Fourtitude.com - Recommend me: compact 45 ACP
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    1. Member ladykiller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Denial
      Posts
      740
      Cars
      3d
      06-29-2017 11:36 AM #1
      I'm looking to replace my Sig P226 40S&W with a compact 45.

      I was looking at the Springfield XD-S 3.3" 45ACP, Glock G30 or G36.

      Does anyone have experience with either or have another suggestion?

      I'm looking to move from the 40 to 45 due to the snappy recoil of the 40. The wife isn't a big fan of it. I've heard (and it's been a long time since I've shot) a 45 is more of a push back.

      On the other hand, 45 rounds are a little more expensive. Quick search for some bulk ammo, a 1000 rounds of 45 is $40 more than 40. So not terrible.

      I'm waiting for my wife to be able to go to the range on ladies night to check these out. It's $20 cheaper for both of us to go then vs me going alone. I want to make sure she is comfortable shooting the one we pick out.
      i have nerd tendencies

      i work in a world of shoulds (>ლ)

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 06-29-2017 12:19 PM #2
      Just go with 9mm. You're not losing much if anything. The gap between rounds is almost non existent with quality built defensive ammunition. If your wife is uncomfortable with recoil look at Hornady Critical Defense - good bullet, low recoil.

    4. 06-29-2017 09:17 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Just go with 9mm. You're not losing much if anything. The gap between rounds is almost non existent with quality built defensive ammunition. If your wife is uncomfortable with recoil look at Hornady Critical Defense - good bullet, low recoil.
      I installed a wolf 9mm barrel in my Glock 27 and it has a much nicer recoil. Also much less expensive. I 2nd trying a 9mm with defence rounds.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member ErikGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2006
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      1,991
      Cars
      17' Golf Alltrack
      06-29-2017 10:31 PM #4
      I third getting a 9mm. These days quality defensive 9mm loads make .40 and .45 pointless, not to mention you're getting more capacity with 9mm as well.

    7. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      31,849
      Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      07-03-2017 12:38 AM #5
      What's the point of the gun? Compact .45s aren't any fun to shoot... I guess you could use it as a carry gun, but it's still no fun to practice with.

    8. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,314
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      07-03-2017 03:03 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ladykiller View Post
      I'm looking to replace my Sig P226 40S&W with a compact 45.

      I was looking at the Springfield XD-S 3.3" 45ACP, Glock G30 or G36.

      Does anyone have experience with either or have another suggestion?

      I'm looking to move from the 40 to 45 due to the snappy recoil of the 40. The wife isn't a big fan of it. I've heard (and it's been a long time since I've shot) a 45 is more of a push back.

      On the other hand, 45 rounds are a little more expensive. Quick search for some bulk ammo, a 1000 rounds of 45 is $40 more than 40. So not terrible.

      I'm waiting for my wife to be able to go to the range on ladies night to check these out. It's $20 cheaper for both of us to go then vs me going alone. I want to make sure she is comfortable shooting the one we pick out.
      Get the XD-S in 4"; either 9mm or .45.

      Depending upon the gun, .45 feel more like a push back, rather than a snap up. That's usually because of the platform used. My 1911 5" goes back. HK45 goes back. S&W E-series 4" lightweight 1911 snaps.

      But as others have pointed out, for defensive purposes, 9mm ammo is more than sufficient today.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    9. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      10,200
      Cars
      17 Chevy SS
      07-03-2017 04:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Get the XD-S in 4"; either 9mm or .45.

      Depending upon the gun, .45 feel more like a push back, rather than a snap up. That's usually because of the platform used. My 1911 5" goes back. HK45 goes back. S&W E-series 4" lightweight 1911 snaps.

      But as others have pointed out, for defensive purposes, 9mm ammo is more than sufficient today.
      The platform you're using and how it's weighted definitely makes a huge difference in how the recoil feels.
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

    10. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,314
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      07-03-2017 05:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      The platform you're using and how it's weighted definitely makes a huge difference in how the recoil feels.
      Yeah, I was real surprised in how light my buddy's S&W 4" 1911 was when I shot it. I shoot my 1911 and it's closer to a 9mm, while his is closer to a G27.

      My b-i-l has the .45 xd-s 3.3" and really likes it. But it's not one he takes to the range or EDC.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    11. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      41,639
      Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      07-23-2017 06:04 PM #9
      XDs are trash. Sorry.

      Just get a 9mm. Modern defensive loads make 40s pointless, plus shot placement and round capacity trumps 45.

      Glock or Sig ftw.

    12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,314
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      08-01-2017 02:10 PM #10
      OP: Update?


      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      XDs are trash. Sorry.

      Just get a 9mm. Modern defensive loads make 40s pointless, plus shot placement and round capacity trumps 45.

      Glock or Sig ftw.
      Are you saying all XDs? Or the XD-S? Or the XD?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    13. Member ladykiller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Denial
      Posts
      740
      Cars
      3d
      08-02-2017 11:00 AM #11
      After shooting 7 different pistols, I went with the XD Mod.2 3.3" in 45ACP.

      Shot about 80-90 rounds through each.

      Really liked the way it felt in my hand. Didn't have any soreness after shooting them.

      Now I need to find a good holster.
      i have nerd tendencies

      i work in a world of shoulds (>ლ)

    14. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,314
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      08-02-2017 12:47 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by ladykiller View Post
      After shooting 7 different pistols, I went with the XD Mod.2 3.3" in 45ACP.

      Shot about 80-90 rounds through each.

      Really liked the way it felt in my hand. Didn't have any soreness after shooting them.

      Now I need to find a good holster.


      holsters:
      single guy operation- 360concealment.com
      aliengear- inexpensive but comfortable.

      I just picked up an aliengear IWB for my 1911. Works great, but not as stiff as my CrossBreed IWB for my XDM 3.8".
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    15. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      41,639
      Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      08-02-2017 09:31 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      OP: Update?




      Are you saying all XDs? Or the XD-S? Or the XD?


      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HS2000

      SA is a terrible anti 2A company, has nothing to do with the real SA, and that is just is old Crotian pistol.

      Shield or Glock.

    16. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      31,849
      Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      08-03-2017 12:02 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HS2000

      SA is a terrible anti 2A company, has nothing to do with the real SA, and that is just is old Crotian pistol.

      Shield or Glock.
      Yep.

    17. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      TBD
      Posts
      3,120
      Cars
      '18 Ioniq, '66 Stude Daytona
      08-05-2017 10:53 AM #15
      M&P45C or Shield 45.
      4/29/17: Dear Diary, Today I got Nater'd...

    18. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,314
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      08-08-2017 12:55 PM #16
      Interesting no one is suggesting a 1911 compact here. I would assume they are a little too temperamental?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    19. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      TBD
      Posts
      3,120
      Cars
      '18 Ioniq, '66 Stude Daytona
      08-09-2017 01:25 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Interesting no one is suggesting a 1911 compact here. I would assume they are a little too temperamental?
      Sort of; they can be finicky and require tweaking but it depends on the make/model. 1911s are like ARs; the userbase is sort of all or nothing in that someone will come out and say that Wilson Combat is the absolute minimum for protecting yourself and your loved ones and then someone else will say their RIA is just as good for 1/4 the price and then it devolves into screeching and ****-flinging.
      4/29/17: Dear Diary, Today I got Nater'd...

    20. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      41,639
      Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      08-11-2017 07:33 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Interesting no one is suggesting a 1911 compact here. I would assume they are a little too temperamental?
      Heavy, single stack.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •