Fourtitude.com - Wierd skin issue - dermatologist has failed
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 06-16-2017 01:25 PM #1
      Feeling pretty desperate here, I have a skin issue that's going on about 1.5 years. It started out as some raised, white, dry, very callus-y skin on my toes. It eventually "spread" to my fingers. I fought it for a long time, trying creams, increased hydration, better nutrition, etc. I eventually went to a dermatologist who diagnosed me with eczema. He prescribed steroid cream. It seemed to help at first with the raised, dry skin, but now I have a new problem - my skin is repeatedly peeling and will not heal. I had read that steroid cream would thin your skin, but my dermatologist insisted I keep using it saying that it "skin thinning is almost never an issue on your hands or feet where your skin is extra thick and resilient". After 5 visits to the Dermatologist, I stopped going and stopped taking the cream. My skin appears to have improved a little, but is still tearing/peeling. It's also very sensitive to the touch and just plain feels thin. It's been about 4-5 months with no change.

I'm kind of cynical/gun-shy of dermatologists now - he was highly recommended and one of the best in my area. Has great google reviews too. I didn't like that he was very quick to prescribe a cream and not address what was the supposed underlying issue. However, I was a little suspicious of an autoimune issue considering that I had no issues for 33 years and then suddenly one day have a skin issue. IDK - maybe that's completely normal to happen.

Background: 33 white male, never had any skin issues (or anything really) until this, no family history of skin issues. I work a white collar job and am not exposed to chemicals at work or at home.

Misc info/ things I have done:
      -No diabetes
      -Physical came back fine, although i am slightly low in Vitamin D
      -Drink plenty of water - at least 60+ ounces of water, more if I'm working outside or exerting myself. I rarely feel thirsty
      -Use Dove Sensitive skin soap and shortened my showers
      -Eating less processed foods (however i still eat them)
      -Lost 20lbs - still technically overweight (BMI around 27), no change during weight loss
      -Using lotions - the primary one I use is Cerave
      -Tried different detergents
      -Even moved to a different house (not due to my skin)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      3d
      07-25-2017 10:30 AM #2
      I might have the same thing as you do. I haven't made it to a dermatologist and now it seems like it might not be worth it.

Mine is only on a couple fingers.
      On my left hand...the tip of my pointer finger (more on the middle finger side) and the tip of my thumb (more on the outside). The left hand is worse than the right, but it's in the same spots on my right hand.

I don't know exactly when mine started, but it's been a while. I can't think of any real changes that have happened.

I'm 38, white male. According to the internet I'm about 20 pounds overweight, I've been this weight for a long time.
      I was slightly vitamin D deficient, but have gotten that up to a good level.
      I work from home on my pc.
      I'll usually go out to dinner twice a week. The rest of time time, I am cooking at home.

I've been wearing a band-aid and applying antibiotic ointment over night. I usually only do it a couple nights until it looks better and not long enough for the epidermis (or finger print) to come back in that spot. It usually gets worse and the cycle continues.

Does your skin crack enough to see blood? Not necessarily bleed, but the skin has cracked all the way through.
      i have nerd tendencies

i work in a world of shoulds (>ლ)

4. Senior Member
      07-25-2017 11:32 AM #3
      Yes, when I was younger. A physician 40 or so years ago said I had atopic dermatitis. Very dry skin in places. Weird, since my face and scalp are very oily.

5. Senior Member
      07-25-2017 11:38 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ladykiller View Post
      ... (or finger print) to come back in that spot. It usually gets worse and the cycle continues ...
      Yup. That's it. I would lose fingerprints. Always amazed that they came back.

6. 07-26-2017 02:55 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      I'm the same age as you and I have the exact same thing on the exact same finger except mine is closer to the first knuckle. I've had it for the past several months now. The palm of my other hand has that same dry, cracked skin that never seems to fully heal. Never paid much mind to it though.

Cars
      3d
      07-27-2017 10:29 AM #6
      I really don't like putting lotion on because of how long it takes to dry. Even Vaseline for men fast absorbing isn't that great, but is quicker than anything else I've tried.

Did a quick google search for atopic dermatitis treatment and picked up some Eucerin Eczema Relief.

I put a pea-dime sized amount in my hand and tried to rub it in. It is thick stuff and took a while to finally soak in.

I decided to just put a tiny amount on my finger tips vs having to wait for my entire hands to dry out. The dry time is reduced a lot, which is nice since I'm on my pc all the time.

After a couple days, I can already see improvement. Maybe worth trying.

This is what I picked up from the grocery store.
      i have nerd tendencies

i work in a world of shoulds (>ლ)