Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2006 A3 6MT 2.0T
      01-29-2017 02:07 PM #1
      My A3 hates falling snow. It has had this issue since new. We lived in a climate with very little snow for a while, so it hasn't happened in a long time, but now I've moved, there is snow, and the issue is back. It generally happens 2-3 times in the span of a 20 minute drive, but can happen more or less.

Conditions:
      Snow has to be falling. Snow on the ground causes no issues.
      Engine at lower speeds - could just be that's where it is most of the time, but it seems more violent the lower the speed.

Symptoms:
      Bad vibration - rough shaking, extremely noticeable, sort of like that point right before the car stalls
      Fluctuating revs - ECU cannot hold the engine at a set RPM on it's own, it bounces up and down over a 400 RPM range, will respond to pedal inputs but is sluggish to do so and continues to shake
      Flashing CEL - first time that has occurred was today, I believe it indicates misfires, but not sure

Any help is appreciated. I know the TSI A3's have a snow/air filter available(https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mann-par...k0129620e~man/), but there seems to be no similar part for FSI models. I believe it is a misfire, but find it hard to understand why falling snow is the only cause, heavy rains have never been an issue, and I drive in those all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2006 A3 3.2L S-line, 1985 BMW 325e coupe project
      02-03-2017 08:53 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by A3REDT View Post
      My A3 hates falling snow. It has had this issue since new. We lived in a climate with very little snow for a while, so it hasn't happened in a long time, but now I've moved, there is snow, and the issue is back. It generally happens 2-3 times in the span of a 20 minute drive, but can happen more or less.

Conditions:
      Snow has to be falling. Snow on the ground causes no issues.
      Engine at lower speeds - could just be that's where it is most of the time, but it seems more violent the lower the speed.

Symptoms:
      Bad vibration - rough shaking, extremely noticeable, sort of like that point right before the car stalls
      Fluctuating revs - ECU cannot hold the engine at a set RPM on it's own, it bounces up and down over a 400 RPM range, will respond to pedal inputs but is sluggish to do so and continues to shake
      Flashing CEL - first time that has occurred was today, I believe it indicates misfires, but not sure

Any help is appreciated. I know the TSI A3's have a snow/air filter available(https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mann-par...k0129620e~man/), but there seems to be no similar part for FSI models. I believe it is a misfire, but find it hard to understand why falling snow is the only cause, heavy rains have never been an issue, and I drive in those all the time.
      I doubt this has to snow. It's more likely a low temperature issue with a sensor or something electrical.

So, for starters, I would check your MAF. Are you running a stock air filter? If you are running an aftermarket drop-in or cone filter, sensor could be covered in filter oil. If you think you're having misfires, pull the coils and plugs and inspect the plugs for abnormal wear. For these types of issues you have to go through and eliminate the variables one at a time.
      Last edited by GohnJallo; 02-03-2017 at 08:57 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      Or maybe a partially clogged orifice.

4. Member
      Cars
      2006 A3 6MT 2.0T
      02-03-2017 06:16 PM #3
      100% it is due to snow.
      Since 2008 when we bought the car it has never once had any engine issues that were noticeable below WOT. EXCEPT for when it is snowing. I have no idea why this is, but I do know that it is the case. I can drive it on 5degF mornings no problem, but falling snow regardless of the temperature will inevitably make it stumble.

Problem with eliminating variables, is that we don't have frequent snowfalls where I live; that being said I replaced
      spark plugs - 8 months ago(Bosch)
      coil packs - 1.5 years ago(VW)
      air filter(OEM housing) - 1 month ago(Mann-Filter)

Will be scanning with a vagcom shortly to see if any codes are stored.

02-04-2017 12:41 AM #4
      do me a favor...warm car up for around 10 minutes and then hold accelerator down and keep the rpm at 2000 and then let me know what the needle does.
      I hate cupholders

6. Member
      Cars
      2006 A3 6MT 2.0T
      02-08-2017 07:32 PM #5
      Tcardio - drove down to the grocery store 9.5 minutes. Not sure if you meant warm up by driving or idling. Car was up to temperature, attempted to set revs at 2000- completely impossible. The engine was happy to hold at ~1950 or 2050(needle on either side of the 2k mark, still covering part of it) for the full 30 seconds that I held each position, but could not get it to sit at exactly 2000. Does that tell you what you wanted to know?

Scanned w/ VAG-COM, had a cylinder 4 misfire code as well as a random/multiple misfire code stored. I will be replacing the cylinder 4 coil pack this weekend, hopefully there will be some snow soon so I can do some more testing.

02-11-2017 01:42 AM #6
      Tcardio - drove down to the grocery store 9.5 minutes. Not sure if you meant warm up by driving or idling. Car was up to temperature, attempted to set revs at 2000- completely impossible. The engine was happy to hold at ~1950 or 2050(needle on either side of the 2k mark, still covering part of it) for the full 30 seconds that I held each position, but could not get it to sit at exactly 2000. Does that tell you what you wanted to know?

Scanned w/ VAG-COM, had a cylinder 4 misfire code as well as a random/multiple misfire code stored. I will be replacing the cylinder 4 coil pack this weekend, hopefully there will be some snow soon so I can do some more testing.
      If it held without bouncing up and down then thats good. there is a dsg update available which takes care of that problem among other dsg issues. i think you found your problem though
      I hate cupholders

Cars
      2006 A3 3.2L S-line, 1985 BMW 325e coupe project
      02-13-2017 06:09 PM #7
      100% it is due to snow.
      That's not how that works. Low temperature, yes. Snow, no. Snow being in the air does not directly cause engine problems.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      Or maybe a partially clogged orifice.