I'm having troubles with my 16V PL engine for over a year already. I've read into how to tune this system, how it works and what every component should do. But I just can't figure out what's wrong...
The symptoms I have:
- The car smells as if it's running rich
- Starting is hard, once it runs it runs great at higher rpm's
- When cold the car sputters a bit in higher rpm's
- When I put the mixture leaner it won't start. playing with the idle screw doesn't help
- Won't idle, when you come off the throttle the engine stalls, comes back to life and then stalls again and stops
- Adjusting the idle screw makes the engine either not start, or come back to life after stalling a few times more before finally stalling
- Sometimes the starter motor has problems turning the engine over, I plan on installing a diesel starter motor
To properly adjust the car it should be idling as both the DPR current and idle speed valve duty cycle have to be measured and adjusted at idle.
I tried to make a habit of writing down how much I turned the mixture and idle screws so I can always go back to and adjustment where it will start and run when you keep your foot on the throttle. I use a Bentley manual for all the work I do on my car, because they're the best!
Now here's what I've done too it:
- Changed the injector O-rings and the plastic injector holders. Everything put together according to Bentley Publishers manual.
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Changed the O-ring around the idle screw
- Replaced litteraly every seal in the intake with new ones
- Installed a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold + new manifold to head seals
- New lambda sensor
- New spark plugs and spark plug leads
- New distributor cap and rotor
- Compression test: all four cylinders between 14 to 14.7 bar. That's more than it should originaly have, I guess that's why the starter motor sometimes has problems.
- All hose clamps in the intake are properly tightend
- On hoses which originaly don't have a hose clamp I put RVS or plastic zipties
- Checked the full intake circuit for vacuum leaks
- Checked the vacuum lines for leaks
- Checked the injectors, at idle they have the same flow. They have good spray pattern but with air flow meter lifted up completely they should deliver 80ml/40s and they only deliver 60-65ml/40s. Shouldn't be a problem for idle I think.
I also changed the timing belt so the timing should be correct, I always doublecheck this. I will check this again if I have time. The ignition has been put in it's basic setting where the rotor lines up with the mark on the distributor housing. To adjust this properly the engine should be able to idle which it doesn't.
I plan on doing a fuel pressure test but I lack the equipment to do this so that's one thing I have to sort out.
I also did the complete CIS-E electrical test as described by Bentley's in the manual, there where some odd things but I did this half a year ago so I'll check this and post it here.
I'm completely lost and desperate on this, so if anyone is able to give some advice shoot it!
The biggest problem I'm facing here is that it seems that everyone who had a thorough understanding of the CIS-E system is dead... So I'm searching for a KE-Jetronic know-it-all who can give some advice or point me into the right direction!