Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-16-2017 01:41 PM #1
      The Xterra is over 10 years old and has 120,000 miles on it. It can go a bit longer but I'm starting to look an what can replace it with. Car will probably be traded in unless I have a relative that wants it.

The vehicles I have thought about (all new):

Acura MDX: Mixed on the Acura Design
      Audi Q7: Really like the 2017 model on paper although have not driven it yet
      *Chevy Traverse 2018: Will have to wait and see but looks good so far
      Dodge Durango: Love this vehicle but worried about reliability and no free loaner if under warranty
      *Ford Expedition 2018: 2017 is nice and almost purchased one but wanted to wait for the updated model. Bigger than really needed
      *Land Rover Discovery 2017: Waiting to see it in person but is looks really nice
      Land Rover Discovery Sport: When I saw the Discovery I found this car. Similar size to Xterra which might make it to small
      Mazda CX9: Good size and very comfortable
      *VW Atlas: Waiting to see it in person

List of requirements:
      Seating for 5 adults with +2 option for kids for short trips
      Moderate off road ability (6-9 inches of snow and forest access road capable)
      AWD or 4x4 system that can be on at highway speeds (forget to turn off)

For the Dodge I know I mentioned reliability but then have Land Rover listed. Land Rover dealer has free loaner vehicles which is needed if the car is in the shop for a week or more where as Dodge does not offer that. Minivans were removed because of ground clearance.

Right now I'm really leaning toward trying to get the Land Rover Discovery Sport or Land Rover Discovery with the Audi Q7 coming in second.

What I want to know is the Car Lounge opinions on these vehicles or if I'm missing any I should be checking out when I start my shopping this year!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      03-16-2017 03:19 PM #2
      What's your budget?
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-16-2017 04:06 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      What's your budget?
      Considering he has a Q7 and Discovery Sport on the list, I'd guess that mid-50s would be a ballpark.

03-16-2017 04:25 PM #4
      4Runner Limited fits the bill
      Cheers,
      Conrad

Cars
      997 C2, XC70
      03-16-2017 10:54 PM #5
      Why not an XC90?

03-16-2017 11:13 PM #6
      4runner TRD pro

http://www.toyota.com/trdpro/#!/4runner/

Will just be getting broken in 10 years from now, at which point you can choose to sell it for top dollar, or spontaneously drive it to the end of the earth with little worry about reliability.

Starts at only $42k

8. 03-17-2017 03:45 AM #7
      Lightly used Toyota Land Cruiser. You know you want to. Will probably still be running after you are gone.

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      03-17-2017 07:16 AM #8
      Xc90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      03-17-2017 07:33 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      Why not an XC90?
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Xc90.
      k
      Agree, the X90 is a great choice.

Cars
      2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2011 Toyota Camry LE, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      03-17-2017 10:16 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      4runner TRD pro

http://www.toyota.com/trdpro/#!/4runner/

Will just be getting broken in 10 years from now, at which point you can choose to sell it for top dollar, or spontaneously drive it to the end of the earth with little worry about reliability.

Starts at only $42k
      Seems like serious overkill for this guy's situation. I'd go for the limited if you don't need locking diffs and fancy shocks for serious offroading. I don't think the TRD pro has the 3rd row option either.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)
      2010 VW GTI

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-20-2017 09:00 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Grip Driver View Post
      4Runner Limited fits the bill
      Looked at the 4Runner and the 3rd row is not usable even for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      What's your budget?
      I have a wide range but around 40-60K depending on options

Quote Originally Posted by peevish1 View Post
      Lightly used Toyota Land Cruiser. You know you want to. Will probably still be running after you are gone.
      Actually I had thought of doing this but they are still a really expensive option and get horrible gas mileage compared to everything including my 05 Xterra that averages about 14MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Xc90.
      I actually had thought about this but my wife is not a fan of the looks and it would be really hard to convince her to get one.

Just some more information. I plan on keeping this car for 10 years if it is not in the shop all the time (Land Rover) and for some I would buy the extra warranty as a precaution. As I hope to have the car 10+ years I need something can is ready for my kids (11 and 7) to take them to college and be comfortable holding adults in the second row and teens in the third row for short drives when we have friends or family over and want to head out.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-31-2017 01:03 PM #12
      I'm bumping my own thread here instead of starting a new one.

I think I'm down to two options:

2017 Ford Expedition Limited: The deals are crazy on this and I have a quote of $50,500. While it does not have all the tech features the car should be a solid long term vehicle with loads of space.

2018 VW Atlas: As I would be looking at one fully loaded with 4Motion it would be around 49K so both vehicles are close in price. This gets slightly better MPG (17 vs 15 city) and has a lot more technology. I'm worried about a first year model vehicle and any teething issues especially if I purchased one this early. The space is smaller but still good and while I did check one out I felt the third row was usable.

What are your thoughts on these two vehicles? Others have been eliminated for other reasons so I'm really only considering these two now.

14. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-31-2017 03:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      I'm worried about a first year model vehicle and any teething issues especially if I purchased one this early.
      FWIW I've seen multiple Atlas listed on cars.com with their CEL and EPC illuminated in the pics. Not very reassuring.

You seem like a good candidate for a Mazda CX-9.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      05-31-2017 03:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      FWIW I've seen multiple Atlas listed on cars.com with their CEL and EPC illuminated in the pics. Not very reassuring.

You seem like a good candidate for a Mazda CX-9.
      Hmm that was what I'm afraid of. I prefer the size of the Atlas and functionality but I'm worried about it being in the shop often and the VW dealers near me are not great when it comes to service after the initial purchase.

The CX-9 was on my list but when I checked it out I didn't like that the 3rd row seats are right next to the back glass due to the angle of the roofline. Also it is missing Android Auto which has become more and more important with how long we keep cars and how often we change phones.

I also have been debating on waiting for the Subaru but again I'm worried about a brand new model and I'm worried it will be priced in the high 50s when loaded with the way Subaru's can jump up in price with options. I also don't want to wait as I've had a few issues in my current car and during trips we are running out of space for luggage.

Cars
      2013 WRX Hatch; Hyundai Veracruz
      05-31-2017 04:12 PM #15
      Ford Flex?

If my wife's Hyundai ever dies, i think the CX9 and Flex will top the potential replacement list.

Cars
      It varies.
      05-31-2017 04:24 PM #16
      GM GMT 900 Tahoe, Suburban or Yukon.

If you're willing to buy a lightly used one, you should be able to pocket some cash out of your budget, or just buy a new one.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

18. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      05-31-2017 04:45 PM #17
      At the risk of being boring, the Toyota Highlander will probably fit your needs just fine and is great for road trips.

Cars
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      05-31-2017 11:23 PM #18
      FWIW I've seen multiple Atlas listed on cars.com with their CEL and EPC illuminated in the pics.
      Umm...that's what happens if you turn the ignition to run to show the odometer reading. Unless you can tell that the engine is running in the pic it's literally nothing. Have you never owned an OBD-II vehicle?
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 745GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

20. 06-01-2017 02:45 AM #19
      Ford Explorer Sport - decent 3 row seating, near end of production cycle so probably bugs have been worked out
      Dont know much about them but dodge durango seems decent as well

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      06-01-2017 06:23 AM #20
      Atlas or Explorer? I'd also take a look at the new Nissan Armada...
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      06-01-2017 09:46 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by SLC_Punker View Post
      Ford Flex?

If my wife's Hyundai ever dies, i think the CX9 and Flex will top the potential replacement list.
      I like the Flex but my wife hates it so it is out.

I want to like the CX9 but it seems to be missing at least two things. Larger third row and Android Auto. Actually a third is cooled/ventilated seats.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      GM GMT 900 Tahoe, Suburban or Yukon.

If you're willing to buy a lightly used one, you should be able to pocket some cash out of your budget, or just buy a new one.
      New ones have reliability issues and I'm not a fan of the old ones. I want a vehicle with fold flat seats so I don't have to take them out to haul stuff.

At the risk of being boring, the Toyota Highlander will probably fit your needs just fine and is great for road trips.
      I have looked at this multiple times and even though I usually could not care less about a dash that thing is horrendous looking inside. Also no Android Auto so all Toyota vehicles have been eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by toast. View Post
      Ford Explorer Sport - decent 3 row seating, near end of production cycle so probably bugs have been worked out
      Dont know much about them but dodge durango seems decent as well
      Looked at the Explorer and it is a decent vehicle but it feels small inside (I think the pillars a really large) and the second row leg room was low compared to others. The third row is really good which might be why the second row seems shorter.

Durango was eliminated due to being a Dodge product and if it does have warranty issues the dealerships are horrible to work with. I loved the Jeep Grand Cherokee I had but I really can't have a vehicle that is in the shop that much.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Atlas or Explorer? I'd also take a look at the new Nissan Armada...
      Looked at the Armada and found the Expedition to be a better value and also the Armada gets worse MPG, while this might not seem like a lot when you start getting this low it can add up a lot faster. Expedition gets around slightly better than my Xterra where as the Armada would get worse.

I'm probably going to check out the Atlas this weekend as I saw it at the NY Auto show. Still worried about reliability on a new model but it reminds me of the Q7 but 15K cheaper (comparably equipped).

23. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      06-01-2017 10:16 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jddaigle View Post
      Umm...that's what happens if you turn the ignition to run to show the odometer reading. Unless you can tell that the engine is running in the pic it's literally nothing. Have you never owned an OBD-II vehicle?
      Of course I could tell the engine was running, the CEL/EPC is in the middle of the tach. No other startup warning lights were on either.

Cars
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      06-01-2017 07:39 PM #23
      Of course I could tell the engine was running, the CEL/EPC is in the middle of the tach. No other startup warning lights were on either.
      It could also be that the picture was taken within ~10 seconds of starting the car. Both of those lights take a little bit to turn off.

I guess my larger point is WTF you would think that a DEALER selling a NEW car would put up photos documenting a serious problem? I guess if you start with the assumption that all VWs are trash (and you want to make sure everybody knows what you think) I can understand your logic, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 745GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

Cars
      2013 Jetta 2.5, 2015 Mazda3
      06-01-2017 08:17 PM #24
      Lol.

Anyways, OP I think you should keep the CX-9 on your list, did you test drive it with people in the 3rd row? And Mazda has some kind of software fix/option/patch to add CarPlay/Android Auto to future and existing vehicles. https://www.cars.com/articles/mazda-...1420694439589/

Cars
      2008 Cadillac STS-V, 2016 Colorado
      06-02-2017 01:10 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by SLC_Punker View Post
      Ford Flex?

Don't do it. The Flex is a nightmare. Best friend bought one, had tons of trouble, sold it, and new owner had even more trouble. They seem great, drive great, look great, but aren't great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast