Fourtitude.com - My 1984 Rabbit GTI build thread: Haldex + 2.1L + GTX3584RS + E85.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      02 GTI 1.8T, 07 Audi Q7 3.6, 84 GTI 8V, 04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T-ret, 91 Wolfsburg Jetta 8v-ret
      03-15-2017 01:25 PM #76
      Here's a link to the short-runner unequal length manifold experiment.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...xperiment.html

Below is a comparison with a RevHard T3 Cast manifold with 0.63 A/R turbine housing and his custom short-runner unequal length T4 TS with 1.06 A/R. As you can see, the short-runner spooled 400 RPMs sooner even with the larger T4 1.06 A/R turbine housing!

Quote Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo;
      WOW, I am impressed with the initial results. I did not change anything on the tune and just ran the setup as it was with old tune running the 0.63 a/r t3 housing. So what where the results?
      ~400rpm increase in spool with the new 1.06 a/r T4 twinscroll.
      3.5krpm
      +21hp/+29ft/lbs/
      4krpm
      +56hp/+65ft/lbs
      5krpm
      +50hp/+51ft/lbs
      6krpm
      +36hp/+31ft/lbs
      7krpm
      +25hp/+13ft/lbs
      I need to give Tom a chance to work his magic before posting any graphs, but with no change in tune(timing) the car makes 24.4psi at ~4000rpm and previously made 24.5psi at ~4400rpm.
      In all honesty I was also surprised. Knowing that timing and fuel tuning will only make spool better I am happy with the results. The pic below is the .63 a/r T3 OS vs. 1.06 a/r T4 TS untuned. Also, keep in mind this is the RevHard Cast Manifold vs. Short Runner Tubular manifold.
      As you can see the larger T4 TS outspools the old setup.
      Keep in mind this is stock motor, stock cams, stock intake, and stock tb.
      Here are some more results. Below, he replaced the 0.63 A/R turbine housing with the larger 0.82 A/R for the T3 cast manifold.

I posted the results of plugging the BOV and the car made 444hp/378ft/lbs @31psi on 93 octane. The new Tial BOV arrived on Friday, but I won't be able to install until next week. Once the new Tial is installed I will work with Tom to finalize the tune. I hope that when I install the GSC S2's I should get better results.
      Quote Originally Posted by deeman101;
      Thats more like it! I was afraid the extremely short runners would cause high back pressure and limit top end horsepower. But if there is any, its certainly not affecting you by much.
      I didn't know you were on pump gas btw (with 31psi!). Great results!
      I wish he had a comparison of a TS equal length manifold versus a TS short runner. Looking at the short runner results look great though without any noticable loss of power on the top end.
      Last edited by mainstayinc; 02-27-2018 at 04:10 PM.
      The Bible Teaches That Few are Saved. Why Hell Must Be Eternal. Scientific Evidence for God. "The perverse are hard to be corrected, and the number of fools is infinite." (Ecclesiastes 1:15).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      02 GTI 1.8T, 07 Audi Q7 3.6, 84 GTI 8V, 04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T-ret, 91 Wolfsburg Jetta 8v-ret
      03-17-2017 07:46 PM #77
      I stopped off at Bill Schimmel's this morning to get an update and to pickup the cyclinder head from the Audi TT. I need the cylinder head to begin mocking up my twin scroll manifold. I re-designed the manifold to resemble the EVO IX manifold I posted above. That was after spending a couple hours late last night reading the first 18 pages of that thread. Apparently, wastegate placement is pretty important to the performance of the manifold. So, I moved the number 4 runner from the bottom of the manifold to the top (see below).

That will allow me to run twin wastegates at the bottom where the two sections merge into "collector" section. The only problem with moving the number 4 runner to the top is that it may not clear the cylinder head. That is why I want to do a mock-up on the Audi TT cylinder head. I originally threw out this design as I didn't think there would be enough room. But, I think it's worth a try since there are so many benefits of running the twin wastegates on the bottom.

Bill instead convinced me to leave the cylinder head at his shop and bring up my Supertech valves, springs and other stuff next Friday to re-build that head and then swap it into my MK4 GTX2867R + 2.1L daily driver. As some of you may recall, I ended up hydro-locking that cylinder head after experimenting with a NOS fuel nozzle last spring. I posted my troubleshooting efforts in the "GTX2867R Spool" thread. Once that is built, I will tow my MK4 DD down to Bill's shop and he will swap out the cylinder head with the built one and possibly replace my JE pistons with the second set of Mahle's I bought from Issam. However, Bill convinced me to possibly keep the JE's in there since those are a very good piston. We'll see how those look in a few weeks when he removed the head.

While I was down there I had a chance to talk to Tan, another one of Bill's customers. He owns a heavily modified MK5 R32 which he tracks at Englishtown, NJ (quarter mile). I briefly showed his car in the last video I posted. I don't know a lot about his setup other than the fact that he has some carbon fiber parts, a really nice fuel cell, 19 inch tires, R32 engine bored out to 3.34 liters (86mm x 95.9mm). The whole inside is stripped down and setup as a serious race car.

He recently replaced his DSG transmission, which couldn't hold the power, with a new 02M 6-speed sequential transmission from KAPS Transmissions in the Czech Republic. They offer three different race gearsets for the 02M and Tan said that got the "Long" version (see below).

http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-02m.html

When I first asked him how much the transmission cost two weeks ago, he said, "about the price of a nice used car." As you can see, it has a billet end-case which is strong and makes the whole assembly very light. Dog-box engagement (see below).

I asked him what final drive he is using, and he wasn't sure. I couldn't help plugging his data into my transmission spreadsheet to see how that compared to the SQS "Boost" gearset and my stock 02M "GUC" diesel transmission that I will keep as a backup. Both the SQS on GUC are graphed with the 2.955/2.407 final drive and the KAPS I put the 3.944/3.087 final drive since that put first gear closest to the other transmissions. Also, engine speeds in this comparison are at 7500 RPMs, not 8500 RPMs as I posted before. Bill and Tan are looking to trap above 150 MPH at the end of fourth or fifth gear in the quarter mile.

Here's the same comparison but with a taller 3.684/2.917 final drive for the KAPS.

Interestingly, when I first contacted Bill several weeks ago about this project, he mentioned that Tan is also upgrading to the GTX3584RS. Below is the GTX3584RS overlaid with 3.3L (3342 CC's) displacement (86mm x 95.9mm).

I recommend P2/P1=2.5 or about 22 psi at 7500 RPMs with this turbo and engine combination for 900 HP on pump/race gas or about 1080 HP on E85.
      For comparison, below I overlaid the GTX3584RS with my 2.1L (2067 CC's) engine. I am shooting for P2/P1=3.3 or about 33 psi at 8600 RPMs for 840 HP on pump/race gas or 1008 on E85.

Personally, I think the GTX3584RS is too small for 3.3L's. I would recommend the GTX4508R or similar turbo with P2/P1 = 3.7 or about 39 psi at 7000 RPMs for 1240 HP on pump/race gas or 1450 HP on E85.

EDIT: The above graph is with 23.3 inch 205/45R16 tires. Below is the same graph but with 25 inch diameter 225/45R17 tires.

Last edited by mainstayinc; 02-27-2018 at 04:12 PM.
      The Bible Teaches That Few are Saved. Why Hell Must Be Eternal. Scientific Evidence for God. "The perverse are hard to be corrected, and the number of fools is infinite." (Ecclesiastes 1:15).

Cars
      01 GTI 1.8T
      03-18-2017 11:03 AM #78
      That is a serious chunk of aluminum for that 02m housing. I can't even imagine the price tag on that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Brute 20mm Connecting Rods, ACL Bearings, Wiseco 83mm Pistons, FSI Crank, AEB Head, CatCams 3658, PagParts GT3076R Bottom Mount V-Banded Turbo Kit, PagParts Garret 550HP Core, VF Engineering Motor Mounts, SEM IM, Labonte W/M, 70mm TB, Tial Q BOV, Tial Wastgate, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Peloquin LSD, Clutchmasters FX400, 910cc Injectors, IE Surge Tank, Eurodyne with Maestro.... PAGPARTS Clear Water Dubs

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      03-18-2017 11:59 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by One-Eight GTI View Post
      That is a serious chunk of aluminum for that 02m housing. I can't even imagine the price tag on that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah, no kidding. I think he paid twice as much as my built 02C transmission. And that was over $6000.00. He was showing me the service documents for the KAPS transmission. Basically, he gets free regular maintenance for life (every 700 kms service interval), including free shipping back to the Czech Republic.

Bill told me that the KAPS guy was surprised he only bought one transmission, as they usually do a minimum of three for race teams. Make him feel like small potatoes.

EDIT: Another view of the KAPS transmission (from website):

Last edited by mainstayinc; 06-30-2017 at 06:51 PM.

7. Member
      Cars
      03-18-2017 04:30 PM #80
      Bill sent me a *.pdf file with the actual gear ratios installed on the KAPS transmission. First through third are the same as before, but fourth through sixth gear are slightly different. Also, he confirmed the final drive as 4.167/3.333.

Plugging those number into my spreadsheet gives me the following results. Also, please note that I used a 3.238/2.615 final drive for the SQS transmission and, of course, the 2.955/2.407 final drive for the OEM GUC transmission. Since you can use any final drive in the 02M, you can raise or lower these speeds as needed. Some final drives are easier to obtain than others. Also, I changed the tire size to 265/30R19 which is the size that Tan uses in his MK5 R32.

Below is a visual comparison of my 215/40R16 versus Tan's 265/30R19's. As you can see, tan is running a much wider contact patch. However, I can always install a wider tire in the future, especially if I keep my ride height close to stock height which will allow me to clear the wheel arches. A 225 tire might be a nice compromise (225/40/R16) but that might limit the tire choices since that is not as popular size as the 205/45R16's.

EDIT: Bill said that Tan's tires are 265/30R19's. I updated the visual comparison and vehicle speed graph above. Also, I changed the tires size on the MK1 to 215/40R16 since Yokohama makes the S.drive in that size. That will give me an 8.5 inch width tire and will be the same as the stock 185/60R14's on the GTI with a diameter of 22.8 inches (versus 23.3 inches for the 205/45R16's). Although that will take away some of the "legs" on my tire/transmission combination, I still have enough final drive to achieve my speed targets.
      Last edited by mainstayinc; 06-30-2017 at 06:54 PM.

8. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2017 02:36 PM #81
      Quick update. I stopped by Bill's shop this morning to drop off my Supertech exhaust valves, springs, guides and seals to rebuild the Audi TT head that is going into my MK4 daily driver. We plan to re-use the intake valves since those look like they are in good shape. Hopefully sometime next week I can bring my MK4 down and have Bill swap the old head out and put the built Audi TT head in. Finger's crossed that will solve my *no start* situation on my MK4. We'll see.

He just sent the syncro beam out to get powder coated along with the trailing arms which were sent out a few weeks ago. He also sent the Audi TT engine block out to Greg at Automotive & Industrial Machining Company in Telford, PA to get bored out for the new 83mm Mahle pistons and line bored and honed for the IE Tall Boy main caps. Those needed a lot of material to be machined off to match the crank main journals. Height-wise, the Tall Boy main caps fit almost level with the bottom of the block and may not require any machining.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrated Engineering;
      REQUIRES MACHINE WORK
      Girdle plates require machine work and precise measurements for correct installation, this should be performed by a certified engine technician. The IE Tall Boy main caps will need to be line honed by an engine machine shop with the supplied IE Spec ARP studs installed and the nuts torqued to ensure journal circularity. Tall Boy main caps will also need to be measured, and machined flat between the girdle plate and engine block surface. The tolerance for the gap between the girdle plate and block is 0.001”
      Also, I received my MK4 rear alloy brake calipers from Eurospec. Those will be a direct fit with the syncro carriers which still haven't arrived yet.

Also arriving this past week is my MK1 Hydraulic Clutch Kit and DBW Pedal Adapter Bracket from S & P Automotive.

Last edited by mainstayinc; 06-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.

9. Member
      Cars
      2002 Mexican Jetta, 2004 Passat 4mo 1.8t (RIP)
      03-24-2017 03:22 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by mainstayinc View Post
      In theory, equal-length runners are better because the pulses are timed evenly as they arrive at the turbine. And since each pulse is isolated from the other pulses before it enters the collector, there is little chance of pulses colliding with each other as compared to a log-style manifold. However, the trade off is that you have to increase the length of each runner in order to achieve an equal length setup. That results in some loss of manifold pressure at lower engine speeds as compared to a short-runner setup. That is why equal-length manifolds shine at high engine speeds but tend to be a little slow to spool up. The other problem with longer runners is that you increase the amount of surface area of the manifold. That tends to cool the exhaust gas before it enters the turbine. That, of course, can be remedied somewhat by insulation.

Yes, equal length runners are still preferable IMO in a twin-scroll setup. A TS setup solves the problem of pulses colliding by combining cylinders that are timed farthest apart (180 degrees on a 4-cylinder application). It also solves the problem of exhaust backflow where more then one cylinders' exhaust valves are open at the same time. However, the same problem exists in a twin-scroll equal length manifold as with a single-scroll equal length manifold as mentioned above.

In an short-runner unequal length manifold, you still get the benefits of a twin scroll setup as mentioned above (mainly, eliminating exhaust backflow). However, the pulses are not timed evenly as they arrive at the turbine. In my particular setup, cylinder number 4 will be slow to arrive at the turbine having the longest runner length. This may interfere with the next cylinder in the firing sequence when engine speed increases. That would be cylinder number 2 in a 1-3-4-2 firing order. However, I am willing to make a small tradeoff for the benefits of a short-runner manifold. That is quicker spool (remember, I am installing a large GTX35 series turbo) and smaller packaging.

I am excited to see the results. Like was discussed in the Evo thread you linked to, the effects of the uneven pulses will be extremely difficult to measure. Wastegate location will also be very influential to exhaust inertia. It sets off alarms in my head visualizing the pulses hitting the turbine in an uneven manner.

10. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2017 04:59 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by sleepy1.8t View Post
      I am excited to see the results. Like was discussed in the Evo thread you linked to, the effects of the uneven pulses will be extremely difficult to measure. Wastegate location will also be very influential to exhaust inertia. It sets off alarms in my head visualizing the pulses hitting the turbine in an uneven manner.
      Yes, it would be difficult to measure the effects of the uneven pulses. The best comparison would be a dyno pull between the short-runner unequal length and a full race equal length manifold.

11. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2017 05:20 PM #84
      I forgot to post my Mahle 1.2 TFSI turbo wastegate actuator that I will adapt to control my 3.5 inch QTP exhaust valve.

I already have a 2.5 exhaust valve on my MK4 daily driver which uses an electric motor that is controlled by an open/close switch. Some of you may remember this video I posted of the exhaust valve:

The only downside to the QTP electric motor is that it is a little slow and is not programmable. The Mahle wastegate actuator will solve this problem by being wired into my standalone ECU and controlled by a GPO (general purpose output). I will have a physical arming switch on the dashboard and then program the standalone to open/close the wastegate actuator when certain conditions are met, such as RPM > 2000 or PSI > 7 etc. I will have to custom fabricate a bracket to replace the electric motor and mount the wastegate actuator to. It should work really nice.

Last edited by mainstayinc; 02-27-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Cars
      03 GTI 1.8t (s#!tbox)
      03-24-2017 06:13 PM #85
      Sub'd to see how this thing turns out. Bill is great at what he does, I've know him for ten years. He had Tan's build out at a benefit I was at, that thing is nuts! If you need a hand with anything, let me know, our towns are connected

13. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2017 06:31 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Synapse215 View Post
      Sub'd to see how this thing turns out. Bill is great at what he does, I've know him for ten years. He had Tan's build out at a benefit I was at, that thing is nuts! If you need a hand with anything, let me know, our towns are connected
      Thanks, man. I might take you up on that. Bill was nice enough to take an hour out of his schedule this morning just to talk about my project and other things he has going on. He is very good at what he does and is very detail oriented with his engine builds and other things. I showed Bill this build thread on his work computer and some of the compressor maps I made for Tan's R32. It would be nice to see Tan step up to a GTX4508R which will make his R32 even more nuts! We'll see. I can always buy his GTX3584RS from him since I don't have one yet and his is brand new. The only problem is that he has the slip-hose compressor housing and I want the v-band compressor housing. I just called ATP Turbo to see if they sell the v-band compressor housing separately. We'll see how this all plays out.

Good to know there are people local here that are interested in this project.
      Last edited by mainstayinc; 03-24-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Cars
      03 GTI 1.8t (s#!tbox)
      03-24-2017 06:52 PM #87
      Always willing to lend a hand to a fellow Dubber! There are a few good folks left that still frequent here (been a long time lurker myself) that will be willing to give feedback on your project. Not sure but, there is another local dubber that may be done with his rotisserie, not sure if he ever got his Scirocco done. Maybe he'd be willing to part with it.

15. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2017 07:35 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Synapse215 View Post
      Always willing to lend a hand to a fellow Dubber! There are a few good folks left that still frequent here (been a long time lurker myself) that will be willing to give feedback on your project. Not sure but, there is another local dubber that may be done with his rotisserie, not sure if he ever got his Scirocco done. Maybe he'd be willing to part with it.
      LMK if you find out if he's done or willing to part with it. Otherwise, Bill will have to fabricate "crick-ed neck" style on one of his vertical lifts (LOL). Seriously, Bill and I talked about this and he thinks it would be way easier to do with the rotisserie.

16. 03-26-2017 01:32 AM #89
      this is by far one of the most technical and well thought out builds i've ever seen.

I am certain this car will be nothing short of remarkable. It's too bad you had to use a clean 225TTQ 6spd but it seems like the parts its donating are going to great use.

I can't wait to see more updates!
      24v VR club

17. 03-26-2017 01:39 AM #90

BRAKES/SUSPENSION

FRONT
      Stock MK1 lower control arm and spindle
      Epytec 5x100 hub for MK1 spindle M14x1.5
      Epytec Porsche brake adapters
      Porsche 986 Boxter 4 piston front brakes
      Eurospec 280mm vented slotted 5x100 Corrado rotors
      Front Coilovers
      the epytec 5x100 front hubs, are they for the larger 100mm driveshafts (from the later year cabby's)?

did you receive these? can you comment on the quality? fit and finish?

thanks!

excellent build again
      24v VR club

18. Member
      Cars
      03-26-2017 11:27 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by 35i 2000 View Post
      this is by far one of the most technical and well thought out builds i've ever seen.

I am certain this car will be nothing short of remarkable. It's too bad you had to use a clean 225TTQ 6spd but it seems like the parts its donating are going to great use.

I can't wait to see more updates!
      Thanks! Yeah, too bad about the Audi TT 225 Roadster. That thing would have been way too nice for me to drive around anyway. The little MK1 Rabbit GTI has grown on me in the last year and is going to be a real sleeper. Once it is complete, I will probably drive it around in its current, unrestored condition for a while. That will really surprise a lot of VRT's, Golf R's, LS3's etc. especially when I go "open-header" style with the exhaust valve open at 9000 RPMs!

the epytec 5x100 front hubs, are they for the larger 100mm driveshafts (from the later year cabby's)?

did you receive these? can you comment on the quality? fit and finish?

thanks!

excellent build again
      I'm not sure. Below is the Epytec website with a description of the 5x100 MK1 hubs:

https://www.epytec.de/en/wheel-hubs-...ont-axle?c=173

Quote Originally Posted by Epytec

Product description

Wheel hub for bolt circle conversion on the front axle of your VW Golf 1 Caddy and Scirocco vehicle.Allows the installation of 5x100mm bolt circle.

Advantages:

• Allows the installation of the VR6 brake disc system.
      • The conversion doesn’t require the installation of wheel plates.
      • 100% tailor-made.
      • delivered galvanized
      • the wheel hubs are equiped with M14x1,5 mm thread boreholes. This allows to use the standard bolts to fix VW and Audi wheel rims.

Note: The conversion requires an autorisation and the installation has to be approved by authorities

The manufacture of this product is done from the standard wheel hub that is modified by a specific laser treatment.
      The product description says that the hub is for Golf 1, Caddy and Scirocco. That sounds like the later 100mm driveshaft. Not sure, though.

Yes, I did receive the Epytec 5x100 hubs. As far as quality, fit and finish these are second to none. Made in Germany. Almost too nice to put on a 33+ year old car.

Stock photo:

Last edited by mainstayinc; 02-27-2018 at 04:14 PM.

19. 03-26-2017 11:45 PM #92
      thanks for the quick response mate!

if you have 100mm driveshafts, can you try and see if they sleeve through the hubs, I have emailed epytec but they haven't responded, its quite likely because i'm using google translate to make it all happen.

I figured the quality was excellent. I purchase my 02J mounts from them and they are nothing short of fantastic.

It's funny to see x-y plots of the gear ratio's!! A lot of my friends made fun of me as i plotted all the ratio's of the 020's, 02a's and 02j's before finally selecting a gear box for my type of summer driving. Nice to see that I'm not the only one!

Wanted to also ask the diff you have in your 02c, is that the same diff as an 02a/02j diff? or is it specific to an 02c?

thanks!
      24v VR club

20. Member
      Cars
      03-27-2017 12:22 AM #93

if you have 100mm driveshafts, can you try and see if they sleeve through the hubs, I have emailed epytec but they haven't responded, its quite likely because i'm using google translate to make it all happen.

I figured the quality was excellent. I purchase my 02J mounts from them and they are nothing short of fantastic.

It's funny to see x-y plots of the gear ratio's!! A lot of my friends made fun of me as i plotted all the ratio's of the 020's, 02a's and 02j's before finally selecting a gear box for my type of summer driving. Nice to see that I'm not the only one!

Wanted to also ask the diff you have in your 02c, is that the same diff as an 02a/02j diff? or is it specific to an 02c?

thanks!
      The Peloquin diff is specific to the 02C. I also decided to get the R32 rear diff for some added Haldex traction in the back.

Yeah, gearing is very important to me. I have been a big fan of the 02J/02A 5-speed mainly because there are a lot of different gear combinations available. When my 02J transmission blew up in my Mk4 after installing my GTX2867R, I had to learn a lot about the subject. I was lucky enough to listen to the guys at AP Tuning and install a taller final drive (3.389) to compensate for a somewhat shorter first gear on their race gearset. As it turns out, that was a very good decision. I can achieve over 80 MPH in second gear (smoking tires all the way) on my MK4 before shifting into third. That's a lot of fun. This new transmission is pretty special and has an even taller final drive (3.157). However, this is offset by the smaller tires of the MK1.

I have also been somewhat critical of the 02M mainly because of its short gearing. It is really meant to extract the most power out of a NA engine. However, that changed when I discovered that there are taller final drives available for the 02M. But those are not available in the US/North American for the most part. I am currently waiting to receive my 02M diesel (GUC code) transmission from Great Britain. It will sit idle as a parts transmission as long as my 02C hold up.

Yeah, I like calculating and graphing etc. It's how I relax from the stresses of daily life. I'm glad you and possibly others can appreciate. Those compressor maps take a lot of work BTW!

21. Member
      Cars
      03-27-2017 12:25 AM #94

22. Member
      Cars
      03-27-2017 01:10 AM #95

thanks!
      Yes, I will check and post back in this thread once MK1 is at Bill's shop.

23. Member
      Cars
      03-27-2017 10:11 AM #96
      One of the problems I had to solve in this build is getting a digital speed signal from the transmission while still using a cable-operated speedometer on my gauge cluster. The digital signal is necessary for my standalone ECU to control such functions as boost-by-gear, launch control etc. I decided that I want to keep the MK1 as close to stock appearance as possible. My solution is to install an MK2 16V Europe-only 160 MPH/8000 RPM gauge cluster that uses a cable operated speedometer. However, the original speed sensor that came with the 02C transmission uses a gear wheel connected to a magnetic sensor that generates a digital speedometer signal (see top part of picture below).

As you can see, there is no way to attach a physical cable to the sensor to generate a speed signal for the speedometer. My solution was to purchase a pass-through style sensor from a 1993-2000 Europe-only Ford Mondeo (PN: 95FB9E731AA). See lower part of picture above. It allows the cable to pass through the sensor while still picking up a digital signal. The top part of the VW sensor can be removed and replaced with the pass-through sensor. It actually threads right on. I added two 1/8 inch nylon spacers which I had to drill out the ID to fit the VW sensor housing. The picture below shows the final product along with the nice MK2 16V gauge cluster.

Last edited by mainstayinc; 06-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.

24. 03-27-2017 09:49 PM #97
      Yes, I will check and post back in this thread once MK1 is at Bill's shop.
      thank you so much

Epytec responded to me, they said it should fit all Mark I's, I guess they aren't clear on the differences.
      24v VR club

25. 03-27-2017 09:51 PM #98
      One of the problems I had to solve in this build is getting a digital speed signal from the transmission while still using a cable-operated tachometer on my gauge cluster. The digital signal is necessary for my standalone ECU to control such functions as boost-by-gear, launch control etc. I decided that I want to keep the MK1 as close to stock appearance as possible. My solution is to install an MK2 16V Europe-only 160 MPH/8000 RPM gauge cluster that uses a cable operated tachometer. However, the original speed sensor that came with the 02C transmission uses a gear wheel connected to a magnetic sensor that generates a digital tachometer signal (see top part of picture below).

As you can see, there is no way to attach a physical cable to the sensor to generate a speed signal for the tachometer. My solution was to purchase a pass-through style sensor from a 1993-2000 Europe-only Ford Mondeo (PN: 95FB9E731AA). See lower part of picture above. It allows the cable to pass through the sensor while still picking up a digital signal. The top part of the VW sensor can be removed and replaced with the pass-through sensor. It actually threads right on. I added two 1/8 inch nylon spacers which I had to drill out the ID to fit the VW sensor housing. The picture below shows the final product along with the nice MK2 16V gauge cluster.
      wow this is by far the most clever approach i've seen to having a digital speed signal!! excellent work mate!
      24v VR club

Cars
      rabbit 20v awd, audi b7 avant
      03-27-2017 11:12 PM #99
      Your speedo idea, could it work with 02m transmission. One of the solutions o found firmly projet was to use a cable-x module.

27. Member
      Cars
      03-28-2017 12:01 AM #100
      thank you so much

Epytec responded to me, they said it should fit all Mark I's, I guess they aren't clear on the differences.
      That's good to know .

wow this is by far the most clever approach i've seen to having a digital speed signal!! excellent work mate!
      Thanks, man. The MK2 16V gauge cluster should look virtually OEM in the MK1. I didn't want to install an MK3 or MK4 cluster with digital speedometer as that would look totally out of place. Nor did I want to have a fancy electronic aftermarket gauge cluster. The stock 120 MPH/7000 RPM MK1 cluster is not quite up to task with what I want to do.

EDIT: Also, I plan on using the unused LED indicators in the center section of the MK2 gauge cluster for things like indicating Haldex engagement, chemical intercooling activation etc.
      Also, I meant to say "cable-operated speedometer" not "tachometer" in my previous post.
      Last edited by mainstayinc; 03-28-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast