Fourtitude.com - I believe someone just gave me a Scout II.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      02-23-2017 01:25 PM #1
      I was out at a farm in the middle of nowhere, helping this older couple move some tractor implements off of trailer, and inquired about this old, beat up, yellow and white Scout. I'm not familiar with them, but when I did a google search, I found what appeared to match the one I was given. The woman said that it was the first vehicle her and her husband had purchased together and that they just celebrated 42 of marriage today. She said she'd love to see me do something with it, so said its mine, and she'd go pull the title to give to me at a later date.

So, I just need to go pick it up. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pull an 85jetta and stuff it behind my garage until I can get to it, as I have the Camaro and the Bug ahead of it.

I don't know what engine it has, as I didn't have time to fiddle with getting the hood open. My hope is to find a decent running engine and trans that I can make bullet proof with a modern ignition and tuneup parts. I'll try my hand at stuffing the seats and installing newcovers, and hope to just leave it as a top off, fair weather cruiser.

Anyways, that's how my day is going. How's yours?

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG (for sale) | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      02-23-2017 01:36 PM #2
      You utter bastard

Fix it up and you could sell it out here for 20k easily.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      02-23-2017 01:45 PM #3
      Wow.

Why does this never happen to me?

Don't start messing with it until you get the title signed over.

Cars
      '18 Lease
      02-23-2017 01:46 PM #4
      This has roadkill written all over it!

TurboMinivan - it that his name?

6. 02-23-2017 01:47 PM #5
      Looks like it's a 73, luckily it looks like the windshield frame is still in pretty good shape since you can't really find those anywhere. There are still a good number of light line dealers which makes it pretty easy to find parts but I don't think most of them are near you. Check out binder planet if you really want to get into all that stuff, they're usually pretty helpful when it comes to someone trying to save one of those.

7. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Cars
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      02-23-2017 01:57 PM #6
      Looks pretty wasted. Chop it up and build something weird?

8. Member
      Cars
      2016 Chevy Tahoe LT
      02-23-2017 02:01 PM #7
      I can tell you right off the bat, it's gonna need new tires... you're welcome

Cars
      q
      02-23-2017 02:24 PM #8
      These are so cool. The vintage off roader market is on the upswing huge. I like these a lot in particular.
      Brad D.

Listen to our Podcast here....
      http://shoutengine.com/AutoOffTopic/

10. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-23-2017 02:26 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Why does this never happen to me?
      Hang out with me more. It's happened to me quite a few times.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
      Cars
      '18 VW Alltrack, '15 Outback Limited
      02-23-2017 02:37 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      You utter bastard

And you will spend at least that much chasing down the rust in it. Scouts are cool but you can watch them rust. Look at that one.

Go read up on Binder Planet

12. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-23-2017 03:03 PM #11
      Those are wonderful and tough as nails. My brother had a '64 and while he could break some things on it, he couldn't kill it outright. Believe me, he tried. This would've been in the mid '70s, so it was really solid. I haven't seen one in years now, as they've all rusted away here in the Midwest. Sigh.

It looks pretty good, so do something nice to it and don't listen to Emmet. Not that anyone would, of course.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-23-2017 03:04 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      And you will spend at least that much chasing down the rust in it. Scouts are cool but you can watch them rust. Look at that one.

Go read up on Binder Planet
      If you're paying someone to fix it by the hour, sure. If you can cut and weld it won't cost too much at all. At least not in dollars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      02-23-2017 03:13 PM #13
      You utter bastard

Sounds like a hell of a deal for the next guy. Put $30K into it and get $20K out of it.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '13 Mazda3, '10 Mini Clubman, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      02-23-2017 03:26 PM #14
      I noticed the decal on the back, which says XLC. Looking that up on the Goog, looks like it's at least a '75. XLC stood for eXtra Load Capacity, basically allowing it to skirt emission laws introduced in '75, by giving it a higher GVWR. Similar to what Chevy did with the Big 10 half-tons in the mid-late 70's.

The math makes sense if the couple just celebrated 42 years of marriage, which would have been in 1975. So my bet is it's a '75

edit: another quick Google-fu shows that the '76 has a distinct grille (horizontal slats, arranged in 3 sections) which this does not have. '77+ are a different grille, so it's definitely a '75
      Last edited by Stevo12; 02-23-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      02-23-2017 03:28 PM #15
      If you don't have time or room for it, you can give it to me. I still have a dead spot in my lawn where my K5 Blazer sat for 11 years. My mkIV is currently sitting there, but I'd gladly kick it our for a Scout II. I Scout IIs

17. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      02-23-2017 03:48 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Sounds like a hell of a deal for the next guy. Put $30K into it and get $20K out of it.
      But it's an investment.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      02-23-2017 03:58 PM #17
      Riiight. I guess if you farm out everything you could spend 30 grand, but hey what do I know
      Last edited by MylesPH1; 02-23-2017 at 04:01 PM.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

02-23-2017 04:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I noticed the decal on the back, which says XLC. Looking that up on the Goog, looks like it's at least a '75. XLC stood for eXtra Load Capacity, basically allowing it to skirt emission laws introduced in '75, by giving it a higher GVWR. Similar to what Chevy did with the Big 10 half-tons in the mid-late 70's.

The math makes sense if the couple just celebrated 42 years of marriage, which would have been in 1975. So my bet is it's a '75

edit: another quick Google-fu shows that the '76 has a distinct grille (horizontal slats, arranged in 3 sections) which this does not have. '77+ are a different grille, so it's definitely a '75
      You're quite the sleuth. It is, in fact, a 1975.

I found quarters for under $300/ side, and the floors appear to be good.

I will likely remove the roof, install the roll cage and drive it as close to stock as possible. I'll also add the back seats.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG (for sale) | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      02-23-2017 04:22 PM #19
      Riiight. I guess if you farm out everything you could spend 30 grand, but hey what do I know
      Even doing it yourself what do you think you'd have into that truck? (I exaggerated the $30K but I think at best you'd break even).

I could see on the cheap end $10K in body work along with replacement panels/welding/replacement frame or frame repair/paint.

Sorry, I just disagree as these things sell in the low to mid teens for anything remotely used and $20-25K for a nicely restored or original great condition unmolested example.

I don't see a real chance to turn a profit here with what that thing would need to get to a value of $20+ thousand. But hey, what do I know.
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 02-23-2017 at 04:28 PM.
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      2002 M5, 2001 M3(x2), 2000 528i, 1992 Toyota 4WD Pickup, 2002 Sequoia, 1991 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      02-23-2017 05:15 PM #20
      Save it please! I love internationals.

22. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      02-23-2017 05:26 PM #21
      Even doing it yourself what do you think you'd have into that truck? (I exaggerated the $30K but I think at best you'd break even).

I could see on the cheap end $10K in body work along with replacement panels/welding/replacement frame or frame repair/paint.

Sorry, I just disagree as these things sell in the low to mid teens for anything remotely used and $20-25K for a nicely restored or original great condition unmolested example.

I don't see a real chance to turn a profit here with what that thing would need to get to a value of $20+ thousand. But hey, what do I know.
      I agree. For whatever reason Scouts seem to be the bottom dwellers of the vintage 4x4 market. Blazers FJ-40s Jeeps and Broncos all go for much more money when they are fixed up. Ramchargers and Trail Dusters may be down there too but that is because no one really wants a Dodge.

23. 02-23-2017 05:31 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Benzina! View Post
      This has roadkill written all over it!
      Damn straight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Benzina! View Post
      TurboMinivan - it that his name?
      Thanks for beating me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It looks pretty good, so do something nice to it and don't listen to Emmet.
      I'd say this is good advice. (Sorry, Emm.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      My hope is to find a decent running engine and trans that I can make bullet proof with a modern ignition and tuneup parts. I'll try my hand at stuffing the seats and installing newcovers, and hope to just leave it as a top off, fair weather cruiser.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I will likely remove the roof, install the roll cage and drive it as close to stock as possible.
      I know you aren't getting to it right away, but here is my suggestion. Do the following, in this order:

#1: after verifying the engine still turns over, see if it will start and run without any ominous noises.
      #2: once you know it can run, install a set of good tires (perhaps on different wheels, depending how you feel).
      #3: do your tune-up and maintenance stuff so that the engine will run reasonably well.
      #4: drive it to uncover any other mechanical issues (brakes, suspension, etc).
      #5: once #4 has been completely addressed, recondition the bench seat (or swap in something else) and start going places.

I wouldn't even worry about the body rot or the paint. Just put lights (and whatever else is required) in the thing and go.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      02-23-2017 05:42 PM #23

I can't speak for your area, but out here things like Scouts and old Broncos consistently sell for, well, too much in my opinion.. but we've turned rusted out Karman Ghias, common old Chevys and Fords back into solid cars without spending a ton. The replacement panels for Scouts don't seem to be terribly expensive.

Having said that, don't get me wrong - assuming you're doing the work but consider your own time as valuable, I would agree there isn't a ton of room for a profit. But as an enjoyable project, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

25. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-23-2017 05:44 PM #24
      This thing really needs a TDI.

Cars
      02-23-2017 05:47 PM #25
      But as an enjoyable project, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
      Agreed 100%. I'd put some time into it and enjoy it for sure. But i'd just do so knowing that best case scenario i'd be lucky to break even on every dime i'm putting into it along the way.

Should be a fun project, I love old 70s/80s trucks and SUVs.

I learned to drive in a 66 Bronco off-road on my parents' property. Dad had various square body Chevy trucks, one really nice lifted chocolate brown 1977 step-side GMC with a roll bar and push bar. I'd love to snag one but prices for square bodies around here are stupid, i'm not sure if they're any better down in the States. I might have an idea as to where his actual truck is currently residing, should scrape some loose change together and throw an offer at the guy some day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast