VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2014 Jetta S Autox tire set-up

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nepstune78 
#1 ·
Going to get back into autox been quite a few years since I have tracked, but got my 2.0 5 speed Jetta and I want to get down.
My car is stock and I will be attending my first event the 26th of this month. Plans are to get the DR series BC coilover set up. Just want to know ideas of wheel size set up. Last time I was autoxing I had a 2007 Honda Fit with 15x7 Falken Hanabi and worked out very well. I had KW coilovers on that. Got a bigger car now, so I would say 17x7 or 7.5 maybe? I got to see my over all diameter, but anyone already autoxing an MK6 that can give me some ideas for a good wheel/tire set up.

Cheers

#2 ·
Assuming SCCA classing: read here:
https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

Coilovers put you into a Street Touring class.
You'll want to run the widest wheels the class allows, and the widest tire you can fit. Smaller diameter wheels are lighter (and cheaper, as are tires), but 17's give you the widest range of options. Check your gearing to see if maybe you should run a shorter or taller tire, shooting for 60-65mph at the top of 2nd gear, roughly.

#4 ·
Will you be staying within the rules of a particular class or just having fun? Like gli said, 17x8 wheels have a ton of tire options. Does gearing really get you to 71mph in 2nd gear? If so, maybe 235/40 17 tires are the way to go if they're just for autocross

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I would say the course wont give me enough room to get to 60mph just by looking at it or even with the 2.0 slow I got. We will be on a parking lot. Also thanks for the info on the wheel/ tires size. I figured 17s should be the correct size. I will be autoxing for fun and with little completion, but I want to see how fun the MK6 can be.

#3 ·
Will you be staying within the rules of a particular class or just having fun? Like gli said, 17x8 wheels have a ton of tire options. Does gearing really get you to 71mph in 2nd gear? If so, maybe 235/40 17 tires are the way to go if they're just for autocross

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.