Fourtitude.com - 02Q and SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Hard to shift 1st and 2nd sometimes
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-08-2017 12:45 AM #1
      I'll start with the issues. (From what I remember, the first two started after I replaced the clutch and flywheel.)

1. Every so often the vehicle is hard to get in or out of first/second gear.
      2. Once in a while the clutch grabs closer to the floor than normal.
      3. The shifter is a little sloppy. It has more wobble than, for example, my 2009 Rabbit.

I worked as a tech for almost 7 years, but I never really messed around with transmissions much. Replacing them, sure. Taking them apart, maybe twice. I'm going to include as much detail as I can think of. Forgive me if my technical terms are not correct.

I have an '07 GTI which has the 02Q six-speed manual. When my engine puked at 158K, I put in a low mileage engine. I replaced the clutch and flywheel with a SPEC Stage 2+ clutch and aluminum flywheel kit because it was all open anyways. I noticed when the transmission was out that the nut that holds the shifter mechanism to the selector shaft? what slightly loose, so I tightened it. I thought that was my sloppy shifter issue, but nothing changed. The SPEC Clutch comes with a new slave cylinder and also used a shim. I don't remember ever adjusting the cables, but I didn't move anything. It wouldn't solve all my issues anyways, but could be a start. I know the shift forks are a known weak spot, but they're definitely not broken. lol Could the 1-2 fork be slightly bent? I read something about selector shaft fingers... What's that about? What else goes wrong with these trannies?

If someone has experience with the 02Q, input is appreciated.
      07 United Gray GTI: EuroDyne Stage 2, SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch and Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel, K&N Intake, USP Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, CTS Direct Fit FMIC, Cast13 RB2s, etc.
      09 Reflex Silver Rabbit: Malone Custom Stage 2, IE SRI Manifold & Intake, USP Downpipe, Techtonics Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, APR Swaybars, Rotiform DIAs, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2006 A3(Arctic White); 2011 A3(Brilliant Black); 2000 S4 (Nogaro)
      10-08-2017 01:16 AM #2
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=6089802

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-08-2017 01:37 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GvFx View Post
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=6089802

I actually read through that earlier... What are you trying to say?
      07 United Gray GTI: EuroDyne Stage 2, SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch and Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel, K&N Intake, USP Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, CTS Direct Fit FMIC, Cast13 RB2s, etc.
      09 Reflex Silver Rabbit: Malone Custom Stage 2, IE SRI Manifold & Intake, USP Downpipe, Techtonics Exhaust, Neuspeed Sport Springs, APR Swaybars, Rotiform DIAs, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      10-08-2017 02:25 AM #4
      The shim kit replacement should solve it if ur trans has the black circle on the side, i had same issue

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-08-2017 09:41 PM #5
      The shim kit replacement should solve it if ur trans has the black circle on the side, i had same issue

Okay, I'm just a little confused. Does this work on 02Ms and 02Qs? Is this shim originally in the 02Q, and I'm adding another one, or am I installing one period?. The guy that wrote that thread was installing them on 02M trannies. Could I get a little more detail? Thanks.

8. Member
      Cars
      10-08-2017 10:05 PM #6
      Well, i have an 02q i said **** it after trying to bleed the clutch. I did the shim kit and it cleared up for me, i was having 1st 2nd and reverse problems

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-08-2017 10:48 PM #7
      Well, i have an 02q i said **** it after trying to bleed the clutch. I did the shim kit and it cleared up for me, i was having 1st 2nd and reverse problems

Thank you for the quick replies! So is the black cap needed or is it just in case it gets damaged? That's exactly what I'm experiencing. I didn't realize the reverse thing until this morning.

10. Member
      Cars
      10-08-2017 10:58 PM #8
      It had to be replaced it gets damaged when removing. There is a Youtube video on it if you want the link

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-08-2017 11:15 PM #9
      It had to be replaced it gets damaged when removing. There is a Youtube video on it if you want the link

Yep, watched it twice... Just making sure. I'll install the shim and report back. Thank you good sir.

12. Member
      Cars
      10-09-2017 12:02 AM #10
      No problem bruuu its the only reason i browse the transmission forum

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-13-2017 04:02 PM #11
      Okay, so I pulled the cap off and tried to see if there was any play. There was, but not much at all. I decided to see if I could stuff a second washer in there. Since this is an 02Q it already had one in there. I can't stuff another one in there and get the snap ring back on. I don't think that's my issue.

I'm going to look at my shifter cables later. What do you think of the gear shifter? It appears to have a lot of play in any gear. Could that be my issue? Any other ideas?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...m1IOGRZU2NvNTA

14. Member
      Cars
      10-13-2017 04:36 PM #12
      Im not 100% sure, but wouldnt the shifter linkage cause shifting problems even while the vehicle is off? Sorry the shim didnt work, i had minimal play on mine also, it was an 02q on an 06 Audi A3. Ill look around to see if i find anything helpfull

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-13-2017 06:46 PM #13
      Im not 100% sure, but wouldnt the shifter linkage cause shifting problems even while the vehicle is off? Sorry the shim didnt work, i had minimal play on mine also, it was an 02q on an 06 Audi A3. Ill look around to see if i find anything helpfull

Yeah, I took a video of the play because I figured some would be wondering. I had less play to start with, than the guy in the video had after he was done installing the shim. I'll post it when I get a chance.

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-13-2017 07:03 PM #14

17. Member
      Cars
      10-13-2017 07:40 PM #15
      Thats around the same amt of play I had

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-14-2017 10:09 AM #16
      Thats around the same amt of play I had

lol You had to have had more play if you got a washer and the snap ring on there because there was no way both where going in on mine.

So I was messing around later and noticed this. What do you guys think? It would definitely cause shifter slop in my opinion. What's wrong here?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...W5LYVVxeUpmbmM

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      10-23-2017 12:44 PM #17
      Anybody have any idea? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzf...VxeUpmbmM/view I don't think this is normal. What would cause this much play?

Cars
      12 Golf R APR St 2+, 07 GTI APR St 1, 03 VR6 Gti
      02-14-2018 12:52 AM #18

Can I get that YouTube link? I’m probably going to need to do this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Member
      Cars
      02-14-2018 08:29 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
      Can I get that YouTube link? I’m probably going to need to do this as well.

https://youtu.be/E75I24cGxQY

Cars
      02-15-2018 12:46 AM #20
      https://youtu.be/E75I24cGxQY

You rock! Many thanks.

Cars
      05-11-2018 01:08 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by racerpoet View Post
      Yeah, I took a video of the play because I figured some would be wondering. I had less play to start with, than the guy in the video had after he was done installing the shim. I'll post it when I get a chance.
      OP, did your issue get resolved? I’m having similar symptoms on my mk6 Golf R, and when I attempted to shim the input shaft from the plastic cap like in the video, there was no room for it.

Here’s a video of how much play there was. I had dropped the trans to install the NLS TOB shim.

https://youtu.be/HurW8PuMa-o

Cars
      05-11-2018 01:19 PM #22
      lol You had to have had more play if you got a washer and the snap ring on there because there was no way both where going in on mine.

So I was messing around later and noticed this. What do you guys think? It would definitely cause shifter slop in my opinion. What's wrong here?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...W5LYVVxeUpmbmM
      Were the teethe worn on the shift tower stud (no idea if that’s what it’s actually called) or the shifter assembly? I’ve seen Dieselgeeks get worn out teeth and get sloppy like that.

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      05-11-2018 04:19 PM #23
      Yeah, the teeth on my gear shifter (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/02q301230b/) are worn out. I ended up sticking a washer under the nut to tighten it down for now. I have a dieselgeek short shift kit, but I'm not putting it on until my tranny is 100%. The rest of my slop is in my tranny. I still have the issue with it sticking in reverse, first, and second. It's actually getting worse over time. I have almost 170K on it now. I'm probably going to have it taken apart this year or next. I want to get an LSD installed and am going to go all out. New synchros, steal forks, bronze fork sliders, Peloquin, new gear shifter (obviously, that's my issue), etc.

And I'm not surprised you weren't able to get the shim in there. It's meant for the 02Ms that don't have it. I have no freaking idea how that guy got that in his 02Q tranny. Either way, that is definitely not my issue.

Cars
      05-11-2018 05:49 PM #24
      Yeah, the teeth on my gear shifter (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/02q301230b/) are worn out. I ended up sticking a washer under the nut to tighten it down for now. I have a dieselgeek short shift kit, but I'm not putting it on until my tranny is 100%. The rest of my slop is in my tranny. I still have the issue with it sticking in reverse, first, and second. It's actually getting worse over time. I have almost 170K on it now. I'm probably going to have it taken apart this year or next. I want to get an LSD installed and am going to go all out. New synchros, steal forks, bronze fork sliders, Peloquin, new gear shifter (obviously, that's my issue), etc.

And I'm not surprised you weren't able to get the shim in there. It's meant for the 02Ms that don't have it. I have no freaking idea how that guy got that in his 02Q tranny. Either way, that is definitely not my issue.
      Well if yours kept driving through 170k that gives me some confidence that mine isn’t going to shell out and leave me stranded. What model VW is yours?

Cars
      09 Rabbit S, 07 GTI
      05-12-2018 12:01 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
      Well if yours kept driving through 170k that gives me some confidence that mine isn’t going to shell out and leave me stranded. What model VW is yours?
      It's a MKV GTI like listed under my vehicles on my profile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast