Fourtitude.com - I sold a 2009 WRX 6 months ago, now the buyer wants money back. What would you do?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    1. 09-19-2017 02:14 PM #1
      I'm not a dealer, just a car enthusiast. I sold a clean title 2009 WRX out of state 6 months ago. The sale went smooth, I provided photos, I felt like I accurately described the car and didn't hide anything, and the buyer responded after delivery that they were very happy with the car and the condition. They told me it was accurately described. I sold it to a father and a son. They were both very nice. Then this email exchange happened and I need some unbiased opinions. I just want to do the right thing. I will fwd this thread to the buyer after a few responses come in.

Buyer
      Wanted to circle back and let you know that we just found out that the car needs $4,500 is repairs – Clutch and Flywheel, Turbo and Timing Belt and Water Pump.

I’m ok with the Timing Belt and Water Pump as that is normal maintenance, but the other is truly disappointing. Would like to get your thoughts.
      Seller (me)
      Sorry to hear about the troubles. The car had no symptoms of clutch or turbo failure when I sold the car. If they did, I definitely would have mentioned it. The clutch grabbed great in every gear and didn't chatter or anything. It was not the original clutch either so I am surprised it would need replacement this early. The turbo was making target boost just fine, was not making any noises, and the car was not consuming any oil. What are the symptoms now?

If you are not experiencing obvious symptoms, I would consider a second opinion. Also, because turbo upgrades are so common on these cars, a good used turbo can be found for less than $200
      Buyer
      First let me say that the shop is one I’ve used for years and one if not the best in our area for foreign vehicles, so I trust them completely. On the clutch, it began to smell hot and when they got into it determined that the flywheel was below specs. Also they said they've never had this much trouble in separating the transmission, so might attribute that to the salt and winters in MN.

On the turbo, when working on the vehicle they inspected and found it with a lot of play and was too close to the wall and could fail if not addressed. Not comfortable with going used, as failure results in a trashed engine
      4 days go by:
      Buyer
      no other comments
      Seller (me)
      I'm not sure what you are looking for from me. Your mechanic said the turbo was worn but not yet touching the wall of the compressor housing or causing issues but recommended service because it could cause issues soon. Therefore their analysis confirms that there were no symptoms of anything wrong. I never inspected the turbo or reported that it was worn because there were no symptoms to suggest there was an issue. This is the same story with the clutch. It worked perfectly fine. I am disappointed that you had these issues but I don't feel I have done anything morally or ethically wrong. I do think you could save quite a bit of money on turbo and clutch service but it sounds like you are very comfortable with the shop you are using so that is worth something. A good used turbo, a new Exedy clutch kit, and resurfaced flywheel should be well under $1000 in parts. I would guess labor would be about $1200 but not totally sure because I try to do all of my own work.*
      Buyer
      Well, I’m asking you to put yourself in my shoes and then consider how you would feel. I understand that when purchasing a used car, there will be issue, but to the tune of $4,700 on a car that has just over 100,000 it seems excessive. The car has been driven extremely hard based on what they have found when then got into it. Buying a used turbo is non-starter because if it fails results are a new engine.

You do what you want, but if it were me, I’d look to offer something to the new owner. When I sell something, it comes with a sense of integrity and fairness

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      09-19-2017 02:26 PM #2
      I would just ignore them.
      You sold them a good and they agreed to a price.
      Deal is done.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      2010 CX-7 Turd-bo
      09-19-2017 02:29 PM #3
      6 months ago? I'd tell 'em to go pound sand.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      I've pulled 1.2g on the toilet so color me unimpressed.
      FEELTHEBERN

Cars
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      09-19-2017 02:29 PM #4
      As is = no reply

Cars
      2018 Civic Type-R
      09-19-2017 02:30 PM #5
      6 months ago as stated...

You've replied twice more than I would.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      09-19-2017 02:31 PM #6
      No reply pound sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cars
      LS & Bags...
      09-19-2017 02:32 PM #7
      i would give the buyer a tt-rs for their troubles.

09-19-2017 02:33 PM #8
      Delete messages + block all contact

10. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      09-19-2017 02:33 PM #9
      Yeah, ignore him.

11. 09-19-2017 02:36 PM #10
      Old joke:

Guy gets a letter in his mailbox (told you it was an old joke): "Sir: I demand you stop seeing my wife at once, or suffer the consequences." Guy replies: "Dear sir: I have received your form letter in the mail... Please take me off your mailing list."

It's not often you get the supreme satisfaction of telling someone, legitimately, to go fvck himself. You, you lucky lucky guy, just got the opportunity to do so.

Do it, and don't look back. The nerve of this guy...

Cars
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      09-19-2017 02:36 PM #11
      I'm amazed that someone would have the gall to ask to be compensated SIX MONTHS after the car was purchased.

Ignore, block, don't respond and all that stuff.
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>>
      between.the.evergreens <---my IG

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      09-19-2017 02:37 PM #12
      IMMEDIATELY cease ALL communication before you legally commit to something, whether intentional or not.

The car was sold as-is with no Warranty expressed or implied (hopefully the Bill of Sale said that). It's their problem now, not yours.

Cars
      135i, A6_3.0, XC40
      09-19-2017 02:38 PM #13
      This is why I always get a signed contract + notary. Who knows what might come back to you weeks, months or years later.

15. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      09-19-2017 02:39 PM #14
      I'd feel bad - but at the end of the day completely agree with everyone else. You didn't sell a 180-day money back guarantee, you sold the car as is
      You have a record about them being happy with sale (in writing), and I'm pretty sure - legally - you're well in the clear to argue that 6 months they could have done anything to it to cause these issues (even if they didn't).

I'd honestly not reply at this point. Definitely do not admit any sort of fault if you continue the correspondence - and some might argue that giving money back would be an admission of fault which could (legally speaking) put you on the hook for more (note: not a lawyer, just educated guess).
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      09-19-2017 02:43 PM #15
      So you sold a 100k mile turbo WRX to a father and son 6 months ago, and they're claiming YOU fried the clutch and turbo?

Does this guy have any idea how much damage a "son" could do to a WRX in the span of a couple of days? Give me a WRX and I'll have it destroyed within 24 hours.

I could see if this guy came back after 6 hours. But 6 months? That's plenty of time to f**k the car up yourself, take it to a mechanic, and then blame the PO for something you did.

People are ridiculous.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      09-19-2017 02:43 PM #16
      where's the response from the buyer that they were happy with the car when they received it according to your description, that would have been the moment to bring up any issues. Not 6 months later... sounds like they beat on it for 6 months... clutches are a wear item too and wear out depending on type of use... that's their problem.

Why are you replying again?
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      mk6 CW GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      09-19-2017 02:44 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      IMMEDIATELY cease ALL communication before you legally commit to something, whether intentional or not.

The car was sold as-is with no Warranty expressed or implied (hopefully the Bill of Sale said that). It's their problem now, not yours.
      ^this. all products are sold "as-is" unless otherwise specifically stated and agreed upon at time of purchase.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Cars
      2005 GTI 1.8T, 2010 CC Sport con Manuel
      09-19-2017 02:46 PM #18
      As said, you have no obligation to do anything. The car was sold as is. That kid could have been thrashing that thing all over, hell they could have even tracked it. It worked when you sold it, your job is done.
      A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned. -Shepherd Book "Firefly"

Cars
      GTI | Sport
      09-19-2017 02:47 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Rav_VW View Post
      This is why I always get a signed contract + notary. Who knows what might come back to you weeks, months or years later.
      ...and also this.

I'm assuming they didn't get a PPI on the car either, so this is 100% on them. And I say this as someone who made all the same mistakes as your buyer (and paid for it). If they wanted a warranty, they should have bought a car that came with one.
      17 gti sport | 16 xc60 t5 | seventwosix

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-19-2017 02:54 PM #20
      "What I would do is offer something" yeah ok buddy.

If you offer anything even $1 "as a gesture" you open yourself up to a lot of liability.

Can't believe this guy bought a turbo sports car for his kid and thinks the po has anything to do with a burnt clutch. Even if you did beat on the car his window for inspection is before money changes hands.

I had a mustang gt and you better believe that clutch had some wear when I was done with it.

22. 09-19-2017 02:58 PM #21
      Thanks for all the responses. You are all echoing my thoughts. I feel bad about what happened, but I don't feel like I am at fault. I'd like to fwd this thread to him but it sounds like I should just cease communication.

Cars
      2018 Alfa Stelvio, 1960 Chevy C10
      09-19-2017 03:01 PM #22
      "I understand that when purchasing a used car, there will be issue, but to the tune of $4,700 on a car that has just over 100,000 it seems excessive."

Not for a Subaru. You should ask how the head gaskets are holding up.

But like the others said, don't respond.

24. Member
      Cars
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      09-19-2017 03:01 PM #23
      Tell them to get ****ed.

Not your problem

Cars
      2015 Honda CRZ, 1991 Honda Civic Si, 1997 BMW M3/4/5
      09-19-2017 03:03 PM #24
      Link the buyer to this thread.
      Global Time Attack: Every second counts.
      Support your local punk & hardcore scene.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

26. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      09-19-2017 03:04 PM #25
      Tell them to go F themselves. The time to complain about "integrity and fairness" was the day after they bought it, not 6 months later.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast