Fourtitude.com - Time for an AR-15 .... I have a few ???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      01-23-2017 10:07 AM #26
      Had a good time at the gun show and the place was packed ....merica!!! Saw several low end AR's and custom builds in the $1200 - 2500 range.
      Saw a guy walking around with a Springfield Armory Saint case, he had just bought the only one he could find at the show. He was kind enough to open the case and let me handle the gun. Nice fit, hardware, etc. I searched and didn't find any vendors who had any left, they sell them as soon as they get them. On the way home I stopped buy my local gun shop and they said they sold the one they had as soon as they opened the store that morning. They said they have more on order and should be in stock in a week or two.

I picked up a few things at the show and ordered some things from OpticsPlanet and Amazon:

Vortex SparcAR Red Dot scope
      Magpul MS4 Sling
      PMAG's
      AR Tools (Scraper tool, Magazine Vice Block, etc.)
      KeyMod QD brackets for Sling and Flashlight holder
      Nitecore clone Flashlight

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member Frank@AntwerpenPerformance's Avatar
      Cars
      13 mb c300, 07 tundra, 03 24v gli, 89 e30
      01-24-2017 08:56 AM #27
      I have a bear creek arsenal ar-15 that I have put over 2k rounds though. Its all stock except a sight mark sight. Out the door I paid about $850.
      class steppin'

4. 01-24-2017 09:20 AM #28
      Be careful with Optics Planet - they almost never have anything in stock when you order. I had three out of four orders cancelled several years ago and stopped using them. They advertise a bunch of stuff and almost never carry it. Just a heads up.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      01-24-2017 11:02 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Be careful with Optics Planet - they almost never have anything in stock when you order. I had three out of four orders cancelled several years ago and stopped using them. They advertise a bunch of stuff and almost never carry it. Just a heads up.
      Yeah, they suck.

I've had two parts kits on backorder since August... it's constant excuses. I wish they'd just tell me to get screwed because I seriously doubt SIG will fill their order.

So, screw SIG too.

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      01-25-2017 04:45 PM #30
      Email from Optics Planet says order shipped, received FedEx tracking #, looks like I should have my stuff on Friday.
      Other items from Amazon should start arriving tomorrow through next Monday.
      Also was able to track down a Saint and will pick it up on Saturday.
      I should be able to get some shooting in on the 4th.

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      01-27-2017 01:37 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      Email from Optics Planet says order shipped, received FedEx tracking #, looks like I should have my stuff on Friday.
      Other items from Amazon should start arriving tomorrow through next Monday.
      Also was able to track down a Saint and will pick it up on Saturday.
      I should be able to get some shooting in on the 4th.
      Solid.

I convinced my FIL to let me shoot at his house in Suburbia. He is on 12 acres though and has a safe spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      01-28-2017 02:08 PM #32
      Happy Day !!!
      Optics Planet order was bumped from FedEx to FedEx Smartpost, so I didn't get the stuff yesterday. Should be in my mailbox in a few hours.
      Might head to the range tomorrow and sight it in.

Shot the photo below.

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      02-02-2017 11:10 AM #33

Family friend just bought. Couple of thousands of acres about an hour away. I have the gate combo! Going to make a trip soon to shoot these two for the first time.

Cars
      2014 polluter, B6 Lux Wagon, 2011 Suburban
      02-02-2017 05:44 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

Family friend just bought. Couple of thousands of acres about an hour away. I have the gate combo! Going to make a trip soon to shoot these two for the first time.

Nice KSG.

12. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      02-03-2017 12:57 PM #35
      If anyone is looking for a carbine kit, this one is a mind bending value. It's a good barrel and trigger and a bunch of magpul furniture for $399.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...=12%3a00+Email
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

13. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      02-04-2017 01:17 AM #36
      Now for the questions -
      Any recommendations / real world experience with sub $1,000 AR's? Which manufacturers to avoid, models to skip, etc.
      How many on here currently own an AR? What do you like about shooting them, what don't you like?
      Can anyone recommend a good AR-15 Forum to join?

Out for now.

There have been high praise for Ruger's 556 AR (not sure on model) and the S&W MP15. The Saint falls on the upper $ tier for "entry-level" AR. I'll throw in the DPMS AR as an option as well.

When getting an AR, make sure it's chambered in 5.56, as you can shoot "down" with .223, but you can't go up w/ a .223.

If you could squeeze ~$500 more into your budget, I'd recommend a Daniel Defense.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      02-04-2017 11:42 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      There have been high praise for Ruger's 556 AR

$679 for a Ruger with FDE Magpul (M-LOK handguard) furniture. That's pretty awesome.
      iain

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      02-04-2017 08:00 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      If anyone is looking for a carbine kit, this one is a mind bending value. It's a good barrel and trigger and a bunch of magpul furniture for $399.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...=12%3a00+Email
      holy ****

Cars
      2014 Focus
      02-06-2017 09:38 AM #39
      holy ****
      Agreed. The shop down the street from me has stripped Anderson lowers for $60. You could build a pretty sweet rifle for less than $500 (excepting shipping/tax)! I'm in need of an upper now to finish my first build but sometimes I just want to bring that $60 down there to start on the next one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

17. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      02-06-2017 09:57 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JTinFocus View Post
      Agreed. The shop down the street from me has stripped Anderson lowers for $60. You could build a pretty sweet rifle for less than $500 (excepting shipping/tax)! I'm in need of an upper now to finish my first build but sometimes I just want to bring that $60 down there to start on the next one.
      That's the disease.

I don't care for the Magpul BU(P)S, but the last time I looked they were around $50. The trigger set is sold separately at Palmetto for between $25 and $35. When I was shopping for barrels, a nitrided A2 profile carbine barrel was between $140 and $220. You can get BCG and CHs for $90 total now. I bet you could find a receiver extension, buffer and buffer spring for $40 and that Magpul furniture $100 if you looked long enough.

That's $405 without the upper receiver ($75 to $100) or HG cap, gas tube/gas block, muzzle device, barrel nut and delta spring assembly ($70).
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

18. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      02-06-2017 06:09 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by JTinFocus View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      That's the disease.

I don't care for the Magpul BU(P)S, but the last time I looked they were around $50. The trigger set is sold separately at Palmetto for between $25 and $35. When I was shopping for barrels, a nitrided A2 profile carbine barrel was between $140 and $220. You can get BCG and CHs for $90 total now. I bet you could find a receiver extension, buffer and buffer spring for $40 and that Magpul furniture $100 if you looked long enough.

That's $405 without the upper receiver ($75 to $100) or HG cap, gas tube/gas block, muzzle device, barrel nut and delta spring assembly ($70).

A local shop here (preciseshooter.com) has a parts list for a sub-$500 build; but a lot of parts are listed as unavailable. I'm sure you could source them elsewhere like on Primary Arms or Brownells. So far my build has been pretty inexpensive; haven't got to the expensive parts yet.

While I'm all about cheap... there's something in me that won't go for a $60-$80 barrel. I'm going to actually pick up a decent one, so I'm willing to spend up to $200 for one.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

19. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      02-06-2017 06:42 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      So far my build has been pretty inexpensive; haven't got to the expensive parts yet.

While I'm all about cheap... there's something in me that won't go for a $60-$80 barrel. I'm going to actually pick up a decent one, so I'm willing to spend up to $200 for one.
      I'm cheap, but I don't see the reasoning in buying a barrel in 4140 or a phosphate finish without chrome lining. I have some chrome lined barrels that are pretty accurate, but my preference is now for nitrided 4150.

I hate bad triggers, but I don't need a great trigger if great means that it costs over $200. I have Rock River and Armalite two stage triggers; they are less than $80.

Cars
      02-08-2017 01:21 PM #43
      Was able to zero the sights in on Saturday in 22 degree weather. Nice inch and a half groupings at 50 yards with inexpensive ammo no less.
      I have enough tools now, that I can build my next rifle or maybe a pistol.
      A photo of the Saint is in the Firearms Photo Thread above.

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      02-10-2017 12:50 AM #44
      Mil-spec lowers are mil-spec lowers. 90% of the time you are paying for the logo, and most companies do not even make their own lowers. Anderson is fine by me!

Cars
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      02-10-2017 01:47 AM #45
      Mil-spec lowers are mil-spec lowers. 90% of the time you are paying for the logo, and most companies do not even make their own lowers. Anderson is fine by me!

Gotta save the money for Night Force optics I guess?

Cars
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      02-10-2017 10:00 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Gotta save the money for Night Force optics I guess?
      I've got one on my AR-10.

I'll never use it to its fully capability.

24. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      02-10-2017 04:41 PM #47

Yup. And you can find online who makes who's lowers. Lowers are a lot like TVs: multiple brands, few producers.

Cars
      02-14-2017 05:53 PM #48
      Looking to get some bulk .223 ammo.

What are some of the online sites you use?
      What brand ammo do you usually get?
      What brand ammo should I avoid, i.e. dirty?
      What's a good deal on 1,000 rounds?

26. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      02-14-2017 07:32 PM #49
      Looking to get some bulk .223 ammo.

What are some of the online sites you use?
      What brand ammo do you usually get?
      What brand ammo should I avoid, i.e. dirty?
      What's a good deal on 1,000 rounds?
      Wolf gold is from the same plant as Privi, and there is no steel involved.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf...59-p-4316.aspx

That's 31 cpr delivered. The Armory and Surplus Ammo have similar pricing. These shoot very well from a 1:12 20 inch barrel.

I don't mind steel cases, and have some 75gr Tula that shoots well from a 1:7. You can get Wolf steel for around 22 cents per round.

Cars
      04 .:R. 87 325IC/M50
      02-14-2017 11:56 PM #50
      I use http://www.stand1armory.com
      Have had great experience with their reloaded stuff when I go shooting. They always have deals and coupons to use as well to sweeten the deal. Cheap bulk and good ammo with cheap(ish) shipping, add to the fact their customer service is top notch. They get my biz for all of my target shooting ammo needs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast