Fourtitude.com - Maodys TT-RS on Nordschleife (and maybe other tracks)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      04-10-2017 04:17 AM #1
      According to a similar thread in the Golf 7 R section (and having learned that there are some people interested in vids of track driving) I decided to open a new thread here as well for posting my onboards of Nurburgring Nordschleife (and maybe other tracks). Hope here are users as well who have fun with them.

Yesterday - April 9th 2017 - was the first rollout of the TT-RS on my favourite racetrack. I have to say you recognize the difference between the old PQ35 platform of the TT-RS compared to the new MQB platform of the Golf 7 R. The G 7 R is easier to drive fast, the TT requires more work by the driver. Especially the steering is hard to get used to. Here are the first three onboards:

1. Very first lap, still very cautious, not only cause of the new car but cause there are usually slippery track parts early in the morning:

2. 2nd lap - quite fast already, you can see the potential of the car:

3. 3rd lap, though still early in the morning a typical Sunday tourist lap: oilspill in the beginning, yellow lights & flags and a big motorcycle crash in the middle of the lap. Track was closed for nearly 2 hours after that.

More is yet to come, did 11 laps in total...
      2013 MK II TT-RS | Imola Yellow | DSG | HGR Stage 2 = 400 HP | Recaro SPG XL | Schroth 4-Point | Wiechers Clubsport Cage | KW Clubsport 2-way Coil Kit | ATS GTR 9.5 x 18 ET52 w/ 245/40/18 Direzza 03G | Carbopad 370 x 32 & Endless MA46b
      Always fresh onboards from Nürburgring-Nordschleife here: www.youtube.com/user/TheMaody66
      My TT-RS Build: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...2-Maodys-TT-RS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 Golf R DSG/DCC, 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited
      04-10-2017 07:44 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMaOdy66 View Post
      SNIP... 2nd lap - quite fast already, you can see the potential of the car:
      More is yet to come, did 11 laps in total...
      Marcus,
      Certainly can see the potential, which put some big smiles on this old face. Looking really good and looking forward to more videos.
      A great initial start Marcus!
      -Rod

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      04-10-2017 07:48 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
      Marcus,
      Certainly can see the potential, which put some big smiles on this old face. Looking really good and looking forward to more videos.
      A great initial start Marcus!
      -Rod
      Kind thanks, Sir!

My pleasure if it's yours.
      2013 MK II TT-RS | Imola Yellow | DSG | HGR Stage 2 = 400 HP | Recaro SPG XL | Schroth 4-Point | Wiechers Clubsport Cage | KW Clubsport 2-way Coil Kit | ATS GTR 9.5 x 18 ET52 w/ 245/40/18 Direzza 03G | Carbopad 370 x 32 & Endless MA46b
      Always fresh onboards from Nürburgring-Nordschleife here: www.youtube.com/user/TheMaody66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      04-14-2017 09:26 AM #4
      And here are three more vids from The Ring, freshly uploaded today:

1. Murder traffic, lots of overtaking necessary:

2. Following a mate in his Megane RS (fast car - from 3:30)

3. Chasing 2 superfast Meganes through tourist traffic:

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      04-23-2017 03:04 AM #5
      And now, some new vids. Still from 09th of April, the day of the first rollout. The last ones I have from the day.
      Next planned visit is for Sunday 30th of April and surely I will bring new vids with me...

1. A non spectacular lap but in the end the fastest (and cleanest) of the day.
      All in all not that bad for the first try with a never before driven car with ****ty software and handicap weight on the passenger seat (on drivers seat anyway )

2. Another non spectacular but clean and easy lap, only a few thenths slower, done in one go with the other lap, co-driver as well
      If the 991 GT3 RS hadn't left the track at the second (early) exit he may have pulled me to a PB.

3. And last but not least a lap with much more action, sparks sprinkling bikers and some 'crazy' power limo drivers obviously thinking a fat V8 was enough on track
      In the end only a few tenths slower than the best as well.

Last edited by TheMaOdy66; 04-23-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      05-01-2017 05:30 AM #6
      New material ion the YT channel, yesterday touristic driving for me again. Brought some vids with me...

1. One lap behind my norwegian mate Lars in his all stock 991 GTS, chasing a GT3

2. One lap behind another Norwegian buddy, Dag, in his wonderful 'Gulf' 991

3. A lap behind my mate Christian in his Cupra R 290 (stock drivetrain) chasing a Viper ACR

Maybe you have fun watching...

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      05-14-2017 07:43 AM #7
      Three more Nordschleife Onboard vids for those who like.
      All driven with my Norwegian buddies again. Have fun!

1. In the lead of two Porsche 991 (GTS + Carrera)

2. Leading Dag only for a fast lap

3. Following the wonderful 991 'Gulf' Carrera again

Cars
      20th Anniversary GTI
      05-14-2017 04:58 PM #8
      I had a chance to see all the new videos of the TT RS now; great driving. I can see that your lines are sometimes a bit different than they were in the R. Is that because the TT RS is more difficult to drive? I suppose the three newest videos are with the new tires? The tires you had in the earlier videos were quite squeely and noisy. I bet that drove you mad, no pun intended. The new tires seem to make less noise. But is also seems that the TT RS just has more tire noise through the turns than the MKVII R. Do you notice that or is it just me?

I really liked watching you follow the different 911s. Of course the GT3 is such a phenomenally great handler, but Lar's car and Dag's car sure handle very nicely as well. And it appears they have a great knowledge of the 'ring as well. Is Dag's car stock (besides the vinyl paint)? Looked like in that little drag race you two had that your car is a bit faster to 80ish MPH or so and then Dag's car starts pulling on you a little. Must be fun running with these guys and seeing how they vary from your car.

Finally, as I've notice in these videos, and of course those in the MKVII R, it doesn't matter how fast your car is. It matters the skills you possess. Passing GT3s and Ferrari's must feel very satisfying! Happy Sunday

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      05-15-2017 02:35 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 20th875 View Post
      I had a chance to see all the new videos of the TT RS now; great driving. I can see that your lines are sometimes a bit different than they were in the R. Is that because the TT RS is more difficult to drive? I suppose the three newest videos are with the new tires? The tires you had in the earlier videos were quite squeely and noisy. I bet that drove you mad, no pun intended. The new tires seem to make less noise. But is also seems that the TT RS just has more tire noise through the turns than the MKVII R. Do you notice that or is it just me?
      It must be really hard looking all those videos of around 8 minutes length in one go... The lines still differ a bit cause I am still not used to the power understeer while accelerating out of the curves and the understeer while steering into the curves. And - you're right - cause the TT is a bit more difficult to drive. The fact that in the last three vids there is less noise may come from the 'better' lines learning more and more avoiding the understeer. But I drove the same set of tires. The next vids will be with new tires (MPSC2) but I fear the constructional understeer will not get too much less. And yes, I notice that as well and it does not make me happy really...

I really liked watching you follow the different 911s. Of course the GT3 is such a phenomenally great handler, but Lar's car and Dag's car sure handle very nicely as well. And it appears they have a great knowledge of the 'ring as well. Is Dag's car stock (besides the vinyl paint)? Looked like in that little drag race you two had that your car is a bit faster to 80ish MPH or so and then Dag's car starts pulling on you a little. Must be fun running with these guys and seeing how they vary from your car.
      So much fun! Yes, both of the Norwegian guys know the track quite well and Porsches are generally very good track cars from the fabrique. Both cars are totally stock but Dag's car has Pirelli Trofeo R semislicks. Very sharp tires with a huge amount of extra grip. This is the reason why Dag seems to pull away from me after some curves. He can go much better lines and has more grip out of the curves. I had the chance to drive the car once on The Ring for two laps and have to say the traction is phenomenal. Out of the stand (or very slow curves) I have a short advantage from the quattro, then the Porsche is better and in high speed areas I catch up again. Porsche is lighter as well, I think around 100 Kg. And Dag weight is around 40 Kgs less than mine.

Finally, as I've notice in these videos, and of course those in the MKVII R, it doesn't matter how fast your car is. It matters the skills you possess. Passing GT3s and Ferrari's must feel very satisfying! Happy Sunday
      Yes, exactly this is true. Power is not the thing on The Ring if you once have 300 HP in a hot hatch. 100 HP more don't increase your times automatically. And, yes again, it is very satisfying and funny.

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      05-22-2017 03:42 AM #10
      Was on The Ring again yesterday. Though the weather was fantastic (perfect conditions, not too hot, dry & not too cold) and it was a Sunday all was smooth.
      No chaos, no traffic jam, neither on nor off track. And with the new set of tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2) the car behaved like a completely new car. Very
      precise steering in and minimized understeer. Had to learn new steering points into the curves.

In total I did 11 laps, brought some vids with me, three of them I'd like to show:

1. Warm up lap with a wonderful M4 GTS (on his warm up lap as well)

2. Chased by a hell fast Cupra R from France (the driver will upload his onboard after being home again, we'll crosspost)

3. Fastest lap of the day

Slowly I get more and more used to the car and it's getting better. Have fun!

Cars
      2015 Golf R DSG/DCC, 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited
      05-22-2017 09:21 AM #11
      Marcus,
      What a great track day, with everything in your favor and working well. Great to see such track days. Tires sound like a good improvement in handling, will be interesting to hear how many laps you get out of them, before you have to replace them. And speaking of laps, you must be very close to 900 laps now. What is your current lap total?

As always thanks for the video's, Marcus, they always show us things that we can't experience here in the U.S. and we learn from your driving experience videos and comments.
      -Rod

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      05-22-2017 10:28 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
      Marcus,
      What a great track day, with everything in your favor and working well. Great to see such track days. Tires sound like a good improvement in handling, will be interesting to hear how many laps you get out of them, before you have to replace them. And speaking of laps, you must be very close to 900 laps now. What is your current lap total?

As always thanks for the video's, Marcus, they always show us things that we can't experience here in the U.S. and we learn from your driving experience videos and comments.
      -Rod
      I will let you know how long these Cup2 lasted on the TT.
      In total I am at 1.000 + laps. Can't say it exactly on one lap but more than 1.000 is correct anyway.

You know you're always welcome Rod. And it's my pleasure if it's yours.

Cars
      20th Anniversary GTI
      05-22-2017 08:55 PM #13
      I will let you know how long these Cup2 lasted on the TT.
      In total I am at 1.000 + laps. Can't say it exactly on one lap but more than 1.000 is correct anyway.

You know you're always welcome Rod. And it's my pleasure if it's yours.
      Didn't know that you'd completed so many laps but now it makes even more sense because you are so fast around that track. Experience and knowledge inform wise steering input on a tough track. You make it look easy.

Indeed, the tires sound like they are not having to work so hard and you have better control of the car; though I did note the front end got out from under you a bit in that left-hand corner - nice save.

I've also noticed that the cage seems to make less noise. Have you been able to isolate the noise but there is no fix?

Finally, congrats on your new Personal Best. Must feel great to do that so early on in the season. Two big grins for you!

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      05-23-2017 03:00 AM #14
      Didn't know that you'd completed so many laps but now it makes even more sense because you are so fast around that track. Experience and knowledge inform wise steering input on a tough track. You make it look easy.

Indeed, the tires sound like they are not having to work so hard and you have better control of the car; though I did note the front end got out from under you a bit in that left-hand corner - nice save.

I've also noticed that the cage seems to make less noise. Have you been able to isolate the noise but there is no fix?

Finally, congrats on your new Personal Best. Must feel great to do that so early on in the season. Two big grins for you!
      He he, you are the first to notice my little power understeer mistake in that left-hand. Shortly going from the throttle and opening the steering was all what was to do to keep it back in line again to be honest.
      And you're totally right, it is all about experience and seat time on Nordschleife (not only there of course). An experienced driver is able to leave less experienced drivers behind although they may have 100 + HP more.
      So the amount of laps - lots of them done with professional advice - makes it look easy. The cage has settled more and more and I think it reached the ground now. The garage told me that this is a normal procedure.

Kind thanks! Yea mate, it's a great feeling if the car begins to work how it should. Let's have a look what might be possible still in the rest of the season.

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      06-03-2017 03:58 AM #15
      Three more laps of the weekend before were uploaded last night. All sub8, have fun.

1. The very first sub8 (short ) with the TT, early in the morning. The first you'll never forget, they say... :wink:

2. Another one, even short sub8 as the first, some nice cars met

3. Faster than the others, 2nd fastest of the day, E92 M3 GTS in the end

Cars
      20th Anniversary GTI
      06-04-2017 09:37 PM #16
      You passed that Focus RS twice; not sure he is too happy!!

Looks like when you get a clean track you'll head much lower into the 7s. Awesome!

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      06-05-2017 03:49 AM #17
      You passed that Focus RS twice; not sure he is too happy!!

Looks like when you get a clean track you'll head much lower into the 7s. Awesome!
      To be honest, I did not meet one really fast Focus RS on The Ring ever.
      If you ask for my oppinion, these are poser cars.

What is possible with clear track maybe we will see in July when I am on a two
      days trackday with open straight and open pitlane. Thanks, buddy!

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      06-16-2017 04:03 AM #18
      You know guys, there is a first time for everything.

Since alle those years I am driving The Ring there was still a premiere for me yesterday. For the very first time I drove the very rare classic Nürburgring 24h Layout of The Ring.
      Only very seldom offered for touristic driving, completely new for me in some parts of the Nürburgring GP course. Surely I took some vids, 3 of them are uploaded already:

1. First lap, a warm up lap trying to get used to the new parts

2. Fastest lap of the day (#under10 :wink: ) and new PB automatically

3. A lap with some strange drivers (3 close calls) and some nice cars (GT3, GT4, GTS...)

Sadly I did not turn the autofocus of the new Samsung Galaxy S7 off. So the video sharpness changes every 10 seconds or so. But the problem is fixed for the next time already.

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      06-18-2017 11:00 AM #19
      I added three more vids of the touristic driving on the very rare and exciting 25 Kms long '24h Layout' of The Ring last Thursday.
      More or less spectacular. Sadly with the same issues concerning the autofocus which I really apologize for...

1. "vs" 2 Focus II RS driving in formation

2. Chasing a Cayman GT4 who gave in lately @the Klostertal-Curve and an M4 GTS (that gave in early)

3. With an M3 E46 CSL and another spectacular looking BMW (anyone knows which one was that blue BMW?) who both didn't want to play sadly. More traffic and 3 Yellow Flag zones

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      07-06-2017 11:16 AM #20
      Been on a two day trackday yesterday and the day before. Day 1 is guided driving in small groups
      of 4-6 cars behind professional racedrivers as instructors.
      Day 2 is mainly free driving with open pitlane and open straight. So you can drive the 2,8 Kms long
      straight called 'Dottinger Hohe' which is not drivable while touristic driving (that's the reason why you
      mainly see 'Bridge to Gantry' videos of The Ring). Brought lots of videos of 28
      laps I did in total. Some of them are uploaded already, some will be uploaded later. Two of them I
      like to link here, 2 new Personal Bests, one for the 'BtG' layout, one for the 'full track' layout.
      Hope you have fun.

1. New PB for the 'full track' layout (a 991 GT3 RS pulling me a bit):

2. New PB for the 'BtG' layout (a Lotus Exige S Clubsport w/ 450 HP pulling me from carousel):

You know, as always, liking is not forbidden - as well as subscribing to the channel. :wink:

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      07-07-2017 07:27 AM #21
      Two more vids of the same trackday, guided driving now. Only for you to get an idea how the guided driving works.
      Groups of 4-6 cars, mine had 5 cars. The beginning usually is kinda slow for all to get used to The Ring again.
      And then the speed increases lap for lap. These following two are pretty fast already.

Guided Lap 1

Guided Lap 2

Cars
      20th Anniversary GTI
      07-07-2017 06:08 PM #22
      Following that Carrera RSR is a sight to behold. What a beauty. The driver appears to know the track well as the lines they are drawing really suit the car. And the car is so flat, just like a go-cart!
      Last edited by 20th875; 07-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      07-08-2017 03:14 AM #23
      Following that Carrera RSR is a sight to behold. What a beauty. The driver appears to know the track well as the lines they are drawing really suit the car. And the car is so flat, just like a go-cart!
      And Dat Sound....

Yes, a fast driver who had a 997 GT3 RS before (or has in addition, did'nt understand
      this right) and is a real Nordschleife Crack. If you ask for my oppinion one of the nicest
      Porsches ever built. And so much fun to be behind him, see the car work and hear the
      sound...

Cars
      20th Anniversary GTI
      07-08-2017 12:49 PM #24
      And Dat Sound....

Yes, a fast driver who had a 997 GT3 RS before (or has in addition, did'nt understand
      this right) and is a real Nordschleife Crack. If you ask for my oppinion one of the nicest
      Porsches ever built. And so much fun to be behind him, see the car work and hear the
      sound...
      You are right, the sound! Pretty glorious. And the work that car can do, it is a pure handling machine.

Cars
      2013 TT-RS Coupé
      07-10-2017 06:35 AM #25
      Going on...

I added three more laps of the guided driving part of the trackday, each of them w/ me driving
      directly behind the instructor in his Mercedes A45 AMG (FL - 381 HP). All of them pretty fast but
      the fastest one was that lap after which the instructor said he was not able to go 1 second faster.
      But one has to say that 8:11 BtG is hell fast for driving in the group with a completely stock car
      (even if it is an AMG) on wooden tires (Dunlop SportMaxx). For this the instructor did a fantastic
      job to be honest.

1. TT-RS & A 45 AMG I (8:24 BtG):

2. TT-RS & A 45 AMG II (8:27 BtG):

3. TT-RS & A 45 AMG III (8:11 BtG):

Enjoy!
      Last edited by TheMaOdy66; 07-10-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast