Fourtitude.com - Help stop me from getting a useless AR-15 Pistol build
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      07-02-2017 02:54 PM #1
      As much as I am considering getting out of firearms since I find myself with no time to go hunting, or to the range.... I am seriously tempted to build one of the useless AR-15 pistols.

Seeing barreled uppers from PSA for like $200

"PSA Stealth 7" Pistol-length 5.56 1:7 Nitride 9" Lightweight Keymod Rail w/ KAK Flash Can, BCG, & CH"

along with stripped lowers etc... heck I have more fun building them.

These things have minimal use, target shooting is out the window, accuracy of a storm trooper, overpenetrating rounds useless for short barrels and home defense...

Talk me out of this before I start making a list.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '18 Ioniq, '66 Stude Daytona
      07-02-2017 06:11 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      As much as I am considering getting out of firearms since I find myself with no time to go hunting, or to the range.... I am seriously tempted to build one of the useless AR-15 pistol.
      "PSA Stealth 7" Pistol-length 5.56 1:7 Nitride 9" Lightweight Keymod Rail w/ KAK Flash Can, BCG, & CH"
      Here's a few reasons to not build an AR pistol/use this pistol upper:
      1. It's an AR pistol; nothing more needs to be said, but I'll go on.
      2. It's from PSA- you filthy hobby-tier casual.
      3. It's got Keymod; USSOCOM found M-LOK did better in testing. Not only are you a hobby-tier casual, but you're a low-speed, high-drag one.
      4. KAK Flash Can? John Noveske is rolling in his grave and calling you a plebe.

AR pistols seem like a hoodrat SBR or range gimmick. If you want to throw away $200, get the Hi-Point with factory money hydro-dip and spend the rest on nails and wood and use it to build a deck.
      4/29/17: Dear Diary, Today I got Nater'd...

Cars
      04 .:R. 87 325IC/M50
      07-02-2017 06:27 PM #3
      I find building pistol ar's are better than sbr's. Don't get me wrong. I love my sbr but it's a hassle if you ever wanted to travel across state lines with it. With a pistol build and a chl you can go into any state that accepts your permit without a problem. Especially now that the atf cleared up the whole shouldering aspect my mk18 sbr shoots the same as my pistol ar.

I'd much rather have my sbr or pistol for a home defense rifle than my 16" or 18" rifles.

I also wouldn't let the internet dissuade you into thinking short barrels equal crap accuracy. When you get into 8" territory you are sacrificing accuracy but a 10" barrel I can still make easy follow up shots at 2-300 yards. A 8" barrel is still going to be accurate in home defense situations.

For myself it's worth it. I go shooting with my friends in Oregon all the time and I don't even bother taking my mk18 anymore, I just take my pistol lower and put my mk18 upper on it when I go shooting across state lines with them. Just my .02 but I have an addiction and I am constantly buying new crap all the time.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      07-02-2017 06:32 PM #4
      Dear sir I say, I take you advice and I contest it!

But overall yes, it's not a smart idea. Just very tempted, but won't be doing anything.

Although the last upper I bought from PSA hasn't been bad at all. Just got it long enough before the whole MLOK/Keymod thing was ... settled? But it's a Recce styled build, so there's like zippy accessories needed. Probably just going to sell it anyways sooner than later.

Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      07-02-2017 06:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Lurkin bunny View Post
      I find building pistol ar's are better than sbr's. Don't get me wrong. I love my sbr but it's a hassle if you ever wanted to travel across state lines with it. With a pistol build and a chl you can go into any state that accepts your permit without a problem. Especially now that the atf cleared up the whole shouldering aspect my mk18 sbr shoots the same as my pistol ar.
      That's the other issue, I may be leaving WV in the next 6 months, and the next state laws would probably pose an issue. HD I'm already setup, until my kids can get their hands on my revolver or my 1911, which will be more of an issue in a couple years (only 4 and 2 now) and can open locked cases.

Cars
      07-02-2017 06:40 PM #6
      Dear sir I say, I take you advice and I contest it!

But overall yes, it's not a smart idea. Just very tempted, but won't be doing anything.

Although the last upper I bought from PSA hasn't been bad at all. Just got it long enough before the whole MLOK/Keymod thing was ... settled? But it's a Recce styled build, so there's like zippy accessories needed. Probably just going to sell it anyways sooner than later.
      I think one would be cool for the novelty factor, but that's after I've already purchased everything else I've got my eye on; that's a few firearms to go before I hit that point. My reply was just how many firearm forum tropes can I fit into one reply.

As far as PSA: the answer really depends on who you're asking and when they made their purchase. It seems they've hit a rough patch recently, at least with their AK release, but FN makes their barrels and there are only so many forges that produce upper/lower receivers. If you know who makes the products they put their name on, judge off of that.
      Last edited by Vee-Dubber-GLI; 07-02-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      07-03-2017 12:34 AM #7
      AR pistols are only good for one thing... Letting you "use" your firearm while you wait twelve months for the ATF to process your Form 1 to "make" an SBR. Braces are stupid and trashy. And, it's not difficult to travel across state lines. Just file a 5030.20 a month or so before you want to go somewhere, the form is good for a year. Considering every range I go to is just on the other side of the border in WV, I have a LOT of experience with this.

Also:
      - 5.56 uppers shouldn't be shorter than 10.3" at the very least.
      - Short AR uppers (8" or so) should be 300BLK and that's it.

I know nothing of PSA quality as I tend to either buy from a place like BCM or assemble my own using higher end parts. That being said, I was looking at their wannabe Mk18 10.5" upper just for s***s and giggles. It's stupid cheap and I'll have a high quality BCG to throw in it. I guess the biggest concern is if they drilled the gas port properly.
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 07-03-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Cars
      07-03-2017 12:52 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I know nothing of PSA quality as I tend to either buy from a place like BCM or assemble my own using higher end parts. That being said, I was looking at their wannabe Mk18 10.5" upper just for s***s and giggles. It's stupid cheap and I'll have a high quality BCG to throw in it. I guess the biggest concern is if they drilled the gas port properly.
      I'm not sure if their FN barrels have the gas port already dri;;ed or if they do it in-house; if FN does it, I'd be pretty confident it was good to go.

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      07-03-2017 01:28 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      I'm not sure if their FN barrels have the gas port already dri;;ed or if they do it in-house; if FN does it, I'd be pretty confident it was good to go.
      Do they use FNH barrels on all of their uppers? If so, I guess I'd be okay with their "Mk18" then.

Cars
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      07-03-2017 07:57 AM #10
      AR pistols are only good for one thing... Letting you "use" your firearm while you wait twelve months for the ATF to process your Form 1 to "make" an SBR. Braces are stupid and trashy. And, it's not difficult to travel across state lines. Just file a 5030.20 a month or so before you want to go somewhere, the form is good for a year. Considering every range I go to is just on the other side of the border in WV, I have a LOT of experience with this.

Also:

Noted. I always figured an AR pistol would be good for a spray n pray scenario which no one would ever encounter unless there actually is a zombie apocalypse. But the hold-over while waiting for SBR paperwork makes sense too.

Seems less and less like an idea that I need to flesh out at all. Probably better time/money spent getting a can setup for my main rifle.

13. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      07-03-2017 05:14 PM #11
      As much as I am considering getting out of firearms since I find myself with no time to go hunting, or to the range.... I am seriously tempted to build one of the useless AR-15 pistols.

Seeing barreled uppers from PSA for like $200

along with stripped lowers etc... heck I have more fun building them.

These things have minimal use, target shooting is out the window, accuracy of a storm trooper, overpenetrating rounds useless for short barrels and home defense...

Guns are fun, mkay? If you are not a prohibited person from owning firearms, I say do whatever you want. It's a fun exercise to build something.

Also:
      Interesting. I have not heard of this before, can you explain the reasoning? I haven't looked into building an SBR/AR-P yet (I'm still trying to build my first ARs) and I haven't heard anyone on the 'nutjobforum.com' mention this. Is it something to do with ballistics difference between 5.56 and .300? Accuracy? Or wear & tear on the rifle?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      07-03-2017 05:28 PM #12
      I've always heard/read that 5.56 needs at least 10" of full powder burn to maintain ballistics. Anything shorter can lead to gas problems and impaired ballistics.

300BLK was designed for short barrels (8"-10") as it uses a faster burning powder. Anything greater than 10" is just wasted space.

15. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      07-03-2017 05:32 PM #13
      I've always heard/read that 5.56 needs at least 10" of full powder burn to maintain ballistics. Anything shorter can lead to gas problems and impaired ballistics.

300BLK was designed for short barrels (8"-10") as it uses a faster burning powder. Anything greater than 10" is just wasted space.
      So the 300BLK is the Nissan GT-R of the bullet world?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      07-03-2017 10:32 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      So the 300BLK is the Nissan GT-R of the bullet world?
      Only if you're using the GT-R for 1/8 mile drag racing...

I LOVE 300BLK, but you've got to know its limitations. If I didn't reload; have an SBR and a suppressor; or shoot steel I would find the round pointless.

Cars
      07-03-2017 11:32 PM #15
      Do they use FNH barrels on all of their uppers? If so, I guess I'd be okay with their "Mk18" then.
      Not sure if it's all of them, I know their product lines have expanded a lot since I last ordered from them. If the barrel description says something like "machine gun steel" or "double-thickness chrome lining", those are signs it's a FN barrel. Those are their two big talking points for their barrels.

Cars
      XJ
      07-04-2017 03:51 PM #16
      You could always just register it as a pistol, then put a stock on it???

I'm kidding.

VWfiends

*** MK3 PARTS FOR SALE *** Cabrio visors, Aux input OE radio, Vento grille halves, Amber turns, 5x100 -> 112 adapters, and more!

19. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      07-05-2017 12:06 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by zrace07 View Post
      You could always just register it as a pistol, then put a stock on it???

I'm kidding.

what is this word you speak of?

WA handgun registry here.

Cars
      XJ
      07-05-2017 06:06 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      what is this word you speak of?
      Hahahah
      VWfiends

*** MK3 PARTS FOR SALE *** Cabrio visors, Aux input OE radio, Vento grille halves, Amber turns, 5x100 -> 112 adapters, and more!

21. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      07-28-2017 02:36 PM #19
      It would be cheaper to just punch your eardrums out with a pencil.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

22. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      07-28-2017 03:31 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      It would be cheaper to just punch your eardrums out with a pencil.
      but not as fun.