Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardtail advice

1. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      10-14-2019 09:11 AM #51
      I was joking before about needing wider rims, but maybe that IS your problem with the 2.6” tires. The main advantage of 2.6s is the lower pressure you can run on them without bottoming, but if you’re on skinny rims, you’re going to have sidewall flop unless you boost the pressure. When you boost the pressure though, you’re losing the smoother ride and better traction.

I also wonder if the tires are creating a weird contact patch by being pinched.

So basically, wider rims=lower pressure and all of its corresponding benefits with less flop. Eh?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Perpetual QX60 loaner, theoretical lifted G37 wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      10-14-2019 09:50 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      So basically, wider rims=lower pressure and all of its corresponding benefits with less flop. Eh?
      Yeah, very well could be. But I don't care $2newrims to find out. Some of the disadvantages can't really be helped (reduced straight line traction, excessive weight, not as responsive). The reduced rolling resistance claim may be true, especially on rough trail... but like all things, it's a tradeoff. I do like the round profile that the 24mm rims give the tires though, and they are 2.55" wide at somewhere around 18-20psi out back and a couple less up front. That pressure seems to be about what people run in these things as well, at least from what the internet says. The more rounded shape of the sidewall likely gives them less support though, which might be messing with something.

Or, putting 2.6" 890g tires on an XC hardtail and expecting it to still be all XC-like is an unrealistic expectation. They're probably a ton of fun on a downhill, but... well, you used to live here.
      Last edited by Samson; 10-14-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Cars
      Perpetual QX60 loaner, theoretical lifted G37 wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      10-18-2019 09:43 AM #53
      In a move that surprises nobody, putting the 2.3 back on the bike resulted in a much better experience. I'm going to build the Top Fuel back up and try the 2.6s on that, at which point I'll come to the same conclusion. Then I'll sell them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123