Fourtitude.com - New Watch: Rolex Polar Explorer or Rolex GMT Master BlackBlue "Batman"?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      08-25-2017 10:37 AM #1
      So I'm thinking about getting a new watch, and I kind of want it to be one of these two. The wife would prefer it to be a brand-new watch from an AD for the warranty, but I personally wouldn't mind a minty used one. The watch would be for everyday wear to work and whatnot (office job).

I've kind of narrowed what I want down to these two watches. A Rolex Explorer II Polar or a Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"

Polar Explorer II: I like the white face and the very tool-ish nature of the watch. Bushed everywhere. I like the brushed bezel as well.

GMT Master II: I like the heritage of the watch, the black/blue is really cool and different, though I also like the Coke and Pepsi looks as well. The black/blue is low-key enough where it doesn't stand out as much as the Pepsi/Coke versions. I don't care for the polish center links as much. I wish they were brushed like the Explorer's.

As new, the Batman and Polar are about $900 apart, so that's not a huge consideration. Used, though, the Batman is holding its value a lot more. It'd make more sense to buy the Batman and hold onto it and get a cheaper, used Explorer if I want one in the future. Most people would say that the Batman is very cool and is the obvious choice, but I really do like the white-faced Explorer II.

I have a small-ish wrist, but I wear a 42mm watch now as it is.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      08-25-2017 08:25 PM #2
      Batman all the way, my coworker has one and it is awesome on the wrist.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      08-25-2017 10:42 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      As new, the Batman and Polar are about $900 apart, so that's not a huge consideration.
      Really? A quick Google search shows them about $5k apart.

Personally, I prefer the black and blue one.
      iain

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      08-26-2017 09:21 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Really? A quick Google search shows them about $5k apart.

Personally, I prefer the black and blue one.
      As new, the Black Blue is ~$8,950 and the white one is $8,100. Be careful with comparing used prices (that's what I assumed you were doing). There's a slightly older version of the white watch that is smaller in diameter (hard to tell in pics) and it has a red second time zone hand compared to the larger diameter and orange second time zone hand of the newest version. The older one with the red hand can be had for a lot cheaper on the used market than the newer one.

As far as used prices on the black/blue one, I'm not seeing very significant discounts on the used market. What are you seeing?

Here's the older Explorer with the red hand (for comparison).

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-14-2017 12:20 PM #5
      If you are still figuring this out, I would make sure you try both on and see how they look on your wrist. Initially I was interested in the Milgauss, but after trying one on it sat really weird on my wrist--too tall for my likes. I ended up with a polar because it just felt right on my wrist. I also liked it because it doesn't immediately look like a rolex, but it still has a solid tool watch look. The BLNR is definitely a stunning watch and frankly you can't go wrong with this one either. To me, it looks too much like a Sub, which wasn't personally what I was going for.

In end, try them both on and see if one speaks louder to you than the other.

09-19-2017 09:32 AM #6
      I tried the BLNR before I picked up my SD43 and I found it a bit on the small side for me (7.5" wrist), the Explorer II felt nice if just a little bland IMO.
      His - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB | 17 Shelby GT350 | 87 Buick Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE
      Hers - 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-22-2017 04:42 PM #7
      I haven't made my decision yet (still saving up the funds for the purchase), but I'm 99% sure I'm going to go BLNR. I still love the presence the Explorer has, but I think the BLNR looks better on my wrist. Maybe I can get a red-hand Polar Explorer, which is a little smaller.

I have some pics of both watches on my wrist; I'll have to post them up.

Cars
      9.5 Brannock
      09-26-2017 01:04 AM #8
      I'm in the market for a 16570 and simply don't like the newer Explorer II (too large for my wrist and I prefer the longer, red GMT hand). Of these I'd choose the Explorer, partly because I strongly dislike PCL's but also because the colorway is more versatile.

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      10-06-2017 09:14 AM #9
      I bought this last night.

I was at my local jewelry store for their used watch and estate sale. I found this. It's in excellent condition with a only couple of small, almost imperceptible scratches on the PCLs. It comes with the box and instructions and whatnot. It also comes with a warranty. And a 30-day return policy.

The store was asking $8850 for it, which seemed a bit outrageous considering the new price. I was able to get them down to $8200 for it, which seems like a pretty good deal compared to what I find on sites like Chrono24 and SwissWatchExpo.

I'm pretty happy with it. I think it looks great. I still can't believe I spent this much on a watch (my Speedmaster Pro was a lot less), but I really do like it.
      Last edited by Smigelski; 10-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-06-2017 10:22 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      I bought this last night.

I can't see the pic, but I'm guessing BLNR given the price? In any event, congrats, either way you went in this decision you picked the right watch.

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      10-06-2017 10:27 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I can't see the pic, but I'm guessing BLNR given the price? In any event, congrats, either way you went in this decision you picked the right watch.
      I updated the photo link; hopefully it works now. But, yes, a BLNR. Thanks!

14. Member
      Cars
      Econobox
      11-12-2017 12:16 AM #12
      I think you'll be much happier with the Batman. It will hold its value long term much more than the Explorer II.

Cars
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      09-16-2019 04:55 PM #13
      Ridiculous how the pricing has went up on a stainless steel watch.
      Great looking choice!

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-17-2019 08:29 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Sizzla View Post
      Ridiculous how the pricing has went up on a stainless steel watch.
      Great looking choice!
      You're not kidding. I was in Tourneau NYC a couple weekends ago and they had a used BLNR sitting there. I asked how much they wanted for it and the salesman said "Eighteen grand." Holy crap. That's way too much.

Incidentally I had a dream last night that some salesman that was holding my Batman for me pawned it while I wasn't paying attention. He had no idea how much the watch was worth and thought it was a fake. We spent the rest of that dream trying to track it down. I'm wearing it today for safe keeping.