Fourtitude.com - Any wood workers out there?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-20-2019 10:17 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by 03_uni-B View Post
      This is what I wanted to say as well. Wow, do you have any more pictures of the door, or in process of making it?

I'm sure I'm over complicating it, but door builds intimidate me.
      Not to downplay all his other fine trim work but I would assume that the door itself was a purchased, prehung, preglazed unit. There certainly aren't many carpenters still building their own doors these days. They are built in shops that specialize in making doors as it takes some specialized equipment to do it right and in an efficient manner.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      05-21-2019 07:24 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Not to downplay all his other fine trim work but I would assume that the door itself was a purchased, prehung, preglazed unit. There certainly aren't many carpenters still building their own doors these days. They are built in shops that specialize in making doors as it takes some specialized equipment to do it right and in an efficient manner.
      Correct. I am nowhere near cool enough to have made that door. Sorry if I made it seem like I did.

Some guys build the jambs I don't even do that I square them up & shoot 'em.

It's a pre-hung unit from Tauge Lumber, manufacturered by Simpson.

This is what I wanted to say as well. Wow, do you have any more pictures of the door, or in process of making it?

I'm sure I'm over complicating it, but door builds intimidate me.
      Ah sorry man I bought it.
      I've made a few barn doors but never a raised panel door.
      If you started with some quality lumber and a pair of router bits, I bet it would still be impossible.

Last edited by Gitcha Sum; 05-21-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Cars
      '12 Golf R - sold, '04 GLI, '18 GTI
      05-21-2019 08:21 AM #103
      I'm so disappointed!!
      Not really, still some quality work on the rest of the reno.
      Doesn't mean That I still don't want to try a door...but I believe I am a ways away both in skills and tools.
      I follow a couple guys on IG who I have seen make doors, and I am always blown away.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-21-2019 04:11 PM #104
      I've done plenty of carpentry and wood working, and the biggest limiting factor you will always run into is that you ALWAYS want more tools

First it will be, "oh I just need a miter saw", then, well a router will really make this project pop. Then air compressor, nail guns, jigs, clamps, all kinds of sanders, planer, etc, etc. This list can go on FOREVER.

I LOVE doing it, and its not that hard to make some really cool stuff provided you have the right tools, but you WILL end up purchasing thousands of dollars in tools in a short timeframe if you really get into it.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      05-21-2019 04:14 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Some nightstands and a dresser I made this year. Excuse the filthy car hole in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Awesome work! I love the dresser. I really wish I had a workspace to build some of the stuff I want.

Cars
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      05-23-2019 11:12 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      I've done plenty of carpentry and wood working, and the biggest limiting factor you will always run into is that you ALWAYS want more tools
      Can confirm

I'm trying to show restraint and have some willpower. But... I love tools.

I'm still a woodworking noob but one thing I've found so far is it's not necessarily cheaper to "build your own" projects as one might think when you factor in cost of materials, tools, and your time. Seems like every new project "requires" a new tool.

I have a long wishlist of tools, but I've kind of set a rule for myself to only get a new tool if 1) a project necessitates it or it would really be useful, and 2) if I'll use it often enough to justify the cost
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

9. Member
      Cars
      05-23-2019 01:25 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post

Guilty.

I just bought the M18 little baby leaf blower for attending to my saw dust.

Logo carpenter pencils are only 53 cents each. Better buy 500, it's a business expense...

Cars
      Buy my BP Outback
      05-29-2019 08:16 AM #108
      Hoping someone can help me out. I added chair rail molding up our stairwell and upstairs hallway. I've literally completed everything, paint included, but this piece is still fighting me. I should have stopped about 6" short and brought it back to a flat angle to then make it an easy 90 degree cut on to the hallway wall. Have I messed up beyond fixing?

Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      I've pulled 1.2g on the toilet so color me unimpressed.
      FEELTHEBERN

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      05-29-2019 11:25 AM #109
      Looks like a tough cut. Just thinking out loud, I dunno the answer but here's what I'm thinking.

If you took the angle from the top wall corner edge down the slope of stairway molding. Lets say that's 33 degrees (should be close to typical stairway slope). Set the TOP of the molding next to the miter fence, rotate the saw to 33 degrees. Bevel the saw to 45 degrees.

If the angle is right. 90 degree or back bevel the other end for the length.

that would work right?? Might want to find some scrap wood to try it out on. Even a 1x3 or something just checking angles and cuts.
      Last edited by XClayX; 05-29-2019 at 11:42 AM.

12. Senior Member
      05-29-2019 11:45 AM #110
      Look up this guy and his YouTube chanel.

Has some awesome tips on trim stuff

https://instagram.com/carpentry_byma...=1xqsilwluetl8

Cars
      Buy my BP Outback
      05-29-2019 12:35 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      Looks like a tough cut. Just thinking out loud, I dunno the answer but here's what I'm thinking.

If you took the angle from the top wall corner edge down the slope of stairway molding. Lets say that's 33 degrees (should be close to typical stairway slope). Set the TOP of the molding next to the miter fence, rotate the saw to 33 degrees. Bevel the saw to 45 degrees.

If the angle is right. 90 degree or back bevel the other end for the length.

that would work right?? Might want to find some scrap wood to try it out on. Even a 1x3 or something just checking angles and cuts.
      If I remember correctly the angel is 38 from the stairs.

Thanks for the suggestion, I feel like I've done just about every cut I can think of but I will give that a try.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      I've pulled 1.2g on the toilet so color me unimpressed.
      FEELTHEBERN

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      05-29-2019 02:09 PM #112
      If you have a way to measure the molding slope I'd do it. Or get some cardboard creative action going and cut the slope out them mirror it on the saw. Goodluck.

Cars
      05-30-2019 02:36 PM #113
      I was able to test out my homemade router table for the first time over Memorial Day weekend.

Tried edge jointing a piece of maple with a rough edge:

Dust extraction works great. This is the surface after two passes, almost completely clean:

Then I experimented cutting some mortises with the router, and connected them with a floating tenon I cut on the table saw:

Just to see if it might work for other projects.

Then I threw in the jig saw and used it to cut a small MDF "case" for my new mini T-Square that showed up in the mail, similar to the one it's big brother came with:

I also finished cutting and assembling pieces to the other part of my floating bathroom vanity build (finally!)

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Cars
      07-22-2019 12:51 PM #114
      ^Nice work on the router. Reinforces I need one and a table.

I didn’t want to pay for new cabinets in the laundry room so I decided to replace the doors on my existing ones. Gave the shaker style a shot. I’m not unhappy with them for my first try at anything like this. I used the table saw for all of it. Like I said, I can see the need for the router now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Member
      Cars
      07-30-2019 08:24 AM #115
      ^ uni-B, your doors came out good. Sand them up, use a little wood filler (or glue & sawdust as you sand) and they'll be killer.

My daughter wanted to make a sign for my old man's bulldog. She wants to make a doghouse next...

Cars
      Manual Avant
      08-01-2019 07:28 AM #116
      Can confirm

I'm still a woodworking noob but one thing I've found so far is it's not necessarily cheaper to "build your own" projects as one might think when you factor in cost of materials, tools, and your time. Seems like every new project "requires" a new tool.

I have a long wishlist of tools, but I've kind of set a rule for myself to only get a new tool if 1) a project necessitates it or it would really be useful, and 2) if I'll use it often enough to justify the cost
      FOR SURE....

I've done a couple projects recently for friends, and even using basic pine, the cost of materials alone is usually more than just buying china made crap from amazon or wayfair. One was a white MCM coffee table, another was a floating wall mounted entertainment center. The only special part is that I painted it in automotive urethane. While I enjoy making the stuff, even though I charge more than double what you could buy something for, including time and materials, its not a great business model, at least without the tools I need.

Cars
      08-12-2019 04:22 PM #117
      Another shop project in the works for me. It's not quite finished but far enough along that I can post it I think...

My new Table Saw Cart:

4 flush / inset drawers of varying heights to hold blades, grrriper 3D, zero clearance inserts, blade wrenches, push sticks, dust mask, angle finder, etc etc.

Back is recessed for future jig storage, and made it wider than the saw so the area to the left can hold off cuts or stock to be cut in batch without having to turn around or reach somewhere else.

Saw is mounted on rubber washers to reduce vibrations. Cabinet is edgebanded 1/2" PureBond birch ply from Home Depot, finished with MinWax wipe on poly.

I still need to --

Polyurethane the drawers
      Make some pulls
      Design and build some internal drawer storage / organizers

Cars
      08-13-2019 08:16 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      ^ uni-B, your doors came out good. Sand them up, use a little wood filler (or glue & sawdust as you sand) and they'll be killer.
      Thanks! I can see the need for a router now. While I can do the mortise and tenon joints using the table saw, I'm sure I can be far more precise with a router.

Nicholam, that table looks great. Your organization is making my OCD happy. I'm hoping to finish up some house projects, then dive back into garage organization. Where are you getting some of the ideas for what you're building? Any sites, or facebook or just you? ha. some good ideas, either way.

21. 08-13-2019 11:30 AM #119
      Another shop project in the works for me. It's not quite finished but far enough along that I can post it I think...

My new Table Saw Cart:

4 flush / inset drawers of varying heights to hold blades, grrriper 3D, zero clearance inserts, blade wrenches, push sticks, dust mask, angle finder, etc etc.

Back is recessed for future jig storage, and made it wider than the saw so the area to the left can hold off cuts or stock to be cut in batch without having to turn around or reach somewhere else.

Saw is mounted on rubber washers to reduce vibrations. Cabinet is edgebanded 1/2" PureBond birch ply from Home Depot, finished with MinWax wipe on poly.

I still need to --

Polyurethane the drawers
      Make some pulls
      Design and build some internal drawer storage / organizers

Nice work! I have been watching along over on garagejournal as well. I'm about to rearrange my garage away from mechanic focused to wood working focused and start making some furniture for the house so I really appreciate you sharing your ideas for tool storage/functionality. How do you like the Dewalt saw? I have been looking at the 7491rs for its dado capabilities but I'm not sure if I want to go jobsite style or the hybrid route but your cart has me thinking! Do you have any plans to add a shelf or support to the right of the saw to support larger stock or do you stick to breaking down full sheets with the track saw and then cutting the smaller pieces to final size with the table saw?

Cars
      08-13-2019 11:33 AM #120
      Thanks! I can see the need for a router now. While I can do the mortise and tenon joints using the table saw, I'm sure I can be far more precise with a router.

Nicholam, that table looks great. Your organization is making my OCD happy. I'm hoping to finish up some house projects, then dive back into garage organization. Where are you getting some of the ideas for what you're building? Any sites, or facebook or just you? ha. some good ideas, either way.

Thanks! It's going to be a long process but I've realized after having a kid that efficiency is more key than ever. So my ultimate goal is to have everything in it's place and reduce setup and clean up time as much as possible. The irony is that achieving that is going to take a lot of valuable time away from "real" projects, but I also enjoy working on the "shop" and hopefully will make it a more enjoyable place to get stuff done in the long run.

As far as ideas, I definitely get inspiration and designs from others. Usually I research, look at a bunch of examples others have done, and then tweak it to fit my needs vs. doing a direct copy of something. I'm on the Garage Journal forums and there are a ton of excellent threads pertaining to garage organization on there, for every type of garage you can think of. This is one of my all time favorites that is VERY OCD, and incorporates wood, metal, and automotive:

Tooling Re(Organization)

I got the router table design from a Rockler blog post / article.

The MFT/Paulk workbench I made is a homemade adaptation of Festool's MFT/3 bench combined with a Ron Paulk bench. Many, many examples of these out there and I'm very happy with it in my small space.

I also watch a bunch of woodworking channels on YouTube that I can share if you're interested. And believe it or not, Pinterest is actually a great resource for images. Like if you search for table saw carts on Pinterest you'll get a million different ideas.

Also, just plain old Google Images.

23. 08-13-2019 11:49 AM #121

Thanks! It's going to be a long process but I've realized after having a kid that efficiency is more key than ever. So my ultimate goal is to have everything in it's place and reduce setup and clean up time as much as possible. The irony is that achieving that is going to take a lot of valuable time away from "real" projects, but I also enjoy working on the "shop" and hopefully will make it a more enjoyable place to get stuff done in the long run.

As far as ideas, I definitely get inspiration and designs from others. Usually I research, look at a bunch of examples others have done, and then tweak it to fit my needs vs. doing a direct copy of something. I'm on the Garage Journal forums and there are a ton of excellent threads pertaining to garage organization on there, for every type of garage you can think of. This is one of my all time favorites that is VERY OCD, and incorporates wood, metal, and automotive:

Tooling Re(Organization)

I got the router table design from a Rockler blog post / article.

The MFT/Paulk workbench I made is a homemade adaptation of Festool's MFT/3 bench combined with a Ron Paulk bench. Many, many examples of these out there and I'm very happy with it in my small space.

I also watch a bunch of woodworking channels on YouTube that I can share if you're interested. And believe it or not, Pinterest is actually a great resource for images. Like if you search for table saw carts on Pinterest you'll get a million different ideas.

Also, just plain old Google Images.

I'm pretty sure we probably just follow each other around on the internet then cause I am constantly on all of those sites you listed.

I've already built a 4x4 version of the Paulk workbench and I love its versatility. I still need to build a base for it but I am waiting until I have my table saw situation figured out so I can build it at a proper height to be used as an out feed table.

Cars
      08-13-2019 12:10 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
      Nice work! I have been watching along over on garagejournal as well. I'm about to rearrange my garage away from mechanic focused to wood working focused and start making some furniture for the house so I really appreciate you sharing your ideas for tool storage/functionality. How do you like the Dewalt saw? I have been looking at the 7491rs for its dado capabilities but I'm not sure if I want to go jobsite style or the hybrid route but your cart has me thinking! Do you have any plans to add a shelf or support to the right of the saw to support larger stock or do you stick to breaking down full sheets with the track saw and then cutting the smaller pieces to final size with the table saw?
      Thanks! Yeah, I have quite a few more pics on garagejournal.

That's cool! My purpose, too, is to make furniture for the house eventually. So far every time I'm thinking about it though I figure there's a more efficient tool or setup to do the project and then just end up building something for the shop instead.

I'm no mechanic or anything, but when I originally started re-vamping my garage I fully intended for it to be a "car space" for the GTI. And now I'm full swing in the other direction and want it to be nothing but a wood shop. Something about woodworking is just addicting to me.

The DeWalt saw does the job. It definitely has some drawbacks, namely:

- lack of power for thick hardwoods
      - table surface is not perfectly flat... probably the most disappointing aspect
      - miter gauge is garbage, throw it away
      - miter channels are not consistent widths (they are wider at beginning and end than in the middle)
      - dust collection is just ok
      - not a lot of table surface to support workpiece before the blade

Some of these things can be somewhat fixed or accuracy improved with a nice crosscut sled, zero clearance insert, a good thin ripping blade.

Pros are:

- it's compact
      - the rack and pinion fence is A++ for a jobsite saw. I like it better than any other brand of jobsite saw and is the primary reason I got the DeWalt.

Despite it's drawbacks, you can actually get some very accurate and clean results with it, and it is one of my favorite tools. So overall if you're tight on space like me, I'd recommend. If you have dedicated space for a full size saw on the other hand and have the extra cash, I'd recommend that instead. If going jobsite I'd get the largest model you can, the 7491rs would be good.

It probably seems like I'm bashing it, but I'm not. Just nit-picking. Simple fact its it's not going to give you the quality of a full size stationary cabinet saw. But many, many people out there using these DeWalts and for me it's perfectly adequate for my skill level.

I did actually plan to make a smaller box as a material support to the left of the saw that could nest underneath if needed:

As far as the right of the saw, the fence has a flip-down support on that side.

For large sheets like 4'x4' or 4'x8' I 100% prefer the track saw, it is fantastic. I think because of the minimal support in front of the blade and short fence, even with a side support it's strongly preferable to break down large sheet goods before using the jobsite saw.

Cars
      08-13-2019 12:42 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
      I'm pretty sure we probably just follow each other around on the internet then cause I am constantly on all of those sites you listed.

I've already built a 4x4 version of the Paulk workbench and I love its versatility. I still need to build a base for it but I am waiting until I have my table saw situation figured out so I can build it at a proper height to be used as an out feed table.

Wow, very nice! What method did you use to drill the hole pattern?

With a bench that big I've seen a number of people suspend a jobsite saw off the bench with some metal rods, and then dado reliefs for a crosscut sled / miter gauge

26. 08-13-2019 01:17 PM #124
      Wow, very nice! What method did you use to drill the hole pattern?

With a bench that big I've seen a number of people suspend a jobsite saw off the bench with some metal rods, and then dado reliefs for a crosscut sled / miter gauge
      I appreciate the honest feedback on the saw! The fence system seems to be the #1 drawer to the Dewalt saws for sure. I think I will have room for a full size saw but I do like the additional storage that can be added with a smaller saw. I think its just going to come down to what I can find to work with the space and budget once I get a few other things figured out for me space.

For the holes I used a template I made out of some scrap wood and drilled the holes as precise as I could with my drill press and then just went through and drilled them with a forstner bit and moved the template down the line as I went. I left a portion undrilled as I was intending to put a router plate in there for space maximization but with the garage rearrange I am leaning towards a dedicated router table or a router table in the wing of a table saw depending which saw I end up with.

Last edited by WunTon; 08-13-2019 at 02:14 PM.

27. Member
      Cars
      08-13-2019 04:42 PM #125
      Just finished a large cedar pergola. They'll set the rest of the travertine then I can azek wrap the columns.

There's an arbor and bench too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast