to go in the car collection building. The spa building was pretty damn impressive though. Must be something to have signs on your property guiding people where to go.

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-05-2019 01:54 PM #479
      After some debating, ended up going with pinning the coolant fittings on the GT3 to get some more use out of it this year allowing Mark to save up some more funds for when the motor drop happens to do some other upgrades.

Over all this is not a bad task to take on only requiring some new tools to make it a lot easier. The 90 deg drill end and short hex drive drill bit and tap set makes for working in tight spaces a lot easier. There are a total of 6 fittings that need to be pinned. A combination of short/long drills/taps and selection of tap handles from Starrett gets you the access needed. A vacuum to suck the chips and some Loctite 2620 for the screws.

Things to remove: Airbox, throttle body, power steering pump/pulley, oil filter housing support bracket

Under the power steering pump

4 out of the 6 done so far taking time, should have the last two done tonight hopefully to put it back together tomorrow evening so it can head home. Overall it just takes time to carefully drill and tap after pulling lots of stuff out of the way to gain easy access.
      -Noah

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-05-2019 02:23 PM #480
      It's a good thing you're a patient man.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-05-2019 05:00 PM #481
      It's a good thing you're a patient man.
      We all have our moments when it runs out....throwing a wrench often makes you more pissed off than whatever you were pissed off from beginning with. When it bounces and results in a new windshield there are special type of curse words for those moments. Patience and the three strike rule help with even the most difficult tasks.
      -Noah

Cars
      11-05-2019 06:09 PM #482
      We all have our moments when it runs out....throwing a wrench often makes you more pissed off than whatever you were pissed off from beginning with. When it bounces and results in a new windshield there are special type of curse words for those moments.
      Are we brothers?

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      11-06-2019 09:26 AM #483
      Patience and the three strike rule help with even the most difficult tasks.
      Three strike rule?

10. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      11-06-2019 10:35 AM #484
      After some debating, ended up going with pinning the coolant fittings on the GT3...

4 out of the 6 done so far taking time, should have the last two done tonight hopefully to put it back together tomorrow evening so it can head home. Overall it just takes time to carefully drill and tap after pulling lots of stuff out of the way to gain easy access.
      This is extremely helpful! I’ve often wondered how much of a DIY job this would be to pin those offending fittings. You’ve made it abundantly clear and accessible! And now I know: If I had to do it, I’d end up paying somebody ;-)

The place is looking great and I love the varying 911 mix of your crew!

Cars
      '12 CC 6mt , ‘07 997tt, ‘16 Yukon, '16 XC90
      11-06-2019 11:37 AM #485
      Nice to see someone doing them...I've debated doing them on mine too, although I am not going to track my 997TT anymore... it's too nice and clean to kill it at the track.

X...

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-06-2019 12:46 PM #486
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Three strike rule?

Three things go wrong and call it a night and move onto something entirely different like trim painting or mowing the yard

Normally use this when tackling tough jobs like broken hardware or a complex fix that requires some blue sky engineering. If the first (2) attempts dont go well, leave yourself a way out or try a 3rd. If that fails then call it for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      This is extremely helpful! I’ve often wondered how much of a DIY job this would be to pin those offending fittings. You’ve made it abundantly clear and accessible! And now I know: If I had to do it, I’d end up paying somebody ;-)

The place is looking great and I love the varying 911 mix of your crew!
      Thanks! Yeah we have a good little local crew that hangs around the garage tackling mostly smaller DIY projects, this is better left to me alone at night tackling without distractions.

Dave I'll take a picture of all the tools currently using to do the job tonight, it can be done pretty easy without ever needing to jack the car up on a lift. Granted having it a little higher up helps with seeing and keeping the back from being pissed off.

The real PITA items are the two 90° fittings under the oil cooler, which I am sure I could get at by lowering the motor and pulling the entire intake manifold off. The good news is those don't fail like these do as they are o-ringed and bolted into place. The plan is to replace those perhaps next winter when I have more time to help Mark drop the motor and do a clutch on it at the same time, at that point I will machine up some new fittings and weld them all in once and for all.

On a difficulty level this is not something I would suggest for someone who is not skilled with drilling and threading thin aluminum. Being a life long machinist this is sort of fun relaxing work compared to the normal work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderips View Post
      Nice to see someone doing them...I've debated doing them on mine too, although I am not going to track my 997TT anymore... it's too nice and clean to kill it at the track.

X...

Well if you need any tips I am happy to offer assistance, the turbo's you can only get to some of the fittings in the car so the motor really does need to come out, then that results in the "while you are in there" line. The cam sleeve is more of a ticking time bomb as that results in $$ at a shop to do.

I am planning once the house section is livable once again to take a break from renovations in February to April and focus on pulling both motors on the 6tt first and then the 7tt for coolant fittings. The 996 will be a little more straight forward other than tackling some transmission work on that as well as getting all the new body parts on it. I dont look forward to doing the drop on the 997 as it so far seems to be more of a PITA to work on, however I want it done from a reliability standpoint so new clutch, weld fittings, water pump, IC's, inlets, pin cams, overhaul chain tensioners will likely be what it ends up getting. What I am debating on the 997 is going to the GT2 slave like the 996tt, most likely will and just work out the left leg a little more. I'll be posting up both of those projects as they get tackled in the near future since it looks like winter is inbound.
      -Noah

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-07-2019 09:30 AM #487
      Here are all the tools needed to do the pinning job, dont mind the fancy dremel as a regular one will work fine but if you have a fancy one you use for work, that will work too.

Drills and taps

Basic process goes like this:

Step 1 if on a non-flat casting area, spot face to create a flat.

Use center punch to create pilot for drill

Drill hole for tap size

Tap threads

Loctite into place

Next up was an oil change, in process noticed the oring on the filter housing that keeps oil into the filter when the car is shut off was damaged or had been reused by the past person changing the oil. These $9 o-rings many Porsche specialty shops even skip replacing. I always replace these every time as it prevents chain rattle on startup on the Mezger motors.

This morning prior to heading into work checked the coolant system and filled with coolant, should be good for final assembly tonight.
      -Noah

14. Member
      Cars
      '98 Silverado, '14 Jetta 1.8t 5M
      11-07-2019 10:21 AM #488
      Loctite into place
      Long time listener, first time poster to the thread Lots of cool work going on in here. Just curious, what is the reason behind pinning the motor? What does it achieve?

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-07-2019 11:07 AM #489
      Quote Originally Posted by isonic View Post
      Long time listener, first time poster to the thread Lots of cool work going on in here. Just curious, what is the reason behind pinning the motor? What does it achieve?
      The fittings are glued in, due to heat, vibrations, expansion, contraction and pressure the glue no longer holds the fittings into place. So by pinning the glue only has to prevent coolant from getting out as the screw takes the load of the push pull of the hoses ect. I have yet to hear of a pinned car failing so far, welding or machining them to take a threaded in fitting is the best but both of those have their own challenges.
      -Noah

16. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-07-2019 03:44 PM #490
      Thanks for the detail man, this is good stuff.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      '12 CC 6mt , ‘07 997tt, ‘16 Yukon, '16 XC90
      11-07-2019 08:46 PM #491

I am planning once the house section is livable once again to take a break from renovations in February to April and focus on pulling both motors on the 6tt first and then the 7tt for coolant fittings. The 996 will be a little more straight forward other than tackling some transmission work on that as well as getting all the new body parts on it. I dont look forward to doing the drop on the 997 as it so far seems to be more of a PITA to work on, however I want it done from a reliability standpoint so new clutch, weld fittings, water pump, IC's, inlets, pin cams, overhaul chain tensioners will likely be what it ends up getting. What I am debating on the 997 is going to the GT2 slave like the 996tt, most likely will and just work out the left leg a little more. I'll be posting up both of those projects as they get tackled in the near future since it looks like winter is inbound.
      I did the clutch on mine with the engine in, the only PITA was the clutch fork pin, which is probably cake with it out. I also did the injectors, which I lowered the engine about 6” to do and it wasn’t awful. I did the accumulator at a later date which made my clutch feel much better. I’ve driven a 997tt with the GT2 slave a bunch and didn’t like it at all. It is way too stiff (at least with the upgraded “stage 2” clutch).

X.....

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-08-2019 10:34 AM #492
      Quote Originally Posted by Xanderips View Post
      I did the clutch on mine with the engine in, the only PITA was the clutch fork pin, which is probably cake with it out. I also did the injectors, which I lowered the engine about 6” to do and it wasn’t awful. I did the accumulator at a later date which made my clutch feel much better. I’ve driven a 997tt with the GT2 slave a bunch and didn’t like it at all. It is way too stiff (at least with the upgraded “stage 2” clutch).

X.....
      Yeah a new accumulator goes a long way, did a new on on the 6tt and it was night and day, the 7tt needs one. If you have done the clutch in the car and injectors then you can get as least most of the fittings done. Let me know if you need help or tips on some tools.

Assembly last night went pretty well starting at 6 and finishing at 8pm, over all total time is about 8 hours said and done spread over a week and a half.

Hooked the battery up and click* click* click*... so that was that for the evening tossing it back onto the charger and called it an evening with having to check things over early in the morning. Got up early this morning to check her over and shuffle cars to take it for a shake down run to work.

Overall forgot how much fun the car is, sharp but not too powerful to get away from you like a GT2 with explosive power, you can just drive along with some steering and throttle inputs swinging the car back and forth. Fun and quick, not Saturn V Rocket style like the 6tt/7tt are which will punch holes in space and time, but still not a slouch.

Going to put a hundred miles on it today and make sure all good then off it goes. Nice to finally be able to fully focus on the house for the next couple months. So expect less car stuff and more house stuff for the time being.
      -Noah

19. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 10:48 AM #493
      The shake down run after some engine work is one of the most enjoyable times I have with my vehicles. More-so when it all holds together and stays dry afterwards. Thanks again for posting.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-08-2019 12:39 PM #494
      The shake down run after some engine work is one of the most enjoyable times I have with my vehicles. More-so when it all holds together and stays dry afterwards. Thanks again for posting.
      Always leave uphill...that way you can coast home
      -Noah

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      11-08-2019 01:13 PM #495
      Always leave uphill...that way you can coast home
      Thanks for the detail on the pinning process, I always wondered what that was about.

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-08-2019 04:21 PM #496
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      Thanks for the detail on the pinning process, I always wondered what that was about.
      Happy to share
      -Noah

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920