VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What mileage is on your 1.8t?

37K views 68 replies 43 participants last post by  16jettasport 
#1 ·
So the 1.8 tsi has been out for about 4 years now and seems to be pretty reliable. I just bought a 2016 Passat SE with 12k miles and do 15k miles each year on my commute alone. Oil and filter will be changed every 5k miles so I'm hoping to get close to 200k miles out of this car. It's a PZEV model and I live in NJ so a large number of parts have the 15 year 150k mile warranty which was a big selling point for me.

What mileage do you have on your 1.8t and what maintenance/repairs has it needed?

#5 · (Edited)
So the 1.8 tsi has been out for about 4 years now and seems to be pretty reliable. I just bought a 2016 Passat SE with 12k miles and do 15k miles each year on my commute alone. Oil and filter will be changed every 5k miles so I'm hoping to get close to 200k miles out of this car. It's a PZEV model and I live in NJ so a large number of parts have the 15 year 150k mile warranty which was a big selling point for me.

What mileage do you have on your 1.8t and what maintenance/repairs has it needed?
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL32586.pdf
If your state is a Mandatory PZEV state, then those warranties apply. If you bought a PZEV
in a state that does not require PZEV, then you don't qualify.

I am at 104,300 miles, all highway.

#13 ·
Have any of you with higher mileage had to have valves cleaned or anything? Just wondering how these newer DI engines are doing with the common carbon build up issues. So far 38k on my 2016 jetta sport 1.8T and its been a great car.

#14 ·
I have a hair over 80k, zero issues with mine, rear main seal did leak early in its life but that was because it was over filled with oil at the factory. It went away after i did my oil change and put in less oil, hasn't returned since. Besides a set of tires and oil and filter changes it required nothing. Sometimes i get a EPC light come on, but it goes away after a restart or reset via OBD tool. It turns out the MAP sensor gets a little dirty with oil residue and causes a erratic readings in boost, i cleaned the sensor with MAF cleaner and problem hasn't surfaced again.

#15 ·
Mileage

Bought it in January 2018, about 12,200 miles, a little bit high for only 8 months, but now that I see it, I only have about 4 months to go, and I don't think I will hit 20,000 miles, which I usually do. I don't even think I will hit 5,000 miles in three months for the change of oil, this time. I am on vacation, not driving the usual 80 miles, at least, per day. Maybe I will have another 5000 miles to go for the anniversary. That will put it around 17000 miles, which is fine. I see it as closer to the 15000 per year...

#16 ·
bought new 2017 Golf Sportwagen on Oct 31 2016. Have over 57,XXX miles on it. Had problems with sun roof leak and replaced under warranty last year. Just noticed having the leaking sun roof again. Also just had an issue with "Wastegate actuator stuck" over the weekend. Waiting to see what, if anything they will do with it.

#36 ·
At 64k miles now, did an inspection, changed air filter, cabin filter spark plugs, oil and tire rotation at 60k miles. Wife is still averaging 36mpg+ with her commute (75% highway) car is still solid. Might be almost time to replace shocks/struts, feels slightly floaty, then again I am used to driving a Short wheel base 4wd pickup or c4 corvette, so compared to those most things will feel that way :laugh:

#22 ·
I have 50k on a tuned 1.8t jetta sport. Nothing but maintenance items. I have been tuned for 20k miles. So far so good (although I dont beat on the car really). I just changed plugs. They were pretty bad. The owners manual calls to do them at 60k, but I'm not surprised the tune ate through them a bit quicker. I will probably do every 20k from here on out. If you're not tuned, 60k is fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#23 ·
98,600 on my 2014 Passat SE with roof. No issues with the engine. Had the rear main recall done. This car has been rock solid, and has had the least issues of the other 6 V.W.'s I've owned, including my German built 2011 GTI. I use BG products each oil change. BG EPR in oil for 20 minutes at 1200 RPM just to dissolve some of accumulated deposits, then add BG MOA after the oil change. At 1/2 tank of fuel BG 44K to clean injectors. Original wiper blades, but its time to change them.

Changed brake fluid twice, cabin and engine air filters changed twice, trans service with filter, gasket done at 52,000 and will be done again soon. Knock on wood, so far, so good. Original plugs and coils.

#24 ·
179K on mine right now. Almost at 180K. No major issues.

- Oil and filter changes every 5-8K miles. I've used Castrol 5w40 and 0w40, Rotella T6 a few times (*NOT VW 502.00, but the car likes it in the summer months), and LiquiMoly 5w40 (use this in the summer now instead of Rotella), and I always use VW oil filters from the dealer.

- Water pump was replaced at like 30K under warranty, just had to replace the battery a few months ago. Did my spark plugs at 100K, will be doing those again once warmer weather comes around. Plan to do the fuel filter soon as well.

-Still have the FACTORY front brake pads on the car (I know the question was about the engine, but still).

........Long story short, these engines are solid if you keep the oil and filter changed (well mine is anyway). I beat the living daylights out of my engine on a daily basis (frequent full throttle acceleration, several redlines per day, engine braking on hills), and it has held up great. No complaints. It's hard to say if the engine has had any significant drop in power from wear and tear, since I drive it daily. I'd have to get behind the wheel of a lower mileage car to say, but to me if feels just as snappy as the day I got it.

#31 ·
I was thinking the same thing. The manual calls for a 50k mile service on the automatics. It's true that the fluid is replaced via a simple drain and fill, but there's a filter that can be replaced also. I just ticked over 100k and have serviced the transmission twice. Local shop only charges me $100 for labor and I just supply the fluid, filter and gasket myself.

#32 ·
The 09G aisin autos are using same “lifetime WS” fluid as most modern Toyota’s which are group 3 synthetics. You can buy these WS pretty cheap at Toyota dealers if you don’t feel like paying VW prices. Full list price on this is $9.97 if any of you local SoCal guys want some I could hook you up on some at the dealer I work at.

#35 ·
2014 Jetta 5 speed over here. Bought her a year ago with 70k km (45k miles) and now at 110k km (70k miles). Not a single problem with it fingers crossed!

#37 · (Edited)
2015 2 door Launch Edition 1.8TSI manufactured in April 2015, purchased Sept. 11 2015 with 6 miles on it. As of today almost 35K miles without single problem.
After first free oil change at dealer now on WM Super-Tech 0W20 SN Plus with 1/4 cup of Hyper-Lube with WIX WL10024 oil filter. Extended Period varies between 47.3 and 48.1 MPG on Maverik 87 clear gas. Few mods, VWR springs, dogbone, Afe dry air filter and wiper delete for $1.54 from hardware store. Never took it past 3000 RPM yet. Great car and hope it serves me well for many years to come. Nice to hear from you people and your great experiences. Gives me faith that I made the right decision even tho some people told me when I bought it that I made a mistake due to VW poor reliability and high maintenance cost. Got the feeling that I'll prove them wrong.

#39 ·
2015 2 door Launch Edition 1.8TSI manufactured in April 2015, purchased Sept. 11 2015 with 6 miles on it. As of today almost 35K miles without single problem.
After first free oil change at dealer now on WM Super-Tech 0W20 SN Plus with 1/4 cup of Hyper-Lube with WIX WL10024 oil filter. Extended Period varies between 47.3 and 48.1 MPG on Maverik 87 clear gas. Few mods, VWR springs, dogbone, Afe dry air filter and wiper delete for $1.54 from hardware store. Never took it past 3000 RPM yet. Great car and hope it serves me well for many years to come. Nice to hear from you people and your great experiences. Gives me faith that I made the right decision even tho some people told me when I bought it that I made a mistake due to VW poor reliability and high maintenance cost. Got the feeling that I'll prove them wrong.

The engine has never seen more than 3,000 RPM? :what:

#38 ·
0W20 oil, what do you think it is a Prius? Take it above 4-5K once and a while, feed her some dinner.

Also kudos on 35K in 3-4 years that some low miles. 36K on our '17 Alltrack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.