Fourtitude.com - 2018 Acura TLX facelift revealed - The return of the A-Spec package
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      07-28-2019 01:06 PM #101
      Genesis 3.3T is pretty stout for the money but I still don't trust Hyundai/Kia and the aftermarket sucks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      07-28-2019 01:13 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      G70 and TLX shouldn’t even be in the same conversation. The fact that they’re in the same price category blows my mind.
      If I was shopping for an ICE today in this class, G70 would probably get it, or maybe roll the dice on an Alfa. G70 wasn't out yet when I was shopping last spring unfortunately.

Cars
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      07-28-2019 10:26 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Genesis 3.3T is pretty stout for the money but I still don't trust Hyundai/Kia and the aftermarket sucks
      This pretty much. Short of major changes for the FMC for the TLX, as in a true TypeS that isnt embarrassing Im probably going german. I dont trust alfa or the koreans just yet.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

5. Former Advertiser
      07-29-2019 01:39 AM #104
      I have to come clean- I have had a '16 SH-AWD Tech for about a month and I am really enjoying it

It's not an obvious choice and it def doesn't win VWVortex cool points like a 340i M-Sport... but I test drove a regular 340i in my search and just didn't see what the price premium got me. It was a lot better than the 328i rental I had a few years back but not even as good as an old E60 let alone E90. Interior didn't look or feel any better either

But there's a lot to like. Yes the J35 is not a B58... but it's got a lot more character and less to break out of the box than the B48 in the cars the TLX actually competes with. SH-AWD is brilliant. I've always been a fan of the design- I've admired this particular car for years:

Almost looks like an Alfa to me. And of course you have Honda reliability

Critically what I don't like can mostly be fixed. The ZF9 is not great but it's tolerable and really shines on the highway. The interior is surprisingly cramped for its size but my wife is comfortable in front of the rear facing child seat. The infotainment sucks and has the same design as what you find in a Civic EX, but there are plug and play smartphone integration modules. Stock suspension is meh and I can see why reviewers hate it... but a good set of coilovers will sort that right out. I feel much better about this purchase and went into it with a much clearer head than I did with the Optima. Looking to drive it into the ground

So again it's not going to have your IG lit or your VWV inbox flooded with high fives. But in SH-AWD trim it's no worse to drive than a similarly priced German offering. The 20 year old J35 will run another 20 years with nothing but oil and timing belt (smh) changes. To me it has one of the best exteriors in the segment. Aftermarket is good etc. I don't think it's a purchase one should feel bad about

Nice wheels

6. Member
      Cars
      07-29-2019 07:00 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels View Post
      Nice wheels
      Not my car, but I agree

7. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      07-29-2019 09:42 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      This pretty much. Short of major changes for the FMC for the TLX, as in a true TypeS that isnt embarrassing Im probably going german. I dont trust alfa or the koreans just yet.
      Out of curiosity, why don't you trust the Koreans? The Koreans back their cars with a massive warranty. Their infotainment systems and electronics tend to be rock solid and they aren't using complicated dampers like magnedampers or air suspensions. Their longitudinal 8-speed auto has been in their vehicles since the original Genesis sedan. The only unknown would be the 3.3T, but you get 10 years / 100,000 miles to cover that.

It's a bit bizarre to say "I dont trust the koreans" and "Im probably going german" in the same sentence...

8. Member
      Cars
      07-29-2019 10:04 AM #107
      I can't speak for him as I don't trust the Germans either

But going forward the way I look at cars is what I'd want to own out of warranty. That's still a hell no for the Koreans. Owning the Optima gave me an inside view. There's a huge recall on both engines in my car... long story short they have manufacturing flaws that send loose flashings into the oil. Bye bye engine. I've probably seen 20 or so failures on the (awful) FB groups over the last year. And when I took it in to get a wastegate adjustment (another TSB) there were a couple at the dealer getting engine replacements. And the 2.0T/2.4 were in everything in those days.

So sure those people were covered... but I'd rather not have to go through that hassle in the first place. I'm sure H/K learned their lesson from that... but I'd still want to give them a generation or two to prove themselves. On paper they look really good and they are really playing ball with incentives......... but that's gotta be for a reason IMO

9. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      07-29-2019 11:01 AM #108
      I can't speak for him as I don't trust the Germans either

But going forward the way I look at cars is what I'd want to own out of warranty. That's still a hell no for the Koreans. Owning the Optima gave me an inside view. There's a huge recall on both engines in my car... long story short they have manufacturing flaws that send loose flashings into the oil. Bye bye engine. I've probably seen 20 or so failures on the (awful) FB groups over the last year. And when I took it in to get a wastegate adjustment (another TSB) there were a couple at the dealer getting engine replacements. And the 2.0T/2.4 were in everything in those days.

So sure those people were covered... but I'd rather not have to go through that hassle in the first place. I'm sure H/K learned their lesson from that... but I'd still want to give them a generation or two to prove themselves. On paper they look really good and they are really playing ball with incentives......... but that's gotta be for a reason IMO
      The incentives are due to the Genesis brand having no traction, much like Lexus having to price at bargain basement levels when they first launched. I can't speak to the reliability of the Optima--that sounds awful.

Cars
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      07-29-2019 02:10 PM #109
      Still up in the air if Acura has fixed the ZF 9 speed. Look up the cost of a transmission fluid change which is important for its longevity.

G70 has a 10 year warranty. Don’t even have to worry.

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      07-30-2019 02:12 PM #110
      I have to come clean- I have had a '16 SH-AWD Tech for about a month and I am really enjoying it
      Nice choice. The pre-facelift TLX SH-AWD has always interested me, though I've only driven the 2.4. The price is certainly right. That said, the seats of the refreshed A-spec almost make it worth buying.

The internet talks about driveline imbalance issues with the AWD system... any insight there? How's it compare to your old G37?
      Last edited by Samson; 07-30-2019 at 02:18 PM.

12. Member
      Cars
      07-30-2019 03:11 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Nice choice. The pre-facelift TLX SH-AWD has always interested me, though I've only driven the 2.4. The price is certainly right. That said, the seats of the refreshed A-spec almost make it worth buying.

The internet talks about driveline imbalance issues with the AWD system... any insight there? How's it compare to your old G37?
      I haven't felt any imbalances with the AWD system. It just puts the power down. No weird delays or scariness. Just confidence with a side of fun. I'd say as much fun as the G with its VLSD without that last bit of fear that comes with RWD.

It's been over a year so I'm going from memory... but the biggest difference with the G was probably the gearing. In this gears 1-2-3 are probably 30-60-90. In the G it was more like 25-50-80 I think. Plus on top of that the G revved higher, so to get those lower speeds it had to be geared even more aggressively. So it definitely had more off the line/low gear rip. But that probably didn't help gas mileage.

Dynamically I think the G steered quicker, but both are pretty accurate and devoid of feel. On stock suspension the TLX is definitely more sorted, though with coilovers the G was just amazing on the street. At the track the G was surprisingly squishy and understeery but that's not relevant. I do plan to get coilovers probably around September-October... thinking that + the 20s off the Optima will dial the chassis in. Eventually I want to move back to 19s like I had on the G... that was a good balance for ride, handling and looks.

Day to day it's probably even. TLX feels better put together inside and has more toys... but the G had nice touches like the sport seats with the adjustable bolster and extending leg cushions, and the engine would rock just a hair side to side on startup, which always made me smile. G was also noticeably bigger inside too; they really knocked the packaging out of the park with it. I think I prefer the TLX' looks though. Need to get it all set up to really compare.

If I could go back in time I would probably still pick the G and just eat the damn gas mileage, but the TLX is a worthy alternative if you can live with the smaller interior and slightly less potent powertrain. In exchange you get significantly better gas mileage (damn near 50% better) and all weather confidence. Overall I'm a fan.
      Last edited by CTK; 07-30-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Cars
      07-31-2019 08:14 AM #112
      I haven't felt any imbalances with the AWD system. It just puts the power down. No weird delays or scariness. Just confidence with a side of fun. I'd say as much fun as the G with its VLSD without that last bit of fear that comes with RWD.

It's been over a year so I'm going from memory... but the biggest difference with the G was probably the gearing. In this gears 1-2-3 are probably 30-60-90. In the G it was more like 25-50-80 I think. Plus on top of that the G revved higher, so to get those lower speeds it had to be geared even more aggressively. So it definitely had more off the line/low gear rip. But that probably didn't help gas mileage.
      By imbalance, I mean the driveshaft (or something related) isn't balanced properly and causes a vibration at various speeds. Sounds like that's not an issue for you though.

It seems like a good choice for a car though. Interesting that it's smaller inside than the G... I just assumed that since it's an Accord, it would be huge inside. Looking at the specs, it has about an inch and a half less combined legroom than the Infiniti and about 5% less interior volume. All in a package that's a few inches longer. Weird.

I'll be curious to see how you like it. I keep going back and forth on selling my '07 G35S, and the TLX has always been up at the top of the list. My issue is that I like the DCT more than the 9-speed, but I like the 3.5 a lot more than the 2.4. The better balance of the 2.4 is also appealing. Still, I'd like to see how the refreshed 2.4 A-Spec drives. But then again, the lack of legroom might knock this off of the list. The G is barely big enough, and unless the seatbacks are designed really well and allow for more car seat room than the specs suggest, the TLX might not even work.

14. Member
      Cars
      07-31-2019 08:55 AM #113
      Ah you know what there might be an imbalance. There's definitely some vibration, though I chalked that up to the VCM system everyone seems to hate.

Its sizing is weird. It's the same length as my Optima but the Optima easily has another ~3-4" of leg room. I've been in the back of a 9th gen Accord and it was similarly much bigger inside. We just barely fit. There are some smaller options for car seats though... if #2 comes I will probably look into it then.

As far as what permutation to get... either get the 2.4 or the SH-AWD. The 3.5 seems to be the worse of both worlds... the ZF9, heft and loss of agility of going from the 2.4 to the 3.5 without the traction and regained agility of SH-AWD. I only drove my car as I had written FWD off... but coming from a G (yours is AWD right?) I think you should also just focus on the SH-AWD. Actually reminds me of a G35x I drove years ago.

I am surprised you are not into the GS? That seems like an obvious G successor. In any case keep me posted

Cars
      07-31-2019 09:40 AM #114
      Ah you know what there might be an imbalance. There's definitely some vibration, though I chalked that up to the VCM system everyone seems to hate.

Its sizing is weird. It's the same length as my Optima but the Optima easily has another ~3-4" of leg room. I've been in the back of a 9th gen Accord and it was similarly much bigger inside. We just barely fit. There are some smaller options for car seats though... if #2 comes I will probably look into it then.

As far as what permutation to get... either get the 2.4 or the SH-AWD. The 3.5 seems to be the worse of both worlds... the ZF9, heft and loss of agility of going from the 2.4 to the 3.5 without the traction and regained agility of SH-AWD. I only drove my car as I had written FWD off... but coming from a G (yours is AWD right?) I think you should also just focus on the SH-AWD. Actually reminds me of a G35x I drove years ago.

I am surprised you are not into the GS? That seems like an obvious G successor. In any case keep me posted
      Huh. I think there's some solution for the driveline balance issue. I didn't look all that much into it though.

My G35 is RWD. I don't really need or want AWD where I live, though something performance-oriented like SH-AWD could be worth it. I came really close to buying both a RWD GS350 F-Sport and a GS450h, and they're still on the list, but man... that infotainment system is complete ****, and it's not easily fixed (if it even can be). I also wasn't blown away by the build quality on the 3-4 that I drove.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2019 09:46 AM #115
      I won't buy another Acura for me (and hopefully not for my wife, but you know, wives) until they put some real brakes under the things. Three stops from 80-50 in my TSX left the pedal spongy and the brakes juddering. They suck.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

17. Member
      Cars
      07-31-2019 10:12 AM #116
      If you were on stock pads/rotors/fluid with that kind of driving some of that is on you brah.

FWIW I don't notice the brakes on the TLX, which to me says they work well enough. My commute is pretty easy compared to the DMV though (God bless you)

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2019 11:05 AM #117
      If you were on stock pads/rotors/fluid with that kind of driving some of that is on you brah.
      Eh? Normal suburban highway driving requires brakes upgrades? Note that my freaking Jeep Wrangler has no problem with the same stops, and it weighs a whole lot more with ZERO sporting pretensions.

FWIW I don't notice the brakes on the TLX, which to me says they work well enough. My commute is pretty easy compared to the DMV though (God bless you)
      Chicago metro area. Not sure what DMV is?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      C4S & Taco
      07-31-2019 11:52 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I won't buy another Acura for me (and hopefully not for my wife, but you know, wives) until they put some real brakes under the things. Three stops from 80-50 in my TSX left the pedal spongy and the brakes juddering. They suck.
      My big ass dad mobile, Pilot, does the same thing. Every time it happens I think, "did I just really destroy a set of brakes? G.D. Honda." The last time we drove it down from the North Shore of Tahoe, it actually scared me.

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      07-31-2019 01:08 PM #119
      I get the vibrations around 70 MPH as well. Definitely feels like a mild case of bad wheel balance, I also blamed the VCM/cylinder deactivation. Luckily I tend to cruise more around 80, by which point the vibration ends.

I really have no issues with the ZF9 in my 18. it’s also MUCH MUCH smoother in traffic/stop and go than the DSG I had in my MK7 for example.

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      07-31-2019 03:23 PM #120
      Good discussion here, love me some Japanese sedans!

No love for the Q50 RS? I know steer-by-wire is an option to avoid, big aftermarket with AMS (bolt-ons, ECU tune, rear LSD, etc.). Too heavy?

Will Acura finally produce a real TLX Type S with 3.5L TTV6 from NSX & wake from the dead?
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

22. Member
      Cars
      07-31-2019 03:30 PM #121
      I'm weary about such intensive modifications on a daily driver. Adds a lot of cost as well. TLX already has torque vectoring and is fast enough to cruise comfortably on the highway. All I really want is an intake for noise and coilovers/wheels for looks and handling. I think I'd rather eat the age and get a stickshift G35/G37 before a Q50RS.

Cars
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      07-31-2019 04:00 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Good discussion here, love me some Japanese sedans!

No love for the Q50 RS? I know steer-by-wire is an option to avoid, big aftermarket with AMS (bolt-ons, ECU tune, rear LSD, etc.). Too heavy?

Will Acura finally produce a real TLX Type S with 3.5L TTV6 from NSX & wake from the dead?
      allegedly there's some turbo'd V6 coming but i haven't checked ToV for any additional info
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Cars
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      07-31-2019 09:31 PM #123
      The problem with the TLX is that the accord is all around a better car. The tech is way better.

They need to make an Acura Accord with 2.0T/10spd and AWD, price it around 42-46 and sell like crazy.
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

25. Member
      Cars
      08-01-2019 07:04 AM #124
      I am on a big 10th gen Accord FB group (the best place to see what's really up with cars, but also a collection of society's street racing scum). The tech is its Achilles' heel. The driver assistance stuff gets confused and can be a pain. And the new infotainment system locks up and freezes on people. My boss has one and has had some un-Honda like niggles over the last year.

Plus a big NA V6 + torque vectored AWD will always >>>>>>> a turbo 4 with peg leg FWD, even if the FWD + 2.0T is a hair faster. I think the next ILX should have SH-AWD + the 2.0T... but the next TLX needs a V6TT with SH-AWD and a DCT to top the range.

26. Member
      Cars
      08-01-2019 07:09 AM #125
      Sidebar- with the quasi extremely good highway mileage this thing achieves it's super sensitive to tire pressure. I hit 30MPG on a commute a while back when pressures averaged 33-34 PSI... it's a little cooler and pressures have dropped to about 30-31 PSI average and I've only been able to hit 28 or so

This does not bode well for the 20s I took off the Optima I plan to throw on. A hair wider (245s vs 225), stickier (UHP A/S vs prob grand touring now) and probably a good bit heavier. I guess there's only way to find it. Maybe I'll love the look so much I won't care... or I'll get the best of both worlds (minimal FE impact and phenomenal looks)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast