Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2008 Audi A3 3.2 VR6
      09-21-2017 01:32 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman312 View Post
      Your's looks way shinier! Do you have some sort of coating on it? Or maybe just edit your photos a specific way? Either way, looks awesome! I like the wheels too.
      Agreed- your paint looks amazing! I guess I am the third Ocean Blue here, but yours looks way more vibrant. I haven't even detailed mine since I bought it 4 1/2 months ago, but if I can get it to pop like that I'll be a happy camper!

A3 blue 3.2
      by mbk1487, on Flickr
      Last edited by A3 Wannabe; 09-21-2017 at 01:38 AM.
      2008 Audi A3 Quattro 3.2 VR6

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      09-21-2017 11:47 PM #27
      Your's looks way shinier! Do you have some sort of coating on it? Or maybe just edit your photos a specific way? Either way, looks awesome! I like the wheels too.
      Quote Originally Posted by A3 Wannabe View Post
      Agreed- your paint looks amazing! I guess I am the third Ocean Blue here, but yours looks way more vibrant. I haven't even detailed mine since I bought it 4 1/2 months ago, but if I can get it to pop like that I'll be a happy camper!

A3 blue 3.2
      by mbk1487, on Flickr
      Thanks! That picture was just taken with an iPhone and nothing was done to it. I try to keep the paint polished once a year (Megs 100/HD Finishing Polish) then top it with Duragloss 105. Ocean blue looks really good when the paint is polished and topped with a good sealant.

Cars
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      09-22-2017 03:29 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Thanks! That picture was just taken with an iPhone and nothing was done to it. I try to keep the paint polished once a year (Megs 100/HD Finishing Polish) then top it with Duragloss 105. Ocean blue looks really good when the paint is polished and topped with a good sealant.

That's for sure !!
      Bronco

ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe | EuroLED tail lights | RS grille

Cars
      2006 Audi A3 - Ocean Blue - 6MT
      01-06-2018 11:28 AM #29
      I've got a few updates from the last month or so!

I desperately needed tires, and I finally got around to it a few weeks ago. Living in Florida means mild weather, so I decided to go for some summer performance tires. After doing a bit of reading, the Hankook VentusV12 Evo2 seemed like a good choice for me, especially given their price. I got a full set of four, (225/45R17) for a bit under $100 a tire.

Compared to my bald Hankook no-seasons, the new tires improved ride-quality tenfold. Everything feels smoother, stickier, sharper, and more silent than before.

My next update is even more fun, and will ensure these new tires won't last nearly as long as I'll need them to...

This past summer, I was gifted a GIAC Stage 1 ECU tune by my boss. Unfortunately we had some technical difficulties and were not able to get the tune to stick at the time, which meant waiting until the next most convenient time to try again, which turned out to be last week.

The first time I drove the car after the flash, first, second, and third gear definitely felt faster (it'll blow the tires off all through second gear...), but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. That changed once I got some room to try the next three gears. Stock, the car feels pretty quick, but fourth, fifth, and sixth gears are nothing to write home about. The tune gives the car the little extra power it needed to really pull in every gear, instead of just mildly accelerating. It's an absolute riot on the highway!

I can't comment about how it compares to the other tunes out there, but the GIAC tune feels completely stock. It's very well behaved and if I had never driven the car before, I would probably think it came like this from the factory, unless someone told me otherwise.

Throttle response is much sharper and more linear. The engine feels more free-revving, and is much easier to modulate than before. Stock, the throttle can feel a bit like an on/off switch, which is a characteristic that is nowhere to be found after the flash.

The top-end of the power band feels much more useful and doesn't fall off like before, either.

I never really felt like the car needed a ton of extra power before, but where it's at right now feels almost perfect for the street to me.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend it, and I'm interested to see how my opinion matures after I spend some more time with it.
      Last edited by Hawkman312; 01-06-2018 at 11:31 AM.
      2006 A3 2.0T - Ocean Blue - 6MT

Cars
      01-07-2018 04:05 PM #30
      I've got a few updates from the last month or so!

I desperately needed tires, and I finally got around to it a few weeks ago. Living in Florida means mild weather, so I decided to go for some summer performance tires. After doing a bit of reading, the Hankook VentusV12 Evo2 seemed like a good choice for me, especially given their price. I got a full set of four, (225/45R17) for a bit under $100 a tire.

Compared to my bald Hankook no-seasons, the new tires improved ride-quality tenfold. Everything feels smoother, stickier, sharper, and more silent than before.

My next update is even more fun, and will ensure these new tires won't last nearly as long as I'll need them to...

This past summer, I was gifted a GIAC Stage 1 ECU tune by my boss. Unfortunately we had some technical difficulties and were not able to get the tune to stick at the time, which meant waiting until the next most convenient time to try again, which turned out to be last week.

The first time I drove the car after the flash, first, second, and third gear definitely felt faster (it'll blow the tires off all through second gear...), but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. That changed once I got some room to try the next three gears. Stock, the car feels pretty quick, but fourth, fifth, and sixth gears are nothing to write home about. The tune gives the car the little extra power it needed to really pull in every gear, instead of just mildly accelerating. It's an absolute riot on the highway!

I can't comment about how it compares to the other tunes out there, but the GIAC tune feels completely stock. It's very well behaved and if I had never driven the car before, I would probably think it came like this from the factory, unless someone told me otherwise.

Throttle response is much sharper and more linear. The engine feels more free-revving, and is much easier to modulate than before. Stock, the throttle can feel a bit like an on/off switch, which is a characteristic that is nowhere to be found after the flash.

The top-end of the power band feels much more useful and doesn't fall off like before, either.

I never really felt like the car needed a ton of extra power before, but where it's at right now feels almost perfect for the street to me.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend it, and I'm interested to see how my opinion matures after I spend some more time with it.

Hey Hawkman312,

sounds like you've made your car noticeably better and definitely more fun !!

New tires are new tires and getting these under $100 sounds pretty good.

When I got my Stage 1 it made a big difference (from 200 to 250 HP and similar for torque). Also, from my research, Stage 2 would have barely half of the gains and I would have to spend additional $$$ for required upgrades so it just may not happen for me.

In the mean time, I am enjoying the setup I have as I'm sure you are as well. Congrats !!!
      Bronco

Cars
      09 A3
      01-07-2018 07:36 PM #31
      I ran the GIAC tune for quite a while and loved it. With an intake and exhaust it was a big improvement over stock. have fun with it!

Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      01-10-2018 07:49 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by PreMier View Post
      I ran the GIAC tune for quite a while and loved it. With an intake and exhaust it was a big improvement over stock. have fun with it!
      I had a Giac tune on my old MK4 and man it was excellent!
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

Cars
      04-05-2018 01:01 AM #33
      Went down to a drag strip with some friends a few weeks ago. This was my first time ever out at a strip in my own car, so I can't say I'm too proud of my driving, and the car is certainly capable of more than I am... but at least I beat a Honda! My best run of the night was a bit better at 15.2 and 94mph. Pretty fun evening for $25!

https://youtu.be/i3dnGSjrST4

Cars
      04-05-2018 05:51 PM #34
      Bronco

Cars
      09 A3
      04-05-2018 06:30 PM #35
      that looks like a lot of fun

Cars
      04-16-2018 11:49 PM #36
      Last week I had my left rear window regulator go out on me about an hour before it started raining. I had to scramble to get home, get the door card apart, and fish the window out so I could tape it up before the weather deteriorated. It has since been replaced and everything is working as intended! Annoyingly, this is the second time this left rear window regulator has broken on me, the last time being only about a year and a bit ago. Both times it shattered immediately after someone shut the door with a bit more force than required. The failure point in the plastic regulator was the same both times. Luckily they aren't very difficult to replace!

Cars
      04-16-2018 11:51 PM #37
      I ordered some cheaper goodies this week out of spite for my window regulator going and my headliner being on its last legs. I'm still debating biting the bullet and saving for a new OEM headliner or settling for a DIY repair with non OEM fabric. The university student budget will give me plenty of time to decide before I pull the trigger, luckily!

Cars
      04-17-2018 02:16 PM #38
      Last week I had my left rear window regulator go out on me about an hour before it started raining. I had to scramble to get home, get the door card apart, and fish the window out so I could tape it up before the weather deteriorated. It has since been replaced and everything is working as intended! Annoyingly, this is the second time this left rear window regulator has broken on me, the last time being only about a year and a bit ago. Both times it shattered immediately after someone shut the door with a bit more force than required. The failure point in the plastic regulator was the same both times. Luckily they aren't very difficult to replace!

Nice work man

Where did you get the parts so quickly and how mucho dollaros ?
      Bronco

Cars
      04-17-2018 03:29 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
      Nice work man

Where did you get the parts so quickly and how mucho dollaros ?
      I have a connection with a local independent shop in my area so I’m able to get a lot of things directly from the Audi parts network within a day or two. The wholesale price for the OEM part was about $130 USD. I usually use ECS Tuning, 034 Motorsport, etc, for a lot of things that aren’t as urgent, and they’ve always had a pretty good selection and service in my experience.

16. 04-17-2018 09:55 PM #40
      Car looks good.

Scanned thru the thread and didn’t see that you’ve completed the window switch swap(s) yet.

Curious as to if you’ve checked the wiring in the door hinge area? I swapped my switches due to intermittent problems, only to find degraded wires inside the rubber boot in the driver’s door. Repairing the wires in the driver’s door fixed all the doors.

Just something to look at.

Brad.

Cars
      04-17-2018 10:04 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by uniqueflh View Post
      Car looks good.

Scanned thru the thread and didn’t see that you’ve completed the window switch swap(s) yet.

Curious as to if you’ve checked the wiring in the door hinge area? I swapped my switches due to intermittent problems, only to find degraded wires inside the rubber boot in the driver’s door. Repairing the wires in the driver’s door fixed all the doors.

Just something to look at.

Brad.
      I actually have some being shipped to me as we speak. My driver's window switch works almost always, but is very finicky. There is a very small location on its range of motion that actually seems to send a signal to the window. That said all of the windows do operate, you just have to have a gentle touch on the switch, which is annoying. If simply replacing the switch doesn't fix it, I'll absolutely have a look at the wiring. Thanks for the tip!

Cars
      04-17-2018 10:08 PM #42

19. 04-19-2018 10:59 AM #43
      I actually have some being shipped to me as we speak. My driver's window switch works almost always, but is very finicky. There is a very small location on its range of motion that actually seems to send a signal to the window. That said all of the windows do operate, you just have to have a gentle touch on the switch, which is annoying. If simply replacing the switch doesn't fix it, I'll absolutely have a look at the wiring. Thanks for the tip!
      Good luck with the switches, it’s a pretty straightforward swap.
      My car showed the same symptoms as you mentioned, so I assumed the driver’s door switch was the culprit. Come to find out, there were three (3) worn wires that I had to mend.

Brad.

20. Member
      Cars
      2008 Audi A3 3.2 VR6
      04-20-2018 12:16 AM #44
      Good luck with the switches, it’s a pretty straightforward swap.
      My car showed the same symptoms as you mentioned, so I assumed the driver’s door switch was the culprit. Come to find out, there were three (3) worn wires that I had to mend.

Brad.
      Same issue here- that wiring loom eats wires! I'd look in there first...almost can guarantee that there is some exposed copper in there. I had 4 or 5 to repair after I bought mine last May. Little snip, twist, solder and heat shrink tubing and good as new...
      2008 Audi A3 Quattro 3.2 VR6

Cars
      04-21-2018 12:26 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by A3 Wannabe View Post
      Same issue here- that wiring loom eats wires! I'd look in there first...almost can guarantee that there is some exposed copper in there. I had 4 or 5 to repair after I bought mine last May. Little snip, twist, solder and heat shrink tubing and good as new...
      Thanks again for the tip, I'll absolutely have to take a look at it. Just to clarify, the section of wire that generally gets worn is the section surrounded by the corrugated rubber hose between the door and body of the car? I just want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly.

I'll report back with my findings!

22. 04-21-2018 12:48 PM #46
      Thanks again for the tip, I'll absolutely have to take a look at it. Just to clarify, the section of wire that generally gets worn is the section surrounded by the corrugated rubber hose between the door and body of the car? I just want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly.

I'll report back with my findings!
      Yes.

Pull the rubber loom from the body side, and you can push it towards the door and inspect the wires within.

Brad.

Cars
      04-21-2018 01:19 PM #47
      The goodies have arrived!

GFB DV+
      As many of you know, our cars are notorious for diverter valves that aren't up to the task. Since I purchased my car with fairly low mileage, and given it's age, I suspected it more than likely had the original diverter valve, and that it was probably an early revision with the rubber seal. Not all that long ago, I went to a GIAC Stage 1 tune and chances were that my diverter valve would let go at some point. Out of curiosity, I started doing some research on the available assortment of upgrades, and came across the Go Fast Bits "Diverter Valve Plus" lineup of products. Essentially this kit replaces the OEM plastic and rubber valve with aluminum and brass, while retaining the factory solenoid. Their reasoning for this is that the factory solenoid is capable of opening the valve faster and more precisely than a fully mechanical system. The factory valve only has two positions, open and closed, which means that at part throttle or between gears, chances are the factory diverter valve will just dump all of the pressure. The GFB system uses an optional spring that allows the valve to open progressively and release only the amount of pressure required to prevent compressor surge/stall, allowing the system to feel more responsive, with less lag. GFB's website has a much more technical explanation than this, for those interested. I chose the product mainly because it appeared to be a bulletproof upgrade to the OEM system that wouldn't affect drivability, or add complexity.

42DD Solid Shifter Cable Endlinks & 034 Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings
      I picked these up because they're a quick and easy mod that can only improve feel. There's not much to explain other than aluminum is stiffer than rubber, which means less slop in the system.

Chinese-ium Window Switch Replacements
      I got these off ECS for like $20 for the driver's and $8 for the passenger's. From what I can tell they look and feel identical to my OEM switches currently in the car. I'll have to take a look at the wiring loom, as suggested, before going to the trouble of installing these. I guess they're good to have on hand, regardless.

Here's a closer look at what comes with the GFB DV+.

Here's my stock diverter valve, which actually seems to be in remarkably good condition. It did have a drop of oil fall out of the wiring connector plug, but it seems to work fine.

The solenoid with stock valve removed. It just lifts right off.

And with the GFB part installed (with optional spring).

Be careful not to drop your new mounting screw on top of your subframe where you can't see anything and have to spend 20 minutes with your cellphone camera as a makeshift mirror and a right angle pick trying to fish it out!

Here's the new solid bracket bushings installed. Admittedly there isn't much to see.

Here is the old rubber end link. One intact and the other after removing the rubber. Mine were so stiff and dry-rotted that I'm pretty sure they were just as solid as the aluminum I replaced it with! Also, note that this is not a reversible process. The rubber is cast into the end link and has small plastic supports holding it in place. You need to break these to remove the rubber.

And with the new solid end links.

Installed and adjusted!

Results

As far as the diverter valve goes, I can't say that I entirely noticed a difference before and after the installation. The throttle may be a bit crisper in the mid-range when modulating the pedal, but besides that I haven't noticed any new/different noises, or much difference in feel with the spring installed. That said, I do still have the stock intake, so it's possible it might sound different with an aftermarket intake. That said, I'm confident this design probably holds boost better than the factory design, and I'm sure it will last much longer, which is enough to make me happy.

The end links and bushings made a slight, but noticeable improvement in shifter feel. Things feel more precise than before, and a bit less sloppy. I would be interested to know if it would have made a more noticeable difference with fresh rubber end links compared to my old and stiff ones. Either way, I'm happy with it! I have never had any complaints with the throw of my stock shifter, but I imagine the necessity of a mod like this would increase for those with shorter than stock shifters.

Cars
      05-06-2018 11:47 AM #48

I walked out to my A3 this morning to this.

It seems the window regulator gods are not on my side...

I'm looking at trying out one of these metal aftermarket regulators that seem to be all over eBay from a German company called LST. Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems like it should eliminate the weak point in the design. Here's a link to one of the eBay postings: (https://www.ebay.com/i/162615708577?chn=ps) and a captured photo in case the posting ever gets moved or removed for some reason:

I'll probably end up trying one out, regardless. What's it gonna do, break on me?

25. 05-07-2018 11:10 AM #49
      Did you check your driver’s door wiring yet?

This latest window issue falls right in-line with that front harness being the culprit.

Brad.

Cars
      10-18-2018 11:38 AM #50
      Did you check your driver’s door wiring yet?

This latest window issue falls right in-line with that front harness being the culprit.

Brad.
      Apologies for the obnoxiously late reply. Unfortunately the door wiring and regulators have been pretty low on my list of priorities with the car and life in general, but it'll obviously need to get sorted at some point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast