VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Q3 not in Thule fit guide with factory cross bars

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  alhal 
#1 ·
Was wondering if anyone knows why the Q3 with factory crossbars is not listed in the Thule fit guidebook. The Q5 with them is listed there as well as the VW Tiguan with factory crossbars. My local REI salesperson told me that the factory bars on the Q3 are "too weak" to support the Thule cargo box and if I wanted the Thule box (a Focus L) I would need to buy a set of Thule crossbars. I grew up in Nebraska and I can recognize BS. The salesperson didn't have much to say when I showed him that Yakima fit guidebook lists the Q3 with factory crossbars and indicates that any of their boxes with work with the car. I sent an email to Thule about this situation but have not heard back from them yet. I also sent an email about it to Audi customer service and like a good Sgt Schultz they essentially replied
that they "know nothing".

#2 ·
well... this is surprising

Finally got a reply back from Thule about the Q3... all I can say is its surprising...

Thank you for contacting Thule Customer Service.

FYI, REI rep was correct as the factory rails on the Q3 failed our safely tests.

Best Wishes,

Rebecca
Thule Customer Service Team

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.