VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What mileage is on your 1.8t?

37K views 68 replies 43 participants last post by  16jettasport 
#1 ·
So the 1.8 tsi has been out for about 4 years now and seems to be pretty reliable. I just bought a 2016 Passat SE with 12k miles and do 15k miles each year on my commute alone. Oil and filter will be changed every 5k miles so I'm hoping to get close to 200k miles out of this car. It's a PZEV model and I live in NJ so a large number of parts have the 15 year 150k mile warranty which was a big selling point for me.

What mileage do you have on your 1.8t and what maintenance/repairs has it needed?

#38 ·
0W20 oil, what do you think it is a Prius? Take it above 4-5K once and a while, feed her some dinner.

Also kudos on 35K in 3-4 years that some low miles. 36K on our '17 Alltrack.

#41 ·
my 16 golf has just shy of 42k miles. other than early shifter replacement and then again a switch in the shifter for a recall for the same issue and the sunroof recall zero issues. about 10k on APR's tune.

my wife's 15 Passat has only had recall work done on it and zero issue.

both vehicles just get their regular maintenance.

#42 ·
My 18 Alltrack with the DSG has just over 5K miles since we bought it last August. Needless to say we don't drive much, both retired now. Our longest commute for work was only 12mi/day. The only repair we had was a leaking oil filter, otherwise we're golden.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#45 ·
195K miles now. Just put my second set of spark plugs in at 190K because of a limp mode and spark knock issue I was having in hot weather. Still going into limp mode (EPC light) and getting codes (OBDeleven) for knock threshold reached on multiple cylinders (usually #3 or #4). Only happens in very hot and humid weather, at low rpm, while inching in bad traffic. Happens much less often if I run 93 octane. Only major issue I've had with my 1.8 in the almost 200K miles I've had it !

#50 ·
Mileage

I'm at about 210K miles now on my 2014 Jetta SE 1.8T

Oil changes regularly between 5K and 8K miles.
Spark plugs changed twice.

Only issue that has developed is a Turbo Underboost code, which only presents itself when its cold outside (below 35*F) Warmer than that and it boosts normally with no problem. Monitoring the live data from OBDeleven, the requested boost is only few PSI off from the requested boost, and builds slowly. Only in cold weather though. When it's warmer out, it builds boost and holds it at the requested level no problem. This issue only started this winter, when the car reached 200K miles. It's probably the wastegate flapper wearing out on the turbo. I'll continue to run it as is until it gets worse though.

#51 ·
I'm at about 210K miles now on my 2014 Jetta SE 1.8T

Oil changes regularly between 5K and 8K miles.
Spark plugs changed twice.

Only issue that has developed is a Turbo Underboost code, which only presents itself when its cold outside (below 35*F) Warmer than that and it boosts normally with no problem. Monitoring the live data from OBDeleven, the requested boost is only few PSI off from the requested boost, and builds slowly. Only in cold weather though. When it's warmer out, it builds boost and holds it at the requested level no problem. This issue only started this winter, when the car reached 200K miles. It's probably the wastegate flapper wearing out on the turbo. I'll continue to run it as is until it gets worse though.
How is your suspension holding up? I'm at 90k and have cupping on my tires. Some say it's due to worn struts/shocks.

#54 ·
I'm at 165000km right now on my 2015 ( bought new in March 2016) Highline 1.8 5spd. Neuspeed module, H&R springs since new. I added other mods since.

I had to change a front bearing at 159000km before making a Québec - Florida - Québec road trip with the wife and kids. Other than that, perfect.

#56 ·

Hi guys first post: :wave:

I just hit 60k and found some oil on the #1 plug. Should I be concerned? I replaced all 4 and she runs fine.

Also I never used any additives in my gasoline until now I use Techron. Will this help with the carbon buildup related to the direct injection system?

Nice to hear all these good mileage numbers with minimal issues. Love the 1.8 can't imagine a 1.4 in my car. I'm looking at neuspeed in line ECU override if anyone has opinions would love to hear..

Thanks

#59 ·
2016 Jetta sport 1.8T 5spd, 91k miles, driver side transmission output seal needs replaced. Waiting on the part to show up, suspension feels a bit worn, otherwise holding up well.

Has anyone had any timing chain issues yet?

#61 ·
2015 Passat now at 97k and sitting in the driveway. I have had two injectors go out, A/C compressor and a myriad of other issues. I think I have had to dump in about 3500 in repairs total. I am waiting on the other two injectors to go as I am sure they will, but my car is "broke" regardless and I can't drive it atm AND I have no idea whats wrong with it.

So... I am driving my 2007 Jetta in the mean time... :eek:

#64 ·
No Engine Faults Yet!

2015 Passat Limited. August 2015 purchase with 105,000 miles as of 04oct20.
Using recommended top tier fuels (87 octane for summer economy & 93 octane for more spirited winter driving). I achieve higher MPG's with the more expensive 93 octane.
Castrol Edge synthetic & wix filter every 6000 miles. 97 % highway driving @ 65 to 75 mph.
No engine fault light or codes as of yet. Still on original VW battery.

#67 ·
2016 Jetta sport 1.8t 5spd. 118k miles owned since new and until Saturday its been my wife’s commuter car, bought her a new ride and now I’m taking this car over.
We shall see how long it lasts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.