Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      2006 Audi A3 - Ocean Blue - 6MT
      07-10-2017 11:27 PM #1
      Hello, Everyone!

I've owned my A3 for several years now, but never considered dedicating a thread to it. At this point in time, I feel that I have had enough experience with the car to feel comfortable talking about it. This thread will serve as a sort of "Captain's Log" for the history of my A3, primarily for my own reference, but also in an attempt to provide some sort of worthwhile content to the forum. I'm a pretty young guy, and this is my first personal vehicle. That said, I have lots of things I would like to do with my car, however, I don't have an excess of money to make that happen in a short frame of time, so this isn't so much of a "build thread" as it is a rolling history of my A3 ownership.

Goal
      My main priority is keeping this car in as healthy a condition as I can while remaining on a budget. That is not to say that I intend to cut any corners. I have lots of modifications that I would like to do, but with my relatively strict budget in mind, they tend to come rather slowly, as my main priority is keeping up with maintenance first, and mods second. More maintenance means less budget for mods, unfortunately. Anyways, as far as mods do go, and sticking with the recurring theme of a strict budget, I prefer to save for quality over quantity. I plan on some performance mods in the near future, but I would much rather save for something I know I'll be happy with instead of impatiently wasting money on a lower quality item just for the sake of doing the modification right now! If I can't do it right, I'd much rather not do it at all. A worthwhile modification should be better than OEM, and the OEM stuff is pretty good (most of the time).

Note: All Currency In USD

My Car
      Year: 2006
      Current Mileage: ~65,500! Miles (10/20/18)
      Engine: 2.0T FSI
      Transmission: Six-Speed Manual
      Driven Wheels: Front
      Color: Ocean Blue
      Body: 5-Door (Sportback)
      Options: Sport Package, Open-Sky
      Mileage At Purchase: ~28,000 Miles
      Purchase Price: $9,999

Modifications To Date
      Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Light Bulbs ~$20
      Dension Gateway Lite BT ~$180
      Clear Front Marker Lenses ~$20
      RS3 Replica Honeycomb Grille (All Black) ~$50
      Handmade/Custom Center Armrest (Mk2 WIP)
      Black Forest Industries Heavy-Weight Shift Knob ~$150
      3M Color Stable Window Tint ~$500
      EBC RedStuff Brake Pads F/R ~$210
      ECS Slotted Brake Rotors F/R ~$300
      BFI Dogbone Mount Insert ~$45
      Koni Coilover Kit ~$1100
      GIAC Stage 1 ECU Tune @ ~55,000 Miles $0
      AWE Downpipe (Ceramic Cat) ~$540

Repairs To Date
      Charge Air Pressure Sensor (IIRC) Wiring Shorted - Repaired By Local Audi Dealership ~$600
      Intake Air Related Sensor Wiring Shorted - Repaired By Local Audi Dealership ~$200
      (I need to find my paperwork on these so I can provide a more accurate description. These issues appeared within my first year of ownership and my experience with my local dealership was horrendous.)
      A/C Compressor, Expansion Valve, Drier - Replaced @ 47,000 Miles By Me ~$400
      Driver's Rear Window Regulator (#2) - Replaced w/ OEM @ 56,000 Miles By Me ~$130
      Downpipe/Catalytic Converter - Replaced w/ AWE Downpipe @ 65,500 Miles By Me ~$540
      Coolant Distribution Pipe - Replaced w/ OEM @ 65,500 Miles By Me ~$15
      Brake Booster Vacuum Lines - Replaced w/ Spulen Silicone Hose Kit @ 65,500 By Me ~$50

Maintenance To Date
      LiquiMoly 5W-40 Leichtlauf High Tech @ Every 5,000 Miles By Me ~$60
      Cam Follower @ 40,000 Miles By Me ~$50
      CV Boots @ 42,000 Miles By Me ~$50
      EBC RedStuff Brake Pads @ 42,000 Miles By Me ~$210
      ECS Slotted Rotors Front/Rear @ 42,000 Miles By Me ~$300
      NGK R OEM Spark Plugs @ 47,000 Miles By Me ~$30
      Bosch OEM Coil Packs @ 47,000 Miles By Me ~$70
      Timing @ 47,700 Miles By Me ~$300
      Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 @ 55,000 Miles $380 + $76 (Mount and Balance)

(Roughly) Estimated Money Saved By DIY Maintenance/Repair: ~$6,200

To-Do List
      Driver's Side Window Switch
      Passenger's Side Window Switch
      Passenger's Side Door Lock Switch
      Front/Rear Open-Sky Sun-Shade Latch
      Rear Armrest Latch
      Driver's Side Left A/C Vent Missing A Singular Slat
      Headliner
      Rear Passenger's Side Window Regulator

Wishlist
      18" BBS LMs or CCW Classics
      P3Cars Gauge
      S3 Leather Interior Trim
      Intake

So now we're just about caught up! Everything from here on out should be current to the date of posting, more or less. I'll make sure to post pictures where appropriate!

Feel free to post in this thread or PM me about any questions, comments, or suggestions you might have.

IMG_3768
      Last edited by Hawkman312; 10-22-2018 at 11:21 AM.
      2006 A3 2.0T - Ocean Blue - 6MT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      07-11-2017 12:11 PM #2
      Ocean Blue

I have a driver and passenger side window switch set (genuine Audi originals that came from my car, in perfect shape) if you're interested...shoot me a PM.

Cars
      07-11-2017 08:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Ocean Blue

I have a driver and passenger side window switch set (genuine Audi originals that came from my car, in perfect shape) if you're interested...shoot me a PM.
      I've got some other stuff going on at the moment, (doing timing this weekend for example) but it's definitely on the list. I'll make sure to PM you when I get around to it!

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      07-12-2017 01:11 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman312 View Post
      I've got some other stuff going on at the moment, (doing timing this weekend for example) but it's definitely on the list. I'll make sure to PM you when I get around to it!
      Ha, just realized you already contacted me about them a while back. I still have them

Cars
      07-12-2017 10:15 PM #5
      Ha, just realized you already contacted me about them a while back. I still have them
      That I did! Sorry for being non-committal in that PM, still trying to sort out my priorities as far as putting money into this thing goes.

Cars
      07-14-2017 08:51 PM #6
      Got some goodies in the mail earlier this week!

Pictured
      Gates Racing Timing Belt
      HEPU (OEM) Water Pump w/ Metal Impeller
      INA (OEM) Tensioner
      INA (OEM) Upper Roller
      NTN (OEM) Lower Roller
      BFI Polyurethane Dogbone Mount Insert

BFI Insert - First Impressions
      I shoved the BFI dogbone insert in before my commute today, so I haven't had much time with it yet, but my first impressions are great!

I was always sort of skeptical about how much of a difference such a cheap and seemingly insignificant mod could make, but wow... All of the sloppiness between gears is gone. I used to never quite get my shifts perfectly smooth, despite constantly practicing and focusing on it. Immediately after installing the insert, all of my shifts are pretty much perfect, upshifts and downshifts. I always assumed I was just not all that great at driving my car in particular, but this is definitely a, "it's not me, it's you," sort of a moment. I really should have done this sooner.

I have noticed almost no changes in NVH whatsoever. There may be an infinitely insignificant amount of additional vibration through the pedals, but I'm not sure if that's just my brain telling me there is, when there really isn't. If I wasn't aware that something had been changed, I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all.

The car does seem to get the power down more smoothly, and feels more predictable and a bit quicker as a result. I floored it out of a corner that I usually get some traction control intervention in, and the car didn't skip a beat. All the power went straight to the ground, which felt great.

Timing
      The timing belt will be going in this Sunday, and I'm hoping the blue belt doesn't end up being particularly noisy, but I guess we'll see!

Cars
      07-17-2017 09:59 PM #7
      Timing
      Well, my timing job this last weekend was successful, but (typically) did not go as smoothly as originally planned.

As you can see in my last post, I purchased a blue Gates Racing timing belt. Unfortunately, I either miss-ordered the part (which is the most likely explanation ), or was sent the incorrect part. Either way, it didn't even come close to fitting. I believe the blue belt was actually for a 1.8T, and not the 2.0T. The blue belt had 150 teeth, while the OEM 2.0T belt should have 148.

Luckily, I managed to hunt down an OEM belt at an auto-parts store in town, and was able to complete the job and make it home!

It hasn't blown up yet, so here's hoping it stays that way.

Above
      Here you can see the obvious difference between the blue belt and the OEM belt.

Above
      And here you can see the blue belt obviously not fitting. I spent about an hour trying to figure out why on earth my tensioner wouldn't, well... hold any tension. I finally gave up, and decided to count the teeth, whereupon I discovered my error.

Cars
      2014 VW JSW; 2001.5 Audi S4 Nogaro
      07-17-2017 11:21 PM #8
      Where did you source your replica grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      07-18-2017 12:45 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by tylaughter View Post
      Where did you source your replica grill?

I believe I got mine from Ebay, but it looks like ECS has a fairly wide assortment: https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3-FW...r/Body/Grille/

Cars
      07-22-2017 12:25 AM #10
      After sorting around through some paperwork the other day, I found something I never realized I had! Really neat to find the original sticker, given that I'm not the original owner. It's like a glimpse into past history that I've inherited with the car, even though it wasn't mine to begin with. Makes you wonder what kind of person the original owner was, why they bought the vehicle, etc.

Last edited by Hawkman312; 07-22-2017 at 12:28 AM.

12. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3 Quattro
      07-22-2017 01:39 AM #11
      After sorting around through some paperwork the other day, I found something I never realized I had! Really neat to find the original sticker, given that I'm not the original owner. It's like a glimpse into past history that I've inherited with the car, even though it wasn't mine to begin with. Makes you wonder what kind of person the original owner was, why they bought the vehicle, etc.

Cool that you found the orginal sticker. Makes me miss my 06 A3. I am glad you got the timing belt and stuff sorted out.

I love that color. I wish i had it.

Keep up the tasteful mods when you can. Looking forward to them as they come.
      Last edited by A3-Owner; 07-22-2017 at 01:41 AM.
      2012 Blue Audi A3 Quattro

Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      08-01-2017 05:58 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by A3-Owner View Post
      Cool that you found the orginal sticker. Makes me miss my 06 A3. I am glad you got the timing belt and stuff sorted out.

I love that color. I wish i had it.

Keep up the tasteful mods when you can. Looking forward to them as they come.
      Such a great color!

I have my original window sticker from New I think it was... I will have to dig it up and post it.
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

Cars
      08-03-2017 09:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post
      Such a great color!

I have my original window sticker from New I think it was... I will have to dig it up and post it.
      Thanks! I love it...

You absolutely should!

Cars
      08-03-2017 09:29 PM #14
      Christmas came early!

Cars
      08-12-2017 06:02 PM #15
      The Koni coil-overs went in the car yesterday! The job actually took a lot more effort than I was expecting, which seems to be a recurring theme with car work... but in the end everything came together pretty smoothly!

I was worried that going to coil-overs would ruin the ride or make the car too stiff, but I have to say I'm pleased with how these turned out. They feel a little bit stiffer and substantially more planted than my stock (10+ year old) sport suspension did, and honestly not much harsher at all. I've got the rear damping adjustment set a quarter turn from full stiff, and the front about half a turn from full stiff, and it feels very good where it is. I may make some minor adjustments from there as I get used to the new personality of the car.

In the photo below, the rears are a little higher than the halfway mark on the threads, and the front is actually all the way down, since it was easiest to get the spring onto the shock body in this position, and I haven't had time to adjust it yet. I plan on bringing the front up about half an inch or so, and then matching the rears based on that fender-to-ground measurement.

It's amazing how much better the car comes out in photographs at a lower than stock ride-height...

IMG_3480

17. 08-29-2017 06:04 PM #16
      Looks great!

Cars
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      09-09-2017 09:57 PM #17
      Hey Hawkman,

first of all, based on your sticker, it seems like your car is the exact configuration I have (6 spd, sport package, leather seats ...) with the exception of mine not having the sunroof (and of course different colors in and out).

Secondly, my compliments on your exterior color and my hat off on you tackling the timing belt job (how many miles on your A3?). Something I am not brave and skilled to do and have to pay others :-(

And coilovers are definitely a great improvement of handling and looks . Agree with you, small height adjustment will make both better !

Great work, thanks for the updates, keep them coming !!
      Bronco

ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe | EuroLED tail lights | RS grille

Cars
      09-20-2017 08:57 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
      Hey Hawkman,

first of all, based on your sticker, it seems like your car is the exact configuration I have (6 spd, sport package, leather seats ...) with the exception of mine not having the sunroof (and of course different colors in and out).

Secondly, my compliments on your exterior color and my hat off on you tackling the timing belt job (how many miles on your A3?). Something I am not brave and skilled to do and have to pay others :-(

And coilovers are definitely a great improvement of handling and looks . Agree with you, small height adjustment will make both better !

Great work, thanks for the updates, keep them coming !!
      Hey, Bronco, sorry for the late reply!

That's awesome! I'm actually fairly certain that the US models were only available with the sunroof at first, and while I like it... I'm also terrified of something breaking on it or leaking, since it's practically the entire roof and a heck of a lot of glass. I absolutely love Ocean Blue, it's one of my favorite colors on these A3s and their contemporaries, along with pretty much every Audi blue, especially Sprint Blue.

I'm at about 50,000 miles (~80k KM) on the car, which is definitely early for the timing belt, but I wanted to go ahead and do it because of the age, and because I can afford a timing belt, but not a new engine. So it was just to be safe rather than sorry.

The coilovers have continued to be awesome!

Cars
      09-20-2017 09:05 AM #19
      Wow, just 50k miles? You don't drive much ... no wonder car looks so good

Bronco

Cars
      09-20-2017 09:11 AM #20
      Wow, just 50k miles? You don't drive much ... no wonder car looks so good

Well, to be fair, I bought it at 28,000 miles about three years ago. I've been driving much more than I used to since I've been at university for a little over a year now, but I still don't drive much compared to a lot of people!

Cars
      09-20-2017 09:14 AM #21
      Well, to be fair, I bought it at 28,000 miles about three years ago. I've been driving much more than I used to since I've been at university for a little over a year now, but I still don't drive much compared to a lot of people!
      I see. That was a great buy for you then !
      Bronco

Cars
      09-20-2017 09:22 AM #22
      I see. That was a great buy for you then !
      Yes, absolutely! I probably hunted around online for a car for a good year looking for something I liked, could afford, and was fairly low mileage. It seemed to be a classic "pick two" sort of thing. I didn't even know what an A3 was until I decided to pick it from the menu on AutoTrader one day just out of curiosity. Well I decided I liked it a lot, did some research, got an insurance quote, and a few days later my car popped up!

Cars
      09-20-2017 09:32 AM #23
      Yes, absolutely! I probably hunted around online for a car for a good year looking for something I liked, could afford, and was fairly low mileage. It seemed to be a classic "pick two" sort of thing. I didn't even know what an A3 was until I decided to pick it from the menu on AutoTrader one day just out of curiosity. Well I decided I liked it a lot, did some research, got an insurance quote, and a few days later my car popped up!
      Awesome, congratulations!! You did great, your car looks like one of a kind. Enjoy !

Bronco

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      09-20-2017 12:14 PM #24
      Awesome, congratulations!! You did great, your car looks like one of a kind. Enjoy !

Well, maybe two of a kind around here

Love ocean blue!

Cars
      09-20-2017 07:27 PM #25
      Well, maybe two of a kind around here

Love ocean blue!
      Your's looks way shinier! Do you have some sort of coating on it? Or maybe just edit your photos a specific way? Either way, looks awesome! I like the wheels too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast