Fourtitude.com - Snow tires with Offroad/Mud Tread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2019 Audi SQ5
      11-23-2016 04:58 PM #1
      I want to buy snow tires for my Q5 but I really want something that has an aggressive off road tread. Are the all terrains or mud terrains that are rated for snow anywhere close to as "good" as a dedicated snow tire like a blizzak?

The best thing I have found on my own that comes in 19" are these.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

My only concern is they may actually be a downgrade on snowy road/ice conditions compared to my new All seasons.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      18 Ara Blue S3, 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      11-23-2016 09:21 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Veedubya View Post
      I want to buy snow tires for my Q5 but I really want something that has an aggressive off road tread. Are the all terrains or mud terrains that are rated for snow anywhere close to as "good" as a dedicated snow tire like a blizzak?

The best thing I have found on my own that comes in 19" are these.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

My only concern is they may actually be a downgrade on snowy road/ice conditions compared to my new All seasons.
      All Terrains will never be as good as a dedicated snow tire, due to the tread design and rubber compound.

that being said I have Two friends that run the duratracs year around on an F150 and 1500 Silverado. They don't have any problems with them. Duratrac are considered a aggressive all terrain.

true mud tires usually suck the snow.
      18 Audi S3 Ara Blue, magma red interior
      91 GMC Syclone-build in process
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      08 Duramax- Toy rig (474hp, 725ft-lbs)

Cars
      2017 Explorer
      11-24-2016 10:40 AM #3
      The biggest differences you'll find between something like an all weather duratrac and a dedicated snow tire is that a dedicated snow tire will have more siping and be a softer rubber that doesn't get as hard when it gets cold, but won't last if you run them year round.
      Will they work well on snow and ice, absolutely, but they won't be as good as a true snow tire.
      °.lllllll.° - Gone but not forgotten

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      2016 Chevy Tahoe LT
      11-24-2016 03:12 PM #4
      I agree, nothing is going to beat a dedicated snow tire but I have KO2s on my Tacoma and they work great in snow and year round. If ice becomes an issue you can add siping but I never thought that was necessary.

Cars
      2017 VW GTI SE; 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
      11-25-2016 11:48 AM #5
      I have Duratracs on my Pathfinder (EDIT: 245/75R16) - they held their own in the big snow storm we had earlier this year - they're snow rated/certified. They're fine for me (its a beater), but they're not quiet and have a decent amount of sidewall squish when going around turns - not sure if that's something I'd want on a more performance oriented SUV (like a Q5 or the like).
      Last edited by quattrothatcould; 12-03-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Cars
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      11-29-2016 10:56 PM #6
      Keep in mind it all depends on how wide you go with them as well. You'll notice a huge difference between say a 225 and a 285 in the snow despite being the same tire.

I think the BF Goodrich KO and KO2 do well in the snow as long as stay pretty calm with them. Remember, it's not the big chunks and cuts in the tire that handles the snow, it's the little tiny siping that makes the difference.

Cars
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      12-01-2016 12:14 AM #7
      General Grabber AT2s are excellent in the snow. They're an A/T tire, but they're stamped with the mountain/snowflake symbol and are studdable.

Cars
      '91 Audi 90 20V Quattro, '95 Range Rover
      02-21-2019 02:21 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by IJM View Post
      General Grabber AT2s are excellent in the snow. They're an A/T tire, but they're stamped with the mountain/snowflake symbol and are studdable.
      Was going to say the same.

And a buddy of mine at work runs the Duratracs on his supercharged Range Rover overlander, and he says they're great in the snow.
      Listening to Minor Threat is like turning on the Bat-Signal... In a few minutes everything will be OK.

Originally posted by Matt15:
      don't try to make sense out of the VW scene. you will drive yourself mad.